Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2013, 18:02   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Not to antagonize anyone or add fuel to any fire - Am trying to look for US Motor vehicles act and what is their definition on this. Anyone can point me to the link
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 18:23   #122
BHPian

In US number plates are issued by the DMV. You can transfer your number plate to another car as well. There the number plates are linked to vehicle VIN.

From what I was told, they mandate the number plate on the rear. The one in front is not mandatory. I could be wrong.

Here is a link from California on number plate placement
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

Google for dmv license plate position.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 21:37   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
In US number plates are issued by the DMV. You can transfer your number plate to another car as well. There the number plates are linked to vehicle VIN.

From what I was told, they mandate the number plate on the rear. The one in front is not mandatory. I could be wrong.

Here is a link from California on number plate placement
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

Google for dmv license plate position.
I recall that front license plate is mandatory in Northern California, particularly San Francisco. The reason told was that the traffic light cameras require this to capture identifiable and legally admissible images for red light violation evidence
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 08:38   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
'

The Irons have two at the rear. Illegal?
Quote:
Not to antagonize anyone or add fuel to any fire - Am trying to look for US Motor vehicles act and what is their definition on this. Anyone can point me to the link
Interesting debate(?!).

Maybe I can add some. The Side mounted number plate came around in Harley production bikes first with the Nightster. The reason and/or ability to do this was with the LED combination Turn/Stop/Park pod lights that were introduced on the Nightster and continues on the Iron.

Harley had to get US DOT exemption to get them side mounted as OE. BUT, EU spec and therefore India spec bikes have them rear mounted, since they did not bother with exemptions globally.

So, Technically, they are illegal. But Technically, they are legal as well because of the lights doing the job of the tail lamp. If you can convince someone to detach from the conventional Stop/Tail light plus numberplate concept, that is.

Everything clear as mud, I hope.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 08:42   #125
Senior - BHPian

Guys! back to what the thread is here for !

Congrats Shubz!
jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 12:10   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Interesting debate(?!).
So, Technically, they are illegal. But Technically, they are legal as well because of the lights doing the job of the tail lamp.
Mate,
That is exactly what I wanted to convey and I would not been bothered if Shubhankar actually uses a Side Mount or rear Mount. But I think it went beyond control and sounded more like Yes and No.

On the contrary Side Mount actually looks good on the vehicle and looks a lot more meaner at the rear with those huge tires.
Old 6th December 2013, 12:14   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
That is exactly what I wanted to convey and I would not been bothered if Shubhankar actually uses a Side Mount or rear Mount. But I think it went beyond control and sounded more like Yes and No.

On the contrary Side Mount actually looks good on the vehicle and looks a lot more meaner at the rear with those huge tires.
Thanks Mahesh! Y'day I spoke to Ram sir about something and he had an interesting suggestion.

On the same side mount - he said - why don't you try Vertical fit instead of horizontal fit (considering how intimate Bangalore traffic is)
Old 6th December 2013, 12:15   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the same side mount - he said - why don't you try Vertical fit instead of horizontal fit (considering how intimate Bangalore traffic is)
Yes why not as long as you are happy and can carry it off then nothing else matters
Old 6th December 2013, 12:18   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes why not as long as you are happy and can carry it off then nothing else matters
Happiness apart - I'd be in more trouble with the cops as they have to bend to read the number in case I am stopped for something
Old 6th December 2013, 12:36   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happiness apart - I'd be in more trouble with the cops as they have to bend to read the number in case I am stopped for something
think we discussed that quite sufficiently yesterday. To be honest it depends on the mood of the cops. If he sees a shiny new motorcycle and if he is hungry we all know what they can do.

So be careful with it lest you don't end up riding the bike with a Gandhi in between your lips.
Old 6th December 2013, 12:44   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
think we discussed that quite sufficiently yesterday. To be honest it depends on the mood of the cops. If he sees a shiny new motorcycle and if he is hungry we all know what they can do.

So be careful with it lest you don't end up riding the bike with a Gandhi in between your lips.
Yep I agree. While I was at the store sometime back (may be a few weeks ago) I had seen a bike with the registeration number pasted in the front and I had asked him, won't he be booked? for which the store guy answers "Sir, when its bikes like this, they are more gawking at the bike than check whats wrong with the number plate" - But yeah - if its not your day, then no matter how right your bike is - you got to have a Gandhi between your lips!
Old 6th December 2013, 13:24   #132
Senior - BHPian

Wow , I miss out for a couple of days and look what's happened brilliant news Shubz, the dream is no longer just that. You will soon be drunk on whiskey ( mods don't kick me here pls , we aren't talking alcohol, this addiction is worse and awesome ). Can't wait for an ownership review.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 17:04   #133
Senior - BHPian

Soft delivery tomorrow where they'd cover - Bike features, Do's and Don'ts

Actual handing over of the keys on Thursday!

Could they not do both tomorrow!!!!
Old 10th December 2013, 20:30   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Soft delivery tomorrow
Congrats. Though never heard that term 'soft' delivery! It's all basically upto you I guess, how much laxity you give them. Do post some good quality pictures.
Old 10th December 2013, 21:48   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congrats. Though never heard that term 'soft' delivery! It's all basically upto you I guess, how much laxity you give them. Do post some good quality pictures.
To make the birthday of my Iron as 11.12.13 :-) That's quite thoughtful of them though!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks