Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 10:49   #151
BHPian

Hey , that is a good deal. How do I talk to DRI?
Old 20th July 2009, 11:35   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
As far as i have heard, they are giving away 600cc around 4.5 lacs.. That too in a very good condition. And believe me thats a steel. Imagine 07' R6!

I'll try and gather some info about getting in touch to DRI.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:45   #153

hey the rto has also jumped in to save their nose now
(after the DRI reistered a case on 18 RTO officers)
One of my Frends just got a notice from rto saying he has to show the original customs/ bill of duty papers in 15 days or else the bike will be deregistered and action taken
as for the bikes being auctioned that has not begun yet and will take a while longer.
also they guys leavin bikes behind are not the ones who loved thier bikes anyway
no gaurantee of the condition
Old 20th July 2009, 15:04   #154
BHPian

Please clarify if this guy summoned by RTO has a TR bike or a normal import, owns a 600 or 800+ bike & what registration, like MH-1/02/03 or 06/12 or some MP registration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMonk View Post
One of my Frends just got a notice from rto saying he has to show the original customs/ bill of duty papers in 15 days or else the bike will be deregistered and action taken
Old 20th July 2009, 19:48   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Why do you need to talk to them? Isn't your bike a TR?
Old 20th July 2009, 19:58   #156
Senior - BHPian

maybe he wants another one
Old 21st July 2009, 10:58   #157
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There was an article in the TOI about the RTO overhauling the entire superbike registration procedure. Apparently, some additional customs clearances & approvals are made mandatory now.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:00   #158
BHPian

The ToI Article

Thanks GTO for guiding to the article. But I was looking for if RTO is looking for re-verification of all bikes, old or new, or just certain types of them.

And for those like me. who don't read regularly ToI, I'm quoting below the entire article transcript.

Quote:
Tax-fleeing bikers hit RTO block
Roana Maria Costa I TNN

Mumbai: The Regional Transport Office (RTO) has tightened the rules that allowed owners of imported bikes to get away with either paying less tax or evading taxes altogether during registration. It has formulated, what it hopes, will be a water-tight four-point registration strategy—jointly with the customs department—to end the malpractice. The new system was started last Wednesday.

The RTO has been receiving complaints about two-wheeler owners furnishing wrong addresses and producing false documents (bills of entry) showing the cost of their vehicles as much lesser than the actual amount; this helps them to get away with shelling out lesser amounts in tax. Officials peg the cost of most imported bikes between Rs 6 lakh and Rs 10 lakh on which there is a uniform 7 % tax above the octroi.

State transport commissioner Deepak Kapoor told TOI that the new circular had already come into effect. “The papers are often bogus and the cost price is fudged,’’ he said.
Officials have now made it mandatory for owners to get a customs clearance certificate. RTO officials have also said that a copy of the PAN card must be submitted.

The common form of verification, earlier signed by a motor vehicles inspector followed by the signature of the assistant regional transport officer, will now require the signatures of the regional transport officer or his deputy. “This is being done as there was no accountability at the top level. The registration process will only start after this,’’ he said.

The registration papers will henceforth be posted to the owner instead of being handed over across the table. “The papers will be couriered to them. The papers may reach them a day late but this will help solve the bogus address problem,’’ he said.
Source ToI Website - Tax-fleeing bikers hit RTO block
Old 21st July 2009, 13:22   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
maybe he wants another one
Eggjactly.. I have an upright. Longing for a supersport . This way I can keep both
Old 21st July 2009, 13:24   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
As to my sources, though i am not sure, please don't grab me if i am wrong. The onwers who don't wish to pay the duties and let go of their beauties, DRI is selling them to whoever is willing to pay the duties and taxes and become the official owner.
For any government department to do this, they first have to claim title to their booty, and that by itself is a lenghty procedure.
For e.g. I know of a 600RR that had been picked up in 2003 and was auctioned sometime in early 2008.

The system was pretty much in place even before this whole fiasco. The recent developments are merely additions to the already existing system.
For instance if the custom officials at the respective seaports had been lawfully doing their duty, and further the R.T.O. officials would not have purposely overlooked the thrashy import documents the 'jhol' bikes would have never been registered in the first place.
In this case or any other, the laws have mostly always existed, its the enforcement that needs an overhaul.

manson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMonk View Post
From what I know, a copy of the Bill of Entry has to be submitted to the R.T.O. for the authority to determine the road tax and further register the vehicle under its jurisdiction. Without one I doubt they can possibly legally register any imported vehicle.
The Bill of Entry pretty much has nil value post registration, but is considered and is a very valuable document to have with the rest of the regular documents to an imported vehicle in India.
Infact say if your friend is the third, fourth buyer of the said vehicle I'm guessing he could probably apply to R.T.O. for the documents submitted to their office at the time of registration.

manson.

Last edited by v12 : 22nd July 2009 at 01:35.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:56   #161

hey given2fly
it was a 800+ MH 02 i think
apparently 500 odd notices out from the RTO
they want you to come and show the original papers of Bill of entry and duty etc
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:11   #162
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

What about superbikes owned by John Abraham, Salman Khan, Sanjay Gupta etc etc?? Have they seized these bikes as well?
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:45   #163
Team-BHP Support

Probably have, remember the media going nuts mentioning Ajay Devgan's name when the DRI initiated raids.

manson.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:56   #164
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading about Sanjay Gupta as well. Any news from the Bombay folk about whats happening?
Old 5th August 2009, 02:56   #165
BHPian

I heard even sanjay dutt is getting notices for his 599 ferrari .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks