Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2021, 01:15   #18841
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Thanks. I asked this question because we might get a new car and I'd like to evaluate how the car performs on white topped roads.
ps: Will be going for pre-owned ones mostly.
I think most higher segment cars should be able to cope with these kind of roads. I know my car (2020 Hyundai Tucson) does fine. The flyovers can be bumpy - the transitions between concrete blocks and the asphalt in particular can make your car jump at anything but a crawl.

On the topic of Outer Ring Road and white topping, yesterday we (foolishly) took the ring road from Hebbal to KR Puram in the late afternoon. There was a regular jam near Manyata Tech Park and a giant jam from about Kasturi Nagar to Ram Murthy Nagar - took us 45 minutes to cross that part. Luckily my wife was driving and she took the brunt of the frustration. Driving an automatic car does help also.

For the next few months, I think it might be better to avoid the Hebbal-KR Puram segment and go via the city instead.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 20:51   #18842
Distinguished - BHPian

Was observing the Windsor Manor traffic island being refurbished, with some hope that they would prune the bit on the way towards Mekhri Circle. Inevitably, vehicles in the 'fast' lane are pushed towards the island by the left lane vehicles eager to get into the underpass itself.

Now it seems they have turned it into a tourist attraction . Get ready for the selfie brigade dodging traffic to reach the island.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...u-2270040.html
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 13:03   #18843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Was observing the Windsor Manor traffic island being refurbished,
Municipality spent 1 Cr in this project and they don't have money to fix potholes, huge gaps in flyovers and horror of horrors potholes at the end of downramp of flyovers. The last one in ORR, almost killed me yesterday as the car ahead of mine suddenly decided to brake to go gently over the pothole.
Old 1st March 2021, 20:31   #18844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Municipality spent 1 Cr in this project and they don't have money to fix potholes, huge gaps in flyovers and horror of horrors potholes at the end of downramp of flyovers. The last one in ORR, almost killed me yesterday as the car ahead of mine suddenly decided to brake to go gently over the pothole.
In the same road, the gutter under the Mekhri circle underpass has been in a sorry state for decades, if I am not wrong. Absolutely no proper priorities set for BBMP
Old 1st March 2021, 20:42   #18845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
In the same road, the gutter under the Mekhri circle underpass has been in a sorry state for decades, if I am not wrong. Absolutely no proper priorities set for BBMP
I feel that their prioroties are very clear - make maximum money with no consideration for normal public. BBMP/ BESCOM/ BWSSB all compete towards same objective in Bangalore.

The BWSSB have dug the main road for laying pipepline - big chunk lying open for last 6 months. Now even the JCB have vanished from the site

Karnataka is the new Bihar
LonelyPlanet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:11   #18846
BHPian

Not a rant but opposite.

I have been going to office for a week now, from BTM to Ecoworld in Bellandur.

In spite of 40% reduced road space, taken up by the bus lane, I am seeing very smooth movement and more importantly peaceful driving by all, including bikers and taxis and of course the IT crowd.

This is mainly because the vehicles are less and traffic is always moving. I know this won't last long but let me enjoy till it lasts.
fordday is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:28   #18847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know this won't last long but let me enjoy till it lasts.
Enjoy it while it lasts! My office is at Ecoworld too, how many offices have started having people come in?

I'm dreading the day I have to go back. Not having that awful commute has done wonders for my quality of life and productivity.

But I too know it won't last, June I guess my office will start partially, and I'm pretty sure by November I'll be back, stuck in Bellandur and Ecoworld traffic jams! Which will be worse than before thanks to the bus lane and when the Metro digging starts!

Am already looking for jobs elsewhere. After enjoying this sort of commute/stress-free life for a year now, I'm more determined than ever to at least get a job near a Metro station, don't want to see Bellandur ever again! (even willing to take up to a 25% pay cut to avoid Bellandur!)
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:50   #18848
BHPian

Quote:
I am seeing very smooth movement and more importantly peaceful driving by all, including bikers and taxis and of course the IT crowd.

This is mainly because the vehicles are less and traffic is always moving
Bangalore traffic has two modes. During weekdays office hours, it's not much different from driving in NCR where everyone goes bonkers for even an inch of space.

During the weekend, people are so kind that they wouldn't even honk even if one stalls the cars while reversing or taking a multipoint turn, blocking the whole road.

Despite all the criticism, in Bangalore, roads are the primary problem, not the people driving on them.

p.s - Dio guys are permanent fukre.
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:58   #18849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts! My office is at Ecoworld too, how many offices have started having people come in?

I'm dreading the day I have to go back. Not having that awful commute has done wonders for my quality of life and productivity.

But I too know it won't last, June I guess my office will start partially, and I'm pretty sure by November I'll be back, stuck in Bellandur and Ecoworld traffic jams! Which will be worse than before thanks to the bus lane and when the Metro digging starts!
I feel the COVID pandemic has slightly changed the whole IT office space model and companies have opened their eyes towards the costs related to real estate and operations. Hence, I have a strong feeling that areas like ORR or Whitefield will never come back to their 100% pre pandemic levels of population or office space consumption. If you consider the average cost of a workdesk in a tech park, it can be around 20-50k rupees per month in these places. Compare that with the salary of a typical entry level IT bloke within 1-3 years of experience. Heck, for some low paying jobs, the cost of the office seat can be more expensive than the salary itself. And the extended WFH would have clearly shown to the management the pros and cons of this model, and to identify who really needs to come to work or what sort of work can continue from home unaffected. Hence, they would be taking a few long term corrective actions.

In my own company, we had rented three large buildings as a whole and WFH was not unlimited unlike a few other companies. But after COVID, the company is evaluating if one building can just be vacated since its rent runs into crores of rupees every month. Add to that the cost of free food, transport and what not. Hence, I am sure the days of tech park realtors, PG owners exploiting areas like Whitefield or ORR are over, and it will correct to a percentage of the earlier occupancy levels. Further corrections to my viewpoint or arguments welcome!
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 22:19   #18850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I feel the COVID pandemic has slightly changed the whole IT office space model and companies have opened their eyes towards the costs related to real estate and operations.

Hence, I am sure the days of tech park realtors, PG owners exploiting areas like Whitefield or ORR are over, and it will correct to a percentage of the earlier occupancy levels. Further corrections to my viewpoint or arguments welcome!
I thought so too! And what you say is completely logical.

But over the past few months, I'm seeing quite obviously in my org that most of the people who take such decisions are very keen on having everyone back under one roof as soon as they can! I have my own theories about that (manager mentality to have people to (micro) manage, lucrative facilities contracts; but these are just speculations). Besides, I also see a number of employees/team members who seem ready to head back, (again, I have my theories- seems to me mainly the folk with small children and in-laws at home, perhaps office was an escape , but again just non-data driven speculation). Just head over to the 'work from home' thread on the forum and see the percentage of people who don't buy that the concept is working even though it's been over a year!

So like you I was hoping that this would cause some sort of rethink across the board and a hopeful de-congestion of those areas, but now I fear that it'll be just a few progressive orgs that will seriously adopt the flexible model and for the rest of us, it'll be back to the joys of hour plus commutes of 10-15km!

But I really, really, hope I'm wrong!

Last edited by am1m : 2nd March 2021 at 22:25.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:08   #18851
BHPian

As far as I know it isn't in the hands of the company but the Govt. The entire concept of IT Parks and tax breaks is that it supports the local economy which isn't the case under WFH.

I believe there is some rule which suggests atleast 75% of the workforce should be working out of the office to avail of the tax breaks which was relaxed during the lockdown and is unlikely to be made permanent. Hence atleast for those companies which are inside the IT parks I believe will be back to office by year end.
anandhsub is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:31   #18852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Can't say about the number of offices opened, but going by the number of people visible, it seems like less than 1% are there.

But it is true that the govt (or more particularly the politicos) won't allow permanent WFH as it affects their revenue streams.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:15   #18853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
As far as I know it isn't in the hands of the company but the Govt. The entire concept of IT Parks and tax breaks is that it supports the local economy which isn't the case under WFH.

I believe there is some rule which suggests atleast 75% of the workforce should be working out of the office to avail of the tax breaks which was relaxed during the lockdown and is unlikely to be made permanent. Hence atleast for those companies which are inside the IT parks I believe will be back to office by year end.
You’re right Anand. The SEZ campus offices will see staff getting into office in a few months. The exception that the government gave during the peak of the pandemic might not get extended. That said, I surely know that NASSCOM is eoming very closely with the government to work through the changes of the rules and I believe the Ministries are lending their ears and are quite collaborative on this. Lets see how this shapes up.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 09:26   #18854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Update about JeevanBima Nagar Main Road.
During Christmas-New Year period, BBMP asphalted the bad-half (dugup and refilled) of the road
Now, 2 days ago they have completely relaid the asphalt over the entire length and width of the road
(We can enjoy the road until BESCOM/BSNL etc start digging up the road)
Quoting my earlier post on 15th January.
The newly laid Jeevan Bima nagar main road has developed a large dip in the middle of the road near Traffic Police station/Govt school . This causes motorists to suddenly brake or swerve in the last moment. Folks using this road, be cautious when you approach this section of the road.
I remember before the road was dug up in 2020, similar dip used to be present at 2 locations near NAL Quarters gate - in the direction from 80ft road to Suranjan Das road. I was happy when these were filled/sorted during road relaying process. Looks like our civic authorities cannot make a road without such dips
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 12:27   #18855
Distinguished - BHPian

Felt a nostalgic warm fuzzy feeling
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-jam.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks