Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 09:15   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Manish, from all the guys you know that own the official R1's & MT's, how many are still riding without fear?
well strangely not many are riding much , wonder why !
its shocking to find non official bikes being removed more often than the official ones.
i have heard that even if its an official bike the DRI people can seize the bikes to find out if its actually official. This can take at least a week to 10 days for them to verify if the bike has been bought from the showroom or not.
this is what i heard .
Old 24th March 2009, 15:58   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishasrani View Post
well strangely not many are riding much , wonder why !
its shocking to find non official bikes being removed more often than the official ones.
i have heard that even if its an official bike the DRI people can seize the bikes to find out if its actually official. This can take at least a week to 10 days for them to verify if the bike has been bought from the showroom or not.
this is what i heard .
Well thats a nice question, Actually the reason is not that and moreover if people catch a bike which is taken from the showroom you just need to show a paper i.e., The letter from the transport and surface ministry of india stating the bike is homologated to indian standards, and 1 more important way to find out whether a bike is legal or not is to check the RC book wherein in a non-legal bike the manufacturers name will be as"YAMAHA MOTOR JAPAN LTD" whereas in the legal bike it will be as"YAMAHA MOTOR INDIA LTD". and not to mention the cops in bangalore have gone crazy. They just did not catch the new skyline and F430, other than that all the cars and bikes were penalized and moreover most of the bikes seized. The bikes seized were The best 2006 busa which had 3 different bodykits i.e., yellow,white and black and a gsxr 1000 and a RD350 2 shoguns 4 honda dio's, and even the supra was penalized for a defective silencer. I just want to tell all the bangalore bikers please dont take your superbikes out on saturdays and even if you do please dont go near cubbon road, and for that matter maybe any bike they harass you like hell, better be careful my fellow bikers.
Old 24th March 2009, 16:22   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huwaeiguy View Post
Well thats a nice question, Actually the reason is not that and moreover if people catch a bike which is taken from the showroom you just need to show a paper i.e., The letter from the transport and surface ministry of india stating the bike is homologated to indian standards, and 1 more important way to find out whether a bike is legal or not is to check the RC book wherein in a non-legal bike the manufacturers name will be as"YAMAHA MOTOR JAPAN LTD" whereas in the legal bike it will be as"YAMAHA MOTOR INDIA LTD". and not to mention the cops in bangalore have gone crazy. They just did not catch the new skyline and F430, other than that all the cars and bikes were penalized and moreover most of the bikes seized. The bikes seized were The best 2006 busa which had 3 different bodykits i.e., yellow,white and black and a gsxr 1000 and a RD350 2 shoguns 4 honda dio's, and even the supra was penalized for a defective silencer. I just want to tell all the bangalore bikers please dont take your superbikes out on saturdays and even if you do please dont go near cubbon road, and for that matter maybe any bike they harass you like hell, better be careful my fellow bikers.
That's disgusting. Such cops should be shot.
Old 24th March 2009, 21:11   #1384
Senior - BHPian

I don't quite understand the concept of Legal & Non-legal imports. Its not that bikes were sneaked into the country without the officials knowing about it, right?

And isn't it just common sense that if a biker has papers to show the bike was picked from a showroom,the verification ought to be quite simple based on the VIN # ?
Old 24th March 2009, 22:07   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I don't quite understand the concept of Legal & Non-legal imports. Its not that bikes were sneaked into the country without the officials knowing about it, right?

And isn't it just common sense that if a biker has papers to show the bike was picked from a showroom,the verification ought to be quite simple based on the VIN # ?
Are you expecting to say that to our friendly cops?
Old 24th March 2009, 22:11   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Cops don't bother about anything other than PUC, License and RC book. They will never ask for duty and import papers.
Old 24th March 2009, 23:27   #1387
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishasrani View Post
this is what i heard .
The DRI, or as a matter of fact any govt department thinks of Jack & Yamaha India on a similar ground. If Jack can evade duty, so can Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki etc
So, the DRI picks up the official bike for scrutiny. In the meantime, the owner would usually request the company concerned (Yamaha/Honda/etc) to forward the corresponding import documents of his bike to the DRI which would ensure everything is in place like they would do for any other bike.
Once everything is clean and sorted out, and if everything is clear I'm told the DRI returns the bike with a letter of apology for inconvenience caused.

Thr above has happened to someone who I rode with a long time back. His BMW F650 which he had bought from VAMA was picked up for scrutiny back in 2003 and returned after a couple of weeks.

manson.
Old 24th March 2009, 23:43   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Are you expecting to say that to our friendly cops?
My question is- Then what do you tell the cops, when you get pulled over? How do you define a bike thats legal? One that has all duties paid,and has clear papers?

Quote:
Cops don't bother about anything other than PUC, License and RC book. They will never ask for duty and import papers.
I see. Then who does the asking? Do the cops stop bikers(those on imports, I mean) and ask them to go to the police station ? Not sure how this works,hence the questions.

Also,if a bike is brought into the country, and all the right procedures are followed, can the bike ( at any later point) become non-legal, through something done to the bike by any of the users?
Old 25th March 2009, 10:07   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
hi straight6 what you are telling was happening before a month. According to the info which i have got there was a meeting by the 3big wigs of superbikes i.e., HONDA,YAMAHA & SUZUKI and the theme was how to resolve the issue of the illegal superbikes as they are spoiling their business. The end result the cops are being paid by these big wigs, btw the money paid is not official hope you understand, so they are just seizing all the vehicles they get and moreover they have dual income i.e., from the companies also and even from the person who is riding the bike. For example on saturday when they seized the busa the cops asked for Rs 8000, just imagine how woul dit have been. My view on this is that all the superbikes in the country which have come through the non official route and not fully duty paid should be made to pay duty so that these problems dont happen to the people like me who have spent 12 lakhs on a superbike, and biggest thing to happen is the exhausts. As we all know that people in india are not happy with the bike even with so much power, we just want to put exhasut, PC III,airfilter and all the goodies. But the cops just tell that it is defective whereas in other countries we get street legal exhausts even if we use them here the cops catch the bikes and are penalised, for this thing to go off the scene, we need educated cops. Atleast people who can nderstand what we try to tell them.Mods please forgive me if i am writing a something non-valid here.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:05   #1390
BHPian

Great!

@nandishpal > Amazing pics dude! Just love the B-King as all, it's one of the most Macho lookin mean machines IMHO..! love the fat tires, the ABS, the looks.. love it all.

Also, just read on a blog that Yam's planning to launch FZ1 in India soon..
Quote:
Yamaha is believed to have sent the FZ1 for homologation in India. If Yamaha brings the FZ1 as SKD (Semi Knocked Down) kit instead of CKD, it would undercut the price of Honda CB1000R which is the cheapest imported litre-class bike.
Good news, right ?
Old 25th March 2009, 17:07   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
My question is- Then what do you tell the cops, when you get pulled over? How ...........ny of the users?
COPS dont catch you check customs papers, they have other infractions in mind

Quote:
hi straight6 what you are telling was happening before a month. According to the info which i have got there was a meeting by the 3big wigs of superbikes i.e., HONDA,YAMAHA & SUZUKI and the theme was how to resolve the issue of the illegal superbikes as they are spoiling their business. The end result the cops are being paid by these big wigs, btw the money paid is not official hope you understand, so they are just seizing all the vehicles they get and moreover they have dual income i.e., from the companies also and even from the person who is riding the bike. For example on saturday when they seized the busa the cops asked for Rs 8000, just imagine how woul dit have been. My view on this is that all the superbikes in the country which have come through the non official route and not fully duty paid should be made to pay duty so that these problems dont happen to the people like me who have spent 12 lakhs on a superbike, and biggest thing to happen is the exhausts. As we all know that people in india are not happy with the bike even with so much power, we just want to put exhasut, PC III,airfilter and all the goodies. But the cops just tell that it is defective whereas in other countries we get street legal exhausts even if we use them here the cops catch the bikes and are penalised, for this thing to go off the scene, we need educated cops. Atleast people who can nderstand what we try to tell them.Mods please forgive me if i am writing a something non-valid here.
Althought I contemplated and heard same thing. I seriously doubt that as a possibility, the manufacturers have bikes here as a brand building excercise and it doesnt make much business sense.
Old 25th March 2009, 19:25   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't look like the cops in Bombay have been paid for that. They don't really bother you unless there is a big group of bikes making noise in a residential area and they regularly get complaints. Its usually because of some idiots on Indian bikes.

Besides, if the manufacturers have to do something like that they would contact the DRI, like they seem to have this time.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:59   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Ok,so if a bike is impounded after being found to be illegal,what next?The bike stays with the DRI until the current owner pays the appropriate duty? No further legal issues,right?
Old 26th March 2009, 17:15   #1394
Team-BHP Support

Just in, one of the older members has just been smitten by an official Blue R1! Manish is gonna have to travel a little to capture this one

manson.

Last edited by manson : 26th March 2009 at 17:17.
Old 27th March 2009, 07:10   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Just in, one of the older members has just been smitten by an official Blue R1! Manish is gonna have to travel a little to capture this one

manson.
Oversears? Ah..none-the-less,its an R1!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks