Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 15:36   #10051
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Govt should work at decongesting the whole city itself, not just a few localities. Spread out IT to other towns and encourage development there and population migration will naturally follow.
The whole IT in second tier cities does not work.. It has been attempted many a time with govt setting up some IT cluster in small cities and towns and failing to take off. If you are in IT, you tend to want to work in a place where there are many opportunities in your field. Take for example, mysore, where infosys has setup a huge campus. Apart from infosys, hardly any other big companies have showed interest. Even infosys uses it as primarily a training center. The only people who wanted to work in software development in mysore were people from mysore or people who got tired of bangalore and wanted to semi retire. There were literally no takers among the 2-10 years band.
Having said that, BPO should gain traction in 2nd tier cities. You usually can find a captive local work force and train them. That has been happening slowly but not as fast as one would hope.
The whole bangalore IT (put in any other big city here) attraction is not going away in spite of all the issues with the city.
Why would anyone who was not born and brought up in small city X move to that city when it cannot offer the same gamut of options that bangalore can?
The only hope for decongestion is that the 40+ year old crowd gets tired of having to deal with the city's congestion and gets out of the city. But even they are constrained by kid's education.
Heck the second largest city in tamilnadu (coimbatore) which is fairly cosmopolitan compared to other urban areas in tamilnadu has found it difficult to attract companies in the TIDEL park built in the city.
I would love to move my operations to coimbatore personally but I cannot because the folks working for me will never move and I will not be able to find suitable replacements locally.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 15:37   #10052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
...They really should have spread out these offices in all areas. It would have drastically reduced the pressure on a few areas a...
Unfortunately THEY ain't ever gonna let that happen.
Coz if you are a 'mover-and-shaker', you tend not to look at things from the 'mango man's benefit' angle. You look at how to maximise profits from your 'investments'. Is it not better to ensure ALL 'development' happens around those areas where you hold large land banks? Voila, there you just created an artificial market. Keep 'development' up in an area so small even broiler chickens will find a little cooped up, and then you sit back and see prices increasing naturally as per laws of Economics, as the hapless techies have no where else to go except come to you and 'grab' the rubbish you offer as an 'investment'.

Last edited by WindRide : 25th November 2015 at 15:38.
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 18:32   #10053
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A horrible commute from work this evening. At first it seemed to be like a repeat of monday evening but turned out to be worse.
At the Zuri junction traffic was held up for 15 minutes, there were some BBMP folks dumping gravel on the side but the real culprit for the traffic hold up was a beige colored Innova with "BBMP Corporator" on the registration plate - this was parked in a way that it cut off one lane from being used (where the road was curvy & narrow) and the folks in the Innova seemed to be instructing the workers

After that, traffic was moving till the Hoodi road/ATM junction from where it was en extremely slow crawl and I reached the ABB junction 1 hour later!

From here, I did not want to risk taking the regular route because it seemed to be completely jammed so turned right and headed back via Hoodi junction and Devasandra, reached home 45 minutes later.

I dread my commute now, all these days it was quite consistent as I was sticking to specific times in the mornings and evenings but now the time taken is double and sometimes triple my usual timing

*I asked a couple of autorickshaw drivers on the Graphite road if any work is being carried out near Decathlon or Phoenix market city and both of them said No and they added that this is the "regular" traffic at 3:30-4pm - strangely I'd not seen this earlier, probably a few exceptions when BWSSB and other work was being carried out.

Last edited by NPV : 25th November 2015 at 18:34.
Old 25th November 2015, 19:06   #10054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*I asked a couple of autorickshaw drivers on the Graphite road if any work is being carried out near Decathlon or Phoenix market city and both of them said No and they added that this is the "regular" traffic at 3:30-4pm - strangely I'd not seen this earlier, probably a few exceptions when BWSSB and other work was being carried out.
This is because of many issues coming together. First we have the four lane graphite India main road converging into two lanes. Next the road that goes left parallel to the main road is dug up which provided an alternate to reach either ORR or Mahadevpura. I used to turn left here instead of going all the way to ABB junction. Next, the region near brigade metropolis or whatever that place is called has deep potholes so once we take left, it will take a while to gather speed. Final topping on the cake is the work near decathlon.

The end result is, I have taken this stretch off my radar. I turn right after Zuri and head to devsandra main road and within no time I reach KR Puram Market. Today I reached KR pura bridge in 15 mins compared to more than 30mins I took yesterday. Mornings I now come via outer ring road in order to save the car from the mess created in KR Pura to ITPL stretch.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 19:13   #10055
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I turn right after Zuri and head to devsandra main road and within no time I reach KR Puram Market. Today I reached KR pura bridge in 15 mins compared to more than 30mins I took yesterday. Mornings I now come via outer ring road in order to save the car from the mess created in KR Pura to ITPL stretch.
I've been avoiding this route for sometime now except this week after getting stuck badly at the Hoodi/ATM/ABB junctions when I've gone back to Devasandra, guess I will have to revert to this again as a regular route.
Old 25th November 2015, 19:28   #10056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I've been avoiding this route for sometime now except this week after getting stuck badly at the Hoodi/ATM/ABB junctions when I've gone back to Devasandra, guess I will have to revert to this again as a regular route.
Yesterday I couldn't take right and continued to get thrashed by traffic till decathlon. Surprisingly this has made the ring road signal literally empty

Yesterday I reached home at 645. Today didn't take that route and went to devasandra and reached home at 550. Those fifteen minutes extra spent before reaching KR Pura will screw the rest of the commute as well.
Old 25th November 2015, 21:30   #10057
JD1
BHPian

Is Madiwala Market road getting repaired? BTP tweeted this today-

"Due to Road repair work on Madiwala Market street, slow moving traffic frm St.Johns hospital towards Krupanidhi college jn"

https://twitter.com/blrcitytraffic/s...57559405875200
Old 25th November 2015, 22:31   #10058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Is Madiwala Market road getting repaired? BTP tweeted this today-

"Due to Road repair work on Madiwala Market street, slow moving traffic frm St.Johns hospital towards Krupanidhi college jn"

https://twitter.com/blrcitytraffic/s...57559405875200
They have barricaded the right hand side carriageway since a week now and it did look like roadwork but at the slowest pace.

So with this, huge outflow has to crawl slower than before - Thanks to Buses who stop haphazardly, Cars and petty vehicles who park next to the median on rightmost lane to buy Veggies.

Even today at 2pm, it took more than 10 minutes from Krupanidhi Jn to Madiwala Police Stn Junction.
Old 25th November 2015, 22:37   #10059
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
They have barricaded the right hand side carriageway since a week now and it did look like roadwork but at the slowest pace.

So with this, huge outflow has to crawl slower than before - Thanks to Buses who stop haphazardly, Cars and petty vehicles who park next to the median on rightmost lane to buy Veggies.

Even today at 2pm, it took more than 10 minutes from Krupanidhi Jn to Madiwala Police Stn Junction.
I have started to go via Silk Board only. I can take the stress of traffic but the stress of bad roads is just too much to handle.
Old 26th November 2015, 09:28   #10060
BHPian

Got up at 2:30 AM and drove from Domlur to KR Market to shop for flowers. Took just 14 minutes, without speeding. Bangalore looked very different with almost zero traffic. Never knew that some of the roads were this wide in reality.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 09:37   #10061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Got up at 2:30 AM and drove from Domlur to KR Market to shop for flowers. Took just 14 minutes, without speeding. Bangalore looked very different with almost zero traffic. Never knew that some of the roads were this wide in reality.
Surprising that you did not encounter the menace of the cabbies who prowl at this time of the night/early morning.
Probably in another 3-4 years, there could be traffic jam at this time as well as vehicle movement could abruptly stop anytime from 6 30 AM to 10 PM considering the volume of vehicles and the ever shrinking road width.
Old 26th November 2015, 09:41   #10062
BHPian

Quote:
now that you have set the cat among the pigeons, just see how many people read this post and will start driving at 02:30 hrs in the morning
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:00   #10063
BHPian

Quote:
Got up at 2:30 AM and drove from Domlur to KR Market to shop for flowers. Took just 14 minutes, without speeding. Bangalore looked very different with almost zero traffic.
You should have tried KR puram!
I have seen small traffic jams there even at 4 AM!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:28   #10064
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

From this week, my morning commute to work from Indirangar to Blackhole (earlier known as Whitefield) is now 1 to 1.5 hours from 30-45 minutes earlier

Same story today, slow moving traffic from Whitefield Honda all the way to Hoodi junction.

Last edited by NPV : 26th November 2015 at 10:31.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:40   #10065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Never knew that some of the roads were this wide in reality.
I frequently do the KR Puram-Marathahalli-Bellandur stretch at ~1am after a Saturday night movie. Since it is early Sunday morning, not many cabbies also.

When you see it at that time, the Outer Ring Road looks very wide with its 3 lanes each way, at least dual lane service roads and flyovers at every junction (Apart from the Soul Space one).

It is quite difficult to fathom that this is a road that gets unimaginably clogged with crawling traffic during the day

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks