Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 19:31   #2176
Senior - BHPian

No need to curse Chennai alone, every city is contributing to this & Chennai is still catching up with them. Ride or drive between Palakkad Thrissur, you can certainly get a chance to knock the doors of hell!!
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:52   #2177
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

**Rant Alert**

Had my first experience with the extremely rude and uncouth traffic cops in this city yesterday.
I was driving through Velachery main road towards Velachery, at about 8 30 at night. There was good amount of traffic as I was reaching the intersection with five furlong road; all of a sudden the traffic sub inspector decides to walk right across the road through this mess. I managed stop my car just in time, inches from this guy (speed was <10kph anyway).

All of a sudden, all hell broke loose. The gentleman claimed that I tried to ram him, started shouting the filthiest abuses, banging on my car, almost breaking the door and side glasses and to top it off, attempted to manhandle me when I tried to reason with him. The abusive language reeked of extreme regionalism, as he figured out I was not a local. All this drama while blocking the entire traffic, and with my wife at my side. Thankfully better sense prevailed with one of the traffic constables, who somehow got me out of this mess and let me leave.

As it was a little dark I could not note the name of this excuse of a man, which was a mistake as none of the police stations I went to were accepting a complaint without the accused's name. In hindsight, even that would have been pointless because in the absence of much evidence it would me my word against his.

Sorry for the long rant; as I remember seeing this on this forum before, have to acknowledge that this is the price we have to pay for living, working and paying taxes in this country and move on with my life.
Old 23rd May 2014, 14:19   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
started shouting the filthiest abuses, banging on my car, almost breaking the door and side glasses and to top it off, attempted to manhandle me when I tried to reason with him. The abusive language reeked of extreme regionalism, as he figured out I was not a local.
Very bad experience indeed. Not sure if their work pressure is playing a role but I have seen other men of his job acting strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
As it was a little dark I could not note the name of this excuse of a man, which was a mistake as none of the police stations I went to were accepting a complaint without the accused's name.
In my opinion they are just trying to push you off. You can very well complain about unknown person. Can't they find who was posted on that particular junction at particular date and time? You also needn't be worried about getting witness. Again, its their job.
If you are serious about complaining, you can approach higher authorities.
iamswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 16:27   #2179
Distinguished - BHPian

Do we have a facebook page for Chennai traffic police like we have for Bangy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
...In my opinion they are just trying to push you off. You can very well complain about unknown person. Can't they find who was posted on that particular junction at particular date and time? You also needn't be worried about getting witness. Again, its their job.
If you are serious about complaining, you can approach higher authorities.
+1. And there was a lady also, if it hooks up the right way, things can go pretty bad for the cop I believe.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd May 2014 at 16:29.
Old 26th May 2014, 00:45   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
Also found a KPN bus driving very rashly at high speeds (A Volvo, multi axle). on the Chennai - Trichy Highway.
No need to be shocked. You should be shocked if you see a KPN bus driving very sanely and call their office to let them know that you found a driver of different flock. They will ensure adequate action is taken against the driver
Old 26th May 2014, 11:14   #2181
BHPian

Don't know what the Chennai Corporation has set in its agenda for the City. Take a look at Besant nagar roads. Earlier Government removed obstructions on the pavement and reduced the pavement width for broader road size. The current scenario is they have widened the pavement to 9 feet and more in some places on both sides - effectively narrowing the road width.

You can't park your car anywhere as the whole main road of Besant nagar has been marked as No parking area. People are forced to park in the side streets blocking residents.

The much wider pavement which is poorly laid with sudden undulations and deep holes - is only used by drunks and gypsies to sell their wares.

What is the grand idea behind this ? Hope this is not replicated across the entire Chennai.

The photo is taken from a mobile opposite to RBI quarters.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-besantnagarpavement.jpg  

Old 26th May 2014, 19:39   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Why do chennai people break rules when they have their kids around?
Jumping signals, driving on the wrong side of the median to get ahead, incessant honking, overloading, riding sideways rather than straight, etc. I have also committed some of these offences. But never with kids around.
I mean you have your son on the petrol tank and jump a signal, isn't it like smoking or boozing in front of him. Is this the value you teach them?
I can live with college kids, youngsters playing hooligan breaking rules for the thrill. But middle aged fathers and mothers and elderly grandfathers?
Our children are constantly watching us and learning from us, we should be better models.
Old 27th May 2014, 00:24   #2183
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are talking about bikers ("on the petrol tank") then the first lesson is not to have children as bike passengers. This is the first thing that children learn is "all right," and the first thing they will go on doing.
Old 27th May 2014, 11:24   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The photo is taken from a mobile opposite to RBI quarters.
The photo taken by Prowler sums up our mentality perfectly. Regardless of how wide the footpath is,we will still walk on the road walking in same side as the road traffic flow.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 12:52   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530
I can live with college kids, youngsters playing hooligan breaking rules for the thrill. But middle aged fathers and mothers and elderly grandfathers?
Because today's college-kids are tomorrow's fathers/mothers and later grandparents and thus mostly carry forward in life what they have been doing when young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind
The photo taken by Prowler sums up our mentality perfectly. Regardless of how wide the footpath is,we will still walk on the road walking in same side as the road traffic flow.
And to top it, oblivious to the world/traffic with a mobile glued to the ear. The guy in the snap is not very clear, but indeed looks like he has a mobile held to the ear with his left hand.
Old 28th May 2014, 20:40   #2186
Senior - BHPian

@supremeBaleno: I hope today's college kids GROW up to be tomorrow's fathers and Mothers. They will do crazy stuff. But shouldn't they mature?
Old 29th May 2014, 02:37   #2187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
This afternoon, OMR, Northbound from Tidel Park, a funeral procession, coming south on the north-bound carriage way, in the face of the traffic.

The service road, empty and safe, was just a couple of metres to their right.

Old 29th May 2014, 07:17   #2188
BHPian

Although we all curse the auto-drivers and cab drivers in Chennai (for that matter all cities), what will you say about the ID card/laptop toting IT class seemingly Engineers and MBAs from Premier institutions driving crazy, both 2W and 4W. I see numerous examples of these kind everyday.

I have stopped cursing the cab/auto drivers. They are un-educated, but if the IT/India Inc. class people do these antics you cannot really judge them.

People drive like crazy. A car speeding and surging ahead is not a show of your capability, but your cars' capability. Reaching the destination safely is your'.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 15:25   #2189
BHPian

What to say for this. Morons driving and blocking the road near IRT, Taramani - Velachery road. Did not look like an accident but all passengers were vacated and no trace of the TATA Ace driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_0383.jpg  

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-img_0387.jpg  

Old 29th May 2014, 16:19   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530
@supremeBaleno: I hope today's college kids GROW up to be tomorrow's fathers and Mothers. They will do crazy stuff. But shouldn't they mature?
Sure, most of them will. Most of us have done crazy stuff when young (I know that I have), but do change with either age or reading/travelling that widens knowledge.

There was an article in yesterday's paper IIRC, where it was mentioned that with CCTP getting tough on drunken driving, folks in Chennai are switching from alcohol to drugs. Apparently the cops don't have any equipment to detect drugs and thus can't do anything about it.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 29th May 2014 at 16:43.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks