Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2021, 07:51   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

A thought and question for those who would like to keep both in their garage. When the generation 3 is so much better, almost in all aspects but still retains the original flavour, when it’s time to pick up the keys, would you still reach for the generation 2? And if so, how would you divide the rides?

Cheers
The short answer is, there is absolutely no reason to pick the Gen 2 now that the Gen 3 is available. The Gen 3 does everything better.

When I bought my Gen 2 a decade ago, I kept my Gen 1 thinking I would take it out once a while to reminisce old school riding. I hardly did. It just felt old. And there were not alot of changes from the Gen 1 to the Gen 2. The 3 from 2 is on a different level.

Having said that, unfortunately in India, 90% of prospective buyers of the Gen 3 will not appreciate the enhancements made over the Gen 2.

The reason is two fold.

Firstly, most of them bought the Gen 2 Hayabusa because it had the biggest bragging rights. Thanks to that crappy bolly wood movie and the fact that Suzuki had the first mover advantage back in 2008 when they officially launched the Gen2. It was the coolest bike ever for everyone. So they bought it and crashed it all over the place and then sold it. ( The only other legal superbikes at that time were the R1 and the MT 01. No one knew what a MT01 was and the R1 was priced at a premium.)

Secondly, most of them were not riders but buyers. The season went, so did the flavour. Plus newer manufacturers came in and offered updated models.

Now with the Gen 3, something new and cool has again come up. Plus, it's a Hayabusa so the bragging rights still count. Also, there is effectively no competition in the hyper category anymore unless ofcourse Kawasaki plans to come out with a 1500 cc zzr. I doubt that will ever happen but that would be awesome.

So the flash boys are happy they have a new toy and Suzuki is happy they have a hit on their hands.

In another news, the Gen 3 is making around 186 hp at the wheel with just a pipe and filter change. Once the ECU gets unlocked, we looking at a smudge under 200. What an awesome time to be a Hayabusa fan.

Last edited by bigron : 2nd August 2021 at 07:56.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:50   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Having said that, my çurrent bike is devoid of any electronic aid, not even an abs system. So a simple spray of water on the road tends to make the bike skittish. There is absolutely no safety barrier other than your right wrist and your guardian angel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
The short answer is, there is absolutely no reason to pick the Gen 2 now that the Gen 3 is available. When I bought my Gen 2 a decade ago, I kept my Gen 1 thinking I would take it out once a while to reminisce old school riding. I hardly did. It just felt old. And there were not alot of changes from the Gen 1 to the Gen 2. The 3 from 2 is on a different level.
Thank you once again Bigron! Appreciate your thoughts and experience sharing. Love gaining an education into the Busa world.

Perhaps it’s time to move on by giving your guardian angel a rest from continuous duties. Selling the generation 2 and picking up the generation 3 in the interest of safety and practicality.

I can understand the love and the fact you have modified your generation 2 to another level but I am sure you will find a buyer who will pay top dollar for your bike with the visceral experience. Reading your thoughts/feelings on the generation 3, I feel it won’t hurt so bad in some time. History would probably repeat itself as with your generation 1 and 2 experience if both would be there in your garage and I suppose it would be the same for most other owners too.

It would be great if you could list out the modifications you have done on your generation 2 for our benefit. If you have posted it elsewhere and I have missed it, apologies for asking again. Please post it again or direct me to the earlier modification post/s.

Ride safe.

Cheers

P.S. - A plan is in motion, maybe I will get to ride the generation 3 this month. Fingers crossed

Last edited by Cyborg : 2nd August 2021 at 13:51.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 19:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

Did something crazy but quite satisfying today

A few days ago heard someone down my lane has bought the generation 3 in the matt silver/red colour. Loved the colour in the flesh, felt it would be better than the black one. Saw the bike parked in his building compound, entered the building and rang the doorbell of a flat I assumed to be the owners. Assumption was correct, luckily owner opened the door, requested him if he could start up and show me his bike. Very nice person, he immediately agreed and came out. Crazy story leading up to the viewing over, now about the bike

I had seen the generation 2 in the flesh ages ago, so my recollection may be poor. I remember it as quite a portly, rather large looking and imposing machine. The generation 3 to my eyes seemed like a skilled surgeon has gone to work to make it look much younger. She looked svelte, compact and very very sexy. Really unbelievable to see how a 266 kilogram bike manages to look like like a toned, muscled athlete rather than a sumo wrestler.

Sounding so smooth/muted on ignition, started up around 1500/1700 rpm and settled around the 1000 rpm mark, sounding so soft, gentle even, it may be said. I requested if I could get on the saddle, he readily agreed. Sitting position, seat, reach to the bars felt so comfortable, did not feel it to be in any way aggressive. Sat on it for only 30 seconds though. The analog dials looked clean, digital dash was crisp and easy to read with a lot of data on a relatively small screen but did not feel in any way cramped or difficult to read inspite of my quick look. Even a new owner would be home with the instrumentation very fast.

The owner mentioned he is finding her to be very quiet and was going to get Akrapovic cans in sometime. I think I would be happy with things as they are sound wise, maybe if the end cans would have been a shade slimmer she would look even better to my eyes.

Cost on road Mumbai is INR 19,35,000, the first lot owners got the rear seat cowl free, second batch onwards would have to additionally shell out INR 30,000 if they want one.

That’s it folks, my observation in a very short time. Hope to ride it in the near future.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 14th August 2021 at 19:48. Reason: Added text.
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 21:56   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Its Gut wrenching to see a beauty go through all this pain for no sensical reason.

The hayabusa would always remain my wet dream.
But I would treat her with respect as and when I get a chance feel her.
Old 24th August 2021, 06:35   #110
BHPian

Well, didn't take too long for the inevitable to happen.

2021 used Busa for sale in Delhi. The first batch was launched in April and second in July. Given the lockdowns and all, I wonder how many kms did the first owner even ride? I am really puzzled, unless the bike belonged to a vlogger or influencer who is done with all the content creation.

@Cyborg - I know you were looking for one. Seems to be clean. are you interested?

2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh-screenshot_20210824090413_instagram.jpg

Last edited by no_fear : 24th August 2021 at 06:39.
no_fear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 15:41   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
@Cyborg - I know you were looking for one. Seems to be clean. are you interested?
Thank you no_fear for keeping my interest in mind. I have not even had a chance to ride one yet, owning one is not on the agenda at all in the foreseeable future. I am very curious about it because of its history and the positivity surrounding it. In my 35+ years of riding, ridden or tried many bikes, just never had the chance to sample this one

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 15:56   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Well, didn't take too long for the inevitable to happen.
Standby for - “FIRST USED 3RD GEN BUSA DELIVERY” posts on social media.

Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 18:09   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Standby for - “FIRST USED 3RD GEN BUSA DELIVERY” posts on social media.

It is very likely. Given the immense popularity and the demand for the bike, I won't be surprised if this headline pops up.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 10:46   #114
BHPian

A certain ‘peregrine falcon’ is incoming. Swooping down and attacking the heart! A lifelong dream is coming to fruition.

2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh-57c2e6feda0f4975bfd17c4705949488.jpeg
GoBlue is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 11:24   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
A certain ‘peregrine falcon’ is incoming. Swooping down and attacking the heart!
Congratulations buddy! Amazing colour, I reckon this is most difficult to book or the white one maybe. Was this booked in the second batch in July? Seeing a few new Hayabusa deliveries these days on social media.

Ride safe, treat us with delivery pics and keep us updated on the ownership please.
camitesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 14:19   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Amazing colour, I reckon this is most difficult to book or the white one maybe. Was this booked in the second batch in July? Seeing a few new Hayabusa deliveries these days on social media.
Thanks!

Suzuki India has divided a lot of 100 bikes into 60 (Black) : 30 (Silver) : 10 (White). This is speculation/indication provided by dealers, not a confirmed input. This was apparently based on consumer demand, black has the highest demand while silver and white have the lowest.

While the colour has nothing much to do with exclusivity of the bike as such, it's the silly YouTube vloggers who keep claiming that they have a "rare white" or a "rare silver". Nothing stops anyone from booking either colour - there's nothing to it besides deliberate exaggeration.

While my bike is from the 2nd lot of 100 bikes, I booked it in the last week. I'm not someone who can book a bike and wait 4-5 months for the delivery. Max 1-2 weeks is the patience that I can muster. This particular bike/crate was booked by someone who chose not to take delivery. The factory packed crate was offered to me and I chose to pick it up.

As for the colours, I've seen all 3 in-person before deciding. The black looks great only when it's detailed. Swirls, scratches and smudge marks come very quickly on the tank and body panels and then it looks terrible. Only if one is into DiY detailing should one go for the black, else it needs to be sent to a detailing studio atleast once a month. Which is not for me, a bike is meant to be ridden and easily maintainable, elbow greasing body panels is not something I have time/passion for.

Also, one of the other disadvantages of the black is that it hides the cuts/creases of the beautiful body work. This is not the case with the Silver/White.

The white looks extremely ordinary in-person. My previous choice was the white, after looking at pictures, but I did not like it. Also within a single ride, the white body panels pick up dust/grime which is to be found aplenty on our roads. Again, not my preference to buy a bike and keep washing/cleaning more than riding.

The Matte Silver is the perfect middle-ground which is India friendly to maintain (after a mandatory ceramic coat) and allows one to appreciate the bike's design language.

I would've loved for Suzuki to offer the Gen 3 in a deep blue colour (similar to the Gen 2 Blue colour), but one can't have everything.

Last edited by GoBlue : 28th December 2021 at 14:35.
GoBlue is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 14:54   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A certain ‘peregrine falcon’ is incoming. Swooping down and attacking the heart!
Congratulations GoBlue! This colour looks absolutely smashing in person on a anyways gorgeous bike. Look forward to to your meticulous review as in the past. When are you getting delivery?

Please remove that hideous number plate bracket from the mudguard and put a sticker like in the old days. If the cops catch you, consider the “fine/s” as an inclusion in the buying price

Fly safe friend!

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 17:24   #118
BHPian

Quote:

While my bike is from the 2nd lot of 100 bikes, I booked it in the last week. I'm not someone who can book a bike and wait 4-5 months for the delivery. Max 1-2 weeks is the patience that I can muster. This particular bike/crate was booked by someone who chose not to take delivery. The factory packed crate was offered to me and I chose to pick it up.

As for the colours, I've seen all 3 in-person before deciding. The black looks great only when it's detailed. Swirls, scratches and smudge marks come very quickly on the tank and body panels and then it looks terrible. Only if one is into DiY detailing should one go for the black, else it needs to be sent to a detailing studio atleast once a month. Which is not for me, a bike is meant to be ridden and easily maintainable, elbow greasing body panels is not something I have time/passion for.
That’s really amazing! I couldn’t imagine one getting a new Hayabusa in such a short time at least in 2021, especially in these times of chip shortages and limited vehicle batches.

As an owner of a glossy black car, I completely agree with you. Even a good ceramic coating (which i did to my new car) doesn’t really protect it all that well over a period of time. Anyway, good luck and ride safe buddy!
camitesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 21:08   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A certain ‘peregrine falcon’ is incoming. Swooping down and attacking the heart! A lifelong dream is coming to fruition.
Congratulations GoBlue! Im sure most of us bikers have dreamed of owning the Hayabusa, in at least one of its iterations, at some point or other in our childhood. Its great to see a fellow enthusiast from the forum picking up one. I agree with your thought process on the colour schemes. Somehow this latest generation Busa is a little finicky when it comes to colours, whereas the older one looked good in almost all the colours that it was offered in. I hope we will be treated to a cracking ownership review from you in 2022.

Will the Africa Twin stay? If it does, you will have a fabulous two bike garage!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 00:20   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Im sure most of us bikers have dreamed of owning the Hayabusa, in at least one of its iterations, at some point or other in our childhood.
To be honest, I am partial to Suzuki motorcycles. The GSX S1000 has been a dream bike. While I've always loved the concept of the Hayabusa and the iconic status that it had, I was not much of a fan of the older generation Hayabusa. I do not like barebones motorcycles when it comes to ownership, there're already so many hazards on the roads, riding a 1300cc bike with just ABS is batshit scary. Also, the design of the older generation Busas was too round-ish for my taste.

All of that changed when Suzuki launched the Gen 3 Hayabusa in 2021. The evolution of that bulbous design into what the Gen 3 is today is just fantastic. It is unbelievable how sharp and sexy the motorcycle looks in person. While the rear is still a bit reminiscent of the older bulbousness, it is nowhere close to it. The biggest change in the Gen 3 is the build quality, cycle parts and electronics. It is absolutely impeccable. Gen 3 is finally what the Gen 1/Gen 2 came extremely close to, but did not succeed in being - a complete package.

To be fair, I have always been a fan of big and bulky sport tourers. 200 kg liter class super-sports do not feel close to the heart (atleast to me, personally). I am not into aggressive street riding/track usage, which is why these bikes do not make sense.

Having ridden the Africa Twin which weighs 260-265 kg (with crash guards) has helped to realize how easy it is to manage the weight once on the move. The stability and planted feel which that weight lends to the bike is amazing.

Quote:
I hope we will be treated to a cracking ownership review from you in 2022.
It is going to be extremely difficult to do justice to an iconic motorcycle like the Hayabusa with an ownership review. Will surely try.

Quote:
Will the Africa Twin stay? If it does, you will have a fabulous two bike garage!
Yes, the Africa Twin shall continue to be a part of the garage. It is another iconic motorcycle that continues to amaze. The build quality is scintillating, nothing much to discern between competing European ADVs (is in fact 2-3 scales higher quality than many).

I'm seeing some triple/four cylinder ADVs entering the market that are making 150+ HP (looking at you Tiger 1200 and Multistrada V4), but to be fair, it's not much fun riding an ADV fast. The kind of dynamics that a street bike has shall remain unique. The only other product that excites me in the ADV space is the S1000XR, which is again a sports tourer.

The purpose of having two motorcycles in the garage is to have both complement each other in terms of riding pleasure. While the Africa Twin is a great bike in it's own right, I am not a fan of twin cylinder engines in isolation. That is where the Hayabusa steps in with perhaps one of the best production Inline 4 engines to ever exist in motorcycling history. That pleasure, of riding an ICBM with wheels and analogue dials, is going to be unique/special. As most of us motorcycle enthusiasts already know (but refuse to admit to our inner self) - one motorcycle cannot give all pleasures.

Both bikes would be lifetime keepers, shall have a permanent place in the garage.

Let me end this post by sharing a teaser.

2021 Suzuki Hayabusa launched at Rs. 16.40 lakh-7f33957c777a4c3cb4e73bebc1c457ea.jpg

Last edited by GoBlue : 1st January 2022 at 00:48.
GoBlue is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks