Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2023, 18:45   #3646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Thank you for the history. Was he the namesake for the zero point bridge?
Correct. Also a road near the high court is named after him.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 11:47   #3647
BHPian

Is car parking available in Tambaram railway station? I did a google search and I could see from internet results that parking is available on both the east side and west side of the station however I could not find the exact location from the internet.

Appreciate if anyone could help to provide reference to google map location for car parking in Tambaram railway station. I will need to go there to pick up my family around 08ish tomorrow morning (1st Jan 2024)
Old 31st December 2023, 21:56   #3648
Distinguished - BHPian

Hole adjacent to Sai Baba Temple, Mylapore.

Yesterday, I just got past the digger (I'm surprised the whole road wasn't shut) and it seems like a huge hole. I'll avoid that area until it is filled and flat again.

Feedback on this from locals would be appreciated!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:08   #3649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Yesterday, I just got past the digger (I'm surprised the whole road wasn't shut) and it seems like a huge hole. I'll avoid that area until it is filled and flat again.

Feedback on this from locals would be appreciated!
It has been happening everywhere now. Just last week, there was a hole near the Adyar Bridge near the flower shop. They quickly put a steel sheet on it and patched it up.

Like the tectonic plates, the ground slowly shifts over a period of time due to various causes - water ingress, under ground tunneling activity, settling of sedimentation - amongst others.
So far Madras has not claimed any lives due to such caving in.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 00:21   #3650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's filled in.

I passed by that way a couple of days ago, and the hole is gone. There is some obstruction from piles of soil.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 14:13   #3651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Is car parking available in Tambaram railway station? I did a google search and I could see from internet results that parking is available on both the east side and west side of the station however I could not find the exact location from the internet.

Appreciate if anyone could help to provide reference to google map location for car parking in Tambaram railway station. I will need to go there to pick up my family around 08ish tomorrow morning (1st Jan 2024)
I'm late here, but hope you found the parking in Tambaram. For the unknowns, on the eastern side, you have to take the first right immediately after the welcome arch and travel some 150 meters and you will find the parking lot in the right-hand side, Shaded with huge trees not covered though. Western parking is a bit packed and open towards the GST traffic,

Last edited by saisree : 5th January 2024 at 14:16.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 11:25   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I'm late here, but hope you found the parking in Tambaram. For the unknowns, on the eastern side, you have to take the first right immediately after the welcome arch and travel some 150 meters and you will find the parking lot in the right-hand side, Shaded with huge trees not covered though. Western parking is a bit packed and open towards the GST traffic,
Yes, I did on the Western side and as you rightly pointed out the car park on the Western side is a bit packed! I don't think it can accommodate more than 10-15 cars and one kind gentleman, with a smile on his face, helped me to a vacant spot .
Old 21st February 2024, 14:48   #3653
Senior - BHPian

I need to visit Thiruvanmiyur from Chromepet this evening via the OMR. I will cross OMR by 5.15 pm - 5.30 pm and will leave from Thiruvanmiyur by same route around 8.30 pm.

Can someone please update likely traffic conditions in OMR, with the metro rail work going on? If conditions will be very severe I will rather take a cab than drive. I have not taken the route for more than a year.

Edit : Are they toll plazas active now?

Last edited by Gansan : 21st February 2024 at 14:51.
Old 21st February 2024, 15:46   #3654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I need to visit Thiruvanmiyur from Chromepet this evening via the OMR. I will cross OMR by 5.15 pm - 5.30 pm and will leave from Thiruvanmiyur by same route around 8.30 pm.
Traffic on OMR is pathetic nowadays, but you can avoid it by taking left from Kamakshi Hospital while you are coming from Chromepet, and approach OMR via Velachery. In that way, you will only face OMR traffic from Holiday Inn hotel to Tidel park signal, which is manageable.

While returning, take the same route in the other direction. Avoid OMR as much as possible.

Also, toll plazas on OMR are not functional now.

Last edited by DocwithFiesta : 21st February 2024 at 15:53.
DocwithFiesta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 15:58   #3655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Can someone please update likely traffic conditions in OMR, with the metro rail work going on? If conditions will be very severe I will rather take a cab than drive. I have not taken the route for more than a year.

No, the toll plazas are not operational at the moment. During the 5:30 period, there shouldn't be heavy traffic, but there might be some due to ongoing metro work. However, it's not expected to be excessively congested.

You can easily pass BSR Mall. After passing the mall, stay on the left side, as vehicles often wait for a U-turn on the right, causing some minor traffic. Besides that, there shouldn't be many issues. The route you are taking is not anticipated to have heavy traffic. You can use your own vehicle without much concern.

You also have the option of taking the Velachery route from Kamakshi. However, I've noticed that sometimes I feel more stuck there than on OMR. Although OMR experiences traffic, the flow is generally consistent, and you won't find yourself halted in the same spot for an extended period after making it as one way in BSR ( Thoraipakkam ) signal.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks