Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 15:17   #9001
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
That is my friend's son. He is doing well now.
Thank you for this information. I read that he had a few clots in his brain. All sorted out now? Hope he can play in that Cricket tournament he was preparing for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Y
Similarly I tried overtaking a two wheeler who would not budge from the side or driving in the middle of the road , from the left and he comes after me.
Here, I have a question. If a road has marked lanes, does a rider ride like in part A or part B of this picture? (The yellow line is the bike)

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-depiction.jpg

I ask this because I used to follow B and expect cars and other larger vehicles to give me enough room while overtaking. But I soon realised that most of them are dolts who don't give 2 hoots about others' safety. So I have started to ride as in part A now. Slap bang in the middle of the lane. If any bigger vehicle wants to overtake, he is free to do so by going into the other lane. No objections from my end.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 15:23   #9002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Thank you for this information. I read that he had a few clots in his brain. All sorted out now? Hope he can play in that Cricket tournament he was preparing for.

Here, I have a question. If a road has marked lanes, does a rider ride like in part A or part B of this picture? (The yellow line is the bike)

Attachment 1408344

I ask this because I used to follow B and expect cars and other larger vehicles to give me enough room while overtaking. But I soon realised that most of them are dolts who don't give 2 hoots about others' safety. So I have started to ride as in part A now. Slap bang in the middle of the lane. If any bigger vehicle wants to overtake, he is free to do so by going into the other lane. No objections from my end.
He is doing good. Still recovering at home. He has 2 hairline fractures on his skull which need to heal. Don't think he will be able to play the cricket tournament.
Ideally, A is the way to ride but due to the number of 2 wheelers it's not feasible. Have seen this in other countries too. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But driving in India on either A or B is equally dangerous because of some morons driving!
shivasuma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 15:29   #9003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ride like A for your safety, always (particularly on clearer roads, like highways or ORRs). Treat yourself like a car, and occupy that width. Let people who want to overtake you treat you as a car, and let them estimate for that. If you ride at either side of the lane like B, you are at serious risk of being pushed off the road by someone trying a stupid overtake.

When you ride like A, you will get a lot of honks from cars behind you, and filthy looks from them once they finally overtake you. The hell with them, you've paid your road tax too! Just be prepared for them to cut in aggressively once they've passed you.

Last edited by arunphilip : 28th August 2015 at 15:30.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 15:51   #9004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Ride like A for your safety, always (particularly on clearer roads, like highways or ORRs). Treat yourself like a car, and occupy that width. Let people who want to overtake you treat you as a car, and let them estimate for that. If you ride at either side of the lane like B, you are at serious risk of being pushed off the road by someone trying a stupid overtake.

When you ride like A, you will get a lot of honks from cars behind you, and filthy looks from them once they finally overtake you. The hell with them, you've paid your road tax too! Just be prepared for them to cut in aggressively once they've passed you.
More than cars, it's the buses that scare me. They come so close to me that I really begin to fear that they'll hit and carry on with their business.

Aggressively cutting is something that I expect from these imbeciles. And I prepare well in advance for the same. I sometimes even wave my hand gesturing them to overtake from the other lane.

My safety over other's convenience!

I'll go a step ahead and tell all these reckless folk on the road that one of the main reasons they get home alive is because the responsible ones are always looking out for them!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 28th August 2015 at 15:54.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 16:00   #9005
BHPian

Quote:

Since we have a right hand drive system in the country, it is logical that the vehicle overtake has to be from the right hand side of the slower vehicle after sufficiently indicating intent. So a slower vehicle is on "A" and a faster one would be "B". If there is a single road , then it would make most sense to overtake from the right hand side and not the left because oncoming traffic might make the slower vehicle to move to the left thus endangering the one overtaking from the left.
Sadly however people are unaware of this simple logic and blatantly overtake vehicle from the left. All this is to avoid the hazard of oncoming traffic which will slow them down or they have to watch out for.

On a 4 lane road with a divider the A and B situation very much holds true. However there is one advantage that there is no risk of oncoming traffic. Ideally slower vehicles always remain on the outside of the road (LH drive or RH drive) and the faster vehicles are in the inner lanes allowing quicker movement of traffic. In India however and Bangalore especially A and B are blown out and oncoming traffic is supposed to ignore the errant ones and "adjust maadi swalpaa"....
Old 28th August 2015, 17:30   #9006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I seriously think it has come to saturation point. Will this at least force someone to take some decisions? Maybe we really have come to the point where we have to force some vehicles off the road.
Quite true. The anarchy is setting in - folks riding on footpaths, going wrong way, etc. The percentage of rule-breakers are increasing and authorities can't maintain discipline because they have bigger issues to tackle.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 15:25   #9007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IMO, both A and B are wrong. Ideally B is suited for fast moving vehicles. Riding/driving in the middle lane is not advisable. If you are a slow driver, stick to the leftmost lane
Now come to the real world situation in Bangalore. We have vehicles coming in the opposite directions who would stick either to the left or right lane flashing headlights. In such a situation, driving in the middle lane is safer.
Old 29th August 2015, 16:49   #9008
Senior - BHPian

If you are a slow or cautious driver sticking to the leftmost lane is suicide - it is just where overtakers from the left, pedestrians spilling over the pavement, food vendor carts, idiots driving down the wrong side of the road (and its ok because see, they have their blinkers on) etc will be - so pretty high risk.

De facto on the highways it has become "middle of the road = slow vehicles like trucks going at 40 kmph), left of the road = all sorts of strange stuff, fast vehicles and clear lane on the right of the road (where you're technically supposed to go only if you overtake or want to turn right).
Old 30th August 2015, 11:15   #9009
BHPian

So, I was travelling on the Outer Ring road towards Hebbal. I was moving in the left lane at about 60-65kmph. There was a BMTC bus in the right lane and an Audi Q5 behind the bus. The Q5 was honking like crazy at me to give way though I was in the left lane. I know he was honking at me since he would be crazy to honk at the BMTC bus driver. What am I supposed to do in such a situation? Was it my mistake? To give him way I would have to move to the right lane so he could move to the left lane and overtake. Seems ridiculous to me.
Old 30th August 2015, 12:45   #9010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
The Q5 was honking like crazy at me
The operative word here is 'crazy'. If someone is acting like that, don't take it personally and just ignore as they are not in their right mind!
NowNew7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 07:53   #9011
BHPian

Saw around 20-25 Traffic Policemen at the Silk Board Junction at around 6:15 AM today. They were been given instruction/addressed by a Senior Office and everybody had some challan kind of book in their hand.

Hope they have not started some special drive to meet the monthly quota and causing inconvenience to the motorist early morning.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 08:16   #9012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
So, I was travelling on the Outer Ring road towards Hebbal. [...] The Q5 was honking like crazy at me to give way though I was in the left lane. [...] What am I supposed to do in such a situation?
Slow down so that you fall behind the bus AND the Audi - then let the Audi fella do whatever he wants. Don't ignore the situation.

Though the ORR is 3 lanes per carriageway, isn't it?
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 08:31   #9013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Though the ORR is 3 lanes per carriageway, isn't it?
Yes it is 3 lanes in general. But this particular short stretch it was 2 lanes. The Audi then overtook when it became 3 lanes again
Old 31st August 2015, 08:42   #9014
Senior - BHPian

Oh thank you so much - what is it this time, seatbelts? tinted glasses? or much better shady number plates, bad stickering, LED etc (which will just catch all the indica / traveler crowd and leave us mostly alone?)
Old 31st August 2015, 09:34   #9015
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Now I think I've seen it all on the Old Madras Road-whitefield routes, or have I ?
This morning after slow moving traffic on the Hanging bridge thanks to a KMF milk tanker, it was slow but smooth going till Devasandra where traffic came to a complete stop near the Hoodi Railway bridge. An ambulance squeezed ahead so I thought there was an accident up ahead but after that traffic moved very slowly and the adventurous ones were trying all kinds of stunts to get through. A Honda City was so close to the edge of the road/storm water drain, I thought he would nosedive there but no he was the winner, he moved ahead of all other traffic successfully, some skill & luck combo, *wow*
When I reached the bridge I realized that the slowness was due to lots of trucks emerging from the unpaved "service" road beside the bridge, and making left U turns onto the bridge and some going in the wrong way too blocking traffic moving straight onto the bridge!
What a way to start a Monday

Last edited by NPV : 31st August 2015 at 09:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks