Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2018, 16:03   #16531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I personally feel that the people who are local to these areas are pretty much blinded with the rental income which makes them forget their own living conditions.
Exactly. Just like how the good money I get paid to work here makes me tolerate the absolutely ridiculous commute and the effect it has on my quality of life and health. For how much longer, what the tipping point will be, that remains to be seen, but that will vary from person to person.

Quote:
I think after the initial lease period of these companies expires, they might reconsider staying in these tech parks on the ORR and explore alternate locations.
I have a slightly more cynical view. I think as long as the tax break or tax holiday that IT companies get for working out of these zones are in effect, companies will continue to work out of here. Inconvenience to the surroundings, commute time and stress, employee health and whatever else be...

Last edited by am1m : 12th December 2018 at 16:06.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 16:38   #16532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Bellandur maybe, Yemalur doubtful.
I live in Yemalur. Between Shobha, Divyasree, Rohan, Prestige, Paranjape, Mathrushree, Ittina and a bunch of smaller developers we are looking at 2500-3000 dwelling units targeted at middle/upper middle class as apartments and villas here. The current roads (Kariyammana Agrahara Road and Bellandur Lake Road) are woefully inadequate for the number of trips that originate here, and we are not even counting pass-through traffic (from IRR/OA Road to ORR).
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 18:34   #16533
BHPian

Some stats on Team-BHP related to traffic in Indian cities -

B'lore : 16.5k replies; 42.5L views

Chennai : 3.1k replies; 5.5L views

Pune : 2.1k replies; 4L views

H'bad : 2k replies; 3.1L views

Mumbai : 1.6k replies; 2.7L views

Delhi/NCR : 82 replies(!); 0.3L views

Is traffic and infrastructure (normalized for population) really that much better in other cities and that much bad in B'lore or are we just too intolerant over here?

I have driven quite a bit in B'lore and Delhi/NCR and a little bit in Kolkata - The Delhi roads on the whole certainly seem lot better, but not much difference I felt in nature of the traffic itself. Been very long since I've visited Chennai and not yet been to Mumbai/Pune side.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 19:05   #16534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Is traffic and infrastructure (normalized for population) really that much better in other cities and that much bad in B'lore or are we just too intolerant over here?
Both are possibilities.

We also have several IT employees who have unlimited Internet access (and thereby access to TeamBHP) and the time to read and reply during the workday (like me right now for instance- I have never logged in to TBHP during weekends or holidays, and never on my phone! )

Last edited by am1m : 12th December 2018 at 19:07.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 21:01   #16535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the recent discussions on this thread center around the notorious IT parks in different parts. Most folks in these areas will be in an 'always online' mode and also will be spending a lot of time stuck in traffic trying to enter and exit tech parks. So plenty of time to post here.

Because there is high activity, lot of people (including me) rather than check google, head here first to check if there are any surprises in store for the day, so that in turn increases views. The Bangalore commuter's circle of life.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 21:13   #16536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Chennai : 3.1k replies; 5.5L views

Pune : 2.1k replies; 4L views

H'bad : 2k replies; 3.1L views

Mumbai : 1.6k replies; 2.7L views

Delhi/NCR : 82 replies(!); 0.3L views

I have driven quite a bit in B'lore and Delhi/NCR and a little bit in Kolkata - The Delhi roads on the whole certainly seem lot better, but not much difference I felt in nature of the traffic itself. Been very long since I've visited Chennai and not yet been to Mumbai/Pune side.
Interesting! Reasons for this according to me
  • Bangalore has the maximum number of Team-Bhpians
  • Bangalore has grown too fast in the past couple of decades and infrastructure has been slow to catch up.
  • Bangalore's roads are never straight forward. You always have upteen number of options to choose from to go from point A to point B.

PS : I also note that most of the rants in the thread are from the IT belt of the city. Maximum Bangalore Team BHPians are from the IT sector after all.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th December 2018 at 21:16.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 22:12   #16537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We are in the Silicon City...Many more keyboard warriors compared to other cities
Also I feel because of the very diverse population in the cosmopolitan city, we have all kinds of bad drivers and bad driving habits in the country in one city. This gives more opportunities to rant IMO

The infrastructure and it's management is more or less similar all over the country I feel. And generally, people have become less tolerant everywhere.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 12th December 2018 at 22:13.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 08:50   #16538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
passed dreaded stretch of Marathalli-EcoSpace and reached Sarjapura road fire station, a distance of 25km in just 65 minutes.
There are 65,000 people working in that Ecospace tech park alone. Can you believe it? It takes 45 mins to take a vehicle out from the basement parking to the road.

So, many tall buildings have come up in the ORR stretch but with no supporting infrastructure. I am not sure how approvals are given. BBMP, BDA etc are long dead. Yet another (seemingly illegal) mega construction activity was halted by NGT in the wet lands opp Agara lake.

Authorities seems to be least concerned how people can arrive and leave at such techparks. The primary human factor was ignored.

So many vehicles along with zero traffic discipline are big factors. However, no credit should be taken away from the wonderful town planning authorities (if there are any!!)
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 11:39   #16539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
So, many tall buildings have come up in the ORR stretch but with no supporting infrastructure. I am not sure how approvals are given. BBMP, BDA etc are long dead. Yet another (seemingly illegal) mega construction activity was halted by NGT in the wet lands opp Agara lake.

Authorities seems to be least concerned how people can arrive and leave at such techparks. The primary human factor was ignored.
Some time in January, Phase 1 of Oracle Tech Hub is going to open as well. Overall, this tech hub has a capacity of 10K seats.

Old 16th December 2018, 12:28   #16540
BHPian

This isn't quite about traffic - but about people in the traffic or without traffic - Bangalore now has so many drivers that are driving and at the same time, scrolling through their WhatsApp messages/social media timelines.. etc. I see routinely see people holding a phone in one hand and driving with the other - sometimes even at 30kmph. What's happening ? These guys are surely people with top jobs, swanky cars and good education. There's no sense of responsibility.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 15:29   #16541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
This isn't quite about traffic - but about people in the traffic or without traffic - Bangalore now has so many drivers that are driving and at the same time, scrolling through their WhatsApp messages/social media timelines.. etc. I see routinely see people holding a phone in one hand and driving with the other - sometimes even at 30kmph. What's happening ? These guys are surely people with top jobs, swanky cars and good education. There's no sense of responsibility.

I'll top you.

I found a moron wearing noise cancelling headphones while driving his Santro while watching a video on his mobile in rush hour traffic. This is not the first time I have seen such morons. They are just a ticking disaster waiting to happen.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 17:37   #16542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This is not the first time I have seen such morons. They are just a ticking disaster waiting to happen.
These people are also perfect targets for those who want to make a quick buck by faking accidents. So wait till the evil mind meets these foolish minds and these guys will end up paying a good sun of money in places and at least then they will learn a lesson. Which is another reason I find the dashcam as a perfect weapon on the road. Last Friday I noticed a Honda jazz being driven very slow and steady. At first I admired it and it's my personal observation that these Hondas are usually well driven. Then when the roads got relatively empty, this guy was not picking up speed and then I realise he is on the phone and a copassenger is watching this without any opposition. No matter how much I flashed, honked this guy was in his own world. Overtook him, cut him out and carried on and still this guy was just not willing to cut the call. ng

What I also don't understand is how these idiots don't use the BT hands free in the car. That's helpful for a quick call and if there is something so personal and time consuming then he shouldnt be driving in the first place.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 20:21   #16543
BHPian

Our office moved to that IT hell hole called Ecoworld a year ago. Office cabs are supposed to start at 4 pm. Sometimes they take 45 mins to come out of the gates. Employees living little far away are complaining about spending 2x2 = four hours on the road to work eight hours in office.

The condition is only going to get worse. Starting metro constructions will make it the ultimate hell.
Old 16th December 2018, 21:27   #16544
BHPian

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. There was a time 10 years ago when Bangalore traffic police would ticket you if you wore a blue tooth head phone. Personally know two cases. These days, i see so many guys on phone in ORR. I personally think headphone makes no difference. Talking on phone while driving is risky, period.
Where s traffic police when you want them...?
It would only take a handful of challans to wean this out.

Last edited by ashokrajagopal : 16th December 2018 at 21:28.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 21:50   #16545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I see routinely see people holding a phone in one hand and driving with the other...
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I found a moron wearing noise cancelling headphones while driving his Santro while watching a video on his mobile in rush hour traffic...
I have come across many drivers fiddling with their phones, some using earplugs or noise cancelling headphones, watching videos (heck, I've seen one guy watch a soap serial on Hotstar) while driving. There was a special moron who was riding his Harley with hazards on, and watching some video on his phone which was clipped on the handlebar.

I put my dashcams to good use when I encounter these imbeciles - once home, copy the footage and upload the relevant frame to the BTP's Public Eye portal. So far, I have a 100% hit rate - all those morons have been fined. Whether they paid the fine and mended their ways or not is a question though.

Quote:
These people are also perfect targets for those who want to make a quick buck by faking accidents.
There's a saying in many Indian languages that loosely translates to 'someone who cannot accept advice will learn their lesson the hard way'.

Quote:
What I also don't understand is how these idiots don't use the BT hands free in the car. That's helpful for a quick call and if there is something so personal and time consuming then he shouldnt be driving in the first place.
Quite a few people buy the fully loaded variants just for bragging rights or some fancy features (like DRLs, rear fog lamps, chromed door handles) and not to use these functions such as the BT hands-free, auto headlamps (comes in handy when you enter an underpass and the traffic builds up ahead of you, forcing you to stop while traffic behind is still catching up), EBD etc.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks