Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 16:24   #7591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

There are huge potholes on the Silk-board flyover! Makes it a pain to drop your vehicle into one or have a car/bus swerve into you when they try and avoid one! Have posted to the Bangalore Traffic Facebook page. Hoping they do something about this and fix it.

Also, the entry and exit points of the BETL flyover onto Hosur Road is bad - when riding on a bike, nearly throws you off since the grating is constantly getting lower and lower into the tarmac!
Old 4th February 2015, 16:51   #7592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
There are huge potholes on the Silk-board flyover! Makes it a pain to drop your vehicle into one or have a car/bus swerve into you when they try and avoid one! Have posted to the Bangalore Traffic Facebook page. Hoping they do something about this and fix it.
Yes, this has become a new attraction on Bangalore roads to slow down! Plus the fact that the section where these potholes have developed has a illegal pick-up point where TNSTC, KSRTC and BMTC Buses just pull over or park side by side.

This is perhaps the best section to know what is rattling in your cars .

Quote:
Also, the entry and exit points of the BETL flyover onto Hosur Road is bad - when riding on a bike, nearly throws you off since the grating is constantly getting lower and lower into the tarmac!
Before, I used to pass this grill at around 70kmph and I need to slow down to 40s unless I want the suspension to take a beating.

Secondly, no matter how empty the stretch is, I release the throttle long before so as to pass this section slowly than brake abruptly right here. It so happens that there will be some newbies entering from TN who are not aware of this and might be following you at good speed and wont be able to brake in time.

Another section that may soon require you to slow down on BETL would be the Joint just before Lay-Bye. It has gone a little lower and almost give sa feeling of passing over an undulated culvert.
Old 4th February 2015, 17:07   #7593
BHPian

And just like that they have a new speed breaker on sarjapur road. Just after you cross the haralur road crossing while traveling to ORR. Came up last night! I Don't get the idea of putting a speed breaker on a road you can't do more than 20 kmph anyway!
Old 4th February 2015, 17:12   #7594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Just a week before someone had asked on BTP FB page asking if the ban was revoked and BTP responded acknowledging this.
My office overlooks ORR and I can see all kinds of trucks - Cement mixers, Container trucks, interstate trucks plying. Also, from what you mentioned I guess the ban is revoked as of now.

However, I am not sure why truckers are planning a strike if the ban is not in place.

On a separate note, I pity the long distance truckers. Have seen RTO and police harassing them as early as 04.00 AM and as late as 11.00 PM.

Also, truck ban is not applicable for trucks transporting essential commodities, construction work etc. Though it was mentioned that they will have to get prior permission.

This means the trucks which will end up banned will be interstate ones which are the best driven ones comparatively.

The maniac water tankers, cement mixers (which overturned 2 days back causing massive jam) etc will be still seen even if the ban is enforced.

Anyway, you don't have any respite from the colorful homicidal private buses.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 17:27   #7595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy
To play the devil's advocate here. The condition of the road and its maintenance is actually not on the radar of the Bengaluru Traffic Police. It is the job of civic authorities like BBMP. At times they get some construction company to give its cement mixers, and use cement to fix the holes. But other than that, officially they can only ask BBMP to fix the roads be retarring. BBMP being an irresponsible organisation, and they don't face the public wrath directly (unlike the police), is not much bothered about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjun04
And just like that they have a new speed breaker on sarjapur road. Just after you cross the haralur road crossing while traveling to ORR. Came up last night! I Don't get the idea of putting a speed breaker on a road you can't do more than 20 kmph anyway!
Would be based on the "demands" of a few local folks. This seems to be a unique Karnataka phenomenon. The once good state highway between Bengaluru and Mysore became a night mare mainly because of these ill-planned speed breakers put up based on the "demands" of the "locals". One local would have his tractor coming on the wrong side of the road, with a normal driver coming and banging it. Then the drama of a Rasta Roko followed by the "demand" to build a speed breaker, which the local government authority happily obliges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas
My office overlooks ORR and I can see all kinds of trucks - Cement mixers, Container trucks, interstate trucks plying. Also, from what you mentioned I guess the ban is revoked as of now.
I had mentioned it earlier, on how such an out-right ban would cause problems. My understanding is that the ban is now split into two time slots. One slot in the morning (0600 to 1100 Hrs) and another one in the evening. But I am not sure, and would like to double check. So within this time frame all sorts of trucks, tippers, cement mixers are all allowed inside the city. And once these trucks get in, no one can really ensure that they also get out of the city limits by evening time.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 17:47   #7596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
To play the devil's advocate here. The condition of the road and its maintenance is actually not on the radar of the Bengaluru Traffic Police. It is the job of civic authorities like BBMP. At times they get some construction company to give its cement mixers, and use cement to fix the holes. But other than that, officially they can only ask BBMP to fix the roads be retarring. BBMP being an irresponsible organisation, and they don't face the public wrath directly (unlike the police), is not much bothered about this.
Yeah, though aware that it is the work of the BBMP actually, I cannot fathom a way to approach them. That is why when I posted on the Traffic Police FB page, I mentioned that it is a traffic issue

I know but seriously I just hope someone fixes it.
Old 4th February 2015, 17:48   #7597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would be based on the "demands" of a few local folks. This seems to be a unique Karnataka phenomenon. The once good state highway between Bengaluru and Mysore became a night mare mainly because of these ill-planned speed breakers put up based on the "demands" of the "locals".
And at times I am confused whether the speedbreaker came first or the road.

I want to read between the lines from the next Tender and find out if there is a mention to build and maintain speedbreakers as well.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 19:01   #7598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I did get the expected reply - that the roads and traffic lights are under the purview of the BBMP - though they replied that they will inform the Madiwala traffic inspector too. I've been given a BBMP control room number. Will start calling them everyday starting tomorrow.
naveenroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 07:46   #7599
Senior - BHPian

Traffic Alert:

Folks travelling between Sarjapur flyover and HSR flyover - There is a Tata 407 breakdown at the foot of the Agara flyover towards HSR.
Expect pile up !
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 09:44   #7600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And I did get the expected reply - that the roads and traffic lights are under the purview of the BBMP - though they replied that they will inform the Madiwala traffic inspector too. I've been given a BBMP control room number. Will start calling them everyday starting tomorrow.
You may probably post the number here as well if it does not violate the norms of TBHP. Many more of us can call them up, not sure if it will work or not though
Old 5th February 2015, 16:38   #7601
BHPian

As per the new policy of BTP taking over from the arrogant Ecospace Security guards it was not a great job. The traffic coming from Sakra on the service road has to go out to the Ring Road and then back in to get towards Bellandur slowing down traffic on the Sakra hospital flyover.
Old 5th February 2015, 16:49   #7602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
You may probably post the number here as well if it does not violate the norms of TBHP. Many more of us can call them up, not sure if it will work or not though
Well, I was only given the generic BBMP Control Room number - 080 22975803.
Old 5th February 2015, 19:53   #7603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy
I've been given a BBMP control room number. Will start calling them everyday starting tomorrow.
Any luck in reaching them? Honestly, I feel that if any organisation which requires a total over-haul in Bengaluru, it is the BBMP. For all the complaints which people have for the L&O Police, Traffic Police and the Fire Brigade, these folks are making some attempts to rein in the chaos. And authorities like BBMP just remain safe as they go below the radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98
As per the new policy of BTP taking over from the arrogant Ecospace Security guards it was not a great job.
Private security guards and arrogance? Ecospace seems to be only having them. Because in any area where the traffic is managed by Home Guards or private security folks, the people seems to have no respect for them. Because people know that they do not have any punitive powers which a Traffic constable has.
Old 6th February 2015, 08:13   #7604
BHPian

Good things first:
Some miracle happened Yesterday, it took only 35 minutes for me to reach Vydehi junction from Manipal Hospital, Old airport road. I have left @5.00PM and reached @5.35PM, something like this happened during Christmas/New year eve. I have visited my cousin in Bellandur in the late evening around 7.30, again pretty fast than what we thought (it took 30 minutes from Graphite India Signal to Central@Bellandur). Any specific reason why traffic is so less Yesterday?

Coming to Bad part:
As a compensation to Yesterday's luck, Today morning there is a traffic pile up @7.20AM between Maratahalli market and Borewell bus stop (towards HAL). There is a decent pile up on other side as well. I spent some 15 minutes to get out of this mess.
Reason: Two Indica cabs involved in an accident little after Borewell bus stop (old airport road), as usual they left their vehicles in the right most lane. I was not able to notice any major damage to either of the vehicles (might have pulled them to left lane), they left with blinkers on in the right most lane

Last edited by hillsnrains : 6th February 2015 at 08:19. Reason: corrected a typo
Old 6th February 2015, 09:33   #7605
Senior - BHPian

I need to go to Mahadevpura, Whitefield today in the evening around 5PM from Mysore Road. Which would be the best route during that time so that I can avoid the traffic chaos and reach on time?

Most Viewed