Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 18:57   #5446
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post
Quick Question, why didn't you shift to the slow lane after overtaking the reva if you could observe the bus flashing lights, using horns like a mad person ? You do realize that you were on the overtaking lane when there was no vehicle to overtake right ?
i knew this question would come up. here's why:

firstly, i wanted to slow him down if possible because i could see him in my RVM driving very rash overtaking other smaller vehicles dangerously close - even racing with other Siemens buses (there were 2 or 3 more Siemens buses driving normally). i've taken my bike on the BETL and i know how it affects the rider when a big vehicle like this amlost grazes you - not only are you scared crapless, there is also the possibility of losing balance and falling in the path of another vehicle.

secondly, on the BETL, right lane is for four wheelers - car, jeep, van etc. and the left lane is for two wheelers and slow moving vehicles. also, the speed limit on BETL is 80kmph.
Old 17th January 2014, 23:11   #5447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
found another grim reaper on BETL yesterday.
Most drivers don't realise it, they hardly save 3-5 minutes in Bangalore traffic. Zoom down the expressway and wait at the next signal. Is it worth the risk?
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 23:24   #5448
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
a good idea. i used to do that with my iPhone, but now have a dedicated dashcam to capture the idiocies on the road. found another grim reaper on BETL yesterday. http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=-DL1B...ature=Youtu.be anybody here from SIEMENS wanna take this up your management?

Bud. Can you help me get a dashcam? I see so much chicanery daily on BLR roads and would love to record the lunacy and pass it on to the BTP and TBHP too.
Old 18th January 2014, 08:35   #5449
BHPian

Quote:
anybody here from SIEMENS wanna take this up your management?
The best way is to complain to the MNC's HQ office, wherever it is located. For that matter, any local issues, transport issues notwithstanding, pertaining to the MNCs may elicit better response than complaining to their local counterparts. BUT I would be careful, if I were an employee of the company against whom I complain. (See the story below of the employee who took his employer to task for failing to adhere to safety norms of the building). This is not to say that one needs to chicken out, but when everybody adjusts with everything, being "practical" might be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I don't know if I will ever make it to a Depot Manager. I am not from Bangalore, more importantly not from any of the southern states. Hence I am sure I would be shoooed off with some mumblings in the local language, the heads or tails which I won't even get.
Complaining to the Government authorities and expecting results needs lot of will power, patience and ability to accept the fact that things will be "normal again" a few days later . Again in the story mentioned below, the employee knew Kannada and related to one of the powerful politicians of Karnataka.

OT : Links to the story of an employee who raised concerns against employer.

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Sharan-Desai/1183787484
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle2921919.ece
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2011/nov...y-concerns.htm
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 09:55   #5450
BHPian

Please, complaining to employer about transport bus, which is likely outsourced, does not need to be local or does not probably require connection. Its not a complaint against the employer, just a suggestion to improve overall quality, and not sure why would there be problems to the employee.

I am not a local, and do not know Kannada, just a little bit that I have acquired. In two of my earlier experiences, I got excellent support from Bangalore Police, in one of the cases it was against a Meru cab driver who finally got a good scolding from the inspector after narrating a story to the inspector in Kannada and finally paid for the damages.
Old 18th January 2014, 11:31   #5451
BHPian

I am late in posting this video. Taken in the month of November 2013. Since we are discussing about company cabs, thought of sharing it.

I was on my way to office around noon in my office cab (I think it was Dzire) and there was an unexpected traffic that week even during noon hours. Our driver decides to drive on the path parallel to Bellary road.

Complained such incidents to our transport department, unfortunately no help. Got a very standard answer they have educated drivers on road manners and they are really helpless about it :(

Even suggested about mounting dashboard cam and inspect randomly , don't think that will be feasible for them.

Currently, I have reduced (rather stopped) using company cab. It does make my pocket lighter, but at least feels safe of driving myself.

Video Location: Right after Mekri circle towards Magic Box.

Old 18th January 2014, 11:50   #5452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Its not a complaint against the employer, just a suggestion to improve overall quality.
Right, but not all admin / transport department staff would bother to think in a reasonable way. If the manager complains that employees are late, the company's transport department makes sure that the cabs reach office on time - no matter how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
not sure why would there be problems to the employee.
In the case of the employee who was sacked, as mentioned in my post, the building was leased (like the outsourced transport facilities) and the employer could have taken the building owner to task and not made the employee scapegoat.
Old 18th January 2014, 11:56   #5453
BHPian

Quote:
i knew this question would come up. here's why:

firstly, i wanted to slow him down if possible because i could see him in my RVM driving very rash overtaking other smaller vehicles dangerously close - even racing with other Siemens buses (there were 2 or 3 more Siemens buses driving normally). i've taken my bike on the BETL and i know how it affects the rider when a big vehicle like this amlost grazes you - not only are you scared crapless, there is also the possibility of losing balance and falling in the path of another vehicle.

secondly, on the BETL, right lane is for four wheelers - car, jeep, van etc. and the left lane is for two wheelers and slow moving vehicles. also, the speed limit on BETL is 80kmph.
Yeah, but putting your life in danger by attempting to slow down a maniac is hardly wise in my opinion.

The right lane is always an overtaking lane in my opinion, it is for vehicles to overtake without causing danger to others( irrespective of the speed limit). While you were riding at speed limits, it might be better if people shift to left lane to avoid retards slip and slide though traffic and cause danger to others. Is it a published law before the flyover that left lane is for 2 wheelers and right lane for 4 wheelers ?

Life in India is cheap, the bus driver can kill you and your family in an accident and start afresh in another city without facing any consequences. Sadly, this is the state of affairs in India.

Last edited by dreadknight5 : 18th January 2014 at 12:14.
Old 18th January 2014, 13:18   #5454
BHPian

Since Bangalore has one of the highest concentration of IT companies, and if a online portal where citizens can post rash driving complaints that will reach the IT companies, it would be great.

In my company, standards about safety are taken very highly, and any complaints are dealt with immediately.
Old 18th January 2014, 16:40   #5455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0and1 View Post
Since Bangalore has one of the highest concentration of IT companies, and if a online portal where citizens can post rash driving complaints that will reach the IT companies, it would be great.

In my company, standards about safety are taken very highly, and any complaints are dealt with immediately.
I guess such companies are very few. Even when you complain about your cab driver to your admin, they will most probably tell you that they will take it up with service provider and close the matter.

We even have an example of a BHPian who tried complaining to police and admin. Nothing happened after that.
Old 18th January 2014, 22:45   #5456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I guess such companies are very few. Even when you complain about your cab driver to your admin, they will most probably tell you that they will take it up with service provider and close the matter.
That's when you need to take to the next level within your company, someone would finally act upon. Or post it a social networking site and send that link to your admin and other staff, and then see how they would react.
Old 19th January 2014, 12:06   #5457
BHPian

I was there in Bangalore last week for 4 days. I drove my brother's car there and I found the traffic sense to be very good. Please drive on Chennai roads and you will see one of the worst traffic sense by everyone(cabs, Private cars, buses, autos, bikes etc.). Even though the traffic seems to be very high in Bangalore I see a lot of patient drivers. I started from Forum mall, Koramangala to Bannerghatta at around 6.30pm last Monday and reached my house by around 8.15pm. The traffic was too hectic but no one honked unnecessarily and everyone seemed to follow lane rules (even the yellow boards seem to drive carefully). Everyone in my family praised Bangalore traffic condition. I don't know if I might sound stupid but this is what I observed.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 19th January 2014 at 12:09.
Old 19th January 2014, 13:00   #5458
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
I was there in Bangalore last week for 4 days. I drove my brother's car there and I found the traffic sense to be very good. Please drive on Chennai roads and you will see galore traffic condition. I don't know if I might sound stupid but this is what I observed.

All I can say is Wow! You are truly blessed to have had such a heavenly experience!
I have not been quite so lucky except occasionally.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 21:36   #5459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was there in Bangalore last week for 4 days. I drove my brother's car there and I found the traffic sense to be very good.
Agree, compared to other Indian cities, Bangalore is much better!

Auto ricks & BMTC buses are spoil sports here...
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 22:00   #5460
BHPian

Quote:
The traffic was too hectic but no one honked unnecessarily and everyone seemed to follow lane rules (even the yellow boards seem to drive carefully).
I hope that one day I too have the privilege of experiencing the same condition. I second @finneyp's comments that auto rickshaws and BMTC buses cause major trouble. I would like to add one more to the list - a few maniacs on two wheelers.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks