Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 04:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Was just checking the marketplace section for motorcycles. Most of the dealer ads for Superbikes seem to have vanished suddenly. Guess its pretty serious this time.
so now we know which bikes dont have clean papers

rev
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:38   #17
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Was just checking the marketplace section for motorcycles. Most of the dealer ads for Superbikes seem to have vanished suddenly. Guess its pretty serious this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
so now we know which bikes dont have clean papers

rev
No, because they dont want their phone numbers to be in out. Easy pickings you see.
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:46   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
in hyd, from what i have seen, most of them are bought in parts, with the duties paid just on the frame, very few bikes i have seen which have come in as full bikes.
Apart from my VFR which I imported myself and a Ducati that my friend imported most as you say have come in through the contraband route.

Its about time the DRI nailed these crooks. Apart from the govt being shortchanged on duties, the bikes run on fake papers and worse are pathetically put together.

Once we were horrified to observe 1 of the four bolts holding a R1 seat structure was missing and the pressure had sheared the other one too. Can you imagine what a horrific accident it would have been if the seat came off while riding !!

These bikes seem to have found favour with people wanting to enjoy superbikes bought with unaccounted cash

Last edited by DKG : 2nd March 2009 at 10:48.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:27   #19
BHPian

My 09 VMAX is coming in absolutely clean. So there's nothing like that, a person can get a car/bike from abroad but there are ways & obviously more money involved. However, it is still less than the price quoted by showrooms if they are sold officially in India by the manufacturer. Strange
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneroller View Post
My 09 VMAX is coming in absolutely clean. So there's nothing like that, a person can get a car/bike from abroad but there are ways & obviously more money involved. However, it is still less than the price quoted by showrooms if they are sold officially in India by the manufacturer. Strange
As long as you're paying around 140% duty and penalty its fine. If you under value it even a little bit, you're asking for trouble. Registration will be around 21% too.

The V-MAX costs 9L in the US itself. Do the math.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:56   #21
BHPian

Did the math - here it is

US MSRP $17,990
Trade Discount applied $2,699 15%
Base value $15,292
Shiping insurance $1,500
Landed Cost $16,792
Duty on new vehicle $17,295 103%
Total price $34,087
Cost in inr 1704337.25 50INR/$
Road tax and entry tax 357910.8225 21%
OTR price 2062248.073
Documentation and 100000
greasing costs

Actual price 2162248.073
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
As long as you're paying around 140% duty and penalty its fine.
What penalty are you talking about?

Quote:
If you under value it even a little bit, you're asking for trouble.
Why are you presuming that the V-Max would be undervalue, IR has clearly mentioned it would be a clean import.

manson.
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
What penalty are you talking about?

Why are you presuming that the V-Max would be undervalue, IR has clearly mentioned it would be a clean import.

manson.
There is a penalty for importing personally.

Well actually the best way to know that the bike is a clean import is to post pictures of it in the metal cage when it lands here in one piece.

Don't we already know a guy who imported a CBR and paid 13L for it and it was still under valued a "little bit"? Now he's hiding the bike. Lol. Then why pay that much? Just buy it from here for 9.5L

Last edited by straight6 : 2nd March 2009 at 18:36.
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:49   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well actually the best way to know that the bike is a clean import is to post pictures of it in the metal cage when it lands here in one piece.
You mean a wooden crate.

Quote:
Don't we already know a guy who imported a CBR and paid 13L for it and it was still under valued a "little bit"? Now he's hiding the bike. Lol. Then why pay that much? Just buy it from here for 9.5L
Well, why should it matter to either of us? And, I really doubt IR has to prove anything to anyone, its his money and eventually his motorcycle.
The holier than thou attitude has been slightly overdone, everyone has a darkside.

manson.
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:41   #25
BHPian

The crate could be either. brought mine down in metal
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

What if a bike has been sold multiple times (ie, after original owner/dealer got the bike into India), and now someone owns the bike with whatever papers came with it? Would someone like this be penalized too, or would the gun be pointed at the original owner/dealer?
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:34   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
What if a bike has been sold multiple times (ie, after original owner/dealer got the bike into India), and now someone owns the bike with whatever papers came with it? Would someone like this be penalized too, or would the gun be pointed at the original owner/dealer?
I'm guessing the current owner will have to pay the evaded duty as he will be at an immediate loss if the concerned authority impounds the vehicle.
Simultaneously, if the person who the current owner purchase it from turns out to be a dealer of sorts the concerned authority will most definitely take him to task as well.

manson.
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure about this,but how many people actually buy suck bikes with all the papers being intact? After all, there's only so many times a person can get away from cops after bribing them.
Any rules on how the duty is calculated,say for a bike thats 5 years old? based on the relevant duty on the bike's cost 5 years ago, or more on a current scale of cost?
Old 3rd March 2009, 05:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
You mean a wooden crate.
That crate has a metal cage inside it. All the official R1's come that way and in fact, all brand new bikes that I have seen abroad.
Old 3rd March 2009, 10:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Its about time the DRI nailed these crooks. Apart from the govt being shortchanged on duties
That was a real rib tickler. Good one DKG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks