Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:44   #16336
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Considering cabs like Ola and Uber use Google maps for their services wouldn't they all be suggested the same route (circuitous at times) through already crowded roads? I say this based on suggestions that Google maps has given many a time.

A local resident would know the side roads and make quick progress compared to those who aren't of the alternate routes. This could skew the reports. I
Old 3rd November 2018, 09:23   #16337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Considering cabs like Ola and Uber use Google maps for their services wouldn't they all be suggested the same route (circuitous at times) through already crowded roads?

A local resident would know the side roadsI
I think google maps provided routes are dynamic based on the best alternate route method. However if 2 cabs were travelling in same route at the same time then google probably gives the same directions. Need to check if google reroutes a third vehicle to a different route if the alternate route also gets clogged.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 09:30   #16338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
What is the source for this data?
It is an agency called Ola Mobility Institute. They have a website here: http://ola.institute/ from where you can ostensibly request the report. I put in my email address yesterday (when this news broke) but still haven't received the report. If anyone is successful please make it available to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Rightly said. It is proven in multiple cities that the likes of Ola/Uber have increased congestion.
That is a US-centric report (Original report is here), which I don't think is directly applicable to India (given the wide disparity in car ownership, smartphone usage, mobile data affordability, digital payments access etc.). I think Ola/Uber fills a gap between outright vehicle ownership and heavy dependency on mass public transport. The gap that was earlier filled by autos but with increasing affluence levels and demand for comfort, needs several differentiated service levels.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:28   #16339

We know. We see this everyday. We do this every day. We get stuck in the traffic jam this creates everyday. We are Bangalore!
vasanthcullen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:34   #16340
Senior - BHPian

Wednesday 31 Oct.

We had a workshop to attend in Whitefield at the Sheraton Grand. Left Koramangala at 1130 am. Reached Whitefield via Indiranagar, Bypanahalli etc after one and a half hours of crawl stop start traffic.

Finished the workshop and all pleasantries and got into the vehicle at 718pm. Reached my home in HSR at 945pm.

What a fantastic trip!

Couple weeks ago, landed from Mumbai at 715pm at BIAL. Reached home in an office booked cab at 945pm.

Absolutely wonderful experience!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 19:30   #16341
BHPian

Yesterday and today were the fastest I have ever reached Manyata in 9 years on either bike or car!

I used sixth gear inside Manyata .

In fact having got so used to Bangalore's horrible traffic, I almost got bored today .
Old 8th November 2018, 19:57   #16342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Yesterday and today were the fastest I have ever reached Manyata in 9 years on either bike or car!

I used sixth gear inside Manyata .

In fact having got so used to Bangalore's horrible traffic, I almost got bored today .
Yes! I also reached office yesterday in 20 mins flat, usually takes at least 40 mins (record max is 2 hrs). My commute is 8 km, mostly on the ORR from Hebbal side. I just wish this would continue forever! On the other hand, it will be hell on Monday morning I assume. I still remember the mad traffic after Dussehra holidays.
Old 8th November 2018, 23:15   #16343
Senior - BHPian

Today was HEAVEN. 12 minutes from HSR to Koramangala (office) at 0830hrs.
HEAVEN!
Felt like Bangalore was in 1995....Here is a pic of the road going alongside Agara Lake.
I didn’t drive.
I took an Uber.

It was just super fantastic.

Just because all the crowds were gone away on holiday and Bangalore came back to where it used to be, one of the best cities in India.

I am now shivering shuddering in sheer dread of the return of the EVIL TRAFFIC!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-6498709123fe41c2b3179d0b889dd4a2.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 09:58   #16344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Today was HEAVEN.
Felt like Bangalore was in 1995
I am now shivering shuddering in sheer dread of the return of the EVIL TRAFFIC!
I agree, it really did feel like the early-mid 90's, when I used to be able to do cross-city drives in 30-45 minutes on a weekday. I did my 11km commute in 25 minutes this morning, something that I can't do even at midnight on some days

We had better have a good plan for Monday morning - it is going to be pure HELL!!
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 10:07   #16345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

We had better have a good plan for Monday morning - it is going to be pure HELL!!
I am clear as to what to do on Monday - WFH or simply take leave.
Old 9th November 2018, 10:41   #16346
BHPian

Yesterday left office at around 3:30 PM from Seshadri Road (Near Anand Rao Circle) to Metro Cash & Carry on Kanakapura Road.

There was heavy police deployment from KR Circle to all the way till RV Road end. All the signals were green, no vehicles were parked on the sides, police at all the junctions, every 50 meters and they were waving at the vehicles moving in that direction and egging on to drive faster.

Had a superb drive till RV Road end and then turned right towards Banashankari Temple for the usual traffic. Realized only later on that Andhra CM Chandrababu Naidu was in Bangalore and on the way to visit Former PM Devegowda in Padmanabhanagar.

Lovely drive it was though short lived. Feel sad for the commuters stuck on the other direction

Regards
Old 9th November 2018, 10:56   #16347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I agree, it really did feel like the early-mid 90's, when I used to be able to do cross-city drives in 30-45 minutes on a weekday. I did my 11km commute in 25 minutes this morning, something that I can't do even at midnight on some days

Gods Grace I m travelling out for a week starting tomorrow. At least I ll miss the chaos which ensues immediately here in BLR after one of these long weekends.

What a sad life! Sitting in dread like this of the traffic outside!
Old 9th November 2018, 12:17   #16348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I am clear as to what to do on Monday - WFH or simply take leave.

Nowadays I start from home at 1:30 pm and return from office at 10:30 pm. This timing seems to be better from traffic point of view
Old 11th November 2018, 01:48   #16349
Senior - BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/66563256.cms

No surprises on being the most congested city.
I dread driving in Bangalore when I come in December :(
Old 11th November 2018, 17:55   #16350
BHPian

Please make a note of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1541939136315.jpg  

sbalagru6 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks