Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 12:29   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Detailed info on importing a bike from USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
I'll be riding out with bunch of my biker buddies (30-40 folks) on a Harley trip to GOA..
I'm leaving my US number plate and will be carrying my TR papers with me until I register at RTO
Shrini,
So finally you have made it, honestly after going through the complete thread find the bureaucratic process hard to digest. 120K is not a joke and yep you should be following it up with them. Good that you are riding to Goa for the month end ride, unfortunately dropping out because of other pressing needs.

Do keep us posted around the RTO Maze as well

Good Luck with your ride and hopefully bump into you one of these days.
Old 24th October 2011, 16:41   #77
BHPian

Now I need legit SBK owner's help here..
I'm trying to do insurance for my bike and here insurance company policies are screwed up that they dont know how to do it or asking me hazar questions which I dont have an answer
Can you guys pls gimme few insurance names who I can talk to and find out how much they charge for a comprehensive insurance?
Old 24th October 2011, 17:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you guys pls gimme few insurance names who I can talk to and find out how much they charge for a comprehensive insurance?
Shrini,
Suggest you to speak with Mr Srinivas Reddy, the Tusker Harley owner and he should be able to help you better. He has delivered some bikes to Madras and as such he should not face any problem.
Old 24th October 2011, 18:01   #79
BHPian

@Mahesh
My TR address is tied at Coimbatore.
Tusker HD does insurance with ICICI-Lombard
I was in Chennai and Chennai guys said that CBE is a negative area and we cannot insure it there and I've to register it in Chennai. I dont want to register it in Chennai as my Bill of Entry is tied to CBE address...So this option is not working
I spoke to Tusker & same ICICI-Lombard in BLR told me that I need to register first to get insurance, this is absurd coz INS comes first before REGN...

Now i'm running around dont know where this is going to lead me
Old 24th October 2011, 22:14   #80
BHPian

@ shrini I dont know if this helps. During my Carnet trip, since none of the private insurance cos were touching it, I went to New India Assurance in Indiranagar, Bangalore and they immediately did a third party insurance for about Rs 800.

However, what they told you about registration could be correct since the New India Assurance computer system has the 2 digit prefixes for KA, KL, TN etc to be typed into the policy and hence they had difficulty in feeding my 'BB' registration, but somehow they circumvented that!! Out of curiosity, when I asked can you do comprehensive, they gave a affirmative answer. Maybe you can give them a shot.
Old 25th October 2011, 20:04   #81
BHPian

I have from Oriental Insurance. Have you checked with them?
Old 26th October 2011, 07:25   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_setty View Post
I have from Oriental Insurance. Have you checked with them?
Sridhar already spoke to oriental insurance so thats where i'll be going with..
The problem is INS is saying that until I get registered its my fault if something happens to bike and they wont cover it, this is keeping me really worried
Old 26th October 2011, 14:09   #83
Senior - BHPian

Shrini78, I sent two private msgs to you about importing bike from Canada. You seem to have replied but both the times your reply only contained what I wrote to you. None of what you wrote. Don't know what happened?
Old 1st November 2011, 23:44   #84
BHPian

Got back from GOA trip,
There were around 30 odd HD bikes ranging from many sportsters to a dyna to softails & fatboy & RoadKings.
There was one Yam MT-01 from BLR

People were oggling & drooling when the bikes came & left in unison...
GOA will never be the same once we came & left the place...

Here are some few videos of the ride that I took..

Disclaimer:
The video contains explicit rap/hip-hop lyrics, so if you dont like rap/hip-hop & if you dont like explicit content then pls mute your audio

Last edited by shrini78 : 1st November 2011 at 23:47.
Old 1st November 2011, 23:47   #85
BHPian

I'm still working on my insurance & Regn :(
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:26   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm still working on my insurance & Regn :(
Shrini,
Appears that your ride with Bangalore Pandhis was very much enjoyable. One question that i was to pop in was around the bike's behavior with Indian Petrol. after having been fed with the right Octane numbered fuel, how is she responding to local fuel? Also do you see any dip in the performance.

Were you able to make any progress around the Insurance or has it been just sitting idle
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:54   #87
BHPian

I dont have an issue here, I go for the highest priced in every bunk and lucky me that USA bike bare min octane is 91+ unlike EU which sits at 95+.
What I heard was some of the first to made in Indian bike has to 97 octane & there are only 2 bunk in BLR which provides that, I pity those fellas
Old 21st September 2012, 21:34   #88

Brilliant post Shrini...very informative and thanks a million for busting a hellava lot of myths and opinions about importing a bike to India on TR...

Could you forward me the contact of your Clearing agent please...i intend to bring my bike early next year on TR... Cheers!

Adith
Old 6th February 2013, 23:38   #89

ToR Rule: 1 year minimum ownership?

Folks,
first off, wanted to introduce myself as a new member.

I've been in "read-only" mode for a couple of months and I must say this is a great forum of well informed/helpful folks!

Been in the US over the last 18 years. Rode a 2001 VFR for about 40K miles, then most recently on a 2009 F650GS twin for about 3 years and 20K miles and counting.

Planning to move back to india this summer. Couple of questions:

1. Can I assume ToR will apply for US Citizens as well(I do have a OCI card - overseas citizen of india)?

2. I'm considering updgrading to a R1200GS but reading from the forums it looks like it might be an impossible. I'm open to getting either a new bike or a used one. Since I might move in less than a year, would this new purchase pose a problem?

3. I might be on a international assignment from my job. Would this open up new avenues to get a CARNET or somthing similar for that duration?

thanks in advance.
Karthik
Old 11th February 2013, 22:32   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabraham View Post
Brilliant post Shrini...very informative and thanks a million for busting a hellava lot of myths and opinions about importing a bike to India on TR...

Could you forward me the contact of your Clearing agent please...i intend to bring my bike early next year on TR... Cheers!

Adith
Hey mate send me a PM and will send u the details on it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks