Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2015, 20:38   #9031
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Last year Onam, I was stuck in Bangalore traffic for a whopping 5 hours.

My Bus from madivala to cochin was scheduled on 9.00pm and I boarded on a BMTC Volvo from SJR (Near ITPL) at around 4.00 so that I thought even with heavy traffic I may reach in 3 hours.
But since it was Friday evening and Onam weekend, the road was full of vehicles; all I can see on the roads were tail lights in bright read.

Literally tried everything to pass time, games in mobile, slept for 2 hrs called people to wish onam, and at 8.55 the bus guys called and said they are waiting for me and I requested 10 more minutes. Still couldn’t get to Silk-board by 9 (I was almost there).

Got down from the bus and ran till madivala bus station and reached by around 9.30. Even the road to madivala from silkboard was stuck so out goes the option of auto, fearing the bus might have left me. But the bus itself was stuck at the parking lot unable to find a way to come out at all . The bus left after 10.00 pm that night. That was the most frustrating day for me in a bus.

And those who don’t know distance between SJR and Silk Board is 18KMs I could have walked if I had any clue

Asish
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:01   #9032
BHPian

Yesterday there was a huge traffic jam from Graphite India to Ring Road via Cement Road/Alpine Apartment. A truck rear ended a i20 right at the junction very the vehicle take a U turn to the ring road after Alpine Apartment. I think the truck simply din't notice the slowing down i20 for the road hump. Left Office at 3:30 and was stuck near Big Basket go down for nearly 40 mins. It took 2 hr 15 mins to reach Gottigere

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Bommanahalli assembly constituency has 3.6 lakh voters. Even to form a 1% votebank there should be 720 auto drivers (assuming 5-member families). Are there so many autos there?

I agree with the other viewpoint that you express, that they are likely to be the enforcers or general thug army.
No Sir, I am not talking absolute numbers. These are the people who do cast their vote religiously unlike sophisticated people. Politicians always bank on them and also they protest, create ruckus and make noise even if they are wrong. So the crying baby always gets fed.

Number per Se- There are 1.65 lakhs auto in Bangalore and 25 Core Constituency. So its 6600 Autos per Constituency, which translates into
33000 Votes.

Regards
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:23   #9033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Yesterday there was a huge traffic jam from Graphite India to Ring Road via Cement Road/Alpine Apartment. A truck rear ended a i20 right at the junction very the vehicle take a U turn to the ring road after Alpine Apartment. I think the truck simply din't notice the slowing down i20 for the road hump. Left Office at 3:30 and was stuck near Big Basket go down for nearly 40 mins. It took 2 hr 15 mins to reach Gottigere
Even i faced the same situation yesterday. Left office at ITPL by 3 40 PM and reached home in Bommanahali by 5 30 PM courtesy the traffic. At the accident site, I remember having spotted an Etios (sedan car) that was crushed at the front and rear as well. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:49   #9034
BHPian

For a change, the traffic movement was very smooth today thanks to the absence of school busses and bottlenecks created by BMTC bus stops on the outer ring road due to the strike. I was able to cross silk board junction without even stopping once.

I started from Whitefield at 7:50 AM and reached JP Nagar in 45 minutes!!!
It usually takes me around 1 hour and 30 minutes on a normal day!

Last edited by SR71-Blackbird : 2nd September 2015 at 08:50.
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:21   #9035
BHPian

Mahadevapura to ITPB in 12 minutes flat. And that too being driven by the better half at a sedate speed... sort of gives the lie to the "traffic is bad due to more cars" logic. Traffic becomes bad due to the poorly driven commercial vehicles seems closer to truth!
NowNew7 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:34   #9036
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowNew7 View Post
"traffic is bad due to more cars" logic. Traffic becomes bad due to the poorly driven commercial vehicles seems closer to truth!
I live close to Yelahanka and travel to the Central Business District. On average, the travel time is typically between 50-55 mins whereas today, the same 16 kms took me just 30 mins. Most of the congestion is due to poor road sense of drivers and at times bad traffic management. I agree that some of the biggest culprits are BMTC buses and other commercial vehicles not forgetting auto rickshaws.
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:48   #9037
Senior - BHPian

Traffic was light near the ITPL - Big Bazaar area today. I could see cabs, private buses and some autos. BMTC buses were off the road. Could not see much reduction in number of private cars but found fewer cars in my office parking.

My wife told me that couple of her office shuttles were stopped at K R Puram and employees were asked to alight the shuttles.
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:54   #9038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sort of gives the lie to the "traffic is bad due to more cars" logic.
I bought this yesterday as well.

Whereas today was a different story altogether!

To be honest, I am in favour of more strikes now. (Before people pounce on me, no, I do not favour strikes. It inconveniences too many people.)

Huge, huge OT: Post no. 1,111
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:58   #9039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I bought this yesterday as well.

Whereas today was a different story altogether!

To be honest, I am in favour of more strikes now. (Before people pounce on me, no, I do not favour strikes. It inconveniences too many people.)

Huge, huge OT: Post no. 1,111
Take out some of the cabbies, the traffic equation become much more simpler. If you see the BMTC bus stops they are positioned just after a signal/turning or sometimes at the end of the flyover. All these contribute to traffic snarls. Also the manner in which the bus stops at the bus stop blocking rest of the traffic.
In the hindsight i would say that the present road network is not at all adequate to handle this volume of traffic.
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:07   #9040
JD1
BHPian

Agara to Marathahalli underpass crossed in 12 minutes !! Still cannot believe it. Graphite India signal was as usual messy and faced extremely slow moving traffic on SAP Labs road (GOD save Whitefield! This was at 11:30 am!!). Did good karma too by giving a lift to a guy in between. I will be in office till 8 pm so won't be able to avoid BMTC traffic in evening (I believe strike ends at 6pm).
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:21   #9041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...sort of gives the lie to the "traffic is bad due to more cars" logic. Traffic becomes bad due to the poorly driven commercial vehicles seems closer to truth!
All it takes is an impatient vehicle, to cause a jam - doesn't matter if it's a car/bike/bus/bullock-cart. Agree 100% to your statements
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
I believe strike ends at 6pm
I thought it started at midnight and will go on for 24 hours
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:49   #9042
Distinguished - BHPian

I went all the way from BSK to Vidyaranyapura, dropped my mum and came back in less than 90 mins, that too not crossing 60 on the ORR. As rightly said, the traffic menace is not at all due to increasing cars, but all the commercial vehicles. Even two wheeler riders were riding sanely. Couldn't believe how free flowing the traffic was in the most notorious parts of the city. These bus and auto drivers should be taught some manners. That's how the traffic situation can improve.
Old 2nd September 2015, 12:54   #9043
BHPian

Quote:
Traffic becomes bad due to the poorly driven commercial vehicles seems closer to truth!
+1 I agree.
Yes the absence of buses that stop bang in the middle of the road, the absence of private buses that ply on major roads,driven like motorcycles meandering their way seeking empty spots to move themselves forward in bumper to bumper traffic, the absence of auto rickshaws and their haphazard drivers, the shut down of Govt offices, all contributed. Even the air seemed cleaner with considerably less black smoke from the not-well maintained trucks that carry more than allowed burdens.

I usually notice that large vans, small size, mid size, large size, multi axle, container trucks, etc all kinds of vehicles parked on one side of a 2 lane road. especially peak hours, day or evening. And they simply slow down the heavy traffic movement. God knows why the traffic police turn blind eye to such obvious obstacles.

Today many such parked vehicles were not present too and that brought the average speed higher. In my car MID, I see the average speed of my trip showing in the 20s and when I saw that, I was happy since it was always in the area of 15-17 kmph.
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:18   #9044
Senior - BHPian

As most of you mentioned, today was a relatively stress free day in terms of traffic.
Goes to show how much the School buses, BMTC and Autos hold the traffic to ransom.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:22   #9045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Agara to Marathahalli underpass crossed in 12 minutes !!
Yemalur to Diamond District in 10 minutes for me - usual morning commute time is 45+ minutes. In part helped by greens at Suranjan Das Road and Wind Tunnel Road signals, but the big difference was the empty bus stops at HAL, Rajeshwari Theatre, old Total Mall, Leela Palace etc. In summary, it was a great day to drive because BMTC buses were off the road. Very uncharitable to those who rely on these buses, but the point is that at least on Old Airport Road, the traffic bottlenecks are created by unscientific bus stops.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks