Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 08:05   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A Closer Look:

The int'l version gets an override for the fuel-air mixture. This has been removed in the Indian 650R. The override is for extremely cold weather conditions:

Yes, my bike has a cable in that place but I did not have to use it even after digging the bike from under several feet of snow.
Old 9th June 2011, 08:05   #92
BHPian

incredible pricing really! this truly is a new beginning for the indian bike scene. can't wait to see what price they'll settle for ZX6R, which i've heard will also come.
Old 9th June 2011, 09:32   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Detailed review
Now i'm interested in what MODS can be done on the bike

I'm interested in knowing if I can take off the fairing, I'd prefer a naked looking bike
The Ninja 650 comes abroad in a naked street version called the ER6N. IMO the 6N dosnt look half as good as the 6F.

As for the mods, its a Kwacker so expect everything from free-flow filters, aftermarket exhausts to cosmetic enhancements and lower handlebars.
Old 9th June 2011, 09:43   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Other minor things:
a. No immobilizer key with a bike this expensive? (donno about other SBKs - just wondering)

c. Does it specifically use regular petrol? What is the spec?

f. What height person is it good for? Like a TBird is awesome for the taller folks, while an RTR may be more suited for shorter folk.
Would be be great if they had included the immobilizer; would have kept many heart at peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Unfortunately it has a small fuel tank around 15 liters including 2 or 3 liter reserve. Not too terrible but a 20 - 21 liter tank would have been fantastic!
Sad IMHO. Tank looked bigger but one there has to be something to complain about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

15.5 liters. I agree a large tank would have been a very good thing.
Wont premium help? I felt stronger mid range and pickup when I used premium of my Avenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I have zilch idea on the GT, but the Ninja 650R FEELS AT HOME at speeds around 150-160 kmph. To give you an idea, I remember bumping the tacho at 150 kmph in third.
The windscreen was is highly suited to someone this side of 5 feet 8", you can tuck behind it without much discomfort, no need for any serious crouching pratice like you'd need with the more track focussed cousins.
Thought 120 was max of 3rd.

Brilliant review Imran & great pix stratos!

Nice pricing Bajaj
Old 9th June 2011, 09:44   #95
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I had two pertinent questions:

- Would the Ninja 650R's launch at this price affect the resale of existing SBKs in the market? I mean, wouldn't most people prefer buying a brand new, fully-supported legal bike than a used grey market import with a shaky history? Even if the former is a tourer (vis a vis SBKs that we all love )?

- If the Ninja gave us 17 kpl on the highway, city average is what....12? 14? That's equivalent to a Maruti Swift. Would petrol prices be a deal killer for any potential customers? Or does this class of customer not bother about kpl?

Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 09:55   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Would the Ninja 650R's launch at this price affect the resale of existing SBKs in the market? I mean, wouldn't most people prefer buying a brand new, fully-supported legal bike than a used grey market import with a shaky history? Even if the former is a tourer (vis a vis SBKs that we all love )?

- If the Ninja gave us 17 kpl on the highway, city average is what....12? 14? That's equivalent to a Maruti Swift. Would petrol prices be a deal killer for any potential customers? Or does this class of customer not bother about kpl?

Thanks
It should ideally affect the resale part; of even the 250s? I only hope they give more color options to pull more sales.

Most will buy this for the pleasure of biking during weekend I guess. I for example use bike only during summer and hence is ok with the petrol price. Also, IMHO one wont feel the pinch if it had a bigger tank since frequent visits to bunk reminds of the mileage kya hei!
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 10:02   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't say, but others on the forum might have a good idea.

Quote:
I don't think kpl is such a great issue here (given the pleasure quotient) and the fact that this is not likely to be the primary vehicle for anyone except real die-hard bikers.

I, however, seriously think that a 15-litre tank on a 15-17 kpl FE is not a good idea for touring. It effectively means filling up every 200 km. In far-flung areas, one wouldn't want to fill up just anywhere on what could be a sensitive Fuel Injection system.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 10:11   #98
Team-BHP Support

Answering your question as a potential customer, who had almost zeroed on the Ninja 250R and was about to go for one by this year end.

Quote:

Yes. Mature, grown up guys who have had their fill of screaming I-4's or the ones who are more practical in their approach. The Bandit was an equally good Motorcycle, but 650R's pricing completely trumps it helped by SVC's which are present almost all across the country.

Quote:
I for one wouldn't be bothered as long as the Fortuner's and Camry's are a speck, prior to being lost and I can still tour most places w/o scraping the belly. Tank range is a hindrance though. (But nothing to put off buyers)

It was nice to hear you riding, pumping up adrenaline was never this fun, easy and cheap

Last edited by Sheel : 9th June 2011 at 10:23.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 10:14   #99
Senior - BHPian

A car guys perspective

Hi,
Like you, I'm essentially a car guy. And that's why I guess my thinking exactly matches yours.

The purpose of a bike (in our case) is to bring a smile to our faces. Irrespective of categories, bragging rights etc.

For us, a bike is a nonrational purchase. (Both my bikes were impulse buys, less than 15 mins decision time.) So one never knows and can't predict.

Re: running costs: bikes fall in the 'mad money' category. Fuel efficiency not an issue re: costs, but an issue re: range. But 'mad' time I'm not prepared to spend. (I've Jeeps, and a RD - go figure).

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 10:35   #100
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks
- Any factor that causes a drop and hopefully elimination of grey market imports should be a good thing. It's because of a few illegal importers that the whole DRI crackdown and other nuisances that legal import owners are facing as well.

- Generally there will not be a huge difference in city/highway mileage for these bikes, and 17/18 is a good average for most bikes in combined cycle. Typical users will be recreational users for whom mileage should not be a concern. For daily users, it will definitely be an alternative to a car, and since it should be better than average car, should translate to saving, right?

I think fuel costs might fade in comparison with some other costs involved with responsible superbike ownership like expenses on gear, tires, service, and mods.

Cheers,

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 10:44   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Can't say, but others on the forum might have a good idea.

I don't think kpl is such a great issue here (given the pleasure quotient) and the fact that this is not likely to be the primary vehicle for anyone except real die-hard bikers.

I, however, seriously think that a 15-litre tank on a 15-17 kpl FE is not a good idea for touring. It effectively means filling up every 200 km. In far-flung areas, one wouldn't want to fill up just anywhere on what could be a sensitive Fuel Injection system.
I agree on the kpl issue here. Having owned the v-twin comet previously with low FE I've toured most of the barren landscapes of Rajasthan where petrol bunks are far flung. The best part was that the twin took 91 grade fuel and did not need the expensive 97 grade. Any small bunk that we saw we topped up albeit with HP petrol additives. Now the catch with the 650R is that the engine is tuned for 91octane and the Injection system is not as sensitive as you come across on the import liter class bikes. Ask one of my friends who's got the Suzuki GSR650 baby BKing... his dream of touring on that machine just didn't take off.

I myself was to get the 250R but was asked to wait for a while by some acquaintances who work in bajaj since they knew about my touring days. They'd specifically mentioned a touring machine keeping in mind Indian conditions ie. 650R is on the way and boy glad I am it made it.

Last edited by lionell : 9th June 2011 at 10:46.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 11:11   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
170 can be installed on the same rim, but they are expensive since they are not very common. There are mixed perceptions about 180, some say they can be done on the same rim, but it will bulge out and instead of giving you more grip at the corner it will reduce it. The better option is to go for zx6r rear end conversion. But I dont think it is worth it on a 70 bhp bike (the zx6 has almost 45 hp more). The handling is quite good with the 160 tires specially if you use michelin pilot power. The bridgestone battlax is crap.

bridgestone battlax are crap ??

i don't agree to this at all
Old 9th June 2011, 11:33   #103
BHPian

I agree the older generation battlax were pulled up for their performance on the street.
But not the later one's. I've experienced the ride of the Battlax on the comet and its far superior to what we'd heard.

Here's a late 2008 review you can check.

Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 Hypersport - Motorcycle USA
Old 9th June 2011, 12:23   #104
Senior - BHPian

I am probably going to go for this in the next 1-2 months - have made up my mind. Glad have not gone for the Ninja250 or Baby CBR. I just need a bike soon. Anything around 4 Lacs is my budget and now this at under 5 lacs OTR in Agra / Delhi I am going to go for it.

All I need to know is for people who are booking this - what are the finance options available on this as I do not have 4 lacs to pay down payment. I will probably go for a loan.

Also a full kit - Alpine Stars - Helmet, Jacket and others things - what do these cost ?
Old 9th June 2011, 12:38   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Also a full kit - Alpine Stars - Helmet, Jacket and others things - what do these cost ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ar-thread.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...post-78-a.html

Thats so nice to know that prior to hopping on the ER-6f, you are conscious about gears, I am replying you at the dedicated thread/s, links of which are on this post itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freak View Post
Have BOOKED the N650 this morning at 11am as soon as the prices were announced.guess was one of the first to book it across India.
Congratulations

Can't help, but ask you for a back to back comparison (N 250R N650R) in your dedicated thread once you get your bigger Ninja.

Comparison = Riding posture, Ride ability and rest what ever you think is worthy to be discussed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks