Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 23:32   #17281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Instead of improving public transport, it seems like BMTC is about to stop AC bus service :banghead:. Can anyone confirm the credibility of this news
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...iders-5805513/
This news is published in several prominent newspapers, so it could be credible.

I wonder why do they have to stop it all together. They should just reduce the number of buses plying. There are umpteen 335Es plying back to back and empty most of the times on Majestic - ITPL stretch. The ones on ORR (500s) are no different. It could be as simple as just reducing the numbers rather stopping it. These are very comfortable ones and appears to be moving faster through the traffic
Old 28th June 2019, 23:50   #17282
Senior - BHPian

And looks like double whammy, Govt wants to stop us from going to office, BMTC volvo going to be removed and now no Ola/Uber Sharing.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ive_share_tray
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 11:35   #17283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
And looks like double whammy, Govt wants to stop us from going to office, BMTC volvo going to be removed and now no Ola/Uber Sharing.
Absolutely senseless from the government! The 335E volvos are a boon for people traveling to Whitefield. Imagine if all of them have to now take their own cars or take individual cabs? Is that what this is about?

It could also be about maintenance. The Volvos don't seem to be maintained at all and break down far more frequently than the normal buses. This is only because BMTC probably doesn't care about doing proper maintenance. As someone has suggested, just reduce the frequency during non-peak hours, am sure it will be extremely profitable then. But no, they will just scrap the service altogether and make life on Bangalore roads even worse!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 15:26   #17284
BHPian

I wonder if this is a ploy to have more traffic on the streets, and then build a business case to construct a few "steel flyovers" for 2000 crore each. Given the political trends, looks like these guys anticipate remaining out of power for a long time, so lets make hay while the sun shines.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 17:21   #17285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

It could also be about maintenance. The Volvos don't seem to be maintained at all and break down far more frequently than the normal buses. This is only because BMTC probably doesn't care about doing proper maintenance.

I've been in a Garuda Volvo (AP state) and the air filters were so dusty, I could smell them throughout the trip. I think these bus operators should get them serviced by Volvo and Volvo should maintain a list of Volvos serviced by them with the date and registration numbers for the public to see on their website. "Volvo" branding by operators does not differentiate between a new Volvo and a badly maintained Volvo. And as usual end customers are getting ripped off! If someone could push this line of thought to the Volvo bean-counters...
Old 1st July 2019, 21:20   #17286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
It could also be about maintenance. The Volvos don't seem to be maintained at all and break down far more frequently than the normal buses. This is only because BMTC probably doesn't care about doing proper maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg
I've been in a Garuda Volvo (AP state) and the air filters were so dusty, I could smell them throughout the trip.
I am willing to be corrected. But the story I heard was that; when Volvo decided to set up a plant in Hoskote they also managed to get a commitment from the KA govt. That KA govt herself would be purchasing x number of Volvo buses. This was to assure Volvo that their plant would at least break even on the costs quickly. KA govt agreed, and KA state were one of the first states to have Volvos in their city & state fleets.

But looks like Volvo was also expecting a steady income by also getting maintenance contract on these Volvo buses. KA Govt. perhaps would not have factored in the running costs of these buses, or were under the wrong impression that local mechanics (and their own workshops) will be able to repair & maintain these buses. BMTC also seems to have tried its hands on maintenance work of these buses, but was not able to do well. And looks like they are giving up now.

Perhaps major road transport corporations should now get a commitment back from Volvo (or any international vehicle manufacturer). They need to help train the road transport corporation staff, and setup small maintenance units if the road transport corporations buy x number of their products. The only hindrance would be the attitude of the RTC mechanics in "skill up-gradation". Few states like KL would have problems there, but other states should be able to manage.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:16   #17287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
KA Govt. perhaps would not have factored in the running costs of these buses, or were under the wrong impression that local mechanics (and their own workshops) will be able to repair & maintain these buses.
I'm not sure either, but I think you may be correct about this. Remember reading something of the sort in news articles about the frequent breakdown of Volvo buses. Gave the same impression- govt bought the buses, couldn't maintain them and so here we are.

Sad really, what a waste.

Have a couple of friends from Delhi staying over, they were pretty surprised by the lack of traffic police enforcement in Bangalore. Said that if they committed the same kind of traffic offenses back home, they were pretty sure that Delhi cops would come down hard on them. Naturally, this is a small sample and perhaps they frequent a well-policed zone in Delhi, and they did mention that effective policing did not happen in Gurgaon and certainly not in Noida, but does go to show that the lack of enforcement is a big issue in Bangalore.

Just this morning, was waiting at a junction. There was a uniformed traffic policeman at the junction. Three people on a scooter, all helmet-less went past him. Then a biker, again without a helmet went past him, openly running the red light. The cop didn't even click a photo.

Guess they're only going to regulate traffic and conduct the occasional check, not enforce. Then why will anyone follow rules here?!

We can build all the steel flyovers we want to, I doubt it will help. What is more probable- to change driving habits of Bangalore and make sure the traffic police do their job? Or invest in public transport and make commuting truly idiot-proof?

Last edited by am1m : 2nd July 2019 at 10:32.
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:33   #17288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
Just this morning, was waiting at a junction. There was a uniformed traffic policeman at the junction. Three people on a scooter, all helmet-less went past him. Then a biker, again without a helmet went past him, openly running the red light. The cop didn't even click a photo.
The general pattern I have observed is that;
0900-1030Hrs: BTP generally focuses on getting the "peak hour" traffic out of the way. This is when most of the senior officers (mainly Inspectors in charge of Traffic PS) would be also there out on the roads. The sub-divisional ACPs also now are to be on patrols.
1100Hrs-1430Hrs: This is when BTP gets some breathing space to actually do some law enforcement. Generally they seem to follow some plan coming from their higher ups. What cases to focus on that day. Vehicle towing etc. happens with viguor during this time .
1500Hrs-1600Hrs: School times, and focus would be to ensure some safety for children and quick movements of school buses etc. This may also be some good time for the Traffic Inspectors etc. to meet any of the complainants etc.
1630Hrs-1930Hrs: Evening "peak hour" starts. Again the senior officers are to be on patrols and ensure smooth flow of traffic.
1930Hrs-2200Hrs: Things slowly settling down for the night. There could also be reduction of number of policemen posted, and few may even go for a quick break (to come back for night patrols).
2200Hrs and beyond: Night patrols, checks on Drunken Driving etc. commence.

I cannot say that BTP is the best policing agency in India, but perhaps places like Delhi also has a more "no-nonsense approach" due to the importance of that place. Mumbai also seems to be very similar.
sachinpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 16:41   #17289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Instead of improving public transport, it seems like BMTC is about to stop AC bus service :
As a daily user of this service, I support it for some of the reasons listed
1. It’s expensive when compared with the value it offers
2. Buses are not maintained and 8/10 times , the AC doesn’t work or is inadequate turned on
3. Buses are driven rashly and too much of jerks , braking ... I skip if the buses have only standing space.
4. Too many breakdowns due to Poor maintenance
5. The newer AL and Tata buses with the GPS enabled announcements are a better fit for our roads and weather
6. Buses this big without patronage is not sustainable for intra city routes
7. With rideshare app , there is no real reason to have these heat generating machines
8. Lastly, I wonder who does the schedules for these buses, it’s totally unscientific
Old 2nd July 2019, 17:29   #17290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
7. With rideshare app , there is no real reason to have these heat generating machines
This seems to be under threat. I hope someone finds a way to nullify the proposal/ruling.
Old 2nd July 2019, 17:48   #17291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per Law currently in place RideShare app, is illegal, and can be clamped down anytime. Remember last year RTO took action against BlaBla car riders for ridesharing.

Now they have banned Ride sharing in OLA and Uber, its just a matter of time other ride sharing app will be banned, to satisfy the driver lobby. So with Volvo out of the road, your only option will be take non-ac bus. So public will switch to their own cars creating more traffic.

Yes i agree with Bus route planning, every single volvo bus from ORR toward south Bangalore goes only to Banashankari bus stand, can't they divert few buses to Bannerghatta road and kanankpura road ? Where 1000s of people travel through ride sharing app due to non availability of AC buses.
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:05   #17292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a daily user of this service, I support it for some of the reasons listed
2. Buses are not maintained and 8/10 times , the AC doesn’t work or is inadequate turned on
3. Buses are driven rashly and too much of jerks , braking ... I skip if the buses have only standing space.
5. The newer AL and Tata buses with the GPS enabled announcements are a better fit for our roads and weather
8. Lastly, I wonder who does the schedules for these buses, it’s totally unscientific
All the 8 points are due to the inefficiency of BMTC rather than AC/Volvo bus service. If they cannot run the bus service for the city, BMTC's monopoly privileges must be withdrawn.
Quote:
There are people ready to pay for comfort, dust-free commute.
Quote:
This is a problem of BMTC bus servicing. Instead, why discomfort the commuters by withdrawing the AC bus service?
Quote:
Rash driving is a problem of BMTC bus drivers. BMTC have to run more service during peak hours so that everyone gets seat. Instead, why discomfort the commuters by withdrawing the AC bus service?
Quote:
Volvos have GPS enabled announcements which the drivers switch off. India is a dusty country. AC bus makes more sense. Instead, why discomfort the commuters by withdrawing the AC bus service?
Quote:
During peak hours, there is hardly any place to stand (Point 3). There are plenty who do not own a car, do not know to drive but want comfort AC bus service. Why do you think there is no patronage?
Quote:
Isn't there is a difference between public service and ride-sharing? Don't ride-sharing machines generate heat? Isn't cost per Km cheaper in AC Volvo bus than in any car?
Quote:
Right, schedule is unscientific and routes are not rational. BMTC schedules are designed for benefit of drivers & conductors so that they can reach home early. So they plan timings so that they can drop their bus to depot by 6~7 and head home. Let commuters go to hell during peak hours . Instead of fixing this, why discomfort the commuters by withdrawing the AC bus service?

Last edited by msdivy : 2nd July 2019 at 18:09.
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:15   #17293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
All the 8 points are due to the inefficiency of BMTC rather than AC/Volvo bus service.Instead of fixing this, why discomfort the commuters by withdrawing the AC bus service?
Precisely! All the negatives (except the maintenance bit) if applied to ANY sort of bus service will result in the same inefficiencies. As far as maintenance goes, either hire qualified mechanics or pay Volvo to maintain the buses. Even if BMTC increases the fares, I'm sure there will be enough takers (provided they get the scheduling correct). Run them only during peak/office hours if need be and run non ac services on other times. I've seen those AC Volvo buses run with barely standing room during rush hour. But, inexplicably, there will be up to 3 buses arriving together at a stop during non-peak hours sometimes! Any type of bus service will run empty/at a loss with such irrational scheduling. I think because of the inability to service the buses, they just want to offload them.

If they replace them with comparable buses, that are easier to maintain, then no complaints. But just withdrawing a good service without any alternative is silly.

The taxi lobby must be thrilled! Just when it was getting unprofitable to be a Uber/Ola driver, the government is giving them a lifeline by withdrawing this service and banning ride sharing! Where will all those office going commuters turn to if there are no AC Volvo services within the city or to the airport? Will more cabs be a better solution for our traffic?

Last edited by am1m : 2nd July 2019 at 18:35.
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:22   #17294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Precisely! All the negatives (except the maintenance bit) if applied to ANY sort of bus will result in the same inefficiencies.
Or better to give it to private company to run AC buses in Bangalore. Remember BMTC fought a case against Zip-go and made them stop AC mini-bus service in Bangalore for an year. Neither allowed others nor ready to provide the service to public.

I guess, its time to privatize city bus services in Bangalore. Now we are the whims of Bus divers lobby and govt inefficiency. Let there be competition and lets see AC bus survives or not.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:30   #17295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
All the 8 points are due to the inefficiency of BMTC rather than AC/Volvo bus service. If they cannot run the bus service for the city, BMTC's monopoly privileges must be withdrawn.
When I made the comment that I support shutting down the AC bus service, I took into consideration that BMTC/KSRTC has sadly slipped from its glory days and with the present dispensation at the state, I dont find it turning a new leaf unfortunately any time soon.
I completely agree that AC buses are needed and its not the buses fault , but the issue is about the management who has been tasked to run the bus service.
Moreover, I am very upset that some of the buses are dedicated to the ORR companies and majority go empty and we as tax payers foot the bill for that as well.

Disclaimer: I have worked on IT projects for KSRTC including the award winning depot link up application for data integration before I moved abroad and know what the vision that the chairmen had circa early 2000 and the team that they had built.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks