Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 11:57   #14401
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Graphite India signal is a mess thanks to broken down water tanker right at the turning. Avoid if possible!
First, thanks for the timely post

I had a horrifying time reaching office today! My commute distance is just 2 km. Unlike every-day, today I started with me car, moved 200 from home to join the main road (Chinnapanahalli), happily waited at the same point for 35 minutes, logged into team-bhp, after reading your post turned back, left my car at home and took my two wheeler, came around 600 meters, stopped at the same point for another 25 minutes took a U turn, parked my bike at home and walked to my office in 17 minutes.

While the traffic got slow due to water tanker breakdown, my dear friends with cool gadgets in their pockets and latest lapy in their backpack ensured the traffic stopped permanently by moving into the opposite lane and stopping the oncoming vehicles completely.

From the tags around the neck and parking stickers on the cars and two-wheelers, I could conclude that these people were our own some from Best Employers, some from High Tech, some from Health Care, some from Networking and others. As I walked (inside few apartment compounds, as the footpath were also occupied) I just wondered, if companies are able to use no-brains people and produce great products, what great outputs would have come if these guys had some brain!
LoneRidder is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 12:12   #14402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post

I had a horrifying time reaching office today! My commute distance is just 2 km. Unlike every-day, today I started with me car, moved 200 from home to join the main road (Chinnapanahalli), happily waited at the same point for 35 minutes, logged into team-bhp, after reading your post turned back, left my car at home and took my two wheeler, came around 600 meters, stopped at the same point for another 25 minutes took a U turn, parked my bike at home and walked to my office in 17 minutes.
!
Discounting the bad footpaths, I would be happy if yourself get convinced and walk this distance everyday. There would be one automobile less on the road, apart from that you have good health too. And you can convince others too to do the same. No offence meant, just a food for thought.

About no brainers I entirely agree.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 14:45   #14403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
From the tags around the neck and parking stickers on the cars and two-wheelers, I could conclude that these people were our own some from Best Employers, some from High Tech, some from Health Care, some from Networking and others. As I walked (inside few apartment compounds, as the footpath were also occupied) I just wondered, if companies are able to use no-brains people and produce great products, what great outputs would have come if these guys had some brain!
Agree 110% .

I feel pity for those souls who rush by adding lanes in a direction and adding to the chaos on purpose. Earlier it was only two wheelers and shameless auto drivers. Now it can be anyone. Even a BMTC Volvo can be added to the list.
I just comfort myself that so far nobody pushes me or people like me , to a side and lets me be and allows me to travel at my slow poor measly speed.
They pass from the left, they pass from the right and are desperate to get ahead.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 18:04   #14404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I feel pity for those souls who rush by adding lanes in a direction and adding to the chaos on purpose. Earlier it was only two wheelers and shameless auto drivers. Now it can be anyone. Even a BMTC Volvo can be added to the list.
I just comfort myself that so far nobody pushes me or people like me , to a side and lets me be and allows me to travel at my slow poor measly speed.
They pass from the left, they pass from the right and are desperate to get ahead.
I used to get frustrated and highly pissed off with such people creating own lanes and try to get ahead by driving in opposite direction.
I have come to realize that there is no use in getting my BP up for such imbeciles.
If this is the discipline they are born and live with, they will only get ahead of me in traffic but never in personal or professional life.

Since I am not bound by any specific work timings, I adjust my commute to early mornings and early evenings avoiding the rush hour. On the off chance I have to commute during rush hours for client meetings, I change my playlist to include soothing music to keep me calm.

Weekends are no better as I reside in Bannerghatta Road and weekend traffic can get worse than on a weekday. I am actively avoiding venturing out on Weekends unless it is highly necessary.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 19:09   #14405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Discounting the bad footpaths, I would be happy if yourself get convinced and walk this distance everyday. apart from that you have good health too. And you can convince others too to do the same. No offence meant, just a food for thought.
Agree with this, except that walking also has become dangerous with vehicles all around.

Quote:
There would be one automobile less on the road.
I have stopped using car precisely for this reason. My commute is 15kms one way and I use my two wheeler. The time it takes for me is 35 to 45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Agree 110% .
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I used to get frustrated and highly pissed off with such people creating own lanes and try to get ahead by driving in opposite direction.
I feel people get frustrated by the number of cars choking the streets. When 20 cars are stuck for 30 minutes, two wheelers and autos will have no qualms adding lanes. It is not even a question of haves or have nots - it is the frustration arising of the fact that cars are hogging the roads. Imagine if all the two wheelers, autos and bus drivers religiously follow the rules of lane discipline - the whole city will be stuck in deadlock given the volume of vehicles. Chaos is interesting in its own way.

Believe me, I have tried this many times on my two wheeler - going behind a car without going on to the opposite lane - I have been not-so-politely honked at by the car behind me and asked to squeeze myself onto the footpath on the left or forcing me to "overtake" the car in front of me thereby making me break the lane discipline.

Forget the car drivers, traffic cops do not allow me to stop behind the line at signals - they want me to join the other vehicles who are already far infront of the line and by following rules I have created a gap between me and the vehicles in the front
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 09:09   #14406
BHPian

Surfing in the approach ramp from Marathahalli side of passport office flyover orr.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1502422695284.jpg  

aadya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 10:39   #14407
BHPian

Quote:
There would be one automobile less on the road, apart from that you have good health too. And you can convince others too to do the same.
Thanks for the advice. My evening commute involves little extra touring, picking kids etc, that necessitates the use of an automobile. I am also a runner, my daily run (around 10k) is more than my daily automobile commute

And convincing others, at this stage of life I would put my money in stock market and enjoy the risk than advice others !
Old 11th August 2017, 11:27   #14408
BHPian

Yesterday, i had to face the wrath of our 'smart riders/drivers' in 'Railway Parallel Road' (Sadanandnagar Main Road). This is what happened...My daily route from office (MTP) to home (near old BTP) is via ring road till Kasturinagar, then take the railway underpass road (very narrow road) to join OMR at Pai Layout junction and then take a u-turn there.
Few times, there will be a jam starting from Gopalan Signature Mall till SG Palya cross and during those times I take that Railway Parallel Road to join OMR. Yesterday also based on gmaps suggestion, i took this road. As soon as i moved few meters, i realized that vehicles coming from opposite site had completely blocked the road on both the sides till Byappanahalli Station back gate. There was one BMTC bus in front of me, so that bus was struggling to move through the traffic and I was left with no option but to follow that bus. After driving like this for 20mins or so, I saw the 'light at the end of the tunnel' after Metro station back gate.
I feel sorry for the gmaps. gmaps thought that the road is clear (which should have been) and hence suggested the same. But, poor app, how does it know that our 'smart' people can also enter on the wrong side and can block it completely!
I have one suggestion to gmaps, for a country like ours, it should also detect whether the traffic has been blocked on the wrong side and if so, then do not suggest that route! I know this is such a idea , but one can understand my with this idea
Old 11th August 2017, 12:16   #14409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Yesterday, i had to face the wrath of our 'smart riders/drivers' in 'Railway Parallel Road' (Sadanandnagar Main Road). This is what happened...My daily route from office (MTP) to home (near old BTP) is via ring road till Kasturinagar, then take the railway underpass road (very narrow road) to join OMR at Pai Layout junction and then take a u-turn there.
Few times, there will be a jam starting from Gopalan Signature Mall till SG Palya cross and during those times I take that Railway Parallel Road to join OMR. Yesterday also based on gmaps suggestion, i took this road. As soon as i moved few meters, i realized that vehicles coming from opposite site had completely blocked the road on both the sides till Byappanahalli Station back gate. There was one BMTC bus in front of me, so that bus was struggling to move through the traffic and I was left with no option but to follow that bus. After driving like this for 20mins or so, I saw the 'light at the end of the tunnel' after Metro station back gate.
I feel sorry for the gmaps. gmaps thought that the road is clear (which should have been) and hence suggested the same. But, poor app, how does it know that our 'smart' people can also enter on the wrong side and can block it completely!
I have one suggestion to gmaps, for a country like ours, it should also detect whether the traffic has been blocked on the wrong side and if so, then do not suggest that route! I know this is such a idea , but one can understand my with this idea
The reasons are:

1. The bottle neck after the back gate. All the vehicles coming from the back gate get stuck there.
2. The vehicles moving onto 8th main from the parallel road blocks the free movement resulting in all the two wheeler / autos to block the opposite lane.

No one seems to understand the meaning of "double white line" near the back gate. The line goes abruptly missing after the bottle neck. Maybe an ugly concrete divider is due there like they are coming up everywhere.

Google maps will be overwhelmed by all the "negative" test cases in our country. No AI will be able to beat our system, forget seeing driverless cars on our streets.
Old 11th August 2017, 14:08   #14410
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunate but not surprising

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20170811wa0009.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 11:35   #14411
BHPian

Witnessed and fell prey to a massive traffic jam from Hebbagodi to Attibele on Hosur Road from 7.30 am to 8.30 am today.

There was no accident to be seen. Was it due to toll gate issue at Attibele? Did anybody else spend quality time on road during this time?
k88k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 21:18   #14412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
Witnessed and fell prey to a massive traffic jam from Hebbagodi to Attibele on Hosur Road from 7.30 am to 8.30 am today.
It could be the "long week end" rush. Many people have opted for leave on Monday and it is a 4 day long vacation. The rush would be due to the late riser drivers all rushing out of the city.
Old 13th August 2017, 09:28   #14413
BHPian

Catching a 6:30 PM flight out of Bangalore tomorrow. I generally leave home from CMH Rd Indiranagar 4 hours before any scheduled departure. Saw saffron party flags on bellary road leading to esteem mall with photos of a prominent politician today. Does anybody know of any VIP movement tomorrow afternoon i.e. 14th Aug in the city?

If yes then will leave earlier.
Old 13th August 2017, 10:49   #14414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Saw saffron party flags on bellary road leading to esteem mall with photos of a prominent politician today
Amit Shah in Bangalore for 3 days 12th - 14th Aug. Today Tumkur road is bathed in saffron as he is traveling to Nagamangala. Havent seen any BTP traffic notification about VVIP movement.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 10:52   #14415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Does anybody know of any VIP movement tomorrow afternoon i.e. 14th Aug in the city?
If yes then will leave earlier.
BJP's Amit Shah is on a 3-day visit (12-14) to Karnataka as per the newspapers. So I guess there will be some VIP movement tomorrow. Its better to leave early if you have an evening flight.
jayantvs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks