Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2017, 10:01   #14836
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Two wheelers banned on BETL

Yesterday evening there was an announcement on radio that two wheelers are banned on BETL from now on.

This was due to the accident last week where two persons lost life.
mpksuhas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 10:08   #14837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Yesterday evening there was an announcement on radio that two wheelers are banned on BETL from now on.

When we have 2 wheelers going on flyovers along the National Highways, why ban them only on BETL.
Old 25th October 2017, 10:11   #14838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wow, I'm just wondering how will they enforce it on silk board side?

This looks like another one of those knee jerk decisions. Stop mad drivers first instead of banning two wheelers.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 25th October 2017 at 10:12.
Old 25th October 2017, 10:15   #14839
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometimes, the traffic police end up screwing up a rather stable system. Such is the case with Tin Factory junction. Now, on either sides, they are manually allowing the traffic from ORR and NH to alternatively move instead of the earlier system where traffic used to merge and interchange on its own. The result is that on Monday, to reach BYPL metro from my office I took one hour, which on an average would take only half that time. This was because traffic police were blocking and allowing each side to go alternatively. This led to a huge pileup beyond ITPL main road/ORR intersection and ruined the whole system there.

Same thing had happened today in the morning in the opposite side. Thankfully I noticed this on Google maps and diverted into DRDO Township, Mahadevpura and reached office in my usual timing. Seemed like a lot of company buses had got late because of this. Not sure why the police wants to try such inefficient solutions.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:03   #14840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A new signal has come up soon as you descend the Itermediate/Inner Ring road/Domlur flyover from Koramangala side onto the Indiranagar 100 feet road.
This place used to have slow moving traffic/jams only during peak hours but now it's almost always a jam here, thanks to the signal!
My office is in Doopanahalli. In the mornings when I come south on 100 ft Road, I find this new signal has reduced the wait time at this junction considerably. But I can see that for through traffic, this signal is a problem - yet all it does is legitimize the illegal turns taken by traffic coming out of Kodihalli or Doopanahalli onto 100 ft Road at this junction.
Old 25th October 2017, 11:26   #14841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Same thing had happened today in the morning in the opposite side. Thankfully I noticed this on Google maps and diverted into DRDO Township, Mahadevpura and reached office in my usual timing. Seemed like a lot of company buses had got late because of this. Not sure why the police wants to try such inefficient solutions.
Hi. Just few queries on this route.
Did you travel via Kaggadasapura main road? If yes, is there any improvements in road condition near Pizza Hut/CAIR? That stretch of about 50meters used to have massive potholes when I travelled about a month ago.

Did you cross the Kaggadasapura railway crossing and go via DRDO township Phase-2 to Mahadevapura? If so, the roads near ORR on this route get pretty narrow, don't they? Or is there another easier way to Mahadevapura?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th October 2017, 12:05   #14842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure of this news?
My colleague reached office few minutes back, having used the BETL on his bike today.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 12:13   #14843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
My colleague reached office few minutes back, having used the BETL on his bike today.
Yes, I am sure of the news. It was mentioned on radio that due to the guideline from police yesterday evening, there was confusion and hence slow moving traffic near electronic city toll booth.

However as you mentioned, came to know from another forum that two wheelers were allowed by yesterday night. So looks like they revoked the ban.
mpksuhas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 12:17   #14844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
They cannot control from the Silkboard side so they are coming in but they are not being given the 2-way pass. They will restrict the entry from EC side.
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 14:04   #14845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Did you travel via Kaggadasapura main road? If yes, is there any improvements in road condition near Pizza Hut/CAIR? That stretch of about 50meters used to have massive potholes when I travelled about a month ago.

Did you cross the Kaggadasapura railway crossing and go via DRDO township Phase-2 to Mahadevapura? If so, the roads near ORR on this route get pretty narrow, don't they? Or is there another easier way to Mahadevapura?

Thanks in advance.
This is the route I took:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.jpg

1. Yes, I took a right just after BYPL metro and later joined Kaggadasapura main road. Traffic flow was smooth but this road is a two lane road and only two cars can pass side by side. The roads are pretty good but there are quite a few humps on the way.

2. Yes, the railway crossing but then I took a left and right at the place where it indicates Gangamma temple layout. If you continue straight towards ORR, the road gets narrow. But if you take the route I took, the road gets narrow at only one point almost near the intersection to the ring road. This is where you join back to Kaggadasapura main road. However, the narrow stretch is hardly for 100ft and it was no pain to cross this.

This route was not shown by google and it suggested I go straight. Then after taking a left it suggested I go towards NCC Ivory heights and later come back to Mahadevapura junction on the service road. That would have been more tricky.

Last edited by audioholic : 25th October 2017 at 14:06.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 15:14   #14846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Wow, I'm just wondering how will they enforce it on silk board side?

This looks like another one of those knee jerk decisions. Stop mad drivers first instead of banning two wheelers.
I would say it is a good decision, in the interest of safety of two wheeler riders. Yes, it may be an inconvenience for 2W, but if you see there is no lane for a two wheeler to pull aside when the cars zip past beside them in 80-100km/hr or else jump from the flyover or get kicked out of the fly over like the recent accident.

Many a times I have seen, the cars overtake them very close and just brushing past the handle. And not every two wheeler riders can keep up with the 80Km/h speed limit.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 07:39   #14847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

TOI have a report mentioning that the BTP is mulling on banning 2 wheelers after doing a study.

Report here.

I think this is needed. I myself have seen one accident wherein a car just grazed a two wheeler's mirror and the rider fell down. Luckily nothing untoward happened. Flyover is very narrow and vehicles drive at high speeds. But as someone has mentioned I wonder how they can implement this at silkboard side. It will be a chaos if they plan to place someone to restrict the two wheelers on to the flyover.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 07:50   #14848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Related news from today's ToI, Bangalore Edition:

Two-wheelers may be banned on Hosur Road Expressway
Quote:
Traffic police are mulling over a ban on two-wheelers on Hosur Road Elevated Expressway following many accidents there.
Police top brass will moot the ban to the Karnataka government and the National Highways Authority of India. Recently, two persons on a two-wheeler slammed into the side wall and were thrown off the expressway.

Police sources said three such accidents were reported this year on the 9.98-km expressway. Police have commissioned a study on how safe it is for two-wheelers.

We're studying it to check if there's a design fault and if it is feasible for two-wheelers to ply on it. Af ter a thorough study , we'll decide if these vehicles should be allowed on it,“ Abhishek Goyal, deputy commissioner of police (traffic east division), told TOI. He said the elevated expressway is not meant for two-wheelers. However, NHAI officials said they can't ban two-wheelers based on traffic cops' recommendation. “It requires a thorough study,'' they said.
I recollect an accident on the Nelamangala flyover 5 years back. A Figo belonging to a BHPian friend's friend was rear ended by another Figo.

Reason: The Figo ahead had to swerve and brake hard to avoid hitting a 2 wheeler that tried to change lanes to avoid water logged section. Eventually, not only the Figo hit the 2 wheeler (Activa) and made the rider fly and luckily fall on its bonnet but ensured that the other Figo tailing it rear ended it pretty badly.

We spent at least 3 hours at Jalahalli Police Station the next day where the Activa rider pleaded with us and said he was ready to write that he doesn't want any "compensation" only because he didn't have a licence and that the Activa belonged to his friend.

The other Figo owner who was tailgating wouldn't budge despite of not maintaining safe distance, anticipating and unable to brake in time and thus rear ending. The cops wanted us to "settle" the matter as usual to get the vehicle released.

What was shocking : Everyone knows that NBTL had banned 2 wheelers from Day 1 but no one followed this. In fact there was even a signage at the beginning of this flyover indicating no entry for 2 wheelers. When I argued this with the cops (wishful thinking) that how they were still allowed, his response didn't surprise me ; Don't talk about rules with Police.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th October 2017 at 08:11.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 08:43   #14849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Condition remains the same, the potholes that were there had been filled with rubble. But in a few days the rubble has moved over the road and the potholes have reappeared
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 11:45   #14850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am sure of the news. It was mentioned on radio that due to the guideline from police yesterday evening, there was confusion and hence slow moving traffic near electronic city toll booth.

However as you mentioned, came to know from another forum that two wheelers were allowed by yesterday night. So looks like they revoked the ban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
They cannot control from the Silkboard side so they are coming in but they are not being given the 2-way pass. They will restrict the entry from EC side.
Folks,
BETL has re-started issuing 2 way toll tickets for 2 wheelers again, this morning.
I believe the ban is revoked?
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed