Cable and software!! As Told you before
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:59   #422
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Yes!
Cable and software!! As Told you before
Not me! If I ask the HD service folks to do it - they would have the necessary means to do it, right? (My bike is due for 2nd service now)

The reason to ask -- when I asked him what is the current AFR - I got an evasive reply
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:12   #423
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

Not me! If I ask the HD service folks to do it - they would have the necessary means to do it, right? (My bike is due for 2nd service now)

The reason to ask -- when I asked him what is the current AFR - I got an evasive reply
You cant simply punch in values in afr table as you like, does not work that way! Afr table is built up on VE table
Regions need to be identified where one could go rich and up to what level. And its impact on other variables.
Base map is 14.6 but there will be regions where actual combustion would be lean and other places it would be rich.

Dont take chance of changing your map to 13.x just like that, over rich conditions are pretty harmful for oil film on cylinder walls.

Moreover HD people will not do it , most likely they would not know how to.
In their training they are only taught to download and write new tunes to ecu and change idle etc.

I dont think their software gives them freedom to change tunes.
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:31   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
You cant simply punch in values in afr table as you like, does not work that way! Afr table is built up on VE table
Regions need to be identified where one could go rich and up to what level. And its impact on other variables.
Base map is 14.6 but there will be regions where actual combustion would be lean and other places it would be rich.

Dont take chance of changing your map to 13.x just like that, over rich conditions are pretty harmful for oil film on cylinder walls.

Moreover HD people will not do it , most likely they would not know how to.
In their training they are only taught to download and write new tunes to ecu and change idle etc.

I dont think their software gives them freedom to change tunes.
Good suggestion! I will not enforce them to try anything. If there is anything in the official 2014 HD download, then its worth a try.

EDIT: Having said the above, HD folks were saying mine is first 2014 sportster in Bangalore to get the 2014 HD download. So I presume, this would be the latest download!

Is it possible to punch in the 13.x value on a PV1?

Last edited by Shubz : 22nd May 2014 at 17:35.
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:02   #425
BANNED

Quote:
Good suggestion! I will not enforce them to try anything. If there is anything in the official 2014 HD download, then its worth a try.

EDIT: Having said the above, HD folks were saying mine is first 2014 sportster in Bangalore to get the 2014 HD download. So I presume, this would be the latest download!

Is it possible to punch in the 13.x value on a PV1?

Yes you can punch in / modify AFR table in both PV and SEPRT .
but as soon as you use any other value other than 14.64 , the ECU no longer remains in Close loop. to maintain close loop , again you have to record lambda voltages and make corrections..

To cut the long story- AFR alone does not do any thing - main table is Volumetric efficiency for both cylinders.
AFR only tell the ecu what ratio to maintain , but if ecu does not know how much air is actually flowing in and out , it cant calculate mass of fuel to be Injected for desired AFR....
can it?

Whole system falls into Open loop and bike runs crappy!
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:11   #426
Senior - BHPian

Second service done @ aroung 8700 kms on the Odo.

Had no issues to report. However I had asked the SA to give me all possible values that they can capture off the ECU. I have a print out of the same and will put it up here. It is interestingly called "Birth Certificate"

This being an Auto-tuner - will not allow any kind of tweaking on the settings. If adjusts everything according to the inputs it gets from the throttle/engine etc.

Things done - The regular Oil change and the must do's - Wash, there was a small scratch on the left rear indicator, was removed by detailing the same.

Clutch checked.
Brakes bled
Discs cleaned besides other things.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 13:10   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Second service done @ aroung 8700 kms on the Odo.
Shubz,

How much does a standard service costs?

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and smartphone users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd June 2014 at 12:56. Reason: quoted post shortened for better readability on mobile devices
Old 2nd June 2014, 13:21   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
Shubz,

How much does a standard service costs?
Standard sevice costs around 6/6.5K First service at 1600 and then at 8000kms and every 8k kms after that.
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:07   #429

Shubz my bike has done only 300 kms by now but it's more than 45 days and they also say 1600 or one month. Do you think I should go for service or I should just let it be for another couple of months because 1600 will take really long.
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:23   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by see India View Post
Shubz my bike has done only 300 kms by now but it's more than 45 days and they also say 1600 or one month. Do you think I should go for service or I should just let it be for another couple of months because 1600 will take really long.
Allow me to pitch in. If you have already crossed 45 days and covered just 300kms on the Odometer then its wise to get 1st service done ASAP

Service intervals for any 4 or 2 wheeler is always whichever happens first (kms covered OR crossing the stipulated time-period which in your case is 30 days)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:29   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Technically its the KM's that matter. However the showrooms insist on time (from commercial perspective)

I personally feel it should be ok if you could finish up the 1600 kms and then give it for a service as its not a free service that you would be missing on. Thats when it is worthy of having an oil change etc. Now it'd be as good as changing new oil and the oil isn't cheap

Edit: Post Avi's input - I am sure you would be confused as hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Allow me to pitch in. If you have already crossed 45 days and covered just 300kms on the Odometer then its wise to get 1st service done ASAP

Service intervals for any 4 or 2 wheeler is always whichever happens first (kms covered OR crossing the stipulated time-period which in your case is 30 days)
Avi - You are right as far as the writing is concerned in the manuals and the recommendations made by the manufacturer/dealer.

But technically - don't you think just 400 kms on the Odo doesn't call for an Oil Change? For, the engine is still new, still breaking in, so in 1200/1500 kms from then, it would've broken in well, resulting in many more chippings/filings to accumulate on the oil filter - necessitating another oil change then. just my thoughts - I could be wrong.

Last edited by Shubz : 2nd June 2014 at 16:34.
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:43   #432

Yes I'm confused as hell now. Please give me clarity as I'm booked for tomorrow.
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:33   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avi - You are right as far as the writing is concerned in the manuals and the recommendations made by the manufacturer/dealer.

But technically - don't you think just 400 kms on the Odo doesn't call for an Oil Change? For, the engine is still new, still breaking in, so in 1200/1500 kms from then, it would've broken in well, resulting in many more chippings/filings to accumulate on the oil filter - necessitating another oil change then. just my thoughts - I could be wrong.
Shubz, your description of breaking in and cleansing/replenishing oil after those intial kms is spot on. But, considering See India running, it may take him another 3-4 months to finish 1600kms.

Keeping that in mind, its not advisable to let the motor run with factory installed oil for such long periods

As his running is low, its best to get the 1st service done with and he can do the next service at 1 year period of 8,000kms whichever is early

Quote:
Yes I'm confused as hell now. Please give me clarity as I'm booked for tomorrow.
....I would still recommend you to get your service done as I think its best to go by manual atleast for the intial few services as it can even help in future warranty claims ( If any)

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd June 2014 at 17:34.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:37   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would not advice you to change oil at 300kms on the odo. As Shubz, correctly, advised you, wait for at least the break-in period to complete. And that is minimum 800~1200kms for the Harley engine. The factory filled oil is same specced as that would be changed and is good for 8K kms. Although this may affect your warranty part but it will be better for your engine. Rather than change the oil now and then wait for another 8k kms, I would advice you to up your ante in riding and complete those initial 1~1.5k kms fast and then proceed for a oil change. Its just 5 days of 200kms rides we do every weekend. You got yourself a Harley, now go get a reason to ride .
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:45   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I would still recommend you to get your service done as I think its best to go by manual atleast for the intial few services as it can even help in future warranty claims ( If any)
No warranty is void if you don't keep up the date with the dates But if you get the service done elsewhere, then all warranty void!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would not advice you to change oil at 300kms on the odo. As Shubz, correctly, advised you, wait for at least the break-in period to complete. And that is minimum 800~1200kms for the Harley engine. The factory filled oil is same specced as that would be changed and is good for 8K kms. Although this may affect your warranty part but it will be better for your engine. Rather than change the oil now and then wait for another 8k kms, I would advice you to up your ante in riding and complete those initial 1~1.5k kms fast and then proceed for a oil change. Its just 5 days of 200kms rides we do every weekend. You got yourself a Harley, now go get a reason to ride .
Yeah bro! Dhiraj is so right! You got a Harley, Ride the hell out of it. I have completed 9000 Kms (almost) in my 5+ months of owning one!

Get those wheels to the road!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks