Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 10:42   #5761
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Forgot to put up this post yesterday.

Yesterday, I had to return home at around 1:30PM, from Whitefield to BTM. As I approached the Sarjapur flyover, towards Agara, I noticed a huge jam, stretching till Bakasur. Took me over 20 mins to get down the flyover.
Initially I thought it to be an accident. When I came down the flyover, I was in for a major surprise.

A speed hump was being constructed and policemen was watching the show, instead of regulating the traffic.

So, bottomline is - When you come down the Sarjapur flyover, from Bellandur side to Agara side, there is a massive speed hump, near the bus stop.
Please be cautious, as it doesn't have the white stripes yet.
In Bangalore, most of the speed breakers are un marked. If you are a resident of the area , familiarity of the hump location will help you in automatically reducing the vehicle speed rather than the speed breaker doing it's job.
For people not familiar with the area or being new to that area, i would suggest avoid driving/riding at night to be on the safer side.
Old 26th March 2014, 10:58   #5762
BHPian

Why are they wasting money on putting speed humps in Bangalore.

Better wait for some civic agency and they will do their job, dutifully and beautifully, but only that the speed hump will be inverted and we call it as crater/gutter/pothole .

The end purpose is solved. Speeding vehicles will slowdown.
No white stripes or signboards required for speed hump and for a pothole.
If you know there is one, then you are lucky, otherwise, blame your fate
Old 26th March 2014, 11:19   #5763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Better wait for some civic agency and they will do their job, dutifully and beautifully, but only that the speed hump will be inverted and we call it as crater/gutter/pothole .
I guess we have a plenty of them across the city. While commuting to my office, i find it next to impossible going beyond 40 or 60kph, all credit to the beautiful & dutiful bumps and craters.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:21   #5764
BHPian

Quote:
A speed hump was being constructed and policemen was watching the show, instead of regulating the traffic.
This has created (and will be a regular affair) a huge traffic backlog all the way till the start of the flyover.

There is an epidemic traffic jam right after the bellandur flyover everyday because of the speedbreaker in front of Shell bunk. I was hoping this will be removed one day, but after seeing the Iblur hump, I lost all hope. The speedbreakers are supposed to help the pedestrians cross the road, but does it help? Hell no!
Old 26th March 2014, 12:04   #5765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
There is an epidemic traffic jam right after the bellandur flyover everyday because of the speedbreaker in front of Shell bunk. I was hoping this will be removed one day, but after seeing the Iblur hump, I lost all hope. The speedbreakers are supposed to help the pedestrians cross the road, but does it help? Hell no!
The speed hump in front of the Shell bunk / Bakasur was created ages back, because there used to be an opening in the median. But even since the median has been closed, the authorities have forgot to remove the speed hump.

There is an IT Park there, so to facilitate pedestrian crossing its' still there, I guess. But like you said, I wonder if it at all helps.
Old 26th March 2014, 12:12   #5766
Senior - BHPian

Even the new speed hump is to facilitate pedestrian movement since there is a bus stop just at the point

They do help people to cross though. But then all along the ORR, given the width of the road and traffic and no other alternative for pedestrians, this is the only option. For all the vehicles, unnecessary waste of fuel :( The builders at prestige tech park just after underpass near Kadubeesanahalli even got a traffic light signal. You got to be influential !
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 12:56   #5767
Team-BHP Support

That speed bump at the end of Sarjapur-Agara flyover is going to collect a few bikers & cabbies before long. An unmarked bump (and it's HUGE) at the end of a curved downhill slope with a bus stop at the bottom end? Who designs and approves these things?

That spot has a bus stop both sides of the divider, and the number of near-misses I see there everyday is mind boggling. Just yesterday, I narrowly missed a mobile-toting, neck hunched on shoulder, Valentino Rossi wannabe who decided to dart across from the left service lane at the last moment.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th March 2014 at 13:00.
Old 26th March 2014, 12:58   #5768
Team-BHP Support

Saw the huge traffic jam when leaving home yesterday and then saw the speed breaker construction just at the base of the flyover coming from Bellandhur.

The speed breaker construction started at 10am morning. Who in their right mind closes down a major road in peak hour traffic to make a speed breaker.

Worse part is you spend crores on building a flyover and say signal free corridor but at the base of a flyover you make a massive speed breaker. What's the point??
Old 26th March 2014, 13:17   #5769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Saw the huge traffic jam when leaving home yesterday and then saw the speed breaker construction just at the base of the flyover coming from Bellandhur.

The speed breaker construction started at 10am morning. Who in their right mind closes down a major road in peak hour traffic to make a speed breaker.

Worse part is you spend crores on building a flyover and say signal free corridor but at the base of a flyover you make a massive speed breaker. What's the point??
that's exactly it - there is no point.

every morning BBMP folks wake up and think - what a wonderful day! how can we screw things up for Bangloreans this fine day! ooooh! let's make a himalayan speed breaker at the base of that flyover which took us years to build - that should piss 'em off.

disclaimer: i'm in no way associated with BBMP
Old 26th March 2014, 13:23   #5770
Team-BHP Support

You know what the worse part. Next to the speed breaker is the service lane. This service lane has 2 massive potholes before and after another speed breaker. I've seen bikers fall because of the second pothole after the hump since it's not visible till you go over the speed breaker.

They put a load of tar for the speed breaker on the outer ring road but never bother to cover the 2 potholes 5metres away from the new speed breaker.
Old 26th March 2014, 13:40   #5771
BHPian

There was a mini traffic jam today afternoon at 12:30 PM extending from base of the HSR BDA flyover till the junction opposite HSR IOC petrol bunk. A big truck carrying tar and a road levelling machine following it were driving on the wrong side.

I really don't understand the logic behind constructing speed breakers during day time and heavy traffic flow, all vehicles drive over it even before it gets to take proper shape, the one they just laid opposite to IOC bunk today has already lost its shape.
Old 26th March 2014, 13:42   #5772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They put a load of tar for the speed breaker on the outer ring road but never bother to cover the 2 potholes 5metres away from the new speed breaker.
My best guess: maintaining the ORR and maintaining that service road (which is a part of Sarjapur road) come under different departments. So the ORR team will not spend its budget on fixing a road that someone else is responsible for.
- Yeah, I am trying to explain with totally illogical ideas, the way our authorities operate.

They should make those massive speed breakers out of concrete, like they have done in front of New Horizon Gurukul school on Panattur-Kannalli road (around Cisco back gate). That should give good business to service centres, which helps the government make even more money through collection service tax and VAT on the spare parts and labour.
Old 26th March 2014, 13:54   #5773
Senior - BHPian

More rants - Why isn't the damn stretch between the base of Sarjapur flyover till Agara flyover base, all along the Army camp, isn't yet asphalted ?
I guess Army guys didn't pay tax. So they are doomed.
Every single day, I get down from the Sarjapur flyover, take the service lane and reach Agara flyover.
One day, I decided to take the main road, and by the time I reached Agara flyover, I lost count of how many nuts and bolts fell off my car.
Old 26th March 2014, 14:19   #5774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More rants - Why isn't the damn stretch between the base of Sarjapur flyover till Agara flyover base, all along the Army camp, isn't yet asphalted ?
I guess Army guys didn't pay tax. So they are doomed.
Every single day, I get down from the Sarjapur flyover, take the service lane and reach Agara flyover.
One day, I decided to take the main road, and by the time I reached Agara flyover, I lost count of how many nuts and bolts fell off my car.
You are correct in your observation. I travel by that route to my office in ITPL everyday by bus. In the return trip, drivers are in a hurry to reach their destination. If the road ahead is clear of vehicles all that they know is to rip. Literally i will be jumping in my seats while sitting.
Old 26th March 2014, 14:56   #5775
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

I really don't understand the logic behind constructing speed breakers during day time and heavy traffic flow, all vehicles drive over it even before it gets to take proper shape, the one they just laid opposite to IOC bunk today has already lost its shape.
They aren't really concerned with proper construction at all. Their only aim is to show the work complete on paper and collect the contract amount. Additional urgency due to upcoming elections.

"See, we're so concerned about our voting public that we're toiling come rain or sunshine to give them safe roads".

Doesn't matter that the same speed-breaker will get someone injured or killed after dark because reflective paint wasn't part of the budget allotment. Once the cheque/vote (whichever is the motivation behind the particular job) is in, who cares what happens to the bump, the road or the public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I have mastered this stretch of the road. I know where the undulations are, and where there are huge potholes (there are two). For me atleast, it's the best stretch for overtaking. While all other vehicles are going slowly not knowing where to put their tyres next, I maintain a steady pace on the middle lane, and am done with this stretch in no time.
Me too. Almost nobody uses this stretch at night after rush hour. While all the honk-crazy, impatient souls make a beeline for the service lane or move gingerly close to the divider, I pass them all because I know exactly where to put my wheels.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th March 2014 at 15:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks