Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 18:22   #16306
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post

A good one will cost you near about a lakh of rupees. See this.
What's one lakh for an IT guy? "Paisa toh haath ka dhul hai" (Money is just the dirt of hand) Moreover with mounting petrol & diesel prices, am sure one lakh will be more than worthy investment. Returns would be within a year if not 6 months with the kind of fuel wasted in the jams not considering the time saved. Am sure he can become the "Blue Eyed Boy' of the boss. Promotions, incentives & bonuses.

On a different note, about a year odd back, we had news of the top honchos of the IT World threatening to move out of Bangalore. Has any company moved out yet?
Old 26th October 2018, 19:33   #16307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The tax benefits of a SEZ is too great to ignore for Tech and IT firms.
The management doesn't really care about the employee as most decision makers have option of WFH, flexi timings, chauffer driven cars.
(Straight from the horses mouth)
It is not only that. Now that many IT professionals have kids studying in schools closer to where they are staying, and spouses also working, it will be very difficult for any family (even folks from middle-management) to move to completely different location in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Given that Blore ORR is ultra-narrow (yes, 3+3 lanes is ultra-narrow, given that there are no sufficiently broad alternate routes that are (approximately) parallel to the ORR some 1-2 kms away from it, and hence all vehicles end up coming to ORR), I have been crying hoarse to abolish the concept of a segregated service road and instead merge it with main carriageway. Benefits. We would then get:
- A 5+5 lane ORR with broader footpaths.
- Skywalks that emanate from and terminate at those footpaths as opposed to terminating bween svc road and ORR (along with gentle ramps without elevators instead of steps + non-functional elevators, bcoz a wider/spacier footpath would enable gentle ramps as in Thane).
- Exiting-from and merging-onto ORR would be a non-issue (as opposed to a near 90 degree turn that one makes today at select openings to exit, when we have a *segregated* svc road)
- Being a broader 5+5 lane ORR, U-Turns can be enabled at several places without conflicts (with traffic islanding, as at ISRO junction)
- One-ways would be automatically ensured (as opposed to the situation today in a *segregated* svc road, where at several places you have a one-way intended, but yet often rickshaws, tanker trucks, 2-wheelers, etc violate the one-way)
This whole concept of split flyovers have made the mess worse. Such poorly designed infrastructure.

Even now it is not too late. They should demolish all the existing "split flyovers" and underpasses; Instead they should build multiple single pillar, 6-lane flyovers (like the one on Airport road) that span across 3-4 junctions (i.e a couple of kms).

This can be done along with the ORR metro on a war-footing and complete within a couple of years.
Old 26th October 2018, 20:30   #16308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
I disagree with your points that the whole Peenya area and Gorgunte Palya junction have turned stress free. If the Cauvery Junction underpass is one of the biggest blunders, the railway bridge comes in a close second. (It was hurriedly finished off to impress foreign delegates when Bangalore hosted an international investment meet at the BIEC)

It is narrow and poorly constructed that heavy loaded vehicles struggle on it and this creates traffic snarls all the way till BEL circle and also on the opposite side.
It used to be a nightmare prior to Gorugunte palya railway bridge. Absolute horror. I travel few times a month between hebbal and interior peenya. My route includes this railway crossing, taj circle, service road near McDonalds and a left turn into Peenya. I try to travel between 8-9am and 4-5pm. I literally breeze past this entire stretch both onward and return (return is even more smooth with free left at Taj). While returning, there is also an alternate parallel road to this railway bridge if Google Maps shows congestion near the bridge. Unless I miss my timings and hit peak hours I rarely had an issue in this area. The worst case I have seen is traffic piles up from the middle of the railway bridge upto Taj signal. But even then it is very predictable and traffic moves slowly but in an orderly fashion - the Taj signal is very well manned by traffic cops.

Yes in absolute terms, it is still horrible Indian traffic but things are lot more orderly. I hate it when there is traffic jam and also vehicles criss crossing (hallmark of KR Puram bridge junction). I don't mind going slow as long as things are orderly and I can listen to music and read some stuff on the phone while stopped. This is not how Manyata/KR puram/Bagmane/Marathalli,etc. stretch is. I would any day prefer trucks to cabs and shuttle buses. Poor truck guys, they yield a lot.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 00:35   #16309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

This is going to last at least a month. Affecting people coming from Hebbal towards Manyatha completely and people on the other side partially (those looking to enter Manyatha).
It is half hour past midnight and the situation is bad even now. It's been 20 mins since I crossed hebbal and manyata is still nowhere to be seen.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 09:52   #16310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
It used to be a nightmare prior to Gorugunte palya railway bridge. Absolute horror. I travel few times a month between hebbal and interior peenya. My route includes this railway crossing, taj circle, service road near McDonalds and a left turn into Peenya. I try to travel between 8-9am and 4-5pm. I literally breeze past this entire stretch both onward and return (return is even more smooth with free left at Taj). While returning, there is also an alternate parallel road to this railway bridge if Google Maps shows congestion near the bridge. Unless I miss my timings and hit peak hours I rarely had an issue in this area. The worst case I have seen is traffic piles up from the middle of the railway bridge upto Taj signal. But even then it is very predictable and traffic moves slowly but in an orderly fashion - the Taj signal is very well manned by traffic cops.
Not just around Peenya, also the entry into the city via Yeshwanthpur is relatively stress free these days. A lot of factors have helped ease out traffic around Peenya esp when you are coming from Tumkur side.
  • Elevated road
  • NICE - A lot of traffic branches off here going to various parts of the city
  • Elevated road
  • Plenty of options to go towards Jalahalli side from under the elevated road
  • Gorgunte Palya railway bridge - Generally the traffic piles up on the opposite side coming towards Gorguntepalya due to the signal. But on the other side it flows smoothly.
  • Separate signal free lane for straight moving traffic at Gorguntepalya signal
  • Removal of signal and right turn for traffic coming IISc towards Mathikere. This has prevented pile up on the Yeshwanthpur flyover and keeps traffic moving all along the stretch right after Gorguntepalya signal

Yesterday I had some work in Hosur in the late afternoon. I returned late in the evening during peak hours. I took the NICE road option. It was a nightmare driving from Hosur past Attibele toll and NICE toll booths, both toll gates took a lot of time to cross. Much more than Nelamangala and JAS toll booths during busy days. The traffic was very slow upto NICE gates and that NICE road is one HELLISH road. You will fear for your life!!

I breezed through Tumkur road, Gorgutnepalya and Yeshwanthpur without even halting once. The moment I reached home, I thanked my stars I don't have to drive towards that part of the city very often.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 12:11   #16311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
It is half hour past midnight and the situation is bad even now. It's been 20 mins since I crossed hebbal and manyata is still nowhere to be seen.
My God! Even at midnight? I exited Manyatha at around 5 p.m. after inching towards the exit gate slowly with the cops doing the 'signal' work.

The half lane that is closed for white topping has caused utter chaos all over the place. White topping as such is not a bad idea considering the long term benefits notwithstanding the short term pain. But Bangalore's traffic is at astronomical levels now that even the slightest deviation/closure is impossible.

Or in other words, Bangalore's traffic is like a bucket filled with water to the absolute brim that keeps spilling every now and then when the bucket is moved.
Any closure of any road is like running with the bucket in hand .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 11:26   #16312
BHPian

I moved to Noida for a couple of months on a personal commitment. After driving here for 4 months, I'm literally counting the days off to when I can return to my beloved Bangalore! The sheer lawlessness of traffic, utter disregard for traffic rules, total lack of policing.. everything is on a scale that beggars the situation in Bangalore. I'd like to formally withdraw every rant I've ever made on Bangalore traffic

On a serious note, I wonder how long it will take for the situation in India to improve. My wife got her 2 wheeler license last week after practising in empty playgrounds for 6 months. She told me there were people at the track that day who could barely balance the vehicle during the exam, forget following traffic rules who still ended up getting the DL.
shreyascashyap is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 23:38   #16313
Distinguished - BHPian

Residents around Bellandur & Sarjapur area had made a human chain on Saturday to protest against deplorable living conditions.

Few of the major concerns raised was those mentioned here in this thread multiple times.

News link

Quote:
Their demands included motorable roads, proper drainage and sewer management, efficient public transport and a well-functioning solid waste management system.
Quote:
In a statement, the citizens said Bellandur, the 27 square kilometre ward, is one of the largest wards in Bengaluru, with over 220 crores of tax collection for BBMP, but in return the ward gets Rs 7 crore back in BBMP’s budgetary allocation, quoting a Janaagraha analysis of the 2017-18 budget.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 23:57   #16314
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe it was the Sunday evening effect, but had a very peaceful drive on ORR- Hebbal-Airport road to Yelahanka and return was via Bagalur Road-Thanisandra Road-ORR.

Somewhere on Thanisandra road (before Sobha city I think) there was a big signage across the road saying left for Old Madras Road and straight for ORR, but I don't remember seeing any major road to left, was it meant for the K Narayana Pura cross that goes towards Salarpuria Gold Summit/Dodda Gubbi ?
Old 29th October 2018, 07:08   #16315
BHPian

Friends, please avoid Garudacharpalya Junction on the Whitefield Main road and nearby areas today. The metro folks have hit a gas pipeline nearby and the road is completely blocked from all directions. People moving towards ITPL from the city can plan alternate routes.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 08:32   #16316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Maybe it was the Sunday evening effect, but had a very peaceful drive on ORR- Hebbal-Airport road to Yelahanka and return was via Bagalur Road-Thanisandra Road-ORR.

Somewhere on Thanisandra road (before Sobha city I think) there was a big signage across the road saying left for Old Madras Road and straight for ORR, but I don't remember seeing any major road to left, was it meant for the K Narayana Pura cross that goes towards Salarpuria Gold Summit/Dodda Gubbi ?
There's a road called avalahalli road that connects salarpuria gold summit to brigade exotica on old Madras road.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 09:03   #16317
Distinguished - BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20181029wa000201.jpeg
Got this on WhatsApp. Expect a huge jam that side
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 09:26   #16318
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
There's a road called avalahalli road that connects salarpuria gold summit to brigade exotica on old Madras road.
I have taken this road from Dodda Gubbi and turned off at Kalkere, so haven't taken the rest of the route till Old Madras road. I wasn't sure seeing that big sign on the road if it was really for the same road Though Thanisandra road is now 4 lane with median, the K Narayanapura-Dodda Gubbi-Avalahalli is completely an undivided road so was a bit confused with that big sign!
Old 30th October 2018, 14:58   #16319
BHPian

I had stopped taking ORR ever since the white topping mess started around Manyata. Yesterday, I was travelling around 12.30 PM and decided to take it as the jam had started mainly only from the Veerannapalya flyover. When I was stuck on the flyover, it was shaking quite a bit. I don't know how long our flyovers will last with this kind of traffic. The fact that the contracts are given to some toadies of the politicans and the thought about the 'engineers' involved in these projects make me nervous. I've become extra paranoid too, ever since that flyover collapse in Calcutta.

Last edited by theredliner : 30th October 2018 at 15:03.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 15:44   #16320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
When I was stuck on the [Veerannapalya] flyover, it was shaking quite a bit. I don't know how long our flyovers will last with this kind of traffic.
A bit of flex can be engineered into structures like this, because it is safer to dissipate energy through motion, rather than make it so rigid that stresses build up in the structure.

The danger occurs when the frequency of these vibrations approaches the natural frequency of the structure - at this time, the vibrations will become self-reinforcing (i.e. amplifying the effect), which can quickly cascade into a failure. The most notable example was the Galloping Gertie bridge which collapsed due to wind action!

Like you, one can only hope that due diligence was performed during the design and construction phases, and that the only cheating that occurred was overbilling.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks