Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2015, 21:33   #7576
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The whole of Banagalore East seems to have been impacted...it took me 2 hours to get from Marathahalli to Bellandur.
From Kadubeesanahalli I took the road behind Prestige Tech park and landed on Yamalur road. Yamalur road too was clogged, each and every cross road in Bellandur was packed with traffic.
Old 2nd February 2015, 21:44   #7577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
There is a traffic pile up at Marthahalli, under the bridge on ORR. I was told there was an accident and a tanker was involved. I saw a crane going there to clear it now. Have not seen what happened there. So be prepared if you are planning to pass thru.
Unfortunately I left Whitefield today at 3:20 PM and took the Cement/Alpine Apartment Road to join the Ring Road.

Reached the Marathahalli underbridge on the Ring Road at around 4:40 PM, by then the crane has lifted the concrete mixer from the left side of the road (towards Bellandur) to the other side of the Road (towards K R Puram).

It was a stand still traffic when the Crane was lifting the truck. I got out of the car and sat on the Median.

Once the crane lifted the Truck to the other side, there was a literally race or kind of flood which opened on the road towards Bellandur. People were just frustrated and were driving like crazy

I reached Gottigere at 5:45 PM. It was just horrible today.

Regards
Old 2nd February 2015, 21:47   #7578
Distinguished - BHPian

6PM to 9:30PM - Yemlur to EC via Bellandur.

Nothing worked. Everything was gridlocked!! Took 3 U-Turns to gamble and take other options (Old Airport Road, Prestige Tech Park, Bellandur Junction) and finally came back to Bellandur Lake road, waited more than 2 hours crawling only to realise that there was a temple function in full swing .

One of the worst travel duration in recent times for me.
Old 2nd February 2015, 22:49   #7579
BHPian

Looks as if my normal route was pathetic, so at least some benefit of not being well

But seriously the lame duck administration needs to pull their heads out of sand. Any vehicle can break down but if you allow trucks on these roads that too in peak hours you are simply asking to be tortured.
But then I am stupid as I think those guys should actually be working for the mango people.
Old 2nd February 2015, 23:08   #7580
BHPian

Wow wow, looks like I had a great escape today. My drive is long from prestige tech park to Rajarajeshwarinagar. Sometimes, i take the ORR route and sometimes I take the old airport road route. To join old airport road, I drive through Kariyamanna Agrahara road (which is essentially just mud road) for 1 km before joining Yamalur road. Started from office at 6.20PM today and decided to go via old airport road, Saw an unusually lot of vehicles plying on the mud road today behind prestige tech park. Now I see the reason.

Does anybody know the history behind Kaiyamanna Agrahara road and why it is left in shambles in the recent past? It is a proper road as per google maps. I see traces of tar at the beginning of road once you get out from prestige tech park back side gate. But after that for one km there is absolutely no road until we join yamalur road. But lot of vehicles still ply on this mud road to avoid Marathahalli junction. I am not sure if land Mafia is involved in liquidating this road and taking it under their belt.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 00:03   #7581
Senior - BHPian

What all happened today ?

Surprisingly my wife reached home earlier than expected, in the company bus.
Her company bus left ITPL at 5:45 PM, and she was home in BTM at 7:15 PM !!

Pretty super fast considering general travel time is more than that, plus all these news of jams !!
Old 3rd February 2015, 02:22   #7582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
and sometimes I take the old airport road route. To join old airport road, I drive through Kariyamanna Agrahara road (which is essentially just mud road) for 1 km before joining Yamalur road.
From Yemlur I took the road via Bellandur Lake to reach Central (Bellandur) Junction.

Witnessed a huge pile up soon after this junction where Kariyamanna Agrahara road meets Yemlur road towards Bellandur. A few motorists coming from Bellandur side hinted with gestures that the world has come to an end and that's where everyone started making a U-Turn.

I did that too and I now decided to take the Kariyammana Agrahara road and managed to reach closer to NCC apartments and realised it was blocked ahead when I saw a pile up. So waited for a good 20 minutes till I rolled down and asked a pedestrian as to what had gone wrong and he hinted that there was an accident and things dont look good.

Take a U-Turn again and this time I decide to take the Old Airport Road but then the junction of Kariyamannana Agrahara and Yemlur road was gridlocked in such a way that there was no way I may have taken that right turn!

So told my colleagues seated inside the car that I am good to turn left to where we were earlier (Bellandur side) and ready to wait as I don't see much to escape the mayhem.

We turn left, crawl for more than 2 hours, cross Bellandur, crawl slower near the temple with haphazard parking by the devotees for an unusual spot today, reach ORR and both the car and myself breath easy as things start getting better.

Thumbs up to the cops - They know how to manage Jams. They ensured the jams lasted seamlessly by allowing haphazard parking during peak evening hours only for this temple ceremony and few idiots took internal roads to reach Bellandur lake and added further chaos.

Overall, today's gridlock reminded me of the JD(s) Rally that had brought the city to standstill few years before. Of course, today's reason for jam was that accident and the temple function.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd February 2015 at 02:26.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 10:24   #7583
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all you guys for posting about the accident under Marathahalli bridge. I stayed in office (at Doddanekkundi) till 8.30 PM. Then went home (near Sarjapur) via Marathahalli, Kundanahalli, Varthur and Dommasandra. Not only was there no traffic anywhere, but I also could pick up my favourite biryani from Biryani House at Kundanahalli

Today seems to be a bad day to drive. There was a huge jam at Dommasandra, thanks to some morons blocking the junction. Luckily, the shops are located too far from the main road's edge, and that gives plenty of space for two-wheelers to bypass the jam.

Outer Ring road from Marathahalli to Doddanekkundi is in chaos. The direction from Doddanekkundi to Kadubeesanahalli is jammed from the Industrial Area exit all the way till Innovative multiplex. Since vehicles going to Whitefield from Kadubeesanahalli are forced to take U-turn at Karthik Nagar, even the section from Marathahalli to Karthik Nagar is choked.

And yesterday's cement mixer truck's accident has left some damage to the road. Pretty soon, that will grow into a full size pothole. Since the road was repaired only a few months ago, it won't be repaired until next elections!
Old 3rd February 2015, 10:47   #7584
BHPian

I don't want to sound perhaps a bit too far fetched , but is there a pattern when there are weeks (5 whole working days) when getting in and out of office is a breeze , whereas sometimes it takes ridiculously long hours to do the same distance.
First I used to think schools not operational or on some days especially when some offices are not working and some are working....but apart from these days some working days are with very little traffic.
Is it just that it is pure luck ? Or is it that a jam upstream has plugged the traffic that preceding roads are empty which gives rise to impossible things to happen such as reaching Old Madras Road via TinFactory from Mahadevpura in 5 mins or crossing Maratahalli after taking a turn on Airport road and reaching HAL gates in 3-4 mins ?
The latter seems to be more logical.
Old 3rd February 2015, 11:22   #7585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I don't want to sound perhaps a bit too far fetched , but is there a pattern when there are weeks (5 whole working days) when getting in and out of office is a breeze , whereas sometimes it takes ridiculously long hours to do the same distance.
I have similar thoughts when i used to battle the Bangalore traffic on my way to and from work. I tried keeping some things constant, such as leaving at more or less the same time everyday, as well as leaving just a bit early as compared to peak traffic timings, etc. However, the unpredictability on the roads in Bangalore are so high that despite trying to keep some constants in the picture, the corresponding variables mess up the entire equation.

These variables can range from something as commonplace as a broken down Indicab or BMTC bus, to road works being carried out in peak traffic, and so on. Sometimes, a train which is delayed can hold up a railway crossing, and we all know what follows when the gates open.

I have gone to work feeling harried, frustrated on the way back, and even encountered incidents of road rage. I am glad i am spared this torture for now, and truly empathize with other fellow road users who go through this every day.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd February 2015 at 11:24.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 14:03   #7586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

I have gone to work feeling harried, frustrated on the way back, and even encountered incidents of road rage. I am glad i am spared this torture for now, and truly empathize with other fellow road users who go through this every day.
You are lucky to have moved out from Bangalore. The situation grows from bad to worse. The more you analyse the more it gets to you and maybe if you just let go perhaps you fare better. I mean on the lighter side it can make you a devil who blocks traffic for everyone in the race ahead, or it can make you a wise-man , sage who has given the worldly pleasure of driving on an empty road. All that is "maya" and getting to office and getting back home is all that matters. Time is trivial

I am sure this has been discussed umpteen times but Bangalore traffic can improve if the administration and user of roads both work amicably. It could be a whole new topic of discussion about best solutions and so on but just my 2 cents.
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:37   #7587
BHPian

And...just anyone know the philosophy behind the underpass and flyover design in Kadubeesnahalli, Deverabeesanahalli? While they were constructing, I thought it will all become clear to me how it works when the construction is done. But now with all flyovers and underpasses done, I don't know what logic. They say the middle lane is for BMTC..so people getting off the bus get down into the middle of the road? And service lanes...who/what are they for? How many ways traffic should they handle? Right now I feel they handle ALL the outer ring road traffic. :-)
Old 3rd February 2015, 17:10   #7588
Senior - BHPian

What a horrid day I had today while getting from Victoria Layout to Old Airport Road.

The cops here do not seem to know how to manage the junction att India Garage and end up letting one side move for far longer than is necessary. This is an everyday occurrence.

Today was a special day.

The signal for me ended up being much, much longer and as a result, I had some unexpected company on the other side of the lane.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wp_20150203_003.jpg

A BMTC driving on the wrong side of the road! I seriously do not know which such ridiculous sights will come to and end in our city. Worse still, there was a traffic cop just at the junction who chose to turn a blind eye to the big bus.

Then this great soul who is causing a bigger jam before an already jammed turn near Brand Factory. Why the jam? Someone bumped into his car. And he found it fit to stop his car in the middle of the road and argue with the other person while a huge jam was being created behind him!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wp_20150203_013.jpg

I stopped beside him on my bike and asked him to move to the side and argue as he was causing a big traffic jam behind him. In turn, he decided to scream at me. Miffed, I went ahead. Only to pull over to the side to see that more people were now asking him to move over to the side and continue his discussion, which he eventually did. I walked over and took a picture, which I intend to give to the traffic police on their FB page later today and book him for Obstructing Traffic. What senseless people, really. The road is so clogged by itself anyway, the last thing we need is another moron thinking that he has the right to hinder the rest of the world only because someone dinged his car. Sheesh!
Old 4th February 2015, 15:38   #7589
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought the truck ban was revoked due to protest. Saw on another thread a post by NPV which mentions about truck strike planned against the ban.

Does this mean the ban is still in place?

Link
Old 4th February 2015, 16:10   #7590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I thought the truck ban was revoked due to protest. Saw on another thread a post by NPV which mentions about truck strike planned against the ban.

Does this mean the ban is still in place?

Link
Just a week before someone had asked on BTP FB page asking if the ban was revoked and BTP responded acknowledging this.

When the Ban was in place, soon after 10PM silkboard had sea of trucks waiting to turn right towards Agara while this was never the case before.

I am unable to find that post in BTP Page but am very sure the cops acknowledged that things are back to square one!

Truck Entry management and Bangalore - These are 2 different ends!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks