Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2023, 21:38   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
It was the tanker guy who came the wrong way on the expressway to avoid going further to take a turn. Another fatal case of wrong side driving.
Tanker guy was at fault here, surprisingly it was rolls which completely burned down. Occupants were injured, they were followed by a Silver Benteyega.
agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 23:19   #2177
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Here's a picture I received on WA.
Damn, this is horrifying. Wonder how it caught fire, was it because of the tanker carrying some fuel or the Rolls caught fire on its own?

By the look of the alloys, it seems like it was a Phantom not a Ghost.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2023 at 17:29. Reason: Capital letters
Old 24th August 2023, 01:34   #2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Damn, this is horrifying. Wonder how it caught fire, was it because of the tanker carrying some fuel or the Rolls caught fire on its own?

By the look of the alloys, it seems like it was a phantom not a ghost.
Indeed it was a Phantom 8,belonged to a very well known Garage in Delhi. The car was being followed by a Bentayga and couple of Fortuners. Some more pictures of the crash taken from Youtube.

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-phantom8.png

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-phantom81.png
Maynk760 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 22:30   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the RR driver was at fault here!
Attached Thumbnails
Supercar & Import Crashes in India-anand123teambhp.jpg  

Anand123 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 10:29   #2180
BHPian

What a horrifying crash. It pains me that people are so callous with their lives, if the tanker driver was on the wrong side or if the RR driver was speeding so fast that he could not avert in time. Need for Speed is becoming a killer on our roads where anything happens from animals running across and people driving badly, people need to drive slowly. Our roads are not made for speed.
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 10:37   #2181
Senior - BHPian

Just to clear the air here and for those who read the initial rumours about the tanker driving on the road side. The tanker WAS NOT on the wrong side as shown in the CCTV footage. As per TOI, the car travelling above 200kmph which the cops could estimate based on the time it took for the car to cover a 40km stretch (it took 12 minutes apparently). The RR crashed into the tanker.

Today's TOI reports that the security pulled out the RR occupants and took them away while the two tanker guys laid there without help till the ambulance arrived.

Source: Times of India

What a sad state of affairs.

Last edited by Pancham : 26th August 2023 at 10:39.
Pancham is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 11:13   #2182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
The tanker WAS NOT on the wrong side as shown in the CCTV footage. The RR crashed into the tanker.
Very true! Only thing puzzling me is was the tanker travelling straight on section or was it trying to do a U-turn? If the latter, then that is criminal negligence for NHAI to even allow the same on such a hyper-fast section.

In the pictures you can see that there was indeed a wide gap in the median there + the impact on the tanker seems to have been neither directly in front or back but more in the middle, i.e. the RR T-boned the tanker probably exactly in the middle.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 11:48   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Today's TOI reports that the security pulled out the RR occupants and took them away while the two tanker guys laid there without help till the ambulance arrived.

Source: Times of India

What a sad state of affairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Seems like the RR driver was at fault here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very true! Only thing puzzling me is was the tanker travelling straight on section or was it trying to do a U-turn? If the latter, then that is criminal negligence for NHAI to even allow the same on such a hyper-fast section.

Initial media reports are usually highly in-accurate and are based on emotion or motivation as opposed to any data. There are obvious doubts about the news available so far:

1) How was the Tanker taking a U-turn if it was on wrong side? It would again be in wrong side isn't it? So Tanker was crossing the road and it is not confirmed if it was on wrong side or not. If the Tanker was crossing the road to change side as per the available spot/crossing, then obviously the road design needs to be reviewed.

2) RR Speeding with a convoy is possible but 200 KMPH? Were all the cars in the Convoy also speeding so fast? In that case, it was a bigger issue/fault of the RR owners and the convoy. I see cars like Tata Harrier or Safari in the convoy. Those cars are not recommended to be running so fast I guess.

3) Sometimes the timestamp that we see at in CCTV footage is incorrect because those guys don't bother to correct it.

4) Car occupants taken out and moved to hospital but the car caught fire and was totally burnt? How come there were no injuries due to fire? No one got burns? Is it possible that car was set on fire a few moments later? I mean the tanker had diesel in it and so it would have been a much larger disaster if the fire was immediate and the diesel got spread.

Last edited by sunilch : 26th August 2023 at 11:49.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 12:08   #2184
BHPian

Here is the Youtube video. One can clearly see the truck driver cutting off lanes without looking behind for making a U-turn. However, its also evident that the car was at a very high speed or else they would have anticipated the truck driver making a turn and braked in time.

tp_dominator is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 12:11   #2185
BHPian

I hope the kin of the 2 victims get good monetary reward.

I don't expect anything to happen to those in the Rolls Royce convoy from the investigation, so atleast they should compensate the victim families to push under carpet.

Call me a cynic but at least the ones left behind can have better lives.
Sidban85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 12:38   #2186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Here is the Youtube video. One can clearly see the truck driver cutting off lanes without looking behind for making a U-turn. However, its also evident that the car was at a very high speed or else they would have anticipated the truck driver making a turn and braked in time.
Thanks for this link. May not be a pleasant thought and I am not condoning the actions of the RR and the convoy following it, but the tanker driver was also at fault here for crossing (or U-turning?) like that. If you see the video closely, he had nearly made it across when the RR hit it in the fast lane. Do keep in mind the speed limit is anyway 120 km/hr on the NE4/DME.

Why there should be such a crossing is beyond me! In the West, such crossings are generally avoided, and even if present are strictly for emergency services who have the authority & ability to move the unlockable barricades at that spot.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 13:51   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Why there should be such a crossing is beyond me! In the West, such crossings are generally avoided, and even if present are strictly for emergency services who have the authority & ability to move the unlockable barricades at that spot.
Actually, this is expected behavior from truck drivers sadly. I have seen many such instances where they suddenly make turns without a care in the world. I myself had a heart-in-the-mouth moment just day before yesterday on the Satara-Pune stretch when a Volvo truck driver swerved suddenly to the middle lane from the fast lane while I was on the middle lane without caring if a vehicle was there in the lane or not.

In this particular incident, if I can offer a comparison, these crossings are strictly for emergency vehicles only, similar to what we have here on the Samruddhi expressway where there is a locked barrier(most locks are now broken though!) but, here there is no barrier. If you look at the below video (mute the audio, this guy is unbearable) it has a cemented barricade but otherwise no barrier to entry. So, I assume these crossings are a normal affair to them. Even if one is travelling within speed limits, such sudden turns can only lead to fatal consequences.

I am not trying to shift the blame here or for that matter blaming anybody, but just offering my perspective looking at the videos of the accident and the spot. If you ask me, the Rolls was at a very high speed which itself is unsafe due to the environment and increased reaction times, coupled with the trucker making a sudden turn, was just a disaster waiting to happen.
tp_dominator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:08   #2188
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
RR Speeding with a convoy is possible but 200 KMPH? Were all the cars in the Convoy also speeding so fast?
As per reports, the Phantom broke away from the convoy & sped away!

Quote:
Car occupants taken out and moved to hospital but the car caught fire and was totally burnt? How come there were no injuries due to fire?
As per reports, apparently the owner is in some Gurugram Hospital being treated for injuries.

Supercar & Import Crashes in India-f4lqr5kbkaalkvy.jpg

A part of his collection can be seen in the youtube video below.

PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:27   #2189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
As per reports, the Phantom broke away from the convoy & sped away!

As per reports, apparently the owner is in some Gurugram Hospital being treated for injuries.

Attachment 2495541

A part of his collection can be seen in the Youtube video below.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=lRIgww_fuAE

A slightly different tangent - but what pisses me off is that these billionaires feel entitled to put beacons on their vehicles (notice the Fortuner in the pic and the flashing light on the dashboard on the Bentley).

I've seen many such people, unfortunately. One was a client at the firm I used to work at. The guy had two police officers posted with him officially. He had about 10-12 private security personnel in similar safari suits, to give the impression that all of them are from Delhi Police. Just put them in two SUVs, arms out the window and telling other vehicles to get out of the way for sahab.

This sense of entitlement plays a huge role in acting the way they do on the roads, and then fleeing the spot without caring about the other injured (now, deceased).

Regardless, flashing lights under the bonnet/over the dashboard is the trashiest thing one could do on a Bentley. Yuck. Everyone knows they're not cops (unless someone magically teleported to Dubai). It's just tasteless.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 26th August 2023 at 14:29.
N.A.GTC is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:30   #2190
BHPian

Owner, Mr Vikas Maloo, head of Kuber Group was in the vehicle at the time of crash.
After seeing some footage, it is clear that the tanker was taking a u-turn.

One thing which puzzles me, is that this is more like a design fault. A u-turn in the middle of a high speed road is a recipe for disaster.

A large vehicle will find it very difficult to make a u turn by staying in the right lane.

Alternatively on such roads, the u turn should either be an under ground pass or near the toll plaza, where one would not encounter insane speeds.

The owner was later taken to Medanata hospital however not sure what kind of help was offered to the truck driver/helper.

Last edited by Old_Salt : 26th August 2023 at 14:36. Reason: Spelling
Old_Salt is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks