Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:37   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Will the hugely popular Skoda Roots Horn fit it?
I have fitted the same on my Harley - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3318873 . Something similar can be worked upon in the Bonne.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Hearty Congrats to Arun on his B-E-A-UTIFUL purchase and wish him many more smiley miles ahead ! .

Some humble cents from myside IMO

1.Replace the long mirrors with bit shorter ones. The stocks get shaky after some speeds.
2.Move down the front number plate to area below the headlight
Cheers
Quote:

Thats a wonderful and crisp comparison Insearch. I think I have read a text report of this comparison but, dont think have seen this video before

Thanks for sharing. It really brings out each bikes strengths and weakness clearly for an informed decision

1. Thanks for bringing this up. Mirrors in particularly impressed me. I touched a max speed of 120kmph on the highway and I could still see Absynthguzzler clearly in RVM unlike the RE where objects in the mirror is a complete blur post 80kmph

2. This is a good suggestion and will eventually happen. That is a pretty odd position for the number plate. Totally agree on this point

!!
Mirrors - both comments are valid. But I think Pheonix is talking of speeds little above what Avi has mentioned and you can see the vibes at those. But then again, that is not your every day speeds. For commuting the tall stalks are much better - as per my observation -
as they offer better field of vision.

number plate: I think its a no no position - under the HL. Unless some one wants to experiment and have a dented front mudguard, my suggestion is don't experiment it. It also would mean getting a relocating kit for the Rectifier unit - the kit is indeed expensive unless you can fabricte one/jugad.

Once the Registration etc are over I think you can live with a decent sticker in the front mudguard - like a lot of scooters et al.

Comp video - I think I had posted it earlier either on my thread or on the Triumph India thread.

An coming from people who have soem impecable creditials in the field of Motorcycling its enough for an "informed decision". If some one is still sitting on the fence then leave the "doubting Thomas" be.

Insearch has really done a good turn to all by bringing it out on this thread as well.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:51   #93
BHPian

Too much activity on this thread. Just doesn't suit a Bonnie owner .

All points raised were actually discussed between me and Avi on our test run.

Whilst Avi was contemplating whether 7Lacs is being spent wisely, i was figuring out if i should have bought a RE before going for the Bonnie.

Barring the seating comfort , there is just no comparison between both. I did develop a keenness on the way a Bullet rides though, certainly a pleasure and unique at the price points offered.

Baah! enough typing . See you'll soon. Avi anyhow seems to answer all the responses just the way i would like to put it- mi casa es su casa when its feelings related to the bonnie i guess.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 3rd February 2014 at 12:59.
absynthguzzler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:08   #94
Senior - BHPian

The legendary Triumph Bonneville looks a bit understated to me in the pictures. Seeing it in flesh will make more sense I think, infact as they say some are photogenic some are not, or is it me who only.

Slightly but throw in a Kawasaki W800 the arch nemesis of the Triumph Bonneville and the game will be taken to a different level altogether. Sigh! only if Kawasaki launches the W800 in India, nevertheless since Triumph Bonneville is here we atleast have a choice for the beloved British parallel twin in this avatar.
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:17   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Something similar can be worked upon in the Bonne.
Thanks. Nice to know there is a workaround. Will get into these minor things once I have the Bonny delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Mirrors - both comments are valid. But I think Pheonix is talking of speeds little above what Avi has mentioned and you can see the vibes at those. But then again, that is not your every day speeds. For commuting the tall stalks are much better - as per my observation - as they offer better field of vision.
While I agree that tall mirrors are perfect for better vision, Iam also a bit inclined with those small mirrors on the handle bars. Looks cute

Will they be offered as an accessory here in India? Remains to be seen.

Quote:
Once the Registration etc are over I think you can live with a decent sticker in the front mudguard - like a lot of scooters
Didnt understand this point about sticker? Can you rephrase it please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Too much activity on this thread. Just doesn't suit a Bonnie owner
LOL, Are you saying a plain jane bike like Bonnie shouldnt get so much attention? I can close this thread if that makes you happy

Quote:
Whilst Avi was contemplating whether 7Lacs is being spent wisely, i was figuring out if i should have bought a RE before going for the Bonnie.
True that bro, 7 Lakhs is still making my head spin. But, once smitten, I magically make the moolah appear

Quote:
Barring the seating comfort , there is just no comparison between both. I did develop a keenness on the way a Bullet rides though, certainly a pleasure and unique at the price points offered. Baah! enough typing . See you'll soon. Avi anyhow seems to answer all the responses just the way i would like to put it- mi casa es su casa when its feelings related to the bonnie i guess.
Actually on longer rides its universally known that Classic 500 isnt comfortable at all compared to the RE Thunderbird. But, nice to know you found the RE seats comfortable

RE Classic 500 now feels industrial..LOL

Jokes apart, agree with you that at that price point, RE 500 is an awesome bike and I still love it. So it ain't going anywhere

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd February 2014 at 13:18.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:37   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Didnt understand this point about sticker? Can you rephrase it please?
Avi

As they say a picture is better than 1,000 words

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville-dsc0190020-b.jpg

Actually the sticker there was a hotch potch hasty job. Need to shape the sticker to accommodate the two way parabolica shape of the mudguard. The sticker guy told me to bring the bike to him next time so that he can do shaping (of the edges of the sticker) correctly

Hope this is clear

Regards

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:17   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As they say a picture is better than 1,000 words
Now I understand what you mean. But, what did you do with the number plate handle? Just removed it from its original place? Hope it didnt leave any marks? Also, the number plate on the front mudguard is legal in India?

Btw, I have a fundamental question on the Bonneville available for sale in India now.

Is it a 2013 model or 2014 model? Also, what are the differences between these two models?
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:58   #98
BHPian

INDIAN HORNS:

Since the subject of horn came up, on a lighter vein let me quote a famous anonymous saying on horn usage in India
"In the developed motoring world you horn when somebody else has done something stupid. In India you use the horn to tell people you are going to do something stupid!"

Anyway, I am not sure how pertinent this is for different superbike manufacturers selling their bikes with OE horns in India, so experience from users will tell. I will however put down my experience.

When myself and another German rider did separate trips in India on the BMW GS and GS Adventure bikes respectively, both of our OE horns went kaput after about 3000 kms of the ride! Later on, I read a news article that the Indian wings of both Audi & BMW cars were considering switching to local indian horn vendors as the rate of OE horn failure is high. Subsequently, I was in contact with one of the reputed Indian horn manufacturers and was told that most of the European OE horns are made with a lifespan of about 50,000 cycles, whereas apna Indian horns are made with a lifespan of 4,00,000 cycles (for obvious reasons I guess!). Besides, in India the vehicle with the loudest horn has the 'right of way'.

I picked up a Hella twin-tone which is excellent for touring/highway use, but I guess in city its an overkill. Besides finding a right place to mount the bulky horn is also an issue. But anyways since I dont use my bike for city commuting, I think this horn is doing a fine job. In my enthusiasm for a good horn I had also picked up a Roots (Vibrasonic I guess) which is still in its box. Thats a loud horn and should do a good job in city and highway. Again I suggest you go to the shop and hear the horns outside the shop as they all sound super loud INSIDE the small shop. If you have a car they will connect it to your battery terminal and demo them for you.

Last edited by Haroon : 3rd February 2014 at 15:00.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:14   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
INDIAN HORNS:
Besides, in India the vehicle with the loudest horn has the 'right of way'.
Lovely post. Made me grin all the way. What you outlined is completely true. I fought the battle of " No Horn" usage and ashamed to confess that I lost it.

I now bieleve in that sayin' " If you can't beat 'em; join 'em"

My usage of horn is for people who blantantly disregard road manners and for jaywalkers who are perenially day-dreaming. My single most purpose of using a horn is to "save their lives" not mine

I like to go close to them and scare the bejesus of them hoping it wakes them up to reality of where they are and how they are putting themselves and not to mention others at risk with their utmost casual behaviour on road.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I understand what you mean. But, what did you do with the number plate handle? Just removed it from its original place? Hope it didnt leave any marks? Also, the number plate on the front mudguard is legal in India?
Avi,

Remember, mine is directly imported one and in Europe and West in general there are no requirement for MC to have a front number plate and hence there is no plate or bracket/handle to fix the number plate in front.

She never had front number display, till she was registered in Bangalore

However, layely I have read somewhere that in areas where all the speed/traffic cameras are on comming traffic facing - the local authorities may/are insistuing on a number being displayed in front.

I also seem to have raed that tonly the bikes that are on CKD route and hence requires homologation in India and in that process are required to have a front number plate and the Saree Guard ( not sure and only hearsay)

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:04   #101
BHPian

Comparison Report: Harley Davidson Iron 883 vs Triumph Bonneville

Nice comparo.

Although the Bonny does seem to come out ahead in your experience, the Harley badge is certainly a stronger tugger at the heart ! I am considering one of these as a 2nd bike as well. However despite its heritage want to wait and see the A.S.S. performance of Triumph !

And congratulations to absynthguzzler for his new ride !

Cheers.
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:50   #102
BHPian

congrats absynthguzzler for the new bike, you two look made for each other.

I cant wait for the mumbai showroom to open up, apparently it is just 10 odd days away, and see one in the flesh.

HD is too cultish for me, but in general, wouldn't the street 750 be a bigger competitor to the bonnie, especially if priced at under 5L OTR as promised?

and here's a funny review of the bonnie :
srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 05:44   #103
BHPian

Can somebody please confirm on the fuel quality requirements of both the bikes ? HD website says 91 Octane or higher for Iron 883.
Old 4th February 2014, 08:37   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Can somebody please confirm on the fuel quality requirements of both the bikes ? HD website says 91 Octane or higher for Iron 883.
No Idea about the Iron 883. But, the Triumph Bonneville is happy with regular fuel.
Old 4th February 2014, 09:57   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
No idea about the Bonne but Low compression engine like the 883 can even run on kerosene in emergencies. However don't try that at home . Normal Petrol is just fine for it.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks