Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 07:23   #18106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

People,
Would it be safe to park bike(s) on the road in front of your house in a residential area? I'm looking at an rental option in HSR Layout (Sector 6) with no gated parking available and hence wondering about this.

The area has several vehicles parked like that (attached image) and moderate street lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20191215_214524.jpg  

Old 16th December 2019, 07:40   #18107
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Would it be safe to park bike(s) on the road in front of your house in a residential area? I'm looking at an rental option in HSR Layout (Sector 6) with no gated parking available and hence wondering about this.
Definitely seems risky. Heck, recently there was a news item about Bangalore cops on night rounds picking up a motorcycle and then demanding some money from the owner for tracking and retrieving it from a thief (the whole thing was caught on a neighbor's CCTV camera, so don't know how it ended)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 08:19   #18108
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a rant, but an interesting article I came across today.

Quote:
The initial probe revealed that the accused were conducting illegal checks for a month and had collected huge sums of money illegally from drivers. The accused would target drunk drivers and threaten to slap court notices on them apart from seizing their DLs. The accused would then negotiate with the drivers and collect money ranging from ₹5,000 to ₹10,000. Many people, owing to the fear of going to court and getting their DL suspended, ended up paying the bribe, the police said.

Link
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 09:00   #18109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Definitely seems risky. Heck, recently there was a news item about Bangalore cops on night rounds picking up a motorcycle and then demanding some money from the owner for tracking and retrieving it from a thief (the whole thing was caught on a neighbor's CCTV camera, so don't know how it ended)
It was a scooty / activa type vehicle and was kept parked in an apartment's visitor parking which was just outside the building, covered on the building's cctv cameras.

The lady's sister was a reporter and it made it to social media / newspapers etc. The police got embarrassed into giving the vehicle back.
Old 16th December 2019, 09:23   #18110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would it be safe to park bike(s) on the road in front of your house in a residential area?
Well, a lot of my neighbors park their bikes (and cars!) on the road. They've been doing that for years and there don't seem to have been any issues (so far!).

I've parked my bike outside a couple of times, when I know I need to leave very early the next morning and I don't want to wake everyone up opening the gate to get the bike out of the house.

However, I won't be doing that anymore because of a very odd reason - parkour dogs!

A couple of weeks ago, we were woken up in the middle of the night by some growling. Went down and saw a couple of stray dogs inside the compound! They had apparently gotten inside to chase some kittens that had been hanging around the car. (The damn dogs also dented the car in the process, pathetic Maruti Swift build quality!) Opened the gate and they ran out, but couldn't figure out how the dogs got in, because the walls are high and there are no gaps in or under the gate. Then I saw the paw prints on the bike seat. It had been parked outside the house that night, next to the wall and the dogs used the bike to jump the wall and get in!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 09:24   #18111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
People,

The area has several vehicles parked like that (attached image) and moderate street lighting.
It is fine. As long as there is good lighting. And nice neighbours. If you’re parking a bike, then its useful to add a chain lock as an added measure.
Even in Madras , along many streets in Kotturpuram and other areas, I see a lot of cars parked right on the street. Same in Delhi and Bombay.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:01   #18112
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it just me or the drink and drive checks are going on a bit too much by the collection agents this year?

Never have I been pulled over for a check until this month and it's been 3 times already, with the collection agent's eyes already deeming us guilty before the test, higher fines making their mouth water I'd assume?

Just as they were in the process of harassing me, a KTM Duke (of course) with 2 helmetless riders, who would've been most likely, guilty, ran through the red light, and I immediately scolded the money collection agent to look but he was more interested in my results (I don't drink, btw).

I muttered quite loudly to him that with law enforcement agents like these who needs criminals, he got the message and also had a couple of things to say, I told him to throw me behind bars if he can, I'd love it.

This was at 7.30 odd pm on Saturday, en route a bar, but why deem everyone taking that path as guilty? I was returning after work and so were many others.

I'm dead sure the greed is a massive factor this time, higher incentive higher motivation. They tap the door glass with their device like I'm some drug mule taking cannabis and escaping their long, serpentine arm.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:06   #18113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This seems to be working Overall. I like the way the majority of the Private car drivers, barring a few, are not violating the bus lane.
Reality check as I just traveled by Volvo on the dreaded route of Jayanagar - BTM-Silk Board- HAS- Iblur- Ecospace- Traffic wardens are less and hence the flouting of the bus lane has become more and the usual suspects leading the way ( ola, 2 wheelers, Ape ), IMO this experiment will be consigned to the annals of failed attempts ( Magic box, signal free corridor,bus day etc) if the policing is not improved and violators gets challaned immediately.
mazda4life is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:15   #18114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Is it just me or the drink and drive checks are going on a bit too much by the collection agents this year?
The cops have certainly become more strict about drunken driving checks, especially around areas that have a high concentration of drinking places. Was driving back home last Saturday and was stopped for checking 3 times in the space of 5-7 km - MG Road, Indiranagar, and Jeevanbhimanagar. Was coming back from a long drive and was tired, so was a bit short-tempered and asked the cops at the 2nd and 3rd check what the heck this was with so many checks (reasonably politely, of course). They were very polite too, the cop at the 3rd check actually apologized and didn't ask me to blow into the meter.

In hindsight, they are just doing their job, should be grateful I guess, even if the motivation is just to collect fines. True, it is frustrating when some people break the check and escape. But overall, hope the cops get as strict with other major traffic violations like signal jumping, wrong side driving/riding and vehicles using footpaths. Undeniable that the drunken driving checks have worked in Bangalore. Most of us wouldn't even dream of driving/riding back after even one drink in Bangalore, especially on weekends. Speaking from personal experience, that was not the case 10-15 years ago.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:45   #18115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
It's funny how we complain when cops do their job and then complain when they don't. There is no way for a cop to know that a person driving the car is drunk until they do the test. IF they are doing their duty I let them do it happily knowing that at least because of that check there might be few less morons on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
But overall, hope the cops get as strict with other major traffic violations like signal jumping, wrong side driving/riding and vehicles using footpaths. Undeniable that the drunken driving checks have worked in Bangalore. Most of us wouldn't even dream of driving/riding back after even one drink in Bangalore, especially on weekends. Speaking from personal experience, that was not the case 10-15 years ago.
The problem is the sheer number of people abusing the law. Cops are far less in number (and a few of them are no saints either) and they prioritize I guess what to look for on certain streets or days.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:54   #18116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Reality check as I just traveled by Volvo on the dreaded route of Jayanagar - BTM-Silk Board- HAS- Iblur- Ecospace- Traffic wardens are less and hence the flouting of the bus lane has become more and the usual suspects leading the way ( ola, 2 wheelers, Ape ), IMO this experiment will be consigned to the annals of failed attempts ( Magic box, signal free corridor,bus day etc) if the policing is not improved and violators gets challaned immediately.
Today traveled in BMTC ORR office Bus, Marshalls and Traffic police were asking people to move away from Bus lane and after passing police they were again getting into lane. I guess police are told to be lenient for few days and start putting fine after some days.

I guess instead of police standing in middle and pushing vehicles away, they just need to install 5-10 automatic cameras per km, where any violations will be automatically recorded and fined. Imagine Rs 5000 fine for travelling 1 kms and passing 10 cameras, no one will dare to enter bus lane.

This is what i saw in my recent trip to italy, entering bus lane has automatic fine of 138 Euro per camera. A km in bus lane can land you in fine upto 1380 Euros.

At least police can start with hand-held camera or even mobile camera and start fining, things can easily fall in place. Trying to educate educated wont take us anywhere.
shamanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:59   #18117
Senior - BHPian

On a related note, I wonder who decided the uniform for the Marshalls as military camouflage? They are hard to spot in the middle of the road and I hope none of them end up under a bus or truck.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 13:02   #18118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People,

Its risky, though very commonly done. Several years ago, a friend had his Pulsar just lifted off from a similar parking situation in BTM layout, and he saw nothing of it thereafter. More recently, a friend has his Bullet stolen right from the heart of Jayanagar, and the cops have been able to do nothing of it even as on date.

Bike thefts are fairly common, and tempting fate by parking on the roads like this may not be a good idea.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 16th December 2019 at 13:04.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 00:03   #18119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
It's funny how we complain when cops do their job and then complain when they don't. There is no way for a cop to know that a person driving the car is drunk until they do the test.
I agree, BUT just like sensational journalism with the fiery graphics, howling moderators and bunkum debates, seem rather lame, in comparison to a well researched, well planned news program, there is a difference between jumping out the bushes and randomly flagging cars and everyone focussing on that one car, versus say a well planned checkpoint where they barricade and throttle the road, to respectfully check every suspect, people will fall in line.

It is THIS grotesque display of cat catching the mouse that I have a problem with, that and banging on the glass to lower it. One check point was well organized and I was happy to cooperate, but to me we need to grow out of this sensation policing where they suddenly flag vehicles with a second notice, and then stick close to the car to dictate every inch of our movement, like we are seasoned cons.

All that and they left a no-helmet, red light illegal crossing and possibly drunk couple on a bike and just gave up because they cant plan their ambush tactics properly. Hope I'm clear, compliance is something I'm happy to do but at the cost of being treated as a law abiding citizen.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 11:47   #18120
BHPian

Heavy traffic on Marathalli bridge service lane going towards Sarjapur due to an accident caused by a truck that rammed into the adjoining shops.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20191217_105159.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20191217_105207.jpg
grevvity is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks