Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 16:59   #17401
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
After 1160 pages worth of info, it's safe to say that Bangalore traffic is never gonna decrease and instances of fools being on the road is never gonna stop. The biggest question I have is this - how does one stay calm in traffic?
Do lot of meditation and yoga to keep your temper in check. It is highly recommended. Do not get into any sort of road rage, you never know what sort of thugs are roaming around. No matter how fast you drive, or how big car you have , it will take plenty of time to reach your destination, leave early, keep calm, drive slowly and reach safely. Listen to your favourite radio station / music to keep calm (if that works for you).

Please stick to road rules, it always helps. Try to car pool, it saves money , helps the environment and last but not least you can make new friends who can talk with you to kill the boredom.

I hope this helps.
girimajiananth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 17:54   #17402
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest question I have is this - how does one stay calm in traffic?
Ignorance is bliss in lot of places. If you see an idiot defying the red light or going to wrong way, etc, ignore and move-on. Ensure you are not obstructing him, for he\she may maul your ride and blame you for it.

Very rarely do I get out of the car to give a piece of my mind; which will be a public display of stupidity.
Old 13th August 2019, 18:30   #17403
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
The biggest question I have is this - how does one stay calm in traffic?
Reduce the gap between expectation and reality - with experience (after many number of days experiencing light/medium/heavy/bloody-awful traffic densities on your commute), your brain will develop a low-pass filter that will set the expectation more or less correctly, when you begin your commute. The more accurate this filter is, the closer your expectation of what you will encounter, the calmer you will be. This filter needs to be adaptive too : for example, if you see some JCB driver and some men with pickaxes discussing something by the side of the road in the morning at 8am, expect that there will be big jam around there, during your return in the evening. Things like that.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 18:35   #17404
Team-BHP Support

'Are we there yet?'

'No.'

'When will we get there?'

'Eventually.'
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:02   #17405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After 1160 pages worth of info, it's safe to say that Bangalore traffic is never gonna decrease and instances of fools being on the road is never gonna stop. The biggest question I have is this - how does one stay calm in traffic?
Some things that I've changed to stay calmer.
  • Buy an Automatic.
  • I hate AC in car but these days I drive more with windows closed and AC on.
  • Count down the numbers of the signal.
  • Ignore antics people do on the road.
  • Whenever there is a good song playing on the ICE, whistle to it
  • Keep lot of buffer for travel time even if it means waking up earlier.
  • I understand that the car is just a machine...a couple of scratches and small dents are ok. Don't expect to keep it glittering always!
hemanth.anand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:10   #17406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Sadly it is not about completing overnight that is the issue but starting multiple roadworks and not finishing even one

And fixing/white-topping okish roads and leaving the ones that need fixing unattended.
Hey I did not mean completing overnight !

Carrying out civil work only during the night with minimalist impact on traffic movement may/may not be a viable option. But maybe worth pondering over.
Old 15th August 2019, 09:49   #17407
Team-BHP Support

I was in for a rude shock on the evening of the 13th as we entered Bangalore city limits via Electronic City, after our holiday in the Nilgiris.

It took me 2 hours to cover 170 km in TN and another 2 hours to cover 20 km on the E-City Expressway.

A couple of questions for those who commute on this stretch regularly.

(1) why do you do it?

(2) why is it called an "expressway"?
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 09:53   #17408
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to many people taking off today (Friday, Aug 16th) and leaving the city for a long weekend, roads were largely traffic-free. Took me just under 15 mins to drive from Karthik Nagar to EcoSpace.
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 10:14   #17409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Thanks to many people taking off today (Friday, Aug 16th) and leaving the city for a long weekend, roads were largely traffic-free. Took me just under 15 mins to drive from Karthik Nagar to EcoSpace.
I did Banashankari to whitefield in 50 minutes that too leaving home at 730 AM. I worked from home on wednesday and purposely planned to come to work today. Wednesday would have been a pain to return home due to the start of the long weekend. The next eventful day will be Sunday afternoon and I will tune into Google maps and check how the traffic returning to Bangalore fares
Old 16th August 2019, 10:38   #17410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I was in for a rude shock on the evening of the 13th as we entered Bangalore city limits via Electronic City, after our holiday in the Nilgiris.
It took me 2 hours to cover 170 km in TN and another 2 hours to cover 20 km on the E-City Expressway.
(1) why do you do it?
I am one of the many people here that use it everyday - the expressway.

1. My office is in E-city.
2. It has to be renamed to anything but "expressway". Moreover it always has bits and pieces of vehicle plastic lying around.
deadguy25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 18:17   #17411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Thanks to many people taking off today (Friday, Aug 16th) and leaving the city for a long weekend, roads were largely traffic-free.
Took 15 minutes from HAL to my office in Embassy Tech Village around 1:00 pm, 10 minutes less than normal days.
Old 16th August 2019, 21:46   #17412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
(1) why do you do it?
1. My office is in the city, and I stay beyond city limits. This express way is slightly better than driving down via the old Hosur Road. Or else I can enjoy my time sitting idle in my car at Hosa Rd. Jn, Kudlu Gate Jn., Bommanahalli Jn. etc.
2. This was supposed to be a "quick" route for commuting between the city and electronic city. And to be frank, in my daily commute this is the only stretch where I can at least drive at 60-70kmph.

PS: I stay at a place outside Bengaluru city limits. And one big advantage is that when driving out to Kerala (and when coming back), I easily save one hour, when compared to my own relatives who stayed in the city proper.
PPS: Elevated Highway is a bottle neck (especially at the toll booths at Veerasandra) during any long week end. And Attibele toll booth is the next one.

Last edited by sachinpk : 16th August 2019 at 21:48. Reason: Added info on Attibele as well.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 08:11   #17413
BHPian

Someone mentioned earlier that Sunday traffic will be bad- normally it would be true for Evening onwards. Actually it’s bad since early morning:

My mother in law was returning from down south (Pudukottai) and the bus is stuck before Chandapura as the underpass under railway bridge is flooded. The traffic is stuck since 5AM.

Look at the google maps snapshot below from bus location tracker:

Both side traffic is stuck pretty much like the Mahadevpura underpass few years back. Now the traffic has started to crawl ahead

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-47bf73b926494200b2bed3162974761d.jpeg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th August 2019 at 13:55. Reason: Minor spacing
daretodream is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 09:09   #17414
BHPian

(@Mods- Exceeded 30 mins and hence back to back posts)

I saw BMRCL has put barricades at median at 2 places between Silkboard and HSR BDA Flyover.

As per media reports, ORR stretch is yet to be allocated to any contractor and I was surprised to see work getting started.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th August 2019 at 13:54. Reason: Minor spacing
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 09:42   #17415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
I saw BMRCL has put barricades at median at 2 places between Silkboard and HSR BDA Flyover.
As per media reports, ORR stretch is yet to be allocated to any contractor and I was surprised to see work getting started.
They are conducting soil testing in this stretch and hence the barricades. I think soil testing is tendered and assigned separately prior to start of any construction activity to determine the amount of work needed in each place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks