Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 16:37   #16486
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The Indian style of driving . Move ahead to the next available gap. Where you want to go after that is secondary! If the gap leads to somewhere that you don't want to go, find/create/wait for another gap that leads to wherever you want to go!

Jokes apart, yes that is a ridiculous situation over there in that area .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 17:00   #16487
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
The Indian style of driving . Move ahead to the next available gap. Where you want to go after that is secondary! If the gap leads to somewhere that you don't want to go, find/create/wait for another gap that leads to wherever you want to go!

Jokes apart, yes that is a ridiculous situation over there in that area .
If there is a gap, it has to be occupied. Veni, vidi, vici. Ashwamedha ritual - if two vehicles are vying for that sweet spot behind a BMTC bus (sweeper) that is roaming 3 lanes away from the left - that is the spot to take. The ritual starts by aggressive darts to get in front of each other at every start cycle of the start-stop mating dance, followed by vicious stares and the steeliest eye-to-eye-combat. Ultimately the guy who chickens will never attempt to take on the winner - proper jungle laws. He will find someone more chickeny than him (preferably a lady driver) and continue the dare game. Where to actually reach, which lane to be in for easy exit/entry - all this be damned.
The tempo travellers & indica taxis are the lions of the jungle - lots of roaring (horns blaring) and aggressive posturing. The BMTC/janani/infants buses are the elephants (mere presence is enough, seldom use of horns). The water tankers and cement mixers - they are like the matrix, they bend space-time.

Last edited by venkyhere : 5th December 2018 at 17:04.
venkyhere is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 18:47   #16488
BHPian

The Indian way of driving follows only one rule:

Thou shalst not come from above.

Coming from anywhere else is ok.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 18:56   #16489
Distinguished - BHPian

Well the grand EcoWorld jam continues. Though this road is usually jammed everyday at this time. But since it's been on since noon, this is certainly a special day.

Interesting to watch a large crowd of people still waiting for the EcoWorld minibuses to shuttle them between their offices and the main gate. The distance at it's maximum must be under 2km and with a jam this size, it makes much more sense to walk that distance. Much faster, there are two broad walkways on either side of the road, shaded, bushes, it's not raining, it's evening, most people waiting for the bus are in their 20s and 30s. Yet we wait for the vehicle. Beginning to understand why the push to shift to public transport will be hard to effect among the middle and upper classes. A lot of us just won't accept even a short walk!
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 20:26   #16490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It’s quite interesting how the old routes are probably the faster and better routes, despite the signals.
My commute is primarily through the city roads. Though it takes close to 1.5 hours, almost 50% of the time is just spent waiting at the signal. Once you get the green, you have a fairly decent ride to the next signal at 25-30 kmph. I just turn off the engine and relax till I have to start again.

Whereas on ORR, it is inching at 5-10 kmph constantly for the entire trip. It consumes a lot more petrol and takes a bigger toll on the vehicle and the driver
jaganm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 20:31   #16491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
It is the same everywhere, 80ft, 7th Cross, 8th Main all the roads leading to IRR are choc-a-block from 8.30am onwards. Once on this side of Koramangala there is no way out. Somehow return journey from 6th Block to 1st Block isn't that bad.

They started all the flyovers at the same time but unable to finish any section, I also do not see any work during the day. Hope they are working during the night.
They have also (and rightly so) blocked the 4 wheelers from the narrow bylanes of Ejipura. I use my scooter to go from hsr to indiranagar metro and usually complete the journey within 30 minutes without any major stoppage. In a car, it would easily take a lot more than an hour.

The return is a different story though, the jam at ejipura signal extends for over half a km and takes almost 15-20 minutes to clear. I am seriously considering using my bicycle as an alternative, as I can just get on to the footpath and ride/push it to clear the signal
Old 6th December 2018, 21:22   #16492
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT: Can anyone confirm that the 6.30 pm DEMU from Carmelaram to Yeshwantpur is still in service?
Old 6th December 2018, 22:28   #16493
Senior - BHPian

Just got a Whatsapp Forward:

Hosur Road entry towards Silk board to BTM Banashankari.. closed due to Metro work. Main reason due to Jayadeva flyover demolition... If anyone is traveling in this route please plan your travel accordingly....

Can someone validate if this just another whatsapp rumor or if this is really happening now?
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 02:11   #16494
BHPian

I disagree with the mirror smashing or any kind of damage to others property. @nikhn, Please think of all the possibilities that could arise out of the situation, rather than thinking in one way.

After going through the last 15-20 posts, I agree with what others have written about. I would like to add some more. I drive both 2 and 4 wheeler, as most of the Bangaloreans do to curtail carbon footprints ( actual reason is to save time and avoid parking hassles).

1. Every mistake is not intentional - Many of us will be driving subconsciously, to the same spot everyday. So, it is possible to get distracted.

2. Nobody's perfect in this world - We ignore or rectify the mistakes of our near and dear, but don't even give a chance to outsiders.

3. Sometimes, when I make a mistake on the road, I feel to say sorry to the other user, but it's not possible in live traffic.

4. Sometimes, Vehicles get pushed to a wrong lane by aggressive driving of bigger vehicles.

5. Reckless driving is done only by a small percentage of people, but many get pushed into the flow.

6. 2 Wheelers in Bangalore or may be entire country are driven like Water using gravity. Wherever there is a gap, it'll be filled.

7. I've a solution for better discipline in Autos. Just swap their handle bar to steering wheel

8. It's common in Bangalore to block free left turns or where there is a green signal for left turn only. That's the reason, Traffic police put up barricades for lane discipline. A simple solution by Traffic police to insist compulsory left turn, instead of fines and penalties can discipline the drivers blocking free left turns. Time is money. So, after a couple of mistakes, and wasting time in circumventing the city roads, drivers get more cautious and maintain lane discipline.

9. If you really want to teach a lesson, please do so to the Politicians first. The rest will automatically become law abiding citizens of our Country.
jaaz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 06:10   #16495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Slightly OT: Can anyone confirm that the 6.30 pm DEMU from Carmelaram to Yeshwantpur is still in service?
Yup is running and a pretty popular service. Is typically on time to 15-20 min late at Carmelaram
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 10:28   #16496
Senior - BHPian

Rather than making our roads safer by making ABS and speed sensors mandatory, a simple effective device to ease city driving would be proximity sensors. Like Mercedes has in its cars. Most cars already have them in the rear. Just add front and side sensors and a loud irritating beeping and people will stop crowding you. 2 wheelers can have the beeper in their helmets to give them a migraine if they try to squeeze too close. Buses and heavy vehicles can have the beepers connected to speakers so that passengers will protest. This will not be very expensive (~2000 I figure). Less than the cost of replacing number plates. What do you people think?
Old 7th December 2018, 10:30   #16497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Rather than making our roads safer by making ABS and speed sensors mandatory, a simple effective device to ease city driving would be proximity sensors. Like Mercedes has in its cars. Most cars already have them in the rear. Just add front and side sensors and a loud irritating beeping and people will stop crowding you. 2 wheelers can have the beeper in their helmets to give them a migraine if they try to squeeze too close. Buses and heavy vehicles can have the beepers connected to speakers so that passengers will protest. This will not be very expensive (~2000 I figure). Less than the cost of replacing number plates. What do you people think?
First thing people will do after buying a vehicle is to get these disconnected at a FNG or some accessory shop.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 10:35   #16498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What do you people think?
Great idea in theory. But our cities are probably already the world's noisiest, so no one will really notice over all the honking! There are already beeping sounds that are triggered at some traffic signals whenever a vehicle crosses the line at a red light. No one cares, bikes and cars go well over the zebra crossing, ignoring the sound.

Getting people to wear any kind of helmet is proving an exercise in futility. How will the government mandate a more expensive helmet that makes noise in addition?!

People are already glued to their phones while driving and playing music on the speaker in buses. Additional noise is really not a deterrent here!

(On the other hand, a system where x ml of fuel is consumed extra for each use of the horn, if possible, would be great!)

Last edited by am1m : 7th December 2018 at 10:37.
Old 7th December 2018, 10:36   #16499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Majority of the folks will not be able to distinguish the beep sound and the regular horn sound. This can lead to further chaos on the roads.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 19:28   #16500
Senior - BHPian

Just got the idea because I was in a friend's ML class and the beeping was really annoying.
@hemanth.anand Even the Govt mandated speed sensor warning can be disconnected, though warranty will be void.

Last edited by ajmat : 8th December 2018 at 12:25.

Most Viewed