Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 17:24   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh

Congratulations C_D on choosing a "Versatile Machine"

At the cost of repeating myself, I will say it again. It's a fantastic choice and you will never regret buying this motorcycle and is meant for keeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
After checking all of the bikes priced between 2 -10 lakhs, finally booked the Versys 650 today.
That's an interesting range. Which all you test rode or considered? Can you share? Perhaps, you would like to keep it while sharing your ownership report?

Quote:
Technically yesterday, as I paid the booking amount yesterday but ran into a last minute confusion with the Z800, so confirmed the Versys booking today.
What makes me wonder is how can someone think of a Z800 and a Versys in the same breathe? Both are as same as chalk and cheese

IMO, a new motorcycle buyer should first decide what "type" of motorcycle he wants to buy based on his interest/body type/riding style

Is it a naked bike?
Is it a sports bike?
Is it a Adv bike (new Category)?
Is it a retro? etc

Then once you know what you want from above then start shortlisting everything that is available in "your" budget and take test rides/read reviews to come up with a final choice. Simple !

No offense but, I would never compare a V with a Z800 even if it's just price related comparison.

Comparisons needs to be as close as possible (you know that saying; apples to apples or at least Himachal apples to Washington Apples (price based comparison)

Compare a V with a Tiger
Z800 with Street Tripple

Anyways, I'm just digressing, look forward to all your thought process via. your Ownership report

Quote:
Can't believe it still though! My first big bike.
Oh! I know that feeling. When I was selecting a big bike for first time and decided it's a Bonnie, that expression on my face of knowing THIS IS THE ONE is unforgettable and is embedded in my memory for eternity

And, that expression of mine was I think well captured in Post #1 of this thread. Isn't it?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3354264

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th November 2016 at 11:13. Reason: Grammar
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 19:50   #842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Congratulations on the booking CD. Riding a big bike is a very special feeling.

Now that you have finalised the bike, I hope you are looking at getting good riding gear too. Please do a proper research on it as it is very important.
Thank you. Riding gear will be purchased before the bike arrives. I'll need to start from scratch as I'm only having a helmet now (Vega Boolean) and that needs a replacement as well. Plan is as below -

Helmet + Jacket + Gloves + Touring pants for me.
Helmet + Jacket + Gloves + Knee guards for wife, who would join me for occasional rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congratulations C_D on choosing a "Versatile Machine"

That's an interesting range. Which all you test rode or considered?
The only bike I have ever owned was a Bajaj Pulsar 180, sold in 2013. And have been limited to riding wife's Hero Meastro scooter occasionally ever since.

So you can imagine how I would have looked at bikes. I started looking for a precision city tool, something that felt better than the P180, and not necessarily a big bike which I couldn't afford. The upcoming BMW 310 would have been a serious contender had it been launched on time.

At this point, I was looking at resting my car for office commutes by getting a good and affordable city bike. To my pleasant surprise, wife decided to fund the purchase as well if we got a big bike and the decision was taken to use car for office and get a big bike for weekends. Budget and priorities changed.

Quote:
What makes me wonder is how can someone think of a Z800 and a Versys in the same breathe? Both are same same as chalk and cheese
I know.

But my state was similar to a hungry kid looking at the bakery displays. I knew Versys was the perfect fit for me, but my heart stopped sending blood to my brain once the Z800 inline4 came to life. I went blank once again forgetting a month of research and decisions taken, thinking if I should compromise everything else just to get that sweet sounding monster in the garage.

Quote:
IMO, a new motorcycle buyer should first decide what "type" of motorcycle he wants to buy based on his interest/body type/riding style
And we finally come to the reason why I chose the Versys. None of the bikes could bring a smile to my face like the Benelli GT, Versys 1000 and the 650 could. May be the Street 750 as well, if it was a size bigger.

I might be able to tour on any of the good bikes out there, but when sitting on these bikes, I could see myself driving for miles together and still grinning from ear to ear. These machines feel my "type" from both brain and heart.

PS- V1000 was always out of budget. But a last minute mistake from the dealer left me with only the 1000 to test drive, after driving 66 kms one way for the TD event.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th November 2016 at 19:52.
Old 9th November 2016, 20:33   #843
BHPian

@CrAzY dRiVeR, So your kind of choice is an Inline 4 (sound) with touring abilities & comfortable seating for two under 8-9lakhs, isnt it? Having said that we have options like, Benelli 600GT, Kawa Ninja 1000 (above budget), Kawa Versys 1000 (above budget). You can tour on a naked bike too but with few compromises like wind blast & seating comfort, ofcourse we get few aftermarket setup to enhance the touring abilities but again it cannot match the comfort of Versys or Tiger. And coming to Benelli GT, no ABS, so its your risk. I personally suggest to stay away from non-ABS bikes.
Old 9th November 2016, 20:46   #844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpsharma View Post
Benelli GT, no ABS, so its your risk. I personally suggest to stay away from non-ABS bikes.
Agree with your points. Regarding the Benelli GT - ABS version is confirmed for December. But the real issue I have is the pricing and value, or the lack of it.

Currently it is priced at 7.3L OTR as compared to 7.7L for the Versys which means the ABS version would be priced at par. When they were launched, Benelli was all about the value proposition, but still fair enough, as Versys offers a good bike overall while the GT has the inline4 advantage.

But then, the Benelli requires you to go in for a service every 4 months or 4000 kms. And the service and parts cost seem to be fairly higher as well. That's more than twice the yearly expenditure as compared to maintaining a Versys.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th November 2016 at 20:47.
Old 10th November 2016, 12:01   #845
BHPian

Quote:
After checking all of the bikes priced between 2 -10 lakhs, finally booked the Versys 650 today.

Technically yesterday, as I paid the booking amount yesterday but ran into a last minute confusion with the Z800, so confirmed the Versys booking today.

Thanks to all who have helped me with their opinion on various bikes including the Versys. Finally I went with this choice that I feel will keep me happy for the longest period of time.

Can't believe it still though! My first big bike.
Congratulations on your booking (your 1st big bike) . Sorry I missed this post that you already booked, else woudn't have come up with my earlier post.

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th November 2016 at 15:25. Reason: Please avoid quoting emoticons. Thanks!
idpsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 21:38   #846
BHPian

Anybody heard anything about this?

Kawasaki and Bajaj break service agreement?

https://www.motorbeam.com/2016/11/bi...il-2017-scoop/

Last edited by orangelephant : 15th November 2016 at 21:42.
Old 16th November 2016, 11:17   #847
BHPian

What happens to service and spare support for Ninja 650, ER 6N n Versys 650.....
Old 18th November 2016, 07:41   #848
BHPian

Kawasaki Versys 2017

New colour schemes, gear position indicator and few other subtle changes.

Lets hope the India launch happens sooner than later. Also I'm not sure if it'll be launched at the same price.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-Versys-650-ABS

Mods: Please remove this if it was posted earlier.
Old 18th November 2016, 09:57   #849
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kawasaki Versys 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
Very minimal changes. Gear position indicator was available as an accessory earlier. The colour scheme is not very inspiring either!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 14:43   #850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post

Lets hope the India launch happens sooner than later. Also I'm not sure if it'll be launched at the same price.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-Versys-650-ABS.
Thank god, there are no major changes in 2017 model or I would not have been having a peaceful sleep

Gear Indicator :
Available as an after market accessory but, is very unstable as per online reviews so it's a good add-on but, nothing to lose your sleep over

Color Scheme : Just introduced the V1000 titanium color which I'm not too fond of. So this again is a moot point for me personally

I just wish they got those racy colors (Yellow, Orange and Green) then I might have stayed up a few nights
Old 18th November 2016, 15:00   #851
BHPian

But I think adding a gear indicator will help a little in city riding. So what options do we have if we want to add a good gear indicator (after market not OE?
Old 18th November 2016, 16:02   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank god, there are no major changes in 2017 model or I would not have been having a peaceful sleep
The Versys is scheduled receive a major update in 2017, much like the rest of the line up has (ala Ninja 650 and ER 6N).

But it will probably be launched towards the end of the year, much like the new line up announcements made towards the end of this year.

Old Scoop - http://www.morebikes.co.uk/30155/her...-2017-secrets/

Of course this is still rumours, but looking at what they have done with the Ninja 650 and 6N it makes a lot more sense that the V also get some updates.
Old 21st November 2016, 13:42   #853

Hi Praful, It seems No major Update for 2017 model. Apart from new graphics, they have updated the bike with Gear indicator.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh-versys-650.png  

Attached Images

Old 6th December 2016, 23:11   #854
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Any idea which dealer in Mumbai is offering test rides on the Versys 650?

Appreciate any leads.

Cheers
Old 7th December 2016, 00:39   #855
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Cyborg, none of the dealers in Mumbai are offering test rides on the Versys. One of the most stupidest policies I have ever come across.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks