Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 08:48   #9751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The HAL traffic light intersection on old madras road was much better after the traffic police rerouted NGEF traffic that required to go towards the city, to take a compulsory left and then a U Turn. Things have been a little different this week and the last. The cut in the road where the NGEF folks have to take a u turn, to head towards the city, has seen some changes which is supposed to make traffic flow easier. However; this is now turning out to be a manned intersection, almost as good as another signal in place. There is a traffic pile up almost every evening that goes beyond the Baiyapanahalli Metro station entry.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 6th November 2015 at 08:50.
Old 6th November 2015, 08:50   #9752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
It will be interesting to see how this works out in reality. As an employee/commuter, I welcome this.
Yes, looks like an interesting employee friendly approach

Quote:
As someone who also needs to recruit staff to projects, it'll be interesting to see what happens when a suitable candidate belongs to the 'other' logical city.
All employees would've signed on an agreement clause that they will be willing to relocate to any other city right?
Maybe that will be enforced but in that case the 'suitable' employee should get a relocation allowance too.
Very interesting indeed!

On a lighter note, this is like playing Sim city
What would be the names of the Logical cities - Silk and White would be nice names I feel; named after the most talked about locations on this thread

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 6th November 2015 at 08:51.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 09:22   #9753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Me

Spent three hours in the bus today since I thought of giving car a break. Not going to do that again.
I don't think people stayed home looking at the kind of traffic today. I will drive tomorrow, even if it adds 10-20 more minutes. Too bad I can't WFH else this whole week I would have stayed back actually.
BMTC bus is no more a good option. If you are destination is via Majestic then it is like inviting unwanted trouble. I also sometimes take bus to my office in Domlur, total travel time will be easily 6 hours. If I drive myself it is hardly 2.5 hours.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 09:52   #9754
Senior - BHPian

Big big traffic jam on betl as well as below also. Not sure about the reason! Stuck for close to half an hour and have hardly moved some 200 mts.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 09:54   #9755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
In terms of which areas belong to which city - the 3 offices in the ITPL and Marathalli areas are grouped into one logical city - presumably, this will benefit people living in and around Whitefield, North-East Bangalore, etc.

There was a talk by this company to open up a new bigger campus around Jakkur / Airport road. Not sure of the status of the same. If that was to come up in another couple of years, it would have to be made in to another logical city due to the dreaded KR Puram & Hebbal junctions which separate it with other logical cities.

However, kudos to the management to come up with this idea. High performance delivered
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 10:39   #9756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Big big traffic jam on betl as well as below also. Not sure about the reason! Stuck for close to half an hour and have hardly moved some 200 mts.
Probably the jam could be due to people leaving for their respective home towns considering the fact that many would have taken off the coming week. Earlier we used see such jams (especially around diwali) in the evenings.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 10:48   #9757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Probably the jam could be due to people leaving for their respective home towns considering the fact that many would have taken off the coming week. Earlier we used see such jams (especially around diwali) in the evenings.
Quite possible.

I had to refill today and the Shell near Mekhri Circle had a long queue with a majority of Private cars than Yellow Boards. Then I drive to Shell's Vittal Mallya Road and found many private cars with families refilling here. Assumed that many are starting their journey today.

Even on BETL, while I passed between 0700-0715, there were a lot of private cars heading beyond EC1 or EC2 as they continue straight instead of getting down on either sides.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 11:01   #9758
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Lucky for me, I was coming the other way - saw people in an Army(?) Jeep, waving and all traffic had been stopped some distance away from the Jeep. So looks like this was the reason (don't know why they had to do this though).
Old 6th November 2015, 11:19   #9759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Me

Spent three hours in the bus today since I thought of giving car a break. Not going to do that again
Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
BMTC bus is no more a good option.
Add me to the list of people NEVER taking BMTC again to and from work. This is exactly why there are so many 2-wheelers on the road. [A car might be used even if BMTC was a good alternative, but it is highly unlikely that 2-wheeler owners would use their vehicles if there was good public transport]
Old 6th November 2015, 11:42   #9760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Add me to the list of people NEVER taking BMTC again to and from work. This is exactly why there are so many 2-wheelers on the road. [A car might be used even if BMTC was a good alternative, but it is highly unlikely that 2-wheeler owners would use their vehicles if there was good public transport]
It is cheaper to drive my Petrol Sedan to office which is 4 KMs away than come by a BMTC volvo which is crowded. Why should I then leave the comfort of my car and walk to a bus stop that is 500 meters away through a dusty road (or slushy if it rains) and wait at the bus stop exposed to dust, sun and deal with conductors who either do not have change or not give tickets to pocket the money that I give?
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 12:14   #9761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
It is cheaper to drive my Petrol Sedan to office which is 4 KMs away than come by a BMTC volvo which is crowded. Why should I then leave the comfort of my car and walk to a bus stop that is 500 meters away through a dusty road (or slushy if it rains) and wait at the bus stop exposed to dust, sun and deal with conductors who either do not have change or not give tickets to pocket the money that I give?
Mate, BMTC volvo buses are priced ridiculously high. I do understand the cost of a volvo bus is much higher when compared to a non A/C AL or tata bus.
For eg. the ticket price from Silk board to ITPL costs Rs 80 in a volvo bus while the same costs Rs 24 in a non A/C bus. Nearly 3 times the price. Moment diesel price shoots up, they increase the fares but not the other way round.
I would like to know if BMTC gets any discount on diesel for bulk filling.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 12:57   #9762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know if BMTC gets any discount on diesel for bulk filling.
Sure, why not. It could be extremely subsidized or even literally free if one looks at it in a certain way. As I see it the govt. is carefully (intentionally)classified as central/state, local development bodies, local transport bodies etc, nonetheless they are all part of the same group. Within them its all about transferring funds from the left hand to the right & vice versa. Indian Airlines had huge mounting losses before being merged, BSNL also currently is sitting on losses but we don't have to worry since the monetary loss per se is only with regard to the books of that particular department. One department will come to the aid of the other when required.

That is probably why the a.c Volvos are priced higher, they may not always run full when compared to regular buses & obviously the service costs & consumption of diesel will be higher so they need to keep a bigger margin to offset loss due to lower demand when any. While Rs.80/- might be high the distance is about 20km(?) and so it works out to Rs.4 per k.m which is kind of ok for today's times. I assume about 25% would be a cushion. I'm the last person to support the way governmental processes happen but they do work in the best means to bridge the have's & the have-not's
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 13:17   #9763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That may be a reason as well. One of my friend who comes by nice road to EC also said there was a massive jam.

Quote:
Lucky for me, I was coming the other way - saw people in an Army(?) Jeep, waving and all traffic had been stopped some distance away from the Jeep. So looks like this was the reason (don't know why they had to do this though).
I took the road below flyover as there was traffic right at the start. Big mistake! Jam below flyover was only till Kudlu gate signal. And it was all because of impatient morons who create a deadlock trying to be the first to enter/exit the junction irrespective of the signal. Heard it is a daily thing.

On top of this the two wheeler idiots drive like mad people. I equate them to cockroaches trying to enter every gap without a concern for other vehicles and if not given way they look as if I did a grave mistake and they own the road. No matter how much I close the window and drive to not shout at them it does not help. Why in the world cant they drive properly!
Old 6th November 2015, 14:12   #9764
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pics (Some top secret project?) The army guys and traffic kept waiting at a distance:
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-betlblock.png  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-betlwait.png  

mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 14:26   #9765
BHPian

Quote:
... two wheeler idiots drive like mad people. I equate them to cockroaches trying to enter every gap without a concern for other vehicles...
Actually, I've figured out something about two wheelers and traffic jams. They are like the interstitial particles in some sort of gel (jam??) - when they somehow wriggle out leaving gaps - the gel starts liquefying and traffic starts flowing [PHD THESIS, ANYONE??] So don't curse, OK!
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks