Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 16:11   #256
BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have been a motorcycle enthusiast as long as I can remember. My story can be summarized as "Life getting the better of a Biker"...albeit temporarily Old story of job, family, travel and other practicalities taking priority up until that one look of your dream machine makes you weak in the knees. You just know you have to jump and so I did!

Will share my detailed experience and photographs soon. Have had her for little over a month now. Added the essentials - Engine guard, rear seat, foot pegs and a Screamin Eagle slip-ons that makes some beautiful music.
AC_genius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 16:50   #257
Senior - BHPian

My little update is that as of 12th Feb, I complete two months of ownership and 3600 on the ODO.

It has been charming each time I take it out. I am on the verge of tipping over for Screaming Eagles Street Cannon's. But not yet.

Niggles: None major. Except that I had a squeal in the rear disc brake, which was fixed post service. Yet to get a root cause for the same.

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-krp1.jpg

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-krp2.jpg
Shubz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 17:31   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Shubz on completing 3,600kms in 2 months? Wow! now thats a lot of riding.

What other vehicles do you own? Also, whats the FE that you get on your Iron? City and Highway is there a drastic difference?

Btw, first picture is nice. Which location is that?
Old 17th February 2014, 18:23   #259
BHPian

I made a thread about HD but no one bothered responding so I will ask here , how do you rate the brand - harley davidson in general(pre sale attitude , service/after-sale , general impression ) .
I ask because spending hours in the forums related to HD kind of give an impression that they are not the most reliable motorcycle out there and are more comparable to enfield than honda for example , and no I don't mean to say comparable quality wise but the presence of niggles/issues and general reliability .
I'm planning to purchase the street 750(only a very bad experience with test ride will change my mind ) but I'm not sure if I should feel confident about that HD can roll out a motor for the first time in 13 years that works properly without major issues(and keep in mind it is made in haryana , should that be a concern ? ). How is their drivetrain/clutch ? In general after say 10k km on clock , the bike still maintains its shape or starts falling off ?
Sportsbike are a big no for me , boneville is out of range and the street 750 is pretty much the only product that is closest to the VFM tag based on current bikes on offer between 3-5 lakhs range .
Old 17th February 2014, 21:28   #260
Senior - BHPian

My friend has 883 and he had done more than 25k. Not a single issue. I have a SuperLow and have done about 2k. No issues.

I have no idea about the reliability of new engine. Harleys come with 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, if that helps.
hondadude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 21:53   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
My friend has 883 and he had done more than 25k. Not a single issue. I have a SuperLow and have done about 2k. No issues.

I have no idea about the reliability of new engine. Harleys come with 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, if that helps.
certainly reassuring to read that so thank you . I trust domestic reviews anyday over american ones .

What else do you have to say about the brand ? Some pros and cons basically and if you were in my place , will you put your faith in a new motor from the brand(assuming initial reviews are positive/acceptable) ?
Old 17th February 2014, 22:57   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats Shubz on completing 3,600kms in 2 months? Wow! now thats a lot of riding.

What other vehicles do you own? Also, whats the FE that you get on your Iron? City and Highway is there a drastic difference?

Btw, first picture is nice. Which location is that?
Avi,
Thanks mate. My other vehicles are Duke 200, 1965 Willys and i20.

FE in city = 17/18 kmpl and FE on highway 23/25 kmpl.

The pic was taken at the Krishnagiri dam.
Shubz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 11:22   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I made a thread about HD but no one bothered responding so I will ask here , how do you rate the brand - harley davidson in general(pre sale attitude , service/after-sale , general impression ) .
I ask because spending hours in the forums related to HD kind of give an impression that they are not the most reliable motorcycle out there and are more comparable to enfield than honda for example , and no I don't mean to say comparable quality wise but the presence of niggles/issues and general reliability .
I'm planning to purchase the street 750(only a very bad experience with test ride will change my mind ) but I'm not sure if I should feel confident about that HD can roll out a motor for the first time in 13 years that works properly without major issues(and keep in mind it is made in haryana , should that be a concern ? ). How is their drivetrain/clutch ? In general after say 10k km on clock , the bike still maintains its shape or starts falling off ?
Sportsbike are a big no for me , boneville is out of range and the street 750 is pretty much the only product that is closest to the VFM tag based on current bikes on offer between 3-5 lakhs range .
Sir,

whatever gave you the idea of unreliability! The pre-2014 models were niggle free, so are the present lot. I do not know of anyone who has been cribbing about leakages etc. Doesn't mean nobody has ever encountered any issues. Comparing the quality of HD v\s Enfield is blasphemy!

The 750, I have only seen in flesh. Haven't got a chance to ride it. It will be out in the market in the first week of March and it would cost 4.99 on road here in Bangalore. And I am sure it wouldn't be any compromise on the HD quality. Even I am curious to swing my leg over the 750 when it arrives. Just to get a feel of the new bike.

What is it about "Made in Haryana?" Many international brands have their manufacturing facility in Haryana and other parts of India. The HD's that are delivered in India are "Assembled in Haryana" and their quality is matched to the international one's.

I haven't clocked 10K yet. may be in a few months time and then I would be able to tell you about the clutch and drivetrain after 10k.

As of now, the clutch is a bit heavy, but its got to be that, for the size of the engine/drivetrain.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 22:40   #264
BHPian

The idea of unreliability(relative to a jap , not as in unreliable to the extent it should not be in market) mainly stems from online HD specific forums(mainly sportster .org where the most common issue seems to be oil leak from head gasket , hence that reference) .

Since that and the limited reviews here at t-bhp are the only things I can use to form an opinion , i was naturally curious about it. As for the enfield comparision part , no I didn't mean to say they are on par . It is merely to serve as a platform for comparision for the lack of a better option and not to be taken literally(sorry if I phrased it wrong in my original post) .

Anyways back to the topic , what is your opinion on the company in general , how are the post sale service and say i were to face some major issue , should I expect to be treated with courtesy without hassle ? The only reason I ask this is because a few months back , i came across a news that in the southern part of our country , many hog riders staged a protest with banners etc outside a dealership regarding post sale experience.

And shubz , I'm younger than you in age so please don't call me sir . Also excuse my inexperience regarding general automobile scenario since this is going to be my first new vehicle and I really don't want to make the bad choice . I will like to add that your post has reassured my mind as I really respect the reviews of domestic users .

Regards.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 10:30   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the most common issue seems to be oil leak from head gasket , hence that reference) .
That's not a major issue. Even Bullets have oil weep from the head gasket.

These (Royal Enfields and Harley Davidsons) are retro classics, and these minor leaks are fondly referred to by owners as their Bulls/Hogs "marking their territory." A manly alpha male thing.

It seems even the much vaunted Harley chrome is not immune to rust as well.

Can you share with us what other quality issues you have read about? Are these for the Indian Harleys only or are these American Harleys as well?
Old 19th February 2014, 11:55   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The idea of unreliability(relative to a jap , not as in unreliable to the extent it should not be in market) mainly stems from online HD specific forums(mainly sportster .org where the most common issue seems to be oil leak from head gasket , hence that reference) .
You need to be rest assured that I have not, neither have any of my 10 Harley mates here in Meerut, faced any of the issues stated by you. Our combined kms must be over 30K with bikes ranging to the Sportster to the top of the pack Fat Bobs/Boy. So don't go by heresay or what others 'critics' try to convince you, Harley is one fantastic piece of engineering even in today's day and age. The moment it zooms past all at a red light will vaporise all 'Bullet' comparisons. It's not a racing bike per se' by any stretch of the imagination and if that is your requirement then you are posting in the wrong topic. But if you want a 'Dada Le Pota Barte' kind of a bike then this is it for you...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 11:56   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Since that and the limited reviews here at t-bhp are the only things I can use to form an opinion , i was naturally curious about it. As for the enfield comparision part , no I didn't mean to say they are on par . It is merely to serve as a platform for comparision for the lack of a better option and not to be taken literally(sorry if I phrased it wrong in my original post) .

Anyways back to the topic , what is your opinion on the company in general , how are the post sale service and say i were to face some major issue , should I expect to be treated with courtesy without hassle ? The only reason I ask this is because a few months back , i came across a news that in the southern part of our country , many hog riders staged a protest with banners etc outside a dealership regarding post sale experience.

And shubz , I'm younger than you in age so please don't call me sir . Also excuse my inexperience regarding general automobile scenario since this is going to be my first new vehicle and I really don't want to make the bad choice . I will like to add that your post has reassured my mind as I really respect the reviews of domestic users .

Regards.
I would disagree if you said "Oil leak" is a common Harley Issue. At least I have not seen anyone at Bangalore Harley complain of Oil leak on stock engine.

Company after-sales has been exceptional to say the least. They have improved by many notches now. I deal with the Tusker guys often - not because I have any issues. Just general as an active member of the HOG community.

Others have not complained about after-sales service either. Something that happened in the southern part of India, we all know it was a different issue altogether.

I would never say "My daddy strongest" and demean other brands. I am damn happy about my choice and I sure would say - I have rejoiced every moment of owning this beast. Be it the performance of the machine, be it the attitude of the sales folks.

No remorse whatsoever.

My ODO reading so far.

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-odo1.jpg
Shubz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 15:45   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's not a major issue. Even Bullets have oil weep from the head gasket.

These (Royal Enfields and Harley Davidsons) are retro classics, and these minor leaks are fondly referred to by owners as their Bulls/Hogs "marking their territory." A manly alpha male thing.

Can you share with us what other quality issues you have read about? Are these for the Indian Harleys only or are these American Harleys as well?
This is based on a few HD specific forums which are inhabited with mainly americans. Indian ownership reviews so far from this forum are positive .. And I own a CI 86 model so Im familiar with leak and don't consider it a deal breaker , thing is it is acceptable to me for a 40k 2nd hand motorcycle .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You need to be rest assured that I have not, neither have any of my 10 Harley mates here in Meerut, faced any of the issues stated by you. Our combined kms must be over 30K with bikes ranging to the Sportster to the top of the pack Fat Bobs/Boy. So don't go by heresay or what others 'critics' try to convince you, Harley is one fantastic piece of engineering even in today's day and age. The moment it zooms past all at a red light will vaporise all 'Bullet' comparisons. It's not a racing bike per se' by any stretch of the imagination and if that is your requirement then you are posting in the wrong topic. But if you want a 'Dada Le Pota Barte' kind of a bike then this is it for you...
Thank you as that is reassuring to read , I'm currently residing in bareilly myself so want to be absolutely sure about the choice I make because servicing means 300km to dilli Btw small issues like tyre puncture or say a blown indicator , are they easy to fix locally ?

Also what is your opinion on the belt drive ? Sturdy enough to last 20-30k km ?

And i'm aware of the motor specification and performance expected , I'm not into sports bike because of agressive stance and I don't feel comfortable on them or with their performance(which is too much for me to handle in a relaxed state of mind). Not fixated on top speed or bhp at all(though it does feel good to know "yeah my bike can do 160")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I would disagree if you said "Oil leak" is a common Harley Issue. At least I have not seen anyone at Bangalore Harley complain of Oil leak on stock engine.

Company after-sales has been exceptional to say the least. They have improved by many notches now. I deal with the Tusker guys often - not because I have any issues. Just general as an active member of the HOG community.

My ODO reading so far.

Attachment 1209496
Service is very important because i stay in bareilly and delhi is a 300km hectic ride so want to avoid it as much as possible. Glad to hear your positive feedback on that .

And there are no 2nd brand or model in consideration , it is either street 750 or back to square one because there is no other product between 3-5 lakh range that attracts me . So you can understand my fixation with everything related to HD as things stand .
basuroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 16:49   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you as that is reassuring to read , I'm currently residing in bareilly myself so want to be absolutely sure about the choice I make because servicing means 300km to dilli Btw small issues like tyre puncture or say a blown indicator , are they easy to fix locally ?

Also what is your opinion on the belt drive ? Sturdy enough to last 20-30k km ?

And i'm aware of the motor specification and performance expected , I'm not into sports bike because of agressive stance and I don't feel comfortable on them or with their performance(which is too much for me to handle in a relaxed state of mind). Not fixated on top speed or bhp at all(though it does feel good to know "yeah my bike can do 160")
So you are a fellow UPite...lolz. Refer to my ownership thread here for details of my bike - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ve-review.html

I too live about 100km from the dealership. Had to go there for the 1st service but with my hands on nature it seems very likely that I will be doing the next servicing myself. Recently changed my Screamin Eagles Slip Ons myself and also did a full exhaust change on a friend's Fat Bob to V&H Short Shots.

The belt drive has a supposed life expectancy of 1.5 Lac ~ 2 Lac kms. So no need to be afraid there. Just ensure proper tightening/play and that no debris gets stuck there.

On tubeless tyres repairing puncture does not involve removing the wheels and can be done right on the bike itself. Indicators won't blow so easily. It's a well made bike. And hands on videos for most jobs on a Harley are available online.

And yeah, your bike can do 160. Recently did 130 with my wife as a pillion with zilch issues over the 100km drive. And no scrapes contrary to what many 'experts' would like you to believe.

But be ready for some 'Harley Tax' as they call it because you wont be able to stop yourself from adding the accessories which are expensive by Indian mindsets but then so is the quality.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 17:07   #270
BHPian

I have been a silent visitor to your thread to be honest and have enjoyed going through your regular updates. I like the relatively easy nature of doing stuffs with these bikes like changing exhaust or cleaning air filter by yourself. A good way to kill a few hours every month not to mention makes you more attached to the motorcycle. Btw do we need any special tool for removing and cleaning intake filter or is it doable by a newbie ?

Didn't know the belt drive is that sturdy in nature , lakh+ milleage is super impressive . In the triumph thread , I read the chain of bonnie requires regular lubircation , any such service job needed for belt drive(I'm assuming not) ? Any other part of the motorcycle that requires weekly or monthly attention ?

Another thing - the motor is fine with regular petrol or needs high octance petrol ?

And what are the service charge ? I really don't know how "free servicing" for the first 2 years work . I mean if I by misfortune face some issue with my motor , they will replace the faulty part free of charge right (but charge me money for doing the job) ? Excuse my ignorance since my only vehicle is a 2nd hand enfield which is serviced locally .

Thank you for your time to help me out , really appreciate it.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks