Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 16:24   #4261
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
PS 1: Agree, Hindi is redundant if English serves the purpose, but somewhere, the Autowallah, or the Tea-Shop guy, or the Puncture guy might not know English. You can mix match Hindi, English and regional languages to communicate.
The question is how would a auto driver, tea-shop owner or puncher guy would know Hindi in a non-Hindi speaking State? (unless that person is a bollywood fan )

PS: I would recommend to communication is local language. If not please use English. Any other language might help but not a necessity.
Old 1st April 2013, 16:29   #4262
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
I guess it is important to know (rather understand and speak) atleast 3 languages:
- English < Official Language >
- Hindi < National Language >
- Regional Language < State Language >
Is it that difficult or am I asking something illegal ?
My big problem with this is that there is no such thing as "Hindi = National Language".

If one doesn't know Kannada one's SOL on Bangalore's streets anyway.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 16:38   #4263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokie View Post
I just moved to Bangalore from Delhi. One thing I instantly noticed is the amount of trucks on the roads. Can anyone tell me why trucks and tankers are allowed into the city during the day? I see a lot of slow trucks on narrow roads blocking the whole traffic. Is there some historical reason?
Haha, good question but first, welcome to Bangalore.
Trucks I am not very sure because as per the laws they aren't allowed except those Tata 407 I guess. Tankers, yes, you will see them all around as Bangalore water supply is dependant on them.
Now most of the time these tanker drivers are very harsh. They just keep there rides jumping here and there.

Hope that clears it out Have a good stay.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 16:39   #4264
BHPian

Quote:
I just moved to Bangalore from Delhi. One thing I instantly noticed is the amount of trucks on the roads. Can anyone tell me why trucks and tankers are allowed into the city during the day? I see a lot of slow trucks on narrow roads blocking the whole traffic. Is there some historical reason?
No I there is no historical reason, and there are laws to prevent trucks on certain roads during certain times in the day, the issue is about enforcing this.
In this country and more so in this state, each law is a new way to make a quick buck by the law enforcing agency. The long list of fines payable put up in different places in Bangalore is actually the number of options the cops have to harass hapless citizens under!!
Old 1st April 2013, 16:40   #4265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My big problem with this is that there is no such thing as "Hindi = National Language".

No offence to anybody, but I dont think one needs to learn German to go and work in Germany, or Italian in Italy.

Moreover TN is a special case, rest all the states, I personally think have mandated Hindi in primary school....
Old 1st April 2013, 16:46   #4266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Hindi is not the National Language as per constitution. But its totally OT anyways.

Its less to do with local feelings and stuff. Its more to do with the bribes. "outsiders" are easy prey, not just in Blore but any state any city. One doesnt stand up and argue and wants to get to office fast if it costs some bucks. And if at all one argues, the cops play " i dont know your language" part, and usually gets few local supporters. There has been enough cases reported of this including famed page 3 celebrities.
mannubhai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 16:49   #4267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
So, what is the solution to this communication gap?
Are you hinting at learning Kannada ? if yes, I disagree, I keep visiting new cities both within India and outside. Does it mean, I should learn all languages? My life would become miserable. Learning a language is one of the fun activities but it should not be to save you from humiliation.
what's required is a general acceptance in the society and an awareness that we all are equal. We all are Indians.

Common saying : It should be process dependant not person. Hope you get my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
On a lighter note, am always having the opposite situation. I start speaking Kannada to autowallas, conductor, shopkeepers etc, and they start talking/ trying broken Hindi with me. I am very amused as well as frustrated!
This happens every other day with me!

Strange that a person's origin is assumed based on his/her appearance
How can a person look north/east/south/west Indian is beyond my sense of understanding.

If I could understand that even a bit, i could probably dress up like all sorts as per my need but then i don't completely rule out what you trying to convey. Its true with most of the natives irrespective of state.

Thanks Gentlemen.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 1st April 2013 at 16:50.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 16:54   #4268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Haha, good question but first, welcome to Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
No I there is no historical reason, and there are laws to prevent trucks on certain roads during certain times in the day, the issue is about enforcing this.
In this country and more so in this state, each law is a new way to make a quick buck by the law enforcing agency. The long list of fines payable put up in different places in Bangalore is actually the number of options the cops have to harass hapless citizens under!!
Thanks for the warm welcome. In Delhi, they stop them at the borders. They line up and at 11pm they let them in. I see large multi axle trucks, the one with long beds and cargo carriers and container carriers. And Oil tankers. Water I can sort of understand, but why petrol and diesel tankers in the middle of the day?
Old 1st April 2013, 16:58   #4269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you hinting at learning Kannada ?
No, I just want to find solution to simple communication gap problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
No offence to anybody, but I dont think one needs to learn German to go and work in Germany, or Italian in Italy.
Not sure if thats the case in Germany or Italy...
Quote:
Moreover TN is a special case, rest all the states, I personally think have mandated Hindi in primary school....
If somebody has been to primary school, their English would be as good as Hindi.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:02   #4270
Senior - BHPian

re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Phew.... The tu-tu main-main (who's correct) will never end on the topic of "What language."

Like Shiv_1984 says -
"We all are Indians and things should be process dependant not person."
One more thing - Respect, to get Respect.

Lets move away from this topic, some Mod might find us out and bang Infractions on us.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 17:09   #4271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome. In Delhi, they stop them at the borders. They line up and at 11pm they let them in. I see large multi axle trucks, the one with long beds and cargo carriers and container carriers. And Oil tankers. Water I can sort of understand, but why petrol and diesel tankers in the middle of the day?
Mostly the trucks take the ring roads or NICE road and such. The ring roads have become city roads and new peripheral roads are being built to force trucks to go out of city limits even more.
There are lot of roads where trucks are not allowed during morning hours also.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:09   #4272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
There is one near my house. People often trip over it, cops have not painted it and hence it is not visible unless people look down and walk.
Please take a real scenario pic or video if possible and post it on BTP FB page. They need to stop such stupidity. I just hope they do not build these kind of blocks all over Bangalore.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:12   #4273
BHPian

Quote:
No, I just want to find solution to simple communication gap problem.

Not sure if thats the case in Germany or Italy...

If somebody has been to primary school, their English would be as good as Hindi.
I am not starting another debate here. Personally I am not sentimental about any language, ultimately its just a tool to communicate, and I find these Hindi vs Kannada vs English fights and debates pretty petty and childish

Disclaimer: msdivy, I am not saying here that you or anybody is involved in English vs Kannada vs Hindi debates / fights. This is just a random statement, which I hope shouldn't offend anybody....
evilshantanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 17:24   #4274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Phew.... The tu-tu main-main (who's correct) will never end on the topic of "What language."
Quote:
I am not starting another debate here. Personally I am not sentimental about any language, ultimately its just a tool to communicate, and I find these Hindi vs Kannada vs English fights and debates pretty petty and childish
Well, I don't think anybody is debating which language is better here. What we are discussing is which is the best language to communicate.

I think the discussion started because OP was communicating in the language other person did not understand. That is a gap in communication.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 18:47   #4275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you hinting at learning Kannada ? if yes, I disagree, I keep visiting new cities both within India and outside. Does it mean, I should learn all languages? My life would become miserable.
People visit different cities for different periods of time. A person who stays in a city (whatever city) on the longer term should atleast make an effort in trying to understand the local lingo if not speak fluently.

For example, If I go to any place where Hindi is the native language and start blabbering in Kannada/Tamil/Telugu, surely I would be laughed at, wouldn't I? So what is the solution to this issue. I surely can't expect the native Hindi speakers to learn my language to communicate with me. They would rather ignore me. As a person who is residing in a place which is not my native, I am expected to try and fit in, for my own benefit if not for others.

Short term visits to others cities are a different matter. This issue is purely relevant to the migrant population.

Quote:
Studying Hindi in primary school does not ensure that everyone is proficient in the language. I struggled with Hindi in primary school and had to change the language to Sanskrit just to pass. It is another matter that I am now mostly fluent in Hindi and don't even remember a word of Sanskrit.

Quote:
The question is how would a auto driver, tea-shop owner or puncher guy would know Hindi in a non-Hindi speaking State? (unless that person is a bollywood fan )

PS: I would recommend to communication is local language. If not please use English. Any other language might help but not a necessity.
Well said msdivy. Even if he is a bollywood fan, it does not mean that he will know hindi. People should appreciate the fact that 'inspite' of Hindi not being the native language here in Bangalore, most people do put in an effort to speak to their Hindi speaking counterparts in Hindi. The sad thing is that this effort is not being reciprocated. Of course there are exceptions.

I hope people take this in the right spirit
addyhemmige is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks