Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2013, 22:25   #4246
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
looks like someone paid a lil' visit to the itsy-bitsy pothole

i make it a point to keep center when i'm nearing that spot
Yes, but it was a careful, slow dip in and out problem was though I spotted it just in time, there were other vehicles on my left so could not change lanes
In other news, another round of digging took place on Old Madras Road just after the Suranjan Das Road signal near Fuscos school when going towards 80 feet Road. This stretch was recently patched up so that itself was probably the reason for this round of excavation, saw some pipes, cables etc being pulled out yesterday morning and by late evening it seemed to be hastily filled up with mud and a visible mound now, so a good 7 feet or so of one side is unusable
Old 1st April 2013, 13:38   #4247
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

My rant on Bangalore Traffic police:

So I was in the company bus today (~9:40 AM) and I see three bikers in a queue riding on the service road. Just before the Bellandur flyover (from Sarjapur side), there is a gap between the service lane and the main road. There is some mess which has caused water logging at this crossing.

At this point, there is a Traffic cop who was quietly waiting for his prey. Suddenly he jumps on the path of the bikers. The first biker brakes hard, skids and falls into the slush. Two other bikers following him, hard brake and both skid and fall. It was a nasty scene. All this, just due to bloody greedy policeman waiting to get some quick bucks. C'mon, the guys wore helmet, well dressed, looked like IT Professionals and riding the bikes in accordance with all road law (no law breaking methods). All this happened within 1-2 mins. Our bus was stuck at the flyover ramp and I was watching this drama from the bus.

The first biker gets up, removes his helmet and starts gesturing something at the cop. The shocked cop was trying to lift the fallen bike. I wish he would have got a hard slap on his face for making 3 law abiding bikers fall.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 14:04   #4248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
All this, just due to bloody greedy policeman waiting to get some quick bucks. C'mon, the guys wore helmet, well dressed, looked like IT Professionals and riding the bikes in accordance with all road law (no law breaking methods).
It was a clear attempt at making some money. Maybe the bikes were non-KA registered? That increases the probability of checking.

As far as I know, they are not supposed to stop anyone for "checking". They are only authorized to stop vehicles which violate traffic rules. There is a public order against this and the riders were well within their rights to challenge the cop. BTP clearly mentions this on their FAQ section :
http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...id=140&btp=140

Quoting this relevant part :
Quote:
If a motorist is stopped by a traffic policeman only for checking his documents, what step should he take?

As per an order given to all traffic policemen, they are not supposed to stop any motorist just for checking documents. The motorist has the right to refuse the officer's request. However, a motorist's documents can be checked if he has committed an offence. If a motorist has been stopped without reason, he can note down the name and rank of the police officer and lodge a complaint on the website or email us at addlcptrafficbcp@gmail.com .
One constable stopped me recently when I was on the bike, for no reason. I simply smiled and told him about this rule and asked him what offense I had done. Initially they argued that they had the authority to check anyone's documents whenever they wanted. I refused to show them any documents (although I was carrying everything), opened this BTP website on the mobile and pointed out this FAQ. As mentioned in the FAQ, I asked him his name and his rank to report to higher-ups. The hapless constable and his SI both lost their nerve and asked me to just leave from the place. I suggest anyone else stopped without reason, to do the same thing. They need to learn that bribery-related harassing will not be tolerated.

Last edited by KarthikK : 1st April 2013 at 14:15.
KarthikK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 14:18   #4249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
As far as I know, they are not supposed to stop anyone for "checking". They are only authorized to stop vehicles which violate traffic rules.
Absolutely true. I had read this part earlier. This was a good measure taken up by BTP to spread awareness amongst public. But I see that the bigger problem lies in the way these rogue cops operate. They would stand very close to crowded places where vehicles automatically slow down. The first stance they take is take out the key and then gesture you to move the bike aside. The moment you come back to talk to the cops, they don't pay attention to you anymore. They look here and there and keep blabbering nonsense. I was once stopped at AXA Signal. I was trying to make eye contact with the cop, but he kept looking otherways and kept saying 200 Rs fine. I was not smart at that moment to show him the BTP Page. I ended up paying 100 Rs fine, without a receipt, without knowing my offence. I assume it was a OR registered bike. But I already had paid KA road tax and had the receipt also. Again, I was new to B'lore at that time (> 5yrs back).

Coming to now-a-days, I wonder how many of the road users are:
1- Aware of the BTP Rules (Not to randomly check vehicles).
2- Have the patience, time and the guts to argue with a cop by opening up the BTP Page and showing him FAQ's. I am sure that person would be willing to slide a 100Rs note under the pocket and get out of the situation.

I am really happy that you have given a dose of their own medicine to the cops.
I wish someday I fall in such a situation and then rip off the pants of those thug cops.
Old 1st April 2013, 14:33   #4250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Quoting this relevant part :
One constable stopped me recently when I was on the bike, for no reason. I simply smiled and told him about this rule and asked him what offense I had done. Initially they argued that they had the authority to check anyone's documents whenever they wanted. I refused to show them any documents (although I was carrying everything), opened this BTP website on the mobile and pointed out this FAQ. As mentioned in the FAQ, I asked him his name and his rank to report to higher-ups. The hapless constable and his SI both lost their nerve and asked me to just leave from the place. I suggest anyone else stopped without reason, to do the same thing. They need to learn that bribery-related harassing will not be tolerated.
Karthik, logically I agree with you but practically its easier said than done. Are you a localite? I feel yes and this is to your advantage.
We outsiders are banned to cross question folks from BMTC, Traffic, Policing, cabbies and auto rickhshaws. It becomes an ego issue for them on context such as how dare an outsider teaching us law or confronting us that too standing right on the piece of land we own.

Brother, If I try to argue with a traffic cops, 1st both of us wont understand as there are very less constables or SIs who understand english/Hindi. 2nd, they will not look at the logic but take it to their ego. 3rd, the higher ups will take up their side because of the same state brotherhood.

Its true for most states if not all. I don't know what we can really do to get ppl rid of this feeling. Apparently I don't see any way other than to abide by and accept it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 1st April 2013 at 14:36.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 14:40   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
This is one stupid way to keep bikers away from the pavement.

It is more like creating a hurdle for foot-walkers. People will FALL. Specially senior citizens (ladies).
There is one near my house. People often trip over it, cops have not painted it and hence it is not visible unless people look down and walk.
Old 1st April 2013, 14:51   #4252
Senior - BHPian

BTP FAQ pg.2:

Can police penalize vehicles with number plate of other State?

No. police is not authorized to penalize any one for out Station number plates. This is not the mandate for police.

IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 14:54   #4253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Karthik, logically I agree with you but practically its easier said than done. Are you a localite? I feel yes and this is to your advantage.
We outsiders are banned to cross question folks from BMTC, Traffic, Policing, cabbies and auto rickhshaws.
Thanks!
Hey Shiv, agree to your post partly but a law is a law is a LAW!
These sort of stupid indifference is common but that does not mean that they should get away with it.
Again, as you said it is easier said than done, but there should be an effort else the situation will only worsen from here!

If you are right, in this case, have all the documents and papers then you must stand up and try to force the correct way. I myself know how difficult it is, I am frequently treated as an outsider though being Kannadiga (gora chitha!). It frustrates me but give them a proper dose and chances are they will fall back in place. Try karne main kya harz hai?

Last edited by MotoNanu : 1st April 2013 at 14:55.
MotoNanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 15:06   #4254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Hey Shiv, agree to your post partly but a law is a law is a LAW!
These sort of stupid indifference is common but that does not mean that they should get away with it.

If you are right, in this case, have all the documents and papers then you must stand up and try to force the correct way.
Sir, I completely agree with you on Law holding higher precedence but then the ppl we are talking about are the law makers themselves and unfortunately the biggest law breakers too. I love Bangalore as much as you guys do but i feel sad when I see the conductor giving me a mean look and asking Kannada Gottilva ? How is his job related to a person's cast, creed or origin ?

I recently went to the passport office and the person even after myself telling him that i cant understand what he is trying to say continued speaking in Kannada and then asked the next person to present his case bypassing me. Pure case of ignorance.

These are isolated cases but makes me feel sad. I think we are going O.T

Thank You for the suggestion. I too hold a TN registered bike. Let me see if these laws can save me if ever needed.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 15:10   #4255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brother, If I try to argue with a traffic cops, 1st both of us wont understand as there are very less constables or SIs who understand english/Hindi.
So, what is the solution to this communication gap?
Old 1st April 2013, 15:34   #4256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
So, what is the solution to this communication gap?
Highly OT, but I chose to give my opinion.

I guess solution would be to rationalise the language barrier. In a Govt. job (or whatever job), I guess it is important to know (rather understand and speak) atleast 3 languages:
- English < Official Language >
- Hindi < National Language >
- Regional Language < State Language >

This would serve - The outsiders (non-state), the locals (own-state) and the NRIs'. Is it that difficult or am I asking something illegal ?
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 15:43   #4257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
I love Bangalore as much as you guys do but i feel sad when I see the conductor giving me a mean look and asking Kannada Gottilva ? How is his job related to a person's cast, creed or origin ?

I recently went to the passport office and the person even after myself telling him that i cant understand what he is trying to say continued speaking in Kannada and then asked the next person to present his case bypassing me. Pure case of ignorance.
On a lighter note, am always having the opposite situation. I start speaking Kannada to autowallas, conductor, shopkeepers etc, and they start talking/ trying broken Hindi with me. I am very amused as well as frustrated!
This happens every other day with me!
Old 1st April 2013, 15:52   #4258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I guess solution would be to rationalise the language barrier. In a Govt. job (or whatever job), I guess it is important to know (rather understand and speak) atleast 3 languages:
- English < Official Language >
- Hindi < National Language >
- Regional Language < State Language >

This would serve - The outsiders (non-state), the locals (own-state) and the NRIs'. Is it that difficult or am I asking something illegal ?
Ok, how many languages should a native Hindi speaker need to know in a State where Hindi is the State language?.

PS 1: Isn't Hindi a redundant choice if English serves the purpose?
PS 2: What if I change my State often?

Last edited by msdivy : 1st April 2013 at 15:58.
Old 1st April 2013, 16:04   #4259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Ok, how many languages should a native Hindi speaker need to know in a State where Hindi is the State language?.

PS 1: Isn't Hindi a redundant choice if English serves the purpose?
PS 2: What if I change my State often?
PS 1: Agree, Hindi is redundant if English serves the purpose, but somewhere, the Autowallah, or the Tea-Shop guy, or the Puncture guy might not know English. You can mix match Hindi, English and regional languages to communicate.

PS 2: Changing the state often means you have to stick to atleast Hindi and English, if not the regional language. But I would recommend atleast understanding the regional language. I have picked up some bits of Kannada in my last 5 years in B'lore, although I can't speak fluently.

I hope Mods are not watching my post for OT.
Old 1st April 2013, 16:06   #4260
BHPian

I just moved to Bangalore from Delhi. One thing I instantly noticed is the amount of trucks on the roads. Can anyone tell me why trucks and tankers are allowed into the city during the day? I see a lot of slow trucks on narrow roads blocking the whole traffic. Is there some historical reason?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks