Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2018, 11:18   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs

Now bookings open -

Quote:
Interestingly Suzuki dealers are only accepting bookings for the standard version for now as they are unsure if the V-Strom 650 XT will be launched next month.
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...ommence/31787/
Old 3rd September 2018, 22:32   #32
BHPian

Champion Yellow #2 and Pearl Glacier White are the only two options in the XT variant as of now.
No known plans for the standard version.
All first lot bikes are sold out, and people have paid upto 8L in advance for the bikes that hit the showrooms on the 10th, as I had said some month or weeks ago.
If they are accepting 50k from you, that only means you will get the bike in the second lot of deliveries from their factory. They have quite a few in hand, just limited stock in showrooms now.
9L remains the benchmark number for OTR, Mumbai.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 23:59   #33
BHPian

Thanks for the heads-up KD sir. Bummer to known I won't get one from the first lot but then I wasn't going to spend all that money without sitting on one and figuring if my 6'3 frame would fit well on an 835mm saddle. Wanted to make sure it was tall enough.

None the less, I am completely sold on the bike otherwise. Think I know what to expect and ADVrider inmates claim it to be a good overall performer. Nothing too crazy to expect. Simple mechanics, decent build, good reliability and good price point. One main negative has been the shoddy front suspension.

If any of you are like me and need a good review of the bike, check this one out. Puts things into perspective.

sharkbait is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 08:19   #34
BHPian

https://www.stromtrooper.com/ is also a great site for any Vstrom support.

The front suspension can be fixed with a fork brace and racetech springs. Also depends on your weight and type of riding. Otherwise your looking at a bike that has had some evolutionary changes since 2011.
Bhatman510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 10:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
https://www.stromtrooper.com/ is also a great site for any Vstrom support.

The front suspension can be fixed with a fork brace and racetech springs. Also depends on your weight and type of riding. Otherwise your looking at a bike that has had some evolutionary changes since 2011.
Stromtrooper is a great resource.
Also, gearing up for the launch, what are the recommended aluminium panniers and top cases for the '18 Wee? Any good sources that ship to India? And what are the must have accessories?
Old 4th September 2018, 20:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Stromtrooper is a great resource.
Also, gearing up for the launch, what are the recommended aluminium panniers and top cases for the '18 Wee? Any good sources that ship to India? And what are the must have accessories?

For panniers, what do you prefer? Soft bags or hard cases? Im a sucker for SW Motech, but theres also Touratech and also Givi. I rode with Cortech 15L softbags for my S.India tour, they and SW Motech make some great soft-bags. Hard-cases require a bit more fitment with rack frames to your rear sub-frame.

twistedthrottle.com is your best bet for ordering accessories for the Strom. Probably can enquire about shipments. (I also dont mind helping TBHPians )

Accessories, probably wanna get a skidplate, especially with the road conditions. Skidplates install is fun since the exhaust and oil filter are in the way, but not too bad.

Hand-guards come stock, there decent for wind deflection, not so much for anything else. Windscreen may be a bit low, the aftermarket windscreen market (MRA or SW) is good alternatives.

Definitely throw a leg over the bike and check out how you feel on it. May have to adjust preload on the rear shock (adjuster knob near the exhaust). Otherwise have fun!
Bhatman510 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 09:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
For panniers, what do you prefer? Soft bags or hard cases? Im a sucker for SW Motech, but theres also Touratech and also Givi. I rode with Cortech 15L softbags for my S.India tour, they and SW Motech make some great soft-bags. Hard-cases require a bit more fitment with rack frames to your rear sub-frame.

twistedthrottle.com is your best bet for ordering accessories for the Strom. Probably can enquire about shipments. (I also dont mind helping TBHPians )

Accessories, probably wanna get a skidplate, especially with the road conditions. Skidplates install is fun since the exhaust and oil filter are in the way, but not too bad.

Hand-guards come stock, there decent for wind deflection, not so much for anything else. Windscreen may be a bit low, the aftermarket windscreen market (MRA or SW) is good alternatives.
How well do softbags work without a backplate or a frame holding them? Do they dangle around too much? Also, curious of how weatherproof they actually are? Can they withstand heavy rain and dust?

Regarding the screen, from whatever I've read over at AVDR and StromTroopers, most people seem to agree that for a tallish rider, the wind buffeting is quite severe with the stock screen and or alternative after market products. In fact, some even recommend riding without a screen or getting a lower one. What's the deal with that?

If I do procure the bike, I was definitely thinking of adding luggage (soft/hard), center stand, skid plate, crash guard, radiator guard, top box that doubles up as a back rest for a pillion so will need to be flat and installed as far back as possible to give enough comfort seating, some bar risers and or footpeg lowering kit and a RAM / phone mount. Any other must haves? Obviously will procure these in phases, but that's the overall plan to get going.

Thoughts?
Old 5th September 2018, 11:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
How well do softbags work without a backplate or a frame holding them? Do they dangle around too much? Also, curious of how weatherproof they actually are? Can they withstand heavy rain and dust?
Since the V-Strom has a rear monoshock, there is nothing for the soft bags to rest against. You should install a side carrier for the soft bags so that they are secure. I'm of the opinion that you should get relatively inexpensive waterproof soft bags like the Dirtsack Frogman. Bags will get damaged at some point. However of you must spend for a premium bag, do consider the Enduristan Monsoon 3. Both these bags will withstand any weather. One small consideration. You will also have to measure and see how to mount this as the bike has an upswept exhaust.

https://www.amazon.in/DIRTSACK-Frogm...dp/B01HGBUNFC/

https://bigbadbikes.com/product/endu...side-carriers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait
Regarding the screen, from whatever I've read over at AVDR and StromTroopers, most people seem to agree that for a tallish rider, the wind buffeting is quite severe with the stock screen and or alternative after market products. In fact, some even recommend riding without a screen or getting a lower one. What's the deal with that?
I think the opinion is mixed on this one and buffeting is relative for every rider. The XT does have an adjustable screen so you should try all settings before you do anything. I've seen people install wind deflectors on top of the windscreen You should consider this option as well although my personal experience was that it seemed like a placebo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait
If I do procure the bike, I was definitely thinking of adding luggage (soft/hard), center stand, skid plate, crash guard, radiator guard, top box that doubles up as a back rest for a pillion so will need to be flat and installed as far back as possible to give enough comfort seating, some bar risers and or footpeg lowering kit and a RAM / phone mount.
Thoughts?
A center stand is a must to simplify chain lubing and puncture repair. I would definitely look at engine protection. I personally don't like hard cases and top boxes as they add to the bulk and are extremely expensive. I wouldn't change the ergonomics (bar risers and footpegs) for the first few thousand kms till I'm convinced of the need. A RAM mount is a necessity. I have the X-Grip which grips like a leech.

I would also look at an exhaust change (most probably a slip-on) as a great sound is extremely important for me but I would look for something that does not void warranty. And a good horn as most of the bikes come with a wimpy OEM horn.

I am personally very keenly following this thread as the XT seems like the perfect middleweight for our road conditions on paper. I would have loved to get the Tiger but 17L for the XCX is simply outrageous

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 5th September 2018 at 11:28.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 13:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Since the V-Strom has a rear monoshock, there is nothing for the soft bags to rest against. You should install a side carrier for the soft bags so that they are secure.
Do you have any recommendation for a side carrier? I am personally leaning towards the softbags cause I've had one for years from Cramster, but then I haven't really put them to good use cause the 350 has never really yielded itself to any good long distance touring in the country. Although the aluminum panniers are extremely versatile and good looking and definitely add up the bulk and protection towards the rear, I wouldn't mind a set of light softbags too. The challenge would be to pick one that works with the exhaust clearances.

Quote:
A center stand is a must to simplify chain lubing and puncture repair. I would definitely look at engine protection. I personally don't like hard cases and top boxes as they add to the bulk and are extremely expensive. I wouldn't change the ergonomics (bar risers and footpegs) for the first few thousand kms till I'm convinced of the need. A RAM mount is a necessity. I have the X-Grip which grips like a leech.
I am curious about the top box. I was thinking of getting a love profile one to double up as a backrest/support for the pillion and I was hoping i'd leave the topbox always on to allow for easy packing of random things that I want to store for everyday use. Are there any recommended ones that are preferably made of metal and have a good enough profile to match the looks of the bike and are hopefully flat to allow for pillion support?

Quote:
I would also look at an exhaust change (most probably a slip-on) as a great sound is extremely important for me but I would look for something that does not void warranty. And a good horn as most of the bikes come with a wimpy OEM horn.
Check out this Arrow system. Its got the sweetest sound of all the exhaust notes I've heard so far online, but then its probably the quality of the recording also.

This and the Akra are definitely contenders if sound is a priority but they will be in my consideration in phase 2 of procurement for me after a couple of months/kms.

Quote:
I am personally very keenly following this thread as the XT seems like the perfect middleweight for our road conditions on paper. I would have loved to get the Tiger but 17L for the XCX is simply outrageous
Same here. All the 800's seem to be overpriced by about 5-7 lakhs. This Suzuki is a winner where ever I've looked. Fingers crossed it wont be too short for me.

Another question, does anyone know what fuel these bikes take? Just regular fuel or high octane?
sharkbait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 14:18   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've ridden a friend's Strom DL1000 with a Givi Airflow screen and it kind of cocooned me behind it. I started sweating in Konkan's humid weather after a while. Looks like this:

The Suzuki V-Strom 650XT, now launched at Rs 7.46 lakhs-givi.jpg
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 20:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another question, does anyone know what fuel these bikes take? Just regular fuel or high octane?
Regular fuel works just fine in most superbikes in India - ofcourse if you can get Speed 97 or Power 99 - the bike just flies.

PS: this has been the experience with Z800, Z900 & Multistrada
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 21:10   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
VStorm 650 has a relaxed compression ratio of 11.5:1. Don't worry much about fuel.

Duke 390 for example has 12.6:1
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 22:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:

If I do procure the bike, I was definitely thinking of adding luggage (soft/hard), center stand, skid plate, crash guard, radiator guard, top box that doubles up as a back rest for a pillion so will need to be flat and installed as far back as possible to give enough comfort seating, some bar risers and or footpeg lowering kit and a RAM / phone mount. Any other must haves? Obviously will procure these in phases, but that's the overall plan to get going.

Thoughts?
For a top box, depending on the use case, I have a Givi Maxia which is a 55L top case. It can carry a full size helmet, or all my work gear. If your touring a 30L top case would be fine. The 2018 Strom has a plate already for a top case bracket, so that makes it easier to install. Soft cases are easier to deal with, can some what get away with bracing.

Crash guard/Bars are pretty easy to install and get online. Center stand is a decent option, should be able to get the OEM center stand (install is a PITA).

Are you able to flat foot or put your balls of your feet down when sitting on the bike? The stock footpegs are already decently spaced. Bar risers also means you need to adjust the brake,clutch lines.

I totally forgot that Madstad makes a windscreen deflector, which helps with the buffeting. The fork brace I mentioned earlier also helps with the buffeting.
Old 5th September 2018, 22:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up KD sir. Bummer to known I won't get one from the first lot but then

Has anyone asked their Dealer what's the service interval for the bike. As when I called Dream Suzuki, I was told its 4000 KMS for every service.

Kindly confirm if that's true. Because 4000 KMS service interval will be a bummer for a Adv bike.

I am waiting for the launch desperately too. May be I will hop on the Suzuki Bandwagon if the pricing is good.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th September 2018 at 22:35. Reason: Please avoid quoting youtube links for replies. Thanks.
Old 5th September 2018, 22:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Has anyone asked their Dealer what's the service interval for the bike. As when I called Dream Suzuki, I was told its 4000 KMS for every service.
I asked this question and got an unconfirmed answer of 6000 kms. This is only unconfirmed because none of this is published yet for our country. Internationally though, for the Euro spec bike which should hit our shores, 6k seems to be the norm. All this should be confirmed in the coming week though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks