Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 13:38   #361
BANNED

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Dustom sir - I have a few questions for you. Help appreciated.

O2 sensors - Are they still in place after removing stock exhaust? I vaguely remember the SA mentioning that the O2 sensors are gone along with the stock exhausts.

AFR - What would be my AFR after the exhaust mod, How do I check it?

Gain - What would be the gain I would've got after this? Can that be measured?

XiEd - did your friend run them for two years before going the SEPRT/PV way?

Thanks,
Shubz
First Let me start by saying that "SIR" is not required...
we are more of HOG brothers than anything else!

1. I have not read the entire thread but I believe You have SLIPON from V&H , O2 sensors are placed on both Exhaust pipes just after they come out of cylinder and bend downwards.
You could verify this by looking at your front cylinder exhaust , if you look from Inbetween the Frame Downtubes ( Near horn) You can locate some mettalic contraption sticking out of Exhaust pipe with wiring attached to it!

Since in slip on mufflers only Muffler is changed not the Header pipes , there is no reason for O2 sensors to be missing or removed.

I believe someone must have told you about CatCON being gone , as OEM exhaust have CATCON inside both mufflers and AFtermarket ones does not have catcon (Thats why its written on packing "for closed course and racing application only"

Verify your exhaust , I do not think your sensors will be missing , I they are , ask the dealership to hand them over to you ( They are Expensive).
Bike Is likely to run pretty much ok even without O2 sensors , as ECU has base map to fall back to but It will not learn from your riding style ( Called Adaptive Fuel Trim).
Also keep the removed OEM mufflers with you , do not leave them at workshop, you can sell them for 4-5k or keep them for future.

2. AFR is very difficult to findout , You can get some sense if Its too lean by Abnormal Temperature, unwilling to accelerate smoothly (In higher gears) specially after long stop go traffic / Jam or Extended Idle. Pinging / knocking from engine.

One can get a Vague sense from looking at spark plugs after riding atleast a few hundred KM. ( Black / soot / wet) - Rich , (Bluish tinge / white flakes / white rust ) - lean
All this will require experience .
One most likely sign is Hickup / hesitation if you suddenly twist to accelerate!

Only sure Shot way is TTS Master Tune , SE Pro super Tuner or Power vision.
All of them will cost about same , SEPST being the cheapest.

If you have Stock AC , there is nothing to worry . Bike will be fine . Biggest advantage of Over engineering and Under tuning. 883 has all the hardware of 1200 engine - so Fin area on 883 is actually designed to cool even modified 1200s
Most likely your AFR will have come back to 14.64(stock) for most of the range below 4k rpm , above that stock AC will not be able to cope anyway. Enjoy your ride , all is well!

3. Gain.
while top end gain will not be significant and may be in region of 5-8% without a better AC and Remap , Exhaust will have Improved your Mid range Torque quite a bit. there should be a likely jump of 15% easily but only in mid range .
You are going to love and feel better acceleration on the actual road conditions in daily routein rides.

In time when you go for a HD Remap with better AC - overall figures may get into mid 80ies for Torque and RWHP to 47+-2 , SAE horsepower very nearly 55+bhp. If you Know how to and when to shift you will leave most 70bhp Yamasukies for dead.
Aggresive Remaps can put you in 90nm aswell.

4.Xieds- they are as stupid as stupid ducks! they make you rich everywhere , even in places where the map is already rich , also there is something called Acceleration Enrichment, with ecu trying to enrich your map because of sudden throttle burst , They will enrich it further and you will loose power because of incomplete combustion instead of gaining!
Running too rich is equally /more bad on HD than running lean!
For a total poser they make so much power that 883 will smoke R1!

Also it does not deal with Spark correction , so you gain lot of HP in your head not on the wheel!
My friend ran it only for about 2 months on 48. then moved to Fuelpak for another year . Now has SEPST and stock HD remap and cams .
Engine is most expensive part of your ride , it needs love to love you back !

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th May 2014 at 19:30. Reason: editing out mention of high speeds and cleaning up the language. Thanks.
dustom_99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 13:59   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
If you Know how to and when to shift you will leave most 70bhp Yamasukies for dead till 150-160
No questioning you, but I'd dearly love to see this in real life.

On the track of course, per forum rules.

P.S. In fact, I would love to add a much smaller 390 cc Indian bike to the mix as well.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th April 2014 at 14:02.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 14:10   #363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

P.S. In fact, I would love to add a much smaller 390 cc Indian bike to the mix as well.

Its just an old harley joke! dont take it to heart! If rider skill is taken out of question , lighter body and same/ more HP cant be beaten! atleast not with simple mods like AC and Exhaust alone!

Although Drag race quater mile , HD does stand a pretty good chance! as lighter one will not be able to put all the HP down on tarmac for first 1 or 2 gears , if it does it will be very hard to keep nose down.

390 is different story- Guess 883 will smoke it! will have to try to be sure as I have not been on 390.
may be in coming months I will try and arrange a Drag with 390.

Last edited by dustom_99 : 24th April 2014 at 14:18. Reason: link added
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 14:31   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
390 is different story- Guess 883 will smoke it! will have to try to be sure as I have not been on 390.
may be in coming months I will try and arrange a Drag with 390.
Do please let us know the results when you do.
Old 24th April 2014, 14:40   #365
BANNED

Quote:

Do please let us know the results when you do.
I m yet to even see a 390 in haridwar!
Lets see when that happens!
Of course i will let you know, if it happens with a planned drag RACe day will also share video.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 16:57   #366
BHPian

Quote:
First Let me start by saying that "SIR" is not required...
we are more of HOG brothers than anything else!

1. I have not read the entire thread but I believe You have SLIPON from V&H , O2 sensors are placed on both Exhaust pipes just after they come out of cylinder and bend downwards.
You could verify this by looking at your front cylinder exhaust , if you look ...
Awesome Dustom! You really seem to know what's happening in the heart of these Harleys. I need to pick you mind for my engine upgrages soon.

Hey quick one - I have a fellow HOG who is furiously pushing me for a stage 1 air filter along with my SE 2014 exhaust. Personally I am not sold because not sure how much difference it makes without the fuel map upgrade. Expert comments welcome.
Old 24th April 2014, 17:14   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post
Awesome Dustom! You really seem to know what's happening in the heart of these Harleys. I need to pick you mind for my engine upgrages soon.

Hey quick one - I have a fellow HOG who is furiously pushing me for a stage 1 air filter along with my SE 2014 exhaust. Personally I am not sold because not sure how much difference it makes without the fuel map upgrade. Expert comments welcome.
Dustom surely would give you a better response. Personally I'd say, if you go in for stage 1 Air filter - go with the Super tuner as well if you need to see real difference.

Here is a link that gives you some insight into different stages of upgrades
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 17:52   #368
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post

There is nothing wrong with bigger filter and Higher flowing Exhaust , you will loose Torque somewhere ,usually low RPM and gain same or more elsewhere. (Good tune will prevent you from loosing anywhere , gain at bottom, in mid and top aswell) , but I have Heard or read somewhere that 2014 SE Exhaust are pretty expensive as compared to previous years?? Is that correct? I am not sure If they are Internally different - that will change their feel compared to previous ones

even without a Remap you will get gain good enough to make you feel happy! most people will call it worth it and call it a day, and most of the HOGs are running it that way ( without remap).
It feels lot better than stock for sure , atleast in gear roll ons.

SE slipons have very good mid range! Heavy breather add to it but carries it forward towards top end aswell.

If you are that kind of rider - Hitting the Rev limiter all the time , you will surely need a remap - not only will it make you run right but will give you additional horses that you search near rev limit!
If you find yourself shifting below 4k most of the time (most of the people shift below 4k 95% of time, this Stat I just made Up) , Stock filter is not too bad either!

Remap is One big leap forward!
If you want to wait on it , Bike is going to be fine till then , even if it is forever!
Also you dont have to get Expensive yet conservative Remap of HD.

private maps make asmuch as 10% more power and run the engine cooler on the cost of Fuel economy!
Ride Hard! Safe can wait!

Last edited by dustom_99 : 24th April 2014 at 18:00.
Old 24th April 2014, 18:38   #369
Senior - BHPian

Dustom,

please dont get offended by the "sir" thing. Its a way of speaking (with respect).

Yes I have the V&H Slip on's only, not the full system and Yes I meant catcon and not the 02 sensor.

As far as the parts are concerned.

The original spark plugs, the original spark plug wires, the original derby cover, the OE mufflers are all with me. They do not keep old parts.

At times during city traffic, I could sense the heating was a bit more than usual but nothing alarming yet.

Trying to source Quiet baffles from the US. Super tuner will take months I guess.
Old 29th April 2014, 12:41   #370
Senior - BHPian

Given up on the quiet baffles. After running the bike for a few hundred kms. the noise has now settled to a nice growl with some carbon depositing from running.

Super tuner and stage 1 A\C to go on in the next few days. The surprise is that - Both are readily available off the shelf at this point of time!
Old 29th April 2014, 12:49   #371
BANNED

Do let me know The price of AC ( Heavy Breather I hope) , I am in hunt for better AC aswell. ALthough I might come up with an AC of my own soon. ( OEM Air filter from HYundai Verna , it does not look as cool as Heavy breather)
It would be fun to compare Flow rates from different AC!
Old 29th April 2014, 12:54   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do let me know The price of AC ( Heavy Breather I hope) , I am in hunt for better AC aswell. ALthough I might come up with an AC of my own soon. ( OEM Air filter from HYundai Verna , it does not look as cool as Heavy breather)
It would be fun to compare Flow rates from different AC!
No bro, not the heavy breather for now. Just the regular stage 1 upgrade.
Old 29th April 2014, 12:59   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Forget about a 390.
One of my friend,an experienced track rider,was running circles around harley's at BIC on a CBR 250

Last edited by akshay4587 : 29th April 2014 at 13:01.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 13:02   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Forget about a 390.
One of my friend,an experienced track rider,was running circles around harley's at BIC on a CBR 250
I know. Actually, I guess we all know. At least most of us do .... . The track bit was for conformity to forum rules.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 13:26   #375
BANNED

Every one's friend does it! no one himeself!
May be The HOG rider was Laughing Inside his helmet on how stupid people can get to Justify their investment that they need to race with a Harley davidson!
Sometimes I let even Racing activas go by and let them feel happy about it!

OH by the way just the other day My friend's Sportster left behind Agni 3 in 0-100

I am quite sure someones friend did pip a busa on Splendor'!

HD ( ANY) would run circles around your friends yamasuki when asked to ride from Punjab / delhi / uttarakhand / kashmir to GOA and back and attend office next day!

IS your Friend was really a Track rider , experienced one at that , and he was racing a HD and asking you to brag about his spoils online?

Last edited by dustom_99 : 29th April 2014 at 13:34.
dustom_99 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks