Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 20:44   #7426
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I normally do a quick check on Google map to check the traffic condition around 11:45am before I set off to work from Kodigehalli. Today I was shocked to see the jam at Hebbal. The red line was starting from the Godrej Complex so I decided to head to Whitefield via a different route.
yajaman99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 08:23   #7427
BHPian

Quick update on Maratahalli Bridge surroundings:
Finally median on top of Marathalli bridge is closed permanently with concrete, this was done last night it seems
Foot over bridge work in still going on, I guess it is more than 3 months since construction started.
BWSSB dug up the old airport road two weeks back for pipe line work (between maratahalli bridge and brand factory jn). As usual they did not tarred or flattened it properly after their work, now the surface is very uneven. The worst part is, they dug up in the middle of the road (for the remaining old airport road it is some what left side). Due to this uneven surface at the center of the road, car and bike fellows want to get out of that bad patch and outcome is slow moving traffic
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 15:45   #7428
Distinguished - BHPian

Highest no of vehicles, steepest road tax, Huge Income tax collection and what our civic body plans for pedestrians is Super wide footpaths that eat into the width of the existing roads -

Those who take this roads on usual commute hours know how the width is reduced drastically and causing slower movement of traffic.

Ironically, these very roads witness one of the lowest pedestrian movements .

Here are a few samples -
Vittal Malya Road after Cafe Coffee Day Square
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-mallya-road.jpg

When the road was wide before, merging traffic from the right was never a botheration. But with the width of the footpath increased, the buses have to resort take a long turn to avoid the rear wheels climbing the footpath.

This effectively also slows down moment of traffic from 2 directions like this -
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-mallya-road_02.jpg

Another road where the project is under full swing is St Marks road:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-st-marks-_01.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-st-marks-_02.jpg

And now comes another futile attempt to reduce Traffic snarls. Something that BTP tried earlier and failed miserably, almost 5-6 years back, on the same road, when the traffic was perhaps half of what we see now and roads still the same even today

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-auto_lane.jpg

As you can see, Autorickshaws merrily use the regular lane and the Auto lane is 100% useless then.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 18:03   #7429
BHPian

Hi guys, I need to accompany my parents to Yaswantpur Railway station tomorrow morning at 10-00 AM. We'll start from ORR Bellandur region. Please suggest whether I can take any of the following route. And which one would be better in terms of traffic density. Also suggest if any better route is there.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ypr_stn_01.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ypr_stn_02.jpg
Old 6th January 2015, 18:24   #7430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi guys, I need to accompany my parents to Yaswantpur Railway station tomorrow morning at 10-00 AM. We'll start from ORR Bellandur region. Please suggest whether I can take any of the following route. And which one would be better in terms of traffic density. Also suggest if any better route is there.
I am not even looking at the maps. I just read Bellandur, Yeshwantpur and 10AM and here's my suggestion -
  • Simply take the Outer Ring road all the way till BEL Circle
  • Beyond BEL circle till NH4 Intersection is a Gamble as ROB work can strand you if train(s) are passing by.
  • Hence, turn left at BEL Circle into Mathikere and drive all the way till IISc Road intersection
  • At this intersection, right turn is now banned for which you need to turn left, drive till the next underpass, make a U-Turn ABOVE THE UNDERPASS and return
  • Climb the Yeshwantpur Flyover, Get down and get down further opposite to Yeshwantpur Railway Station, take the next available (and only) U-Turn and enter the road leading to the Railway station

Notes on how to take left from BEL Circle-

This circle and the one before that (Kuvempur Circle or ORR-New BEL Road junction) now have a single underpass passing through both the intersections.
  • So after Hebbal, you climb the first overpass, cross the first Railway Over Bridge (after Big Bazaar on your right) and soon after the ROB, exit and get onto the service road
  • On the Service road, head straight (again onto the service road) after the signal. The second signal is BEL Circle where you turn left

The above directions are to reach Yeshwantpur Railway station entry from Tumkur Road side.

For reaching the station from Market side (Platform 1 and further up), follow the steps till "make a U-Turn ABOVE THE UNDERPASS and return" and don't take the Yeshwantpur flyover now.

Stay left and from below the flyover signal head exactly straight and thats the road that will take you to the Yeshwantpur station in the next 300 meters as you will notice car parking signage to enter on your left.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th January 2015 at 18:28.
Old 6th January 2015, 19:06   #7431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am not even looking at the maps. I just read Bellandur, Yeshwantpur and 10AM and here's my suggestion -
Can you please give the route in google maps?
Old 6th January 2015, 19:30   #7432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Can you please give the route in google maps?
To reach Market Side Entry (Platform 1) of Yeshwantpur Station

To reach NH4/Tumkur Road Entry of Yeshwantpur Station

Please note that I have kept Hebbal as the Starting point for your ease.

Also note that the U-Turn at the round about that you see in both the links is wrongly suggested by googlemaps. Legally you can make that same U-Turn little before above CNR Rao underpass itself.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th January 2015 at 19:31.
Old 7th January 2015, 07:22   #7433
Senior - BHPian

The Kalpalli Cemetery (Near Cox Town) road had this bull dozer working away at 630 am this morning. The road has been dug right across and just before the army railway gate (when approaching from Cox Town). There is no way you can head towards old madras road or come towards Cox Town. I had to take the alternate route which is a right after you take the Jevanahalli under pass. I could manage as I was on a motorcycle. There was chaos at the army gate as all the traffic including a bmtc bus was trying to take the narrow alternate road running beside the railway line. These idiots could have put a warning at the Baiyappanahalli road turn off from old madras road warning folks. There is none.
Old 7th January 2015, 09:56   #7434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post

"From 29/12/14, Whitefield Area Traffic Management Plan - Phase-2. Big Loop at Graphite-Hoodi-Big Bazaar-Graphite as well as Right Turn Ban at Kundalahalli. Kindly see the map and use the road accordingly."

Heard from office admin that BTP is planning to implement phase 2 from Jan 15th

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th January 2015 at 10:59. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 7th January 2015, 10:46   #7435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Heard from office admin that BTP is planning to implement phase 2 from Jan 15th
Oh god please save us (the Whitefield commuters!), Can god save us? I seriously doubt
For the last two days I took some 30 minutes (around 6.30 PM) from Vydehi jn to Graphite jn. Both days traffic was flowing at snails pace and I think this is the reality for the phase-1 effectiveness (with regular traffic post Christmas and New year vacations). Now we can imagine what can happen with phase-2 based on latest 29/12/2014 memories.

Please repair the roads in Whitefield area before implementing this silly phase-2 traffic flow.
Old 7th January 2015, 10:54   #7436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Oh god please save us (the Whitefield commuters!), Can god save us? I seriously doubt

For the last two days I took some 30 minutes (around 6.30 PM) from Vydehi jn to Graphite jn. Both days traffic was flowing at snails pace and I think this is the reality for the phase-1 effectiveness (with regular traffic post Christmas and New year vacations). Now we can imagine what can happen with phase-2 based on latest 29/12/2014 memories.

Please repair the roads in Whitefield area before implementing this silly phase-2 traffic flow.

So who exactly is benefitted from the traffic rerouting exercise at white field ? There must be some logic in changing the status quo?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 7th January 2015, 12:45   #7437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
So who exactly is benefitted from the traffic rerouting exercise at white field ? There must be some logic in changing the status quo?
According to earlier reports on this thread, it's a routing viability test for the metro work beginning in mid-January in that area. Expect more chaos and further mutilated roads once BMRC get their hands dirty on this stretch.
Old 7th January 2015, 13:36   #7438
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday at 5PM i don't know what happened to Koramangala 80 & 100 ft roads but they were completely blocked. This is not the usual time for Koramangala to get blocked. I was returning from office and had to take 4 quick route changes to finally take the Hosur - ORR road via HSR 14th Main. The 80ft was blocked from BMTC bus depot towards Sony world. All approach roads to 100 ft road was blocked including at the beginning of Sarjapura road near St Johns hospital.

Thank god I was on a bike so was able to do the quick route changes.
Old 7th January 2015, 15:09   #7439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
To reach Market Side Entry (Platform 1) of Yeshwantpur Station

To reach NH4/Tumkur Road Entry of Yeshwantpur Station

Please note that I have kept Hebbal as the Starting point for your ease.

Also note that the U-Turn at the round about that you see in both the links is wrongly suggested by googlemaps. Legally you can make that same U-Turn little before above CNR Rao underpass itself.

Thanks to you, I was able to reach the station on time. There was tooo much traffic at Marathalli- EMC2 - K R Puram stretch at 9-00 AM. At one point of time I got frustrated and thought of acquiring a Patton tank to flatten those rule-breaking idiots creating un-necessary traffic-jam. On my way back, I took Mekhri circle- Hebbal - K R Puram route and was stranded before Hebbal flyover (near Ganganagar) for 30 mins. Flyover was closed by police to facilitate a certain VVIP convoy.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 14:07   #7440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Yesterday at 5PM i don't know what happened to Koramangala 80 & 100 ft roads but they were completely blocked.
It was the same situation till late night. Reason, the Vice-President's visit to Wipro.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/15010...ngaluru-stalls

Quote:
Bengaluru: Traffic in the city came to a grinding halt in several areas on Tuesday evening as Vice-President Hamid Ansari’s motorcade passed through main roads.

The convoy of Mr Ansari, who is in the city on a three-day official visit since Monday, was moving from Raj Bhavan to Wipro around 4 .15 pm on Tuesday, causing traffic jams all along the way.

Traffic woes for the commuters started around 4 pm and got worse as the evening peak hour traffic started flowing on the roads.

The commuters had to suffer bumper-to-bumper traffic for hours on Cubbon road, M.G. road, 100 Ft Road, Old Airport Road, Koramangala, Silk Board Junction, Anepalya, Adugodi, Dairy Circle and Wipro Junction. Traffic returned to normal only around 9 pm.

Though Bengaluru police had sent out an advisory that traffic in the city would be affected during the movement of Vice-President’s convoy and requested commuters to cooperate, people in the city were not prepared for the massiv traffic jams witnessed on Tuesday evening.

DCP Traffic (East) M.N. Babu Rajendra Prasad said that alternative routes had been planned and traffic diverted, but the volume of vehicles was too high.

“All the traffic officers had been deployed on roads to manage the situation. We had requested people to cooperate with the traffic police as traffic holdups were expected between 4 pm and 5.30 pm on Infantry Road, Cubbon Road, MG Road, Old Airport Road, Inner Ring Road, Koramangala, Hosur Road and Sarjapur Road till Wipro Junction,” he said.

Ms Sheetal Kundra, a resident of Koramangala, said, “It took me nearly an hour to reach Koramangala 5th block from 100 Ft Road – a distance which is easily covered in 15-20 minutes on a normal day.”

Commuters coming from Town Hall Junction to J.C. Road too were stuck for over two hours. Senior police officers were also seen managing the traffic across the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks