Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 09:25   #19051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Folks commuting on ORR (Specially bellandur -m’halli stretch), hows the situation now? Reason I ask is my office is calling us back from next month. Am wondering if car is suited anymore with all the madness going on there or should I get an automatic scooter for that peace of mind? There’s no public transport from where I live (20kms away) , so bus/cycle is out of question

Last edited by SoumenD : 25th August 2021 at 09:26.
Old 25th August 2021, 10:21   #19052
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-e08c9155ccd0456e9a939c24447a1175.jpeg

Wonder how much trouble this is going to cause while being implemented
TheHelix0202 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 10:40   #19053
BHPian

A long time back, late 2000s I think, the police came out with a similar notification that overnight banned all free left turns and said it is a free left turn only if the board says there is a free left turn. However I haven't seen a single free left turn board anywhere in Bangalore.

This notification is similar and I would be very surprised if they actually put Parking boards all over the town.

I agree some rationalization of street parking is needed but a blanket ban like this is only going to out more money in the pockets of the towing mafia.

In places where no parking is actually needed, like in front of major takeaway restaurants, they would just turn a blind eye.
anandhsub is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 11:18   #19054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Wonder how much trouble this is going to cause while being implemented
Just another hafta in addition to the fuel tax. Parking fee (Cess) in included in the fuel price in Bengaluru, how can they now say no parking? Unless judges' cars are towed we are unlikely to see any PIL against the government.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:44   #19055
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I don't how feasible this is since many companies are already discussing/planning to get employees back in offices sometime in the next few months.
This is turning out to be a PR disaster for the government and I expected as mentioned in my quoted post.
So, the companies did protest against this 'mandate'
Link1

And the government now clarifies that it's just an 'advisory'
Link2

Both sources:New Indian express

Last edited by NPV : 25th August 2021 at 14:47.
Old 25th August 2021, 15:30   #19056
BHPian

Quote:
This is turning out to be a PR disaster for the government and I expected as mentioned in my quoted post.
So, the companies did protest against this 'mandate'
Both sources:New Indian express
I think the govt asked/ arm twisted the IT companies to protest
Old 26th August 2021, 18:12   #19057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Folks commuting on ORR (Specially bellandur -m’halli stretch), hows the situation now? Reason I ask is my office is calling us back from next month. Am wondering if car is suited anymore with all the madness going on there or should I get an automatic scooter for that peace of mind? There’s no public transport from where I live (20kms away) , so bus/cycle is out of question
Currently, the situation is alright, but I suppose that is because most companies are still WFH. I haven't ventured out during morning office hours though. In the evenings, the traffic going towards Maratahallo gets piled up from agara to sarjapur signal due to the metro barricades at sarjapur signal. I believe this happens during the mornings also.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 11:21   #19058
BHPian

Quote:
Folks commuting on ORR (Specially bellandur -m’halli stretch), hows the situation now?
Short answer: Get a scoot.

Long answer: it's going to get crazy and it has already begun with the metro works having started. They've dug up the median every 50m or so and put barricades around it, effectively covering 60% of right most lanes every 50m. The left most lane is barricaded for buses. What remains is the middle lane
We effectively have a bottleneck every 50m now!
The scoot will allow you to enter and get out of the bus lane at will (ofcourse only when left with no other choice )
iamgyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 11:53   #19059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is primarily the companies in FSI Sector that want to bring the employees back. JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs possibly would be the key candidates to call employees back sooner.

Most other companies have extended WFH till end of the year anyways.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:23   #19060
BHPian

Quote:
Folks commuting on ORR (Specially bellandur -m’halli stretch), hows the situation now? Reason I ask is my office is calling us back from next month.
Traffic on the ORR stretch between bellandur and marathalli has been steadily building up. The chances of a traffic jam are more during peak office hours.

There are only one and a half lanes left after the piling activity has encroached on the medians. My advice would be to talk to the office and get provision to work from home for at least a few days a week.
drivingmelody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:47   #19061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingmelody View Post

There are only one and a half lanes left after the piling activity has encroached on the medians. My advice would be to talk to the office and get provision to work from home for at least a few days a week.
Ya my office working days are in hybrid model. As in 2-3 days in office max and luckily timing is 1PM-10PM. So commute will be mostly around so called off-peak hours (12:30PM and 10:30PM). Still unsure as ORR pre-pandemic still had good amount of traffic even around 12/12:30 pm. With one more lane gone, wonder how it will be now. Will probably go on a bike for first few days to gauge the situation. But then due to incessant rains 2 wheeler to office is another headache

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th August 2021 at 12:48.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 16:52   #19062
Senior - BHPian

Had been to my office in ORR at kadbeesanahalli, Went around 11 am from JP Nagar 8th Phase through Kudlu gate joined at Agara, felt traffice is very low. Could not believe agara to Kadbeesanahalli was 5 mins Journey.

While coming back at around 12-30 PM, thought of trying Silkboard, Had a massive traffic at Silkboard was showing 20 mins wait, so took left and came through Bommanhalli, traffic was again sparse there.

Both side took around 50 mins, while in regular office days used to take 1hr 30 mins to 2 hours.

But with Bus-lane and metro construction, Silk board is screwed-up for sure. Might be having huge traffic jam in peak hours, but bus lane is faster. And police were catching people entering bus lane and Bicycle lane near Agara signal.

Last edited by shamanth : 27th August 2021 at 16:54.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 19:17   #19063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
Short answer: Get a scoot.
I had to go to office yesterday as my laptop gave up. I took the scooter considering probable traffic scenario on the ORR. Did not face much traffic as I avoided main ORR as far as possible. We don't have a return to office date yet and I might continue to work from home as long as it requires and may visit office occasionally during off peak hours. Luckily products that our team support are for enabling hybrid work and our organization is also promoting hybrid work
Old 3rd September 2021, 14:22   #19064
BHPian

Posted on twitter. Posting it here without further comments .

Tweet linked here.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20210903_142244.jpg  

Last edited by JithinR : 3rd September 2021 at 14:24.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 20:43   #19065
Senior - BHPian

This is going to be a common sight on the Outer Ring Road for few years. Bus lane on left, metro construction on right, leaving barely one (middle) lane for normal traffic. As seen in front of Innovative Multiplex, Marathahalli.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2021_0902_135520_336.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2021_0902_135528_337.jpg  

airbus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks