Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 12:30   #9901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Hopefully, this will the beginning of the end to the misery all of us go through day-in and day-out in Bangalore.

The BWSSB has agreed to repair roads that it will dig up to undertake repair works.
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49807315.cms

Of course, unless the quality of work is good, this is another eyewash.
Old 17th November 2015, 12:42   #9902
BHPian

In the wake of such traffic snarls hitting all across whitefield the most immediate solution could be to shift the Vidhan Sabha to Whitefield in Vydehi Hospital. Trust me (if not the traffic ) but the roads will be tarred and retarred and retarred again and again . Shift BBMP headquarters to Graphite India Signal and CM residence to Hoody Signal.
Just a thought
adi_gt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 12:56   #9903
BHPian

Bangalore has got worse over the years,I have lived in Bangalore and Mumbai.Although Mumbai has bad traffic it is much more organised than Bangalore is IMO. Bikes riding over footpaths is something I have seen only in Bangalore. Add to that the apathy showed by the corporation to the IT areas such as whitefield. The signal at kundanahalli is blocked all the time. When i was in Bangalore last September during torrential rain I was in an uber and i really thought we were driving through a river , a very fast flowing one. Bamgalore is degrading and with the metro seeming a distant dream don't know what is going to happen.
Old 17th November 2015, 13:09   #9904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
In the wake of such traffic snarls hitting all across whitefield the most immediate solution could be to shift the Vidhan Sabha to Whitefield in Vydehi Hospital. Trust me (if not the traffic ) but the roads will be tarred and retarred and retarred again and again . Shift BBMP headquarters to Graphite India Signal and CM residence to Hoody Signal.
Just a thought
The roads outside Vidhan Soudha use a special compound which incorporates recycled rubber and plastic and is zero maintenance. Has been intact for more than six years now. That technology is not used anywhere else, as it would hurt the contractors' business and by derivation the decision makers' pockets
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 13:50   #9905
BHPian

It is 1PM and the traffic is still backed up on ORR between agara and Ecospace towards marathahalli.. Will it ever end? The traffic used to ease after 12 PM but nowadays it just seems unending.. Before the morning backup is cleared, the evening peak hour will start I guess..
Old 17th November 2015, 14:03   #9906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I guess work from home for all office goers and schooling from home for school kids. That will be the norm for the future generation of Bangalore.
Well I seriously think that living in this city would be a pleasurable experience in the near future if some drastic measures are not adopted.
I would definitely not recommend my kids to make this their place of work , residence. They should learn at this much from their old man's mistakes
Old 17th November 2015, 14:03   #9907
Senior - BHPian

Rains in last few days have washed the roads. Air is clean with no trace of dust. Chill weather and cloudy sky could be mistaken for a European city. Probably the best of the year (unless you are stuck in traffic) .
Old 17th November 2015, 14:18   #9908
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Times Now van, anchor , cameraman etc at Bellandur Lake today morning next to the bridge.

Here's another video doing the social media rounds showing the mess the lake's in .

Last edited by sdp1975 : 17th November 2015 at 14:21.
Old 17th November 2015, 14:26   #9909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Saw a Times Now van, anchor , cameraman etc at Bellandur Lake today morning next to the bridge.
No amount of ranting or news coverage by media will shake up the thick skinned politicians of KA. They are getting money courtesy the interest shown by companies like the Prestige group to set up a tech park.
They are filling their own coffers. Anyways they know after the 5 yr term is over, this time the public will not vote for them. So make money while the IT is still shining in Bangalore.
Old 17th November 2015, 14:34   #9910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Rains in last few days have washed the roads. Air is clean with no trace of dust. Chill weather and cloudy sky could be mistaken for a European city. Probably the best of the year (unless you are stuck in traffic) .
Everyone is stuck in traffic

Yup, weather is awesome. But I ride a bike and it gets irritating when I have to go to office and back in this incessant rain.
Old 17th November 2015, 15:08   #9911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
My kid's school is about 12 kms away from home in the sarjapur-varthur-whitefield belt. When year started, bus left home at 7:15 and kid came back home at around 4. Traffic become a problem as year progressed and the school moved up the timings. Now bus leaves at 7 from home and leaves school at 3 PM. Even that is becoming a problem nowadays in the evenings.. What next?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Really not worth stressing children like this, please do consider moving to a home closer to the school or moving the child to a school that's closer to the home.
This makes a lot of sense and I can guarantee that from my own first-hand experience

Earlier in our school days, we used to walk to the nearest bus stop to board the school bus. But what I see here in Bangalore is the buses coming to the door step to pick up kids. In my area, there are some 10 big apartment complexes and over 20 school buses come and cause traffic blocks in the mornings and evenings. Each bus comes and stops in front of each building gate, spaced some 100-200 meters apart. Each school bus spends over 30min to cover our area, a total distance of less than 1KM

Why can't the schools ask all the kids to assemble at a common point and pick them up? It will ease traffic and also reduce the travel time. I suppose part of the blame is on the parents also these days, who don't want to take the trouble to walk the kids even a small distance to the bus stop.
Old 17th November 2015, 15:13   #9912
BHPian

Seems the Bangalore traffic is a mess.
So, I have a question here and having been in the situation myself, I think it is probably pertinent.
We are spending a lot of time on the road, stuck in a traffic jam. So, what do you do when you have to 'Go'?
Market for those disposable gel-bags?
I had been in a situation once where I was travelling from Bellandur to NLS and got stuck on Mysore Road! For once, I did think about leaving my car parked on the right lane and find a convenient place. Decided against it and finally I had some bewildered NLS Security Guards who found me running past them at breakneck speed!
aqualeo2040 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 15:35   #9913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Earlier in our school days, we used to walk to the nearest bus stop to board the school bus.

Why can't the schools ask all the kids to assemble at a common point and pick them up? It will ease traffic and also reduce the travel time. I suppose part of the blame is on the parents also these days, who don't want to take the trouble to walk the kids even a small distance to the bus stop.
That is not going to reduce the number of buses needed to ferry the kids to school. Yes it will result in lesser traffic in interior roads but I doubt if the overall commute time will reduce...
There are a lot of practical issues nowadays with both parents working ( how else would one be able to afford the astronomical fees), it becomes imperative that the bus stops right in front of your house as there may not be anyone to pick up the kids from a common point.
The solution would be look at traffic management and infrastructure holistically but since that is not going to happen we are to be satisfied with band aid solutions hoping that the wound will not turn septic and we will be forced to amputate the part.
Old 17th November 2015, 15:52   #9914
BHPian

This WA forward kind of sums up the traffic situation in Bangalore

Quote:
A passenger in the bus near the Jayadeva flyover had an heart attack ,was rushed to the hospital, underwent a surgery, got treated, walked out fit and finally caught the same bus at the BTM signal
For non-Bangalore folk, distance between the two points is about 1 km
PatchyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 15:55   #9915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Yesterday evening an NDTV van was parked in the muck near Bellandur and a pretty good looking correspondent was standing in the rain reporting live. This was causing a minor traffic jam as people were staring at the lady reporting
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed