Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2021, 17:47   #18901
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Only having RVMs and indicators is being made mandatory. Not the usage of them. I don't think it changes anything on BLR roads.
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 18:01   #18902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
It's a matter of execution and people (on both sides) getting used to this system. I remember a similar exercise done for a busy section of MG road in Pune - after a few initial hiccups, that initiative was quite successful and it went on for all weekends for more than a year (IIRC). Several factors helped - a parallel East Street with multiple connecting lanes between MG & East Street that took care of the entry/exit for folks in that area plus a decent amount of acceptance by the large number of business outlets on MG road who were in acceptance for this.

My knowledge on Bangalore is limited, but Church Street does have the parallel MG road on one side atleast so it should be possible in principle to give it a longer try. As it applies to most things, the devil is in the details (of the execution).
There are residences and some streets that branch off from church street. Purely commercial areas are good for pedestrian only rules. Brigade road would be good from church street to residency road or maybe even MG Road itself

We dont have the commercial-residential separation like other countries to attempt this without exceptions.
Old 11th April 2021, 19:42   #18903
BHPian

I think the Bangalore cops are finding more innovative ways to hit their monthly target.

Bengaluru Traffic Police announces Rs 500 fine for two-wheelers without rear-view mirrors, indicators.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...ators-7268773/
FURY_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 23:29   #18904
BHPian

An ad/video that is apt for this thread.

SideView is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 07:35   #18905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
An ad/video that is apt for this thread.

https://Youtu.be/uGYkexxupOE
Totally silly worthless contrived commercial .

Worryingly enough though, there are enough dements in BLR traffic to miss the 'humour', and actually mimic the same behaviour.
Old 12th April 2021, 08:33   #18906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
I think the Bangalore cops are finding more innovative ways to hit their monthly target.

Bengaluru Traffic Police announces Rs 500 fine for two-wheelers without rear-view mirrors, indicators.

Not innovative, this is very essential. Most two wheelers do not use mirrors and never bother to use indicators while taking a turn.
Hope this brings some sense into them
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 08:42   #18907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Not innovative, this is very essential. Most two wheelers do not use mirrors and never bother to use indicators while taking a turn.
Hope this brings some sense into them
Forget using mirrors, a large percentage of bikes in Bangalore do not even HAVE mirrors, let alone using them. And indicators- what on earth is that? Looking back while taking a sharp turn - beneath their dignity. I have lost count of the number of times I have almost ended up hitting a biker because of a un-indicated sudden turn, or lane change in front of my car.
Old 12th April 2021, 09:05   #18908
BHPian

I welcome the RVM and indicators initiative, even if it rubs off on just a few initially. Alongside, cars with folded side mirrors should also be penalised.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 09:12   #18909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post

I have an old sparingly used scooter which didn't have the Left RVM Ex-Showroom & I was going to put a Mobile Holder there for GPS Navigation. Should I just fix a mirror there ?
Old 12th April 2021, 09:22   #18910
BHPian

Vespa's RVMs are notorious for losing their grooves and coming off because of its heaviness. The pothole ridden roads of Bangalore don't help the case either. I've tried installing it 10 times, but it comes off. Will head to JC road for a fix. They should first provide flawless infrastructure and then put these rules in place.
Old 12th April 2021, 10:01   #18911
Senior - BHPian

I fully support the BTP's new initiative of levying fines on two wheelers without rear view mirrors and indicators. Many of the Bangaloreans would have forgotten the existence of the rear view mirror and barely glance into it before taking a turn or overtaking. I have seen some youngsters in their motorbikes turning the mirror and mirror handles to face each other in the front like rockets (?). I guess they feel they have reached the highest levels of intelligence and cool dudeism (?). How ridiculous.

I dont know if it is just me, but Ive noticed since the Metro construction has started in full swing in Bangalore (Bannerghatta road), I can see many any more two wheelers coming from the wrong side of the road. In a lot of the cases, the metro pillars mean the existing turns/ road median gaps have been placed much further ahead and people prefer breaking the rules instead of taking a legal turn.

Will be nice if the BTP starts catching offenders and levying a heavy fine on wrong side driving. They will be able to meet their targets.

Last edited by hrman : 12th April 2021 at 10:02.
hrman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 10:07   #18912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I have an old sparingly used scooter which didn't have the Left RVM Ex-Showroom & I was going to put a Mobile Holder there for GPS Navigation. Should I just fix a mirror there ?
You can fix a mirror and mount a mobile holder too right.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:17   #18913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I fully support the BTP's new initiative of levying fines on two wheelers...

Will be nice if the BTP starts catching offenders and levying a heavy fine on wrong side driving. They will be able to meet their targets.
I am with you on this and I am sure that all sane law abiding citizens would applaud this, and I wish all laws would be stringently applied to all law breakers on the road.

Unfortunately, it almost seems like the police have been asked to "collect fines but make sure there is not an iota of improvement in road manners and make sure the general public doesn't get the feeling that we can easily make road users obey laws with simple measures like these - our spin doctors took decades to create this disastrous scenario of chaos on our roads and we have sacrificed so many lives to create this mindset... "
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 13:02   #18914
Team-BHP Support

I put on indicators to change lanes riding my scooter yesterday and the beeping startled the chap behind me.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 15:15   #18915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Vespa's RVMs are notorious for losing their grooves and coming off because of its heaviness. The pothole ridden roads of Bangalore don't help the case either. I've tried installing it 10 times, but it comes off. Will head to JC road for a fix. They should first provide flawless infrastructure and then put these rules in place.
Try using a blue threadlocker when fitting back the mirror. Allow it to cure for 6 hours before using the scooter. It will mostly fix your problem
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks