Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 14:33   #2206
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I can understand people returning home on the train or bus, but how about to office. Don't your clothes get sweaty, crumpled and dirty?
I can only speak for myself. For a while I used to live in Malad, working for an IT services company at a client location in Mittal Chambers. I used to commute by local train in a t-shirt and switch to a regular, well-ironed shirt at the client location. :-)
Old 9th June 2014, 16:34   #2207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I can only speak for myself. For a while I used to live in Malad, working for an IT services company at a client location in Mittal Chambers. I used to commute by local train in a t-shirt and switch to a regular, well-ironed shirt at the client location. :-)
A lot of my regular joe friends in Bombay do this, esp. in rainy season. Commute in street-wear, change into office-wear at work, then change again for the return commute EOD. I've only ever been to Bombay for short personal trips, but I can't imagine how anyone can keep their formal-wear spotless on a local train.
Old 9th June 2014, 18:24   #2208
BHPian

Did anyone notice a smashed up Swift in front of the Indira Nagar station today Morning? Could have noticed if you had traveled in the Rajiv Gandhi Salai from Madhya Kailash towards Tidel Park. Presume the swift was a total loss.
Could not take photos since was driving alone....
Old 9th June 2014, 18:26   #2209
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure IT companies have a lounge for employees where they can shower/ change. I have friends in Bangalore who cycle to work. But how about other professionals. Most hospitals I've worked in have a single duty room with 1 bed and a loo. No provision for shower and change. Plus walking in the corridors to reach the duty room in T-shirts is a no-no. Smaller hospitals have no facilities. Nurses do have a changing room but there would be a riot if I tried to use that. And as far as I know, Law chambers also do not have a lounge.
The IT field is probably the only one where employee comforts are given any importance.
Old 9th June 2014, 18:33   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
The IT field is probably the only one where employee comforts are given any importance.
My client, referred to in my original post, was a financial services firm. The had a multipurpose room with gender separation off the front desk.

Edit: And this was back in '98 or '99.
Old 11th June 2014, 12:14   #2211
BHPian

I now have a doubt!! What is the difference between the Metro, MRTS and suburban trains (also known as electric trains long back)? Is it that its just a different corporations / divisions ?

When I was in London, I have only seen the following trains :
1. National Rail - the equivalent of Indian Railways, with private operators
2. The London Underground / Tube - mainly for commuting within the city and suburbs
3. DLR - Connectivity to the docklands, and probably an attempt to have a driver-less train.

And all of the above being overseen by the TFL, which also brings the buses and trams under it. Thus a Travel Card / Oyster card could be used in any of the above means, not sure if this has changed recently. Of course you do have specific tickets that can be used on the specific systems
Old 11th June 2014, 12:41   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I now have a doubt!! What is the difference between the Metro, MRTS and suburban trains (also known as electric trains long back)? Is it that its just a different corporations / divisions ?
Both MRTS and Chennai Suburban train system are owned and operated by Indian Railways (Southern Railways). While Suburban connects the city with suburban areas, MRTS is within the city limits between Chennai Beach station and Velachery. MRTS is the first elevated line in India but has poor patronage. MRTS may ultimately be transferred to Chennai Metro when Metro is completed.

Metro envisages two corridors of line connecting North Chennai with Airport and Chennai Central Railway Station with St. Thomas Mount via Koyambedu. Close to 45 km of railway line for both lines with more than 50% running underground. Metro is done with a view to connect all transport hubs like CMBT, airport, MRTS, and Suburban trains. Metro is actually 50:50 JV between the State and the Central Governments.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 21:16   #2213
BHPian

Anyone here using the Chennai Bypass Road??

The road is in bad shape, no potholes as such, but it's pretty uneven and gives a bumpy ride.

Plus they increased the tolls by 5 INR from this month.

I think it has not been re-laid for quite sometime. Any idea about what can be done, Guys?
Old 13th June 2014, 22:15   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I now have a doubt!! What is the difference between the Metro, MRTS and suburban trains (also known as electric trains long back)?
MRTS is the same a Electric train. Metro = hyped up Electric train! That's all!
Old 14th June 2014, 09:39   #2215
Senior - BHPian

^^^MRTS is yes more or less same as an Electric train. Just that the former runs on elevated tracks here.

But to say that the Metro is just a hyped-up electric train is to put it very simplistically. It is as similar to electric trains as cheese is to chalk. It is a totally different experience in itself.
I first experienced this at Calcutta 2+ decades ago and it was amazing how contrasting the metro-stations were compared to the general city in terms of cleanliness and order.
Have not been in the Delhi metro, but am sure it would also be at the same level. Japan, ofcourse has the mother of metros, with various lines, another eco-system underground etc etc.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th June 2014 at 09:41.
Old 14th June 2014, 10:14   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Folks, sorry for the bulk quote. needed a guidance. Stupid question but there's no other thread for chennai - I need to get my swift front bumper's bottom stitched up as mentioned here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3125925

basically stitched up and joined with epoxy(?).

Please advise. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
MRTS is the same a Electric train. Metro = hyped up Electric train! That's all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Anyone here using the Chennai Bypass Road??

The road is in bad shape, no potholes as such, but it's pretty uneven and gives a bumpy ride.

Plus they increased the tolls by 5 INR from this month.

I think it has not been re-laid for quite sometime. Any idea about what can be done, Guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Both MRTS and Chennai Suburban train system are owned and operated by Indian Railways (Southern Railways). While Suburban connects the city with suburban areas, MRTS is within the city limits between Chennai Beach station and Velachery. MRTS is the first elevated line in India but has poor patronage.
Its decent enough actually as per my wife who uses it daily. Its not obscenely overloaded like Mumbai - which is pointless. By that logic sir, countries like Malaysia or Spain etc will never have enough patronage of their metro systems!

Quote:

When I was in London, I have only seen the following trains :
1. National Rail - the equivalent of Indian Railways, with private operators
2. The London Underground / Tube - mainly for commuting within the city and suburbs
3. DLR - Connectivity to the docklands, and probably an attempt to have a driver-less train.

And all of the above being overseen by the TFL, which also brings the buses and trams under it. Thus a Travel Card / Oyster card could be used in any of the above means, not sure if this has changed recently. Of course you do have specific tickets that can be used on the specific systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Did anyone notice a smashed up Swift in front of the Indira Nagar station today Morning? Could have noticed if you had traveled in the Rajiv Gandhi Salai from Madhya Kailash towards Tidel Park. Presume the swift was a total loss.
Could not take photos since was driving alone....
Yep - I saw that. It was basically going the wrong way and hit a loading auto pretty badly head on. I would reckon a total loss.
Old 14th June 2014, 13:49   #2217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks, sorry for the bulk quote. needed a guidance. Stupid question but there's no other thread for chennai - I need to get my swift front bumper's bottom stitched up as mentioned here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3125925

basically stitched up and joined with epoxy(?).

Please advise. Thanks.
Why do you want to stitch it up? Will not look good. I suggest you go for a full dent removal and re-painting. Will cost roughly 3K per panel.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 22:18   #2218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Why do you want to stitch it up? Will not look good. I suggest you go for a full dent removal and re-painting. Will cost roughly 3K per panel.
This is perfectly fine. Its a six year old car that hasn't been disposed of yet - while we figure out our long term plans. The cut has been there for many years now. This is the very bottom / center of the front bumper which is barely visible, only if you look for it. There's nothing to dent - either the bumper is stitched (as it has been for ~2+ years) or its patched up with epoxy or what have you.

Speaking of which, what would you recommend for spots that are losing their paint - the footboard on the driver side / the door handlebar of the driver etc. I don't want to embark on a full painting exercise - I'd rather spend that money somewhere else for now (like the home).
Old 15th June 2014, 11:38   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is perfectly fine. Its a six year old car that hasn't been disposed of yet - while we figure out our long term plans. The cut has been there for many years now. This is the very bottom / center of the front bumper which is barely visible, only if you look for it. There's nothing to dent - either the bumper is stitched (as it has been for ~2+ years) or its patched up with epoxy or what have you.

Speaking of which, what would you recommend for spots that are losing their paint - the footboard on the driver side / the door handlebar of the driver etc. I don't want to embark on a full painting exercise - I'd rather spend that money somewhere else for now (like the home).
Okay. I have not really come across any place in Chennai which can do a stitch work. Even if they do not sure how effective it would be. I would suggest that if it's causing a problem then leave it as is. I know couple of good shops for tinkering/painting but don't know a shop for stitching. Even on the paint I would suggest that it's left as is. Patch work will not look good IMHO.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 09:27   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a commendable job indeed!!

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-123.png

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/I...w/36676797.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks