Old 26th December 2018, 17:26   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs

VStrom 650 v/s Versys 650 -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 00:39   #137
BHPian

Test rode the bike last week, and I am so tempted to book one - except for that 4 month service interval, which would mean an annual service cost of more than 30k. That's quite atrocious. Am going to ask the dealer if warranty would be valid if we skip the service schedule.
pavanmadhini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:48   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Test rode the bike last week, and I am so tempted to book one - except for that 4 month service interval, which would mean an annual service cost of more than 30k. That's quite atrocious. Am going to ask the dealer if warranty would be valid if we skip the service schedule.
Anyone who has dealt with any Indian dealer would tell you the answer - Yes it will void warranty. Count the service cost in your overall cost of ownership before finalising the purchase and see whether it makes sense.
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:41   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. The bike's a rock solid performer but can't really justify this service schedule. It's a day light loot! Wonder how they even manage to explain it.
This has been the primary reason for me not to get the Wee.
Old 2nd January 2019, 19:19   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Texcept for that 4 month service interval, which would mean an annual service cost of more than 30k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Anyone who has dealt with any Indian dealer would tell you the answer - Yes it will void warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
can't really justify this service schedule. It's a day light loot! Wonder how they even manage to explain it.
My cousin who is looking for the bike in this segment enquired with the dealers here at Calicut, Kerala.

They have told him that most of the dealers in India have given their misgivings of this service schedule to Suzuki India.

As per their view Suzuki might revert to 6000 kms service schedule.
Vasuki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 19:23   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
As per their view Suzuki might revert to 6000 kms service schedule.
Even Benelli gave in to customer demand recently, changing the service schedules to 6 months / 6000 kms and publicizing the same as a 34% discount in their service costs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...s-service.html (Benelli announces 34% discount on after sales service)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 10:06   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Anyone who has dealt with any Indian dealer would tell you the answer - Yes it will void warranty. Count the service cost in your overall cost of ownership before finalising the purchase and see whether it makes sense.
Quote:
Agreed. The bike's a rock solid performer but can't really justify this service schedule. It's a day light loot! Wonder how they even manage to explain it.
This has been the primary reason for me not to get the Wee.

As Vasuki had mentioned I had called up the dealer/sales man of Karala and shared my concern regarding 4 month service interval. And as per the salesman they have taken up with Suzuki and will be shortly changing to at-least 6 months interval (maybe with 6k mileage interval too).

It has been a long time since V-Strom has been launched still no user reviews (by T-BHP standards 2 months is a long period for at-least 1 person to buy it) .
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 10:24   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
It has been a long time since V-Strom has been launched still no user reviews (by T-BHP standards 2 months is a long period for at-least 1 person to buy it) .
Few choose not to go public with their experiences, even when it is a positive one. Or maybe, they are too busy riding, working, but am sure, a line or two with pictures would be good, but any which ways.

The bike is good, cruises very comfortably, can do 1000kms a day with ease and the best part is, returns ~30 kilometers to a liter when kept between 80 -110 kmph [its hard for me to believe this, but believe one can accept if it has been ridden for 5,000 kms out of which 3,000+ was done as a single ride].

Rest, before committing, one should have a decent TR and decide for one self.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 17:40   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
And as per the salesman they have taken up with Suzuki and will be shortly changing to at-least 6 months interval (maybe with 6k mileage interval too).
Few days ago, I dropped a note regarding the service interval (and asking why not 6 months period) to the Suzuki India using the Contact us page in their website and even got a automatic response "We will get back to you blah blah".
But no real reply yet - looks like they want to play blind (and deaf!)

If it remains this way, I would most likely pick up a used bike in this segment or a little bigger one.
Old 4th January 2019, 18:32   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

it has been ridden for 5,000 kms out of which 3,000+ was done as a single ride
Exactly my concern - this bike is built to be ridden and ridden long. Can't keep servicing it every 2nd or 3rd month.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 14:05   #146
BHPian

Got a reply from the regional service manager. I am happy that Suzuki is much more receptive to suggestions!
Pasting here for folks to share:

Quote:
New year Greetings from Suzuki Motorcycle. Thanks for your query & sorry for delay in reply

With reference to your query, The service interval is kept looking at toughest riding conditions in India. This is not kept looking at generation of service revenue. We will be more happy to offer increased service interval schedule to our esteemed customers, if at all possible.

Even globally the service interval for this bike is at 6000 kms. We value your feedback on increasing the service interval schedule and will look into it appropriately.

Thanks for your valuable feedback & Feel free to contact us for further query
Old 12th January 2019, 15:38   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am happy that Suzuki is much more receptive to suggestions!
Good that they responded - but the real question if they would respond to all the feedback or not!

It is pretty obvious now that they are receiving this concern from various sources - so hopefully we will get to see some results soon.
Old 12th January 2019, 16:55   #148

Quote:
Got a reply from the regional service manager. I am happy that Suzuki is much more receptive to suggestions!

Pasting here for folks to share:

I really wish they increase it to 6k. If they are going to do it based on the requests they get, I am going to send one as well.
Old 13th January 2019, 10:52   #149
BHPian

My humble 2 cents.....
Jap bikes these days with fuel injection and all the electronics dont need a whole lot of servicing.
Changing engine oil, oil filter, lubing chain, checking wear on chain, sprocket, brakes, rotors, tires, and shocks can all be done in under an hour. I use a cycle pump to fill air. Great free workout!
The costs I see here for servicing are very close/on par with what one gets charged in the US. Add on the time value of money to schedule, dropoff bike, wait, and pickup. It gets expensive for people who stretch their budget for a nice ride.
I would say it is high time Indian bikers install a center stand, and start doing scheduled services on their own. Tools needed are minimal, and task is simple. YouTube is a great teacher. I have not taken any of my bikes for regular servicing in the last 20 years. I can post pictures and time estimate of each task, it is a simple 30 minute job.

When I sense too many things need replacing, I add up the costs, and end up selling the bike if it's too much.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2019, 11:39   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
My humble 2 cents.....
You're talking to the wind mate.

The hesitance/reluctance to get ones own hands dirty is a cultural thing that won't change anytime soon.

But one thing I'd like to know is, would the manufacturer honor warranty claims if you don't service the bike at the ASS?

Asking as in India the warranty goes for a toss the moment you skip a scheduled service, which makes the whole warranty system a hoax because for most motorcycles a complete engine rebuild won't cost as much money as what they'd charge for a years service.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 13th January 2019 at 11:41.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks