Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 05:06   #2896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Precisely my problem. I have to reach IITM Research Park and the Film City Road is useless for this reason. It was like threading a needle with a bike, let's not bother about anything bigger.
The Corporation officials have removed all the petty shops now and the place is completely empty. The drive on this Road has become a breeze now!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 13:48   #2897
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I have a question.
Has anyone observed a construction-in-progress right in front of the Thiruvanmiyur station, opposite Tidel Park? There is something like a ramp being constructed on the service lane with pillars and stuff. Cant figure what it is?! Anyone has any idea what this is supposed to be?
Kaumad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 14:56   #2898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
I have a question.
Has anyone observed a construction-in-progress right in front of the Thiruvanmiyur station, opposite Tidel Park? There is something like a ramp being constructed on the service lane with pillars and stuff. Cant figure what it is?! Anyone has any idea what this is supposed to be?
I thought it was a shade for pedestrians. The structure & alignment does not seem to be strong enough to support vehicular traffic. But then, one never knows!
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 06:48   #2899
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question.
This is walkway for pedestrians from Ramanujam park to the Railway Station.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 10:16   #2900
BHPian

In view of CMRL work in the stretch of EVR Salai between Gengu Reddy Sub Way junction and Ega junction one way implementation was made in the following roads.

1.EVR Salai.
2.Mayor Ramanathan Road (East).
3.Mayor Ramanathan Road.
4.Dr.Gurusamy Road.
5.Gengu Reddy Sub Way.

As the CMRL work is nearing completion, it is proposed to implement two way traffic systems in EVR Salai with effect from 06.08.2017. Two way traffic is allowed from Gengu reddy subway to Ega in EVR Salai, Mayor Rmanathan Road, Gengu reddy subway and Gurusamy bridge with following modification:

1. Entry of vehicles from Gengu Reddy Sub Way Junction towards Ega is allowed. Vehicles coming from Gengu Reddy Sub Way towards Dasaprakash is allowed between 16.00 hours to 07.00 hours. In the remaining hours i.e 07.30 hrs to 16.00 hrs, right turn is not allowed towards Dasaprakash. Those vehicles have to take Right in Spurtank Road x P.T School junction itself and reach their destination via Egmore High Road, Udippi Point and Nair Bridge. Vehicles reaching Gengu Reddy Sub Way x EVR Salai junction have to take U turn at Burnaby Junction to reach their destination.

2. At Flowers Road junctions Vehicles cannot take right turn to reach Ega Junction. Those vehicles have to take U Turn at Gengu Reddy Sub way junction to reach Ega.

3. Vehicle coming from Gengu Reddy Sub Way junction intended to reach Vasu Street cannot take right turn at Ega junction. Those vehicles should reach Tailors Road and take U turn to reach their destination.

4. Right turn is not allowed for the vehicles coming from Tailors Road towards Aminjikarai except the School hours between 07.30 hrs to 08.30 hrs and 14.30 hrs to 15.30 hrs. Those vehicles should reach Ega junction, take U turn to reach their destination.

5. In continuation of implementation of two way traffic in Spurtank Road, Vehicles coming from Egmore High Road towards Gengu reddy subway cannot take right turn at P.T School junction. Those vehicles should take ‘U’ turn at Casa major Road & Spurtank Road junction to reach their designation.

6. Vehicles coming from EVR Salai via Gurusamy Bridge reaching Chetpet junction cannot take right turn towards Harrington Road. Those vehicles should take ‘U’ turn at Sterling point to reach Harrington Road.

7. Vehicles coming from Sterling Point intended to reach Spurtank Road cannot take right turn at Chetpet junction. Those vehicles have to use service road via Kusalambal Kalyana Mandapam to reach their destination.

8. Vehicles reaching Chetpet junction via Harington Road can go Straight, take left and right turn to reach their destination.

9. Straight, left and right turn is provided for the vehicles coming from Spurtank Road towards Chetpet signal.

10. Pedestrian crossing is provided in EVR Salai in front of Police Housing Corporation.

Motorists are requested to co-operate.

Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-traffic_update.jpg

Source: CCTP Facebook page (3 August 2017)
gm_arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 10:30   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
This is walkway for pedestrians from Ramanujam park to the Railway Station.
Hmm, that doesn't make any sense.
Whats the point in having a walkway beginning and ending on the same side of the road when the Ramanujam IT Park is on the other side?!
Old 8th August 2017, 12:24   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The proposed movement was how it was in 2010-12 before Ramanujam IT Park became operational, except for the right and left blocked at Ascendas.
This change near Tidel Park has done nothing to ease traffic post Tidel. I would still recommend people wanting to reach say Kotturpuram or Mandaveli to take the right at Tidel, go to Thiruvanmiyur signal and go straight, use side roads and reach adyar bridge.

This change is probably good for those working in Ramanujam IT Park probably or may be i am yet to understand how to make best use of this change to reach IIT in car. That side road near IIT is perfect but not worth venturing in cars.
Old 8th August 2017, 13:51   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, that doesn't make any sense.
Whats the point in having a walkway beginning and ending on the same side of the road when the Ramanujam IT Park is on the other side?!
The walkway is built across the road connecting Railway station and the IT park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This change is probably good for those working in Ramanujam IT Park probably or may be i am yet to understand how to make best use of this change to reach IIT in car. That side road near IIT is perfect but not worth venturing in cars.
Original intention of the change was to enable motorists from SRP tools side towards Mathya Kailash not having to wait at the Tidel signal but instead take the service road on the left and drive through. However, because of indiscipline of motorists waiting at the said signal to take right to Tiruvanmiyur, the purpose is defeated, as usual.
Old 23rd August 2017, 22:10   #2904
BHPian

I am living in south Chennai (East Tambaram) area. With many signals and increasing traffic in Tambaram-Velachery road, i am seeing the problem of people (not) following signal and wrong side driving is creating lots of problems. Even few time when the police personals are around, they are mere spectators (or they are busy collecting money from the lorries these days).

Any idea on how to reach to traffic policy authorities and is there a chance they will take any action? I have added the below tweet, and plan to do them regularly. I will include reach pictures from my Car DVR also.
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-capture.jpg  

Old 24th August 2017, 08:40   #2905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Any idea on how to reach to traffic policy authorities and is there a chance they will take any action? I have added the below tweet, and plan to do them regularly. I will include reach pictures from my Car DVR also.
The Chennai City Traffic Police have a Facebook page that very active. You could try posting there. I had a ridiculous speed hump removed near my home and replaced with a sensible one through their Facebook page.
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 13:04   #2906
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems that the High Court has "clarified" that its no highway bars ruling is for intercity highways, not metropolitan areas.

If this means, for instance, having to literally drive through bars at locations like ECR Kottivakkam again, then this is a seriously retrograde step.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:06   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It seems that the High Court has "clarified" that its no highway bars ruling is for intercity highways, not metropolitan areas.

If this means, for instance, having to literally drive through bars at locations like ECR Kottivakkam again, then this is a seriously retrograde step.
My guess is that this will be followed by yet another expansion of the Chennai city limits, the last one was done in 2009. Revenue protection is going to be a powerful motivator, beyond everything else.
Old 24th August 2017, 14:37   #2908
Distinguished - BHPian

The one I mention is within city limits already. It must have been 2009, as you mention, when my area, the next "village" was made part of the city.

That one is foremost in my mind, due to it being on most of my journeys. With or without the TASMAC, I can never think of this urban stretch of ECR as being two-lane: there always people, things, vehicles, etc on the left side of the road. But when that combination is of two-wheelers arriving and departing, and guys drinking on the road itself, this is beyond absurd. Yes, I am personally somewhat anti-alcohol, but I don't deny the right of others. But I wish the courts had thought a little more about keeping drinking off the roads. For the safety of all concerned.
Old 28th August 2017, 13:52   #2909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am living in south Chennai (East Tambaram) area. With many signals and increasing traffic in Tambaram-Velachery road, i am seeing the problem of people (not) following signal and wrong side driving is creating lots of problems. Even few time when the police personals are around, they are mere spectators (or they are busy collecting money from the lorries these days).
I guess you are talking about the signals at Camp road, Mahalakshmi nagar junction, Rajakilpakkam and Kamarajapuram.

Those signals dont work half the time and if it does none of the people obey it. Importantly we get harassed by vehicle behind us for stopping at red light.

Cops will just stand aside busy with their mobile phone or doing their usual collections.
gm_arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 20:38   #2910
Senior - BHPian

Hope everyone has their original driving licenses ready - I dont
I am still waiting for a reissued one I applied for after I lost mine some time back

It seems centre and state govts are trying to compete to make ordinary folks miserable. First aadhar, now this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks