Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2022, 13:57   #19816
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The U-grider technique being used now will certainly cut down the overall time for the completion of the project, no doubt, by years. But I think the barriers will remain till almost that completion date. Even once the spans are completed, they will have to barricade the area while they do track work, finishing, stations, etc. And going by what we've seen in the other sections of the metro, while we can remain optimistic, the reality is that 2025 is not going to happen and the road is going to be a mess till it finally finishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
but the barriers in whitefield main road were removed only a couple of months back, with the metro scheduled to open by Dec 2022.
I think a Dec 2022 opening of that stretch is highly unlikely. The following video seems very recent

At the 1:00 minute mark the missing section at the Tin Factory Station is still visible. So that needs to be done, track work, signalling, trial runs, inspection and certification (which going by the past sections, takes months even after everything is ready). So more probably March-June 2023. (I'm a big fan if the metro, use it a lot, and rooting for it to cover Bangalore as quick as possible, but the only thing certain about any Namma Metro deadline is that it will be missed!)

Last edited by am1m : 5th August 2022 at 14:11.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 13:58   #19817
Senior - BHPian

Evening traffic in Hebbal flyover. The old issues have been completely resolved. Notice how the flyover is completely empty at 11:30pm. Our Bangalore traffic police are doing great work.

Name:  F47473E4EE144BE28756130E1E10EA76.jpeg
Views: 406
Size:  102.9 KB
wildsdi5530 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 14:43   #19818
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Have not taken it, but since it starts from KSR, it should be on time. Even if it gets delayed reaching, you have plenty of buffer time. I assume the intention is to just try it out? Otherwise for a 10.20am flight , a cab or a bus would be more convenient as you would only need to start by say 6.30-7pm.
Yes, intention was just to try it out. Wasn't sure that the airport shuttle runs on time from this link station and all. As you said I would mostly take a cab considering the time I have. I will just try out the MEMU on another day.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 22:24   #19819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The good thing about the ORR metro line so far is that construction is happening very fast.
Have never seen any of the metro construction in the city progress so fast. So fingers crossed.
That's true. It is a non-stop day and night work. Every day there are new pillars coming up. Atleast some 30-40 of those drilling rigs are deployed throughout the Ring Road for this project. Guess there is no issue at all with funding.

Holding the ORR like this until 2025 without removing the barricades is going to be a nightmare. Even now with about 50% IT crowd on the road, it is a chaos. Imagine the situation if it gets to 100% by next year. On the other hand this can be an excuse to continue the hybrid work model.

OT: How do they ensure these tall drilling rigs stay straight without toppling. Its engine bay and cabin covers only so much base for such a tall structure. For a second I always gets scared passing beside these super tall machines.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 6th August 2022 at 22:32.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 06:28   #19820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
That's true. It is a non-stop day and night work.
Quote:

Have never seen any of the metro construction in the city progress so fast. So fingers crossed.
Even the other lines were constructed rapidly, and then there would be a pause because some crucial station or part of the line would be held up due to some legal or political issues. This is probably why E. Sreedharan of the Delhi Metro fame was not recruited for Namma Metro.
Old 12th August 2022, 08:38   #19821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The U-grider technique being used now will certainly cut down the overall time for the completion of the project, no doubt, by years. But I think the barriers will remain till almost that completion date. Even once the spans are completed, they will have to barricade the area while they do tra!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Holding the ORR like this until 2025 without removing the barricades is going to be a nightmare. Even now with about 50% IT crowd on the road, it is a chaos. Imagine the situation if it gets to 100% by next year. .
I think the barricades will be removed sooner in this case due to the U girder tech. Compared to before, if you see the process is greatly simplified and made quicker. Earlier, the barricades would come up from the point the piling rigs would drill holes, casting of pile caps, pillars, pillar cap, assembling of gantry cranes, launching of segments, building the parapet walls. Here, from the point the pillar caps are assembled and U girder placed, its as good as done. We don't need barricades to be placed for track work. That is the reason in the sections where the pillars are complete, they have already moved in the barricades on one side and kept the other side intact for their own movements.

Hence apart from the places where stations will come up, work will be completed much quicker on the ORR metro. The stations itself will be the bottleneck to be worried about.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 11:01   #19822
BHPian

MES ROB closed, expect Yeshwathpur & Mekhri circle to be clogged :-(
Quote:
The movement of vehicles is banned for the next five days at Muthyalanagar owing to work taken up by the Railway Department on the MES flyover (Railway overbridge).
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...k-1135710.html
Old 13th August 2022, 12:09   #19823
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
MES ROB closed, expect Yeshwathpur & Mekhri circle to be clogged :-(
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...k-1135710.html
This is year 2022 and seasoned journalists have not learnt to put a simple graphic from Google Maps showing the route that is closed... Sigh!

For an intermittent commuter to that side, reading the article makes no sense to me. Will it impact me with traffic jams if I wanted to travel via Hebbal to somewhere outstation after Nelamangala? I need to spend another 15 mins on google maps researching this ...
Ragul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 14:24   #19824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
This is year 2022 and seasoned journalists have not learnt to put a simple graphic from Google Maps showing the route that is closed... Sigh!
What about our police babus? They too have stuck to their roots - good old thoroughly indecipherable Raj format circulars.

I think the NGT should pass a law (can they?) to mandatorily retire our bureaucrats after 5 years along with any fossilized laws that pollute our common sense.
Old 15th August 2022, 11:38   #19825
Distinguished - BHPian

Not Bangalore city per-se, but any idea of Bangalore-Nelamangala ? The stretch all the way upto nelamangala is marked with broken red line, on g-maps
Old 17th August 2022, 17:49   #19826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not Bangalore city per-se, but any idea of Bangalore-Nelamangala ? The stretch all the way upto nelamangala is marked with broken red line, on g-maps
Only the brave, the desperate or the illiterate venture into that area now
Diversionary tactic: Work in progress throws North-West Bengaluru off gear

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...campaign=cppst

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th August 2022 at 17:51.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:46   #19827
Distinguished - BHPian

Hebbal saga continues...
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...k-1137337.html
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:33   #19828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
One more flyover to be dismantled and another one built?! They're just playing with us, this is getting obvious that all they want is to push multi-crore road infra projects with no real long-term plan or quality in mind, just to loot money! All new road projects should be scrapped at least till the Metro line is completed there. And that money should be diverted into maintaining exiting road infra (but not white-topping! just use good quality tar!), enforcement of traffic rules strictly on the roads (clear parked vehicles, stop wrong side driving, enforce lane discipline). That will go a long way to ease the traffic congestion without these new multi-crore flyover projects that basically move the jam from one place to another (and move our tax money into politician's and sub-standard road contractor's hands - which is of course the whole point!).

Last edited by am1m : 19th August 2022 at 15:39.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 16:51   #19829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Only the brave, the desperate or the illiterate venture into that area now
not able to make out what's the work being done. I know that elevated road towards Tumkur was closed in December, testing was done, and then only LMV were allowed. But no clear news on the current work being done, and the planned duration of the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
One more flyover to be dismantled and another one built?!
The entire set of lanes need to be widened. I could give the loop for Tumkur side towards Mehkri circle some space, but the one where the traffic coming from Nagavara cutting across the traffic coming in the opp direction to join this new loop doesnt look logical.

Even if they do this re-routing, the down ramp towards the city is way too narrow. Needs 4 lanes a side, while it's just two in that last stretch as we approach the police station there.

Last edited by condor : 19th August 2022 at 16:56.
Old 19th August 2022, 19:19   #19830
Team-BHP Support

The entire stretch from ITC Windsor Bridge to Hebbal is a mish-mash of brain-dead traffic management ideas, and needs a complete do-over, instead of tossing a few hundred crores down the drain every few years on new 'ideas'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks