Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 08:23   #6196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Looks like yesterday was the day of traffic jams.
I was stuck in traffic jam too, and that too, way outside the city limits.
At Dommasandra junction, traffic was backed up for more than one KM at about 6 PM. By the time I arrived at the traffic jam, motorists (including empty school buses) had already started going on wrong side of the road, as well as on the dusty path along the left side of the road.

Imagine what happens when you eat more food when some food is already stuck in your throat?

Then I remembered a village road that goes along Sarjapur road and reaches Dommasandra and beyond. This road is narrow and pathetic. I took that road. Looks like this road is not unknown anymore, as school buses returning to schools after dropping children, created slow-moving traffic on this road too.

Finally I reached home half an hour later than usual.
Old 28th June 2014, 16:22   #6197
BHPian

I wonder ,if I am the only one seeing buses running like this on roads in Bangalore ? They won't stop in the right place or right side .They want to overtake every other object on road. No road sense or manners shown.Every one say public transport needs to be supported .Without proper sense in these bus drivers, whats the point ?
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20140625_180903745_hdr.jpg  

Old 30th June 2014, 17:23   #6198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
I wonder ,if I am the only one seeing buses running like this on roads in Bangalore ? They won't stop in the right place or right side .They want to overtake every other object on road. No road sense or manners shown.Every one say public transport needs to be supported .Without proper sense in these bus drivers, whats the point ?
In Banana republics the law of the land is replaced by law of the jungle.
In a vehicle you are scared of 3 things
  1. Law
  2. Damage to your own vehicle
  3. Personal expense
A bus driver is unionized, so traffic police won't touch them normally. Point one taken care of. Point two, not own vehicle and how do you damage a bus? Same as point three.

So according to jungle law, they own the road, and will only give way to what is mightier than them(eg VIP car with red light on top).

you have to accept this reality. Its not Bangalore. Its all over India. Until you can organize car owners into a body who is willing to fight, you are a second grade citizen on the road.

The cop will single you out
The bus driver will bully you
The politician will scare you

This is the law of the jungle. Lion eats rabbit. Om nom nom nom nom muncccchh!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th June 2014 at 17:24.
tsk1979 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 18:26   #6199
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Outer Ring Road coming from Kalyan Nagar towards Hebbal jammed right from Kalyan Nagar to hrbr underpass due to bikers taking shelter from the rain under the underpass thereby jamming the carriageway.

Then again traffic moving at snails pace from hennur towards nagavara. Not a good time to be on the ORR :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by Rajeev1 : 30th June 2014 at 18:33.
Old 30th June 2014, 18:42   #6200
BHPian

Heavy traffic jam from Mekhri circle towards Hebbal. Stuck here for almost half an hour, traffic inching forward
Old 30th June 2014, 21:32   #6201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith Rajan View Post
Heavy traffic jam from Mekhri circle towards Hebbal. Stuck here for almost half an hour, traffic inching forward
This was due to water logging on the bridge immediately after Hebbal flyover. I too was stuck while on the way back home.There was knee deep water there when I passed this point at 7.15. It was very, very bad and many would have missed their flights today.
Old 30th June 2014, 22:09   #6202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
This was due to water logging on the bridge immediately after Hebbal flyover. I too was stuck while on the way back home.There was knee deep water there when I passed this point at 7.15. It was very, very bad and many would have missed their flights today.
Ironically, the waterlogging is ON the bridge above the major storm-water drain. Truly, in India truth is stranger than fiction!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 09:24   #6203
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday noticed a big pool of water close to Vishal Mega Mart near Silkboard. Fortunately traffic was not that severe.
Old 1st July 2014, 09:31   #6204
BHPian

Behold the Bellandur Junction!!! (Caught in Mexican stand-off traffic for three successive days in the evenings)

I'll let the maps do the talking. The blue/green routes are allowed/fair whereas the red ones are taken by morons violating traffic rules/lacking common-sense.

Keep in mind, this is under the Bellandur flyover with no traffic lights.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1.png

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2.png

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-3.png

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-4.png

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-5.png

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-6.png
drivingme.crazy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 09:36   #6205
Team-BHP Support

Lol. That is absolutely true. If you are coming from ecospace and do the grave mistake of going into the service lane at Bellandhur you are done for. Same applies if you are coming from Sarjapur side and enter service lane just after sun city.

If you are coming from bellandhur side, only god can save you.
Old 1st July 2014, 10:12   #6206
BHPian

Guys, I am trying to fix the bus parking issue at silkboard. Can you please comment here so BTP takes some concrete action?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...52541593941257
akshay380 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 17:54   #6207
BHPian

A very different post to the usual rant against taxi drivers - a special shout out to the driver of Cisco cab KA50 8125, a silver Innova which I followed from Forum Mall to Agara. I found him following the rules, being patient in traffic and driving sanely. Examples include signals for lane changes, no incessant honking and actually driving in a straight line.
Tabasco Sauce is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 18:18   #6208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Some of you might be aware of the "service road" that joins Hosur Road from the JNC College Road. A few months back, the cops had put in a signal here to prevent motorists from jumping the signal on the main Hosur Road. What these jokers usually do is - to prevent getting caught at the signal, they would move into this "service Road" and since there was no signal, just ride/drive off to Hosur road towards the St.Johns junction.

But even after they have put in a signal here on the service road, no one stops when it is Red. It is bugging to be the only one stopping at this signal and I have been honked at, shouted at and abused. I was even abused a few days back by a cop (in mufti nonetheless) for not giving way when the signal was red.
And I am still the only joker who stops at this red signal. I have seen even lady drivers zoom off at this signal. Worse - some stop and then move on. I feel like a fool stopping here every day. But persevere I will.
naveenroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 20:20   #6209
BHPian

Quote:
And I am still the only joker who stops at this red signal. I have seen even lady drivers zoom off at this signal. Worse - some stop and then move on. I feel like a fool stopping here every day. But persevere I will.
The other day i saw a traffic COP hiding near a big gate on the left after the same signal and stopping auto drivers for jumping the signal. When you are at the spot where u wait at red signal cant easily sight the COP hiding

This was around 2-3 weeks back
Old 1st July 2014, 23:44   #6210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Almost every day, I end up with a red light at this signal. I diligently come to a halt behind the stop line. Some pesky 2-wheelers zip by, but once one or two of them stop, the others also follow suit and stop. Sometimes, other vehicles start honking like crazy, but I've never given in. A couple of weeks ago, the cop manning that signal gave an earful to the Sumo/Spacio behind that was honking away to hell while the signal was red. Made my day

The irony is, the vast majority of these vehicles that ignore the signal and proceed towards Silk Board get caught in the signals at St.John's hospital junction, under Madiwala underpass, or at the Madiwala police station signal

Most Viewed