Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 18:35   #4711
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

A prime example is the Bellary Road (BIAL) stretch between Ganganagar/CBI Junction (i.e. shortly after Mekhri Circle) and Hebbal with a speed limit of 50 km/hr!
Many 'speeders's are challaned here thinking it's the usual 60 km/hr. Most daily commuters are well aware and slow down - its usually the unaware out-of-towners and/or weekend drivers who speed up seeing the rare gap and get flagged down.
Are you sure about this? because I have been commuting on this route since past 5 years in my bike and past year or so in my car but has never been stopped. I usually maintain around 55-60 kmph (in car) after crossing the CBI flyover till Hebbal and almost all days, pass by the interceptor stationed near Veterinary college. I was always thinking that the limit is 60 kmph. Really don't understand the logic behind this, because it is a wide enough and well divided road with lesser pedestrian density and no signals, so why lower speed limit here?
Old 1st August 2013, 22:34   #4712
BHPian

Spotted this on NICE Road while coming back from last Bangalore Meet.
This Scorpio loaded with passengers (at least 4) was driving on the Fast Lane in Opposite Direction doing around 60-70 kmph (judging from my speed). He had his headlights on to warn off others but I did not see any effort from him to move on shoulder lane (there is no shoulder lane on this side though). I saw another santro using the shoulder lane to drive in opposite direction but this was like
Other oncoming vehicles had to suffer because of him. Can't say what his emergency might be but the occupants seemed pretty relaxed.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo-1.jpg
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo-2.jpg
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:23   #4713
BHPian

In the heart of Whitefield, Bangalore, (opposite Accenture, and about 200m from the Whitefield "Police" Station) in broad daylight, when traffic is at its peak, this taxi driver has parked his car right in the middle of the busy road, and was having tea at a roadside stall, creating a big traffic jam.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-car.jpg  

Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:04   #4714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
this taxi driver has parked his car right in the middle of the busy road, and was having tea at a roadside stall, creating a big traffic jam.
I think they must include some kind of intelligence test before giving out driving licenses.
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:24   #4715
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
OK, here's Mr.Bruised-Ego ranting. I take the Hoskote - Safal Market - Kadugodi - Whitefield stretch very frequently ( perhaps more than a few hundred times in the last 3 mark , big or small , in the last 6 years - this is a huge dent on my ego as well as on my impression of myself that I'm a 'rule abiding' driver. And not to mention the 1/3 infraction on my DL. Can someone throw the rule book at me/tell me if I erred ? I'm not really complaining here - just want to know if I was really at fault.
The speed limit on all city, suburban and Bangalore Rural roads is 60kmph.
Only the Airport road has a speed limit of 80kmph as does the BETL Elevated Expressway.
This
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:45   #4716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The speed limit on all city, suburban and Bangalore Rural roads is 60kmph.
Only the Airport road has a speed limit of 80kmph as does the BETL Elevated Expressway.
This
Not completely correct. 60Kmph is the speed limit unless otherwise stated. That basically means that speed limit can be below 60kmph also. If it's not mentioned it's 60kmph else whatever is mentioned.

I have seen 40kmph also.
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:59   #4717
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Not completely correct. 60Kmph is the speed limit unless otherwise stated. That basically means that speed limit can be below 60kmph also. If it's not mentioned it's 60kmph else whatever is mentioned.

I have seen 40kmph also.
I agree. Though I have not noticed 40kmph boards recently.
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:09   #4718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is also probably not the full story. When they came out with that circular, I recall the BTP head saying that the circular supersedes existing road signage. So if you have seen a 40 kmph board and it pre-dates the circular, the the circular has precedence.
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:21   #4719
BANNED

Given the evil road and traffic conditions here in Bangalore, coupled with the myriad speed breakers that come in all shapes, sizes and colours at all sorts of places, one can barely trundle about at 20-30kmph. If one tries to do 80 in the designated zone, say the airport road, it is quite possible to reach one's heavenly abode quite quickly, given the abysmal quality of the road surfaces, the lack of lighting, the sudden, unexpected undulations and absolute lack of markings where roadworks are under way.
Might be worth considering buying a little Reva or even a Golf Cart to trundle about in on a day to day basis.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:33   #4720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If one tries to do 80 in the designated zone, say the airport road, it is quite possible to reach one's heavenly abode quite quickly, given the abysmal quality of the road surfaces, the lack of lighting, the sudden, unexpected undulations and absolute lack of markings where roadworks are under way.
Airport Road is gradually improving. Another couple of generations should do it, I think. For example, they have opened up six-laned stretches after Yelahanka (goes underneath the flyover, think Hosur Road under BETL) which is quite good in terms of road surface.
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:56   #4721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
In the heart of Whitefield, Bangalore, (opposite Accenture, and about 200m from the Whitefield "Police" Station) in broad daylight, when traffic is at its peak, this taxi driver has parked his car right in the middle of the busy road, and was having tea at a roadside stall, creating a big traffic jam.
Aha, this infamous spot. Its a disaster spot every day, but this cab is too much !! I guess there were cars / bikes parked ahead of him when he parked. Later they went away and this fellow is left in this weird spot. But nevertheless, he shouldn't have parked so much into the center of the road.

The majority of the problem lies with two things -
1. The tea stalls lined up the boundary wall and
2. The Volvo buses entering the GE campus.
Old 4th August 2013, 10:40   #4722
Senior - BHPian

Anyone familiar with South Bangalore would know how chaotic are the intersections on the Hosur road between Silk Board and E-City. The Bommanahalli signal is probably the winner among them. I see two-wheelers entering the main road from the Service road on the LHS (while coming from Silk Board), riding on the wrong side until the signal, and then going over to the service road on the other side, or continue towards Silk Board. However, this Omni guy was doing it in full view of the cops manning the signal!

Old 5th August 2013, 11:14   #4723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I see two-wheelers entering the main road from the Service road on the LHS (while coming from Silk Board), riding on the wrong side until the signal, and then going over to the service road on the other side, or continue towards Silk Board.
Around 2 years back on one of my early morning (around 4AM) Chennai drive I thought of avoiding BETL and take the 'down to earth' approach since there wont be much traffic at that time. To my horror encountered many trucks plying on wrong side as the Omni in your post and add to that unmarked dividers and 'stop and proceed' barricades. By the time you reach electronic city you are like . From then every time I take BETL.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 11:49   #4724
Team-BHP Support

Rant on BTM ORR traffic :

Took me a record 55 minutes today for the 3 km stretch from Jayadeva flyover to Silk board. Just out of curiority, I measured the time between the junctions using my stopwatch (yeah I was jobless inside the car).

Jayadeva flyover (sluggish flow from the top itself) to A2B signal - 18 minutes.
A2B signal to Bharti AXA junction - 26 minutes.
Bharti AXA junction to Silk board - 11 minutes.

This is getting ridiculous. Any idea if the road in front of St. Johns signal has been patched up?? Also, how is the road from Domlur HAL airport to Marathahalli?? Has that drainage expansion thing been completed now?? I might quit ORR altogether again.

Last edited by KarthikK : 6th August 2013 at 11:50.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 11:55   #4725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Any idea if the road in front of St. Johns signal has been patched up??
If you could wait a few hours, I'll let you know, I'm heading to college now on Hosur Road, so I'll check it out.
AbelAFC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks