Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 17:05   #31
BHPian

re: Hyosung GT650R crashed due to Garware dealer mechanic's negligence

Utter stupidity from the Sales Manager's part to lash out at a customer. No reasons justify this. Why aren't you contacting Hyosung directly? Let them know the Customer Service being offered by Garware.

I'm pretty sure this Dhwanish guy will end up losing his job unless he's family.

Funnily, This is not the best thing for Hyosung right now. With their previous stint going up in smoke, this just makes matters worse.

And do not worry about your involvement in the matter. If Garware is willing to pay the difference from insurance claim, go with it. Saves you headache and time. Losing NCB should be the least of your concerns right now.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 19:15   #32
BHPian

@melroy - Did your insurance co deny the claim? if you think Hyosung will pay you in total for the bike, then it is probably too much to expect. Abusing n calling names by garware etc is a different matter altogether and can be treated as a seperate incident. Also, the death, while tragic, is a seperate matter.

So, putting 2+2 n making it 5, I gather that insurance is denied and you want Garware to pay up?

From a customer service and PR point of view, Garware should have taken your bike in and replaced everything n just make you feel good about the whole thing so they retain your patronage and you do word of mouth etc. However, that would be optional and at Garware's discretion and you cannot demand it.

OT - I notice (from the FB screenshot in page 2) that their "Sales manager" is all of 21 years old. Wow...
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 19:37   #33
BHPian

Melroy has never clarified why he is reluctant to claim Insurance !

Yes if the mechanic did not have a liscence then the service center should pay up.

Garware Motors has no liability to pay at all.
Old 21st November 2011, 19:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Melroy - The service station is at fault. If the vehicle is in thier hands, they are responsible for it. Reg the fine print that may be there, Assume the service center sold the bike and told you to get lost, would it be acceptable in a court of law - Certainly Not. SO anyway, fight for the same.

Secondly, to the part where they blame you for a faulty fuel pump, Why do we go to the service station - to service a bike because there are some problems. It is Service center's responsibility to ensure that the bike is road worthy.

you are in no way responsible for the mechanic;s death. It is service station responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is road worthy before allowing to test it and also to ensure proper gear is worn (a.k.a Helmet)

Testing the car is part and parcel of the servicing process. No way you are at fault. It is the responsibility of the dealer to provide helmet / bat-suit or whatever to protect the tester. Helmets in construction sites are provided by the construction company. At my Workplace, PC is needed for my job, so PCs are provided by the company, it is not expected that i should carry a PC from home. Similarly, The service station must provide helmets to mechanics for testing. It is not customers responsibility to provide Helmet.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 20:23   #35
BHPian

Very sad to hear this incident. My 2 cents on the whole episode.

1. This case is clearly between the dealer and you.
2. Death of the Mech is not on you. He died because of lack of training and not taking precautions. However, since it was on your bike, your insurance company can be made a party in the case.
3. They giving you service at 0130 is no biggie considering that you were doing a sponsored ride for them. They are supposed to provided service backup for sponsored rides. Hope you have a papers and bank statement of the 10k you got from them for ride.
4. Regarding you not giving you helmet to the guy, it cant be held against you. Dealer is supposed to provide it and ensure that mechs wears it.
5. Regarding the sales manager. You can use it in defemation. However note that all things you have put up on public forum will be made part of the case too.
6. DO NOT take insurance + insurance payment route. Few members have mentioned that you would lose out on the NCB only. Thats not true, you will lose out on the ride quality and resale value of the bike.

The guys death however tragic cannot be blamed on Mel, leading his helmet or not is his personal choice. What if the guy had fallen and broken his keen, should Mel have given him his keen pads/ chest guard etc?

Garware needs to realise that they are not selling 100cc bikes, they cant take mechs of garages and put them in their showroom. Mechs need to be trained to ride these bikes first.

Take them to court and get yourself a new bike and get your legal fees from them as well.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 20:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Melroy,

I dropped you a PM on this and its time I said it on the thread as well -

Your thread honestly does not talk about the way forward. I'm a little lost - what is the specific aim? TBHP is a fantastic collective brain if well harnessed/crowdsourced. And till now, the story has NO question. Sorry but it can be quite GIGO if u dont ask us the right question.

We are seeing alot of general opinion and chatter on this thread, but it is not converging - and you need to ask us the right question. Let's move beyond the narrative of the unfortunate incident.

Now what? You tell us.
phamilyman is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:27   #37
BHPian

What's with Hyosung deleting all customer complaints posted on their facebook page? Do they only wanna use it as an advertising platform to show the shiny and polished parts? If so then why make an interactive platform in the first place. Talk about being an ostrich !
Really disappointing and shameful.
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Melroy,

I dropped you a PM on this and its time I said it on the thread as well -

Your thread honestly does not talk about the way forward. I'm a little lost - what is the specific aim? TBHP is a fantastic collective brain if well harnessed/crowdsourced. And till now, the story has NO question. Sorry but it can be quite GIGO if u dont ask us the right question.

We are seeing a lot of general opinion and chatter on this thread, but it is not converging - and you need to ask us the right question. Let's move beyond the narrative of the unfortunate incident.

Now what? You tell us.
I totally agree.

Me being into insurance, for one and also other insurance friends, could help you out in the matter, others with law knowledge will help, many of us fellow TBHPians have personal experiences, that may come in handy..... But

BUT as phamilyman quoted, where do you stand in the matter, what is your stand or confusion that requires assistance or rather any guidelines that need to be followed.

All of us just commenting who is wrong or who is right doesn't solve anything.

As rightly quoted above, ask the right questions here or ask any questions here and you will surely get answers.
I love this forum for that, so must you. Make the best of it.
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

As a fellow GT650R owner, i wouldnt venture much into this discussion but all i can say is that the facebook fights never really helped. I was supporting melroy but he didnt clear out a lot of things from day 1 - statuses like my bike crashed by a mechanic and who pays etc trickled in, agree he crashed, it was a mistake and he paid for it with his life but cmon a life is more important than a broken bike which will be repaired in a few weeks. Wasnt such a important thing supposed to be told before people started cursing and abusing the dead soul - am very sad on this part.

Even it was projected that fuel pump started leaking all of a sudden, no news of he fell down and then the whole thing happened. Everything is so cloudy that finding right answers and who is right/wrong is very tough.

I dont support such endurance rides and Garware was equally foolish to have sponsored such a dangerous act, they can sponsor safety awareness ride etc than setting records like 2400 kms in 36 hrs etc, more so their illiterate manager who hurled abuses at melroy and his friends.

Those saying Garware offers 24*7 support so they should open their workshop at 2 in the night, its nothing special - NO. That 24*support has only jump start, fuel delivery, tow away in case of accident etc is covered under this emergency act, they opened so that his ride his complete, he had informed before hand that he had falled while taking a turn.

He is not ready to claim insurance afaik and garware is not willing to pay up so wonder where this is heading to. This was between the dealer and him and i hope garware pays up and finishes this mess asap.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 16:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Those saying Garware offers 24*7 support so they should open their workshop at 2 in the night, its nothing special - NO. That 24*support has only jump start, fuel delivery, tow away in case of accident etc is covered under this emergency act, they opened so that his ride his complete, he had informed before hand that he had falled while taking a turn.
What i meant and think few of them did is, when a company is sponsoring a ride the least they can do is ensure that the service backup enroute is prepared to help the rider complete the ride. 24*7 backup has to be provided to complete the sponsored endurance test.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 16:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
He is not ready to claim insurance afaik and garware is not willing to pay up so wonder where this is heading to. This was between the dealer and him and i hope garware pays up and finishes this mess asap.
According to some new info, Garware offers zero depreciation policy with the GT650R. Whats stopping him from claiming?

If he can no longer live with it.. might as well give it away as total loss.

If Hyosung is deleting negative comments, so is Melroy. Nobody wants anti-content on their walls. Luckily I haven't been deleted yet for posting 'Why are you not claiming insurance?' on his wall.

As long as the person riding the bike has a valid driving license, AFAIK Insurance cannot be denied.

Many people here avail of 24hour roadside assistance. That doesn't mean workshops open at 1.30AM for repair work. If you hit such a major road block in the midst of an endurance ride, the ride is as good as over. Since the bike had travelled 50odd km on a tow truck, the ride was officially over. What was the need to get the workshop opened in the middle of the night?

I wish to quote the the thoughts of a moderator of another automotive forum:

Quote:
After a lot of people started PMing and messaging me xBhp and on FB to help out, I decided to finally post this here.

Melroy, Can you tell the people why did you not reveal :
  • why that you fell while taking a u-turn
  • That the mechanic died while testing your bike
  • That the ride was sponsored by Garware
  • That you were disappointed that you could not complete your IB ride and now you are taking out your disappointment publicly and blaming it on the company

I just dont see any rational reason as to why would'nt you go and claim insurance and also why didnt you file an FIR.

You have created a pit so deep with all that public pity that you have gathered, that you will fall into it.

Please stop whining and playing politics and just say what do you want.

I am no representative of GM here, in fact the company is also at fault sponsoring a dangerous mission like this. Should be a good example for all others not to sponsor these kind of endurance runs.

I wonder what kind of human being will ignore the fact that a person died in his presence, and conceal that fact from his friends on a media like the Facebook.

It is a classic case of a bigger vehicle hitting smaller one, and therefore by people's law the bigger vehicle is at fault.

**Melroy: And thanks for blocking me as well from your Facebook page without any reason, lesser the kinds of you there are, the better.

**People: Please keep me out of this. I dont want to associated with a mission which is solely based on garnering public support for something which is so one sided and politicized with a personal agenda rather than for achieving justice.

Last edited by manson : 22nd November 2011 at 16:41.
antz.bin is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 16:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Since the bike had travelled 50odd km on a tow truck, the ride was officially over. What was the need to get the workshop opened in the middle of the night?
One of the questions that popped up in my mind after reading the thread. If the bike was towed, the ride is done and dusted. There is no way of reclaiming this lost time and think of completing the ride.

Quote:
I wish to quote the the thoughts of a moderator of *some_other*bhp.com
This person has hit the nail on the head. The last bullet point in his list seems to be the probable reason why the thread has been created - Avenge the company for not being able to complete the ride.

@Mel - Please come out in the clear and present your case and the way forward.
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Well,i dont understand,whats the problem in claiming insurance?
why fret over a few thousands and NCB,i dont get it.
A poor soul lost his life,no one is talking about him.
That mech's life had more worth than that crashed bike
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:24   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Is it true that you refused to lend your helmet/didnt voluntarily lend your helmet to the mechanic when he set out for the TD?
Well, this is strange if true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A mechanic takes TDs every day. So its the duty of the Employer to ensure there are helmets available for TDs. why should the owner give his safety gear. Nobody is running a charity here.
There are lot of people driving without helmets. Do we run around them and give them our helmets?
Not sure what you are trying to say here!

The mechanic offers to do the repairs around 1:30AM and asks the customer for his helmet so that he can test ride and confirm all is OK and the customer refuses to give his helmet and the mechanic dies!

If this really happened then this is plain sad and inhuman regardless of what anybody's rulebook says about who should arrange the safety gear.

What does the rulebook say about offering or rejecting repairs at such a late hour?

If a customer is so touchy about his helmet then why does he not take the test ride himself rather than letting the mechanic do it without the helmet?

And where is the question of charity here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
The sales manager alleged that Melroy refused to lend his helmet when asked for it, thats why i popped the question. He can obviously come forward and clear his stand. And regarding charity, if someone actually does ask me for my helmet to take a short spin,I for one, would happily part with it. A lid is never more important than a human life.
Absolutely!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 22nd November 2011 at 17:27.
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

This drama should have ended right there with Garware or dealer agreeing to give the balance amount + NCB and he claiming insurance but his friends insisted Garware should give him a brand new bike or else they would rally and protest, how silly is that - you expect a company to give a brand new bike to you just because their dealer crashed yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
24*7 backup has to be provided to complete the sponsored endurance test.
As stated before and by others, a lot of time had already been wasted trying to stop the leaking fuel and towing the bike on a slow trailer for 50 odd kms so the ride was almost done away with. I think they wanted his bike to be back in shape to try finishing the ride or head back home, they just wanted to please him, what happened afterwards was bad though.

Quote:
According to some new info, Garware offers zero depreciation policy with the GT650R. Whats stopping him from claiming?
Your info is correct, Garware has a tie up with TATA AIG for a comprehensive insurance wherein you get 100% for both plastic and metal parts, you just need to give 500 or 1000 as the claim amount everytime you file a claim.

My friend had a accident on his GT and the service bill was around 72k, he paid just INR 1000 or so.
He said he doesnt want to claim insurance as it would depreciate the value of the bike, the resale of Hyosung aint great either

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye
The mechanic offers to do the repairs around 1:30AM and asks the customer for his helmet so that he can test ride and confirm all is OK and the customer refuses to give his helmet and the mechanic dies!
This never really happened, they didnt ask for it, he didnt offer it and never said a no to it as what he has told to others. He didnt bother to wear it and melroy didnt force him, theres no reason why he would as all tend to ignore such things.

Quote:
If a customer is so touchy about his helmet then why does he not take the test ride himself rather than letting the mechanic do it without the helmet?
I for one dont share my helmet with even my father, its a personal hygiene matter so i wouldnt have shared it with the mechanic but at the same time i would have taken the TD myself and i do. Not because i fear a mechanic may die doing a TD, thats a 1 in million chance and never struck my mind, its because i dont trust these people.

If the mechanic insists then yes i would have definitely given him but believe me no one would or would have ever forced a mechanic to wear a helmet while going to do a check.

After the first service of my gt, i didnt let the mechanic test ride it, he was a small kid in his 19-20's and i dont trust him, it was just a oil change job so it wasnt even required.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 22nd November 2011 at 17:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks