Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 01:27   #226
Senior - BHPian

Just remember, even if the bike has a clearance letter, the owner is not allowed to sell (transfer the bike in someone else's name until the case is over).

You have to take permission from the DRI if you're taking the bike outside the state too.
Old 9th August 2010, 19:17   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Quote:
There is nothing like a 'DRI Clearance' note as such. If a bike is legal it should have necessary import documents.
If the owner claims that he got it verified with the DRI or any similar authority, ask for relevant paperwork.
If the owner claims he paid the necessary duty and other relevant penalties, as him for payment proof. Every government department issues a payment receipt irrespective of the amount.
that makes a lot of sense but from what i gather , all the illegal bikes had fake papers including bill of lading etc, so it might be difficult to differentiate between forged papers.

Quote:
Well, a simpler way would be to ask your local R.T.O. agent to have the registration papers verified with the R.T.O. office it is registered under.
should solve the problem, tho i dont know how long the process takes

Quote:
That is indeed true, but there are exceptions to the above too. But even then, the bikes will have relevant import paperwork.
i guess if there is a receipt for the amount of duty paid it might put to rest any suspicions
manson.
thanks a bunch manson for the advice, i see you have a blade, even tho i was a devout kawasaki fan all my riding life (94-2000)but even then i always thought that for india a 900rr would be ideal....i dunno about now tho been out of the loop and zx9s seem to have lost some ground, my most ridden bike was a 95 zx9r all tricked out and a zx7r........at 38 now a blade should keep me happy..i hope:P actually i found a few 929 that are in my budget, but i am confused , the 929 was supposed to be 2000-1 but the 929s i found here are supposedly 2002?. Also can a 2002 r1 be found in the same price range as a 02 929?

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Just remember, even if the bike has a clearance letter, the owner is not allowed to sell (transfer the bike in someone else's name until the case is over).

You have to take permission from the DRI if you're taking the bike outside the state too.
interesting, will have to ask this to the dealer who claim to furbish such document.

thanks again , i will report back with my experience
Old 9th August 2010, 23:52   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn View Post
thanks a bunch manson for the advice, i see you have a blade, even tho i was a devout kawasaki fan all my riding life (94-2000)but even then i always thought that for india a 900rr would be ideal....i dunno about now tho been out of the loop and zx9s seem to have lost some ground, my most ridden bike was a 95 zx9r all tricked out and a zx7r........
Man, do not get me started on the old school nine. Those make me go weak in the knees. Character, power, total bad *** stuff! I browsed more pictures of the nine that I have till date of any other bike.
Got some pictures of your nine?
One of my friends owned a 96 spec limited edition bat eyed 7r with a full muzzy system. He had brought it down from the US when he moved back, it belongs to a fellow bhpian now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn View Post
at 38 now a blade should keep me happy..i hope:P actually i found a few 929 that are in my budget, but i am confused , the 929 was supposed to be 2000-1 but the 929s i found here are supposedly 2002?. Also can a 2002 r1 be found in the same price range as a 02 929?
The 929 was a 2000-01 series. Period.
I was looking out for a 929 when I chanced upon my 954. Pre 2004 R1s do not command any serious premium as such, I infact think the 929 may just be slightly more expensive than an R1 of similar vintage and condition. Hondas are known for their reliability, and that would be topmost priority for me with regards to buying a decade old bike.

manson.
Old 11th August 2010, 01:54   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Man, do not get me started on the old school nine. Those make me go weak in the knees. Character, power, total bad *** stuff! I browsed more pictures of the nine that I have till date of any other bike.
Got some pictures of your nine?
One of my friends owned a 96 spec limited edition bat eyed 7r with a full muzzy system. He had brought it down from the US when he moved back, it belongs to a fellow bhpian now.

The 929 was a 2000-01 series. Period.
I was looking out for a 929 when I chanced upon my 954. Pre 2004 R1s do not command any serious premium as such, I infact think the 929 may just be slightly more expensive than an R1 of similar vintage and condition. Hondas are known for their reliability, and that would be topmost priority for me with regards to buying a decade old bike.

manson.
Manson, my 95 zx9r was/is the most extreme bike I have ridden, had a lot of work done on it but nothing cosmetical, my bike was making well over 160 bhp and the handling was out of this world…most of my friends and the ppl I hung out with had either gixers or 900rr and even tho kawa was regarded as too heavy to be flippin on streets etc, I found it quite the opposite
I actually preferred the zx9r for street if you are riding real hard, those cbr and gixers were scary if ridden hard in corners. My initial experience with the zx9r left me terrorized, humiliated but then I realized that the kawa makes u learn how to ride properly and once you “get it” then its very difficult to appreciate anything else…when I rode an r1 in 98 it did make me grin but it had nothing over my zx9.
Even for wheelies I found the zx9 much better, for me a cbr/gixer was only better if you are stunting in a parking lot , but on the street kawa is soo much more confident and planted. You have to keep in mind that I was 240 lbs then benching 400lbs so weight was not an issue for me, but this Belgian friend of mine who was like 100 lbs ( no kidding) preffered my zx9r over the cbrs etc
The zx7 I had was a rr, very sweet bike, totally stock as I never got around to do anything with it , mainly because it was so recognizable, and that defeats the whole purpose of the no pursuit law we had in florida…so zx7rr was a no no for street racing, I only put like 1500 miles on it in 4 years.
No pics of the zx9r , I miss her soo much :(, she is still safely tucked away in my sisters garage in cali…
Ah man someones gotta help me get back on a bike!
Old 26th August 2010, 17:16   #230
BHPian

Last week there was an article in the Times of India about 18 bikes still remaining with the DRI. It said that the DRI was planning to auction these and recover the duties.
This sounds interesting as these bikes could be considered absolutely clean if bought from the acution.
Anyone has any further info about this ? Date of the auction ? location ? contact person ? procedure ?
Old 26th August 2010, 17:42   #231
Team-BHP Support

Bikefreak,

See this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ai-18-nos.html

cya
R
Old 27th August 2010, 17:00   #232
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan for giving the link.

But the last post is of the 17th, does anyone have any more recent info ?
Old 24th October 2011, 18:17   #233
BHPian

Re: DRI gets cracking on Mumbai superbikes. Edit - Now other cities across India

There are rumors that the dri are going to be back again, hope all the guys riding grey bikes paid their custom duties..
Old 24th May 2012, 08:06   #234
BHPian

DRI Action on Superbikes In Kochi!!

We were in for a surprise yesterday. Took our blade for a liitle checkup at our trusted mechanics place and found three not so familiar faces in the garage. The mechanics dad came to us and asked if we had all the papers, or else leave immediately. On further inquiry we found out that the three gentlemen inside were none other than the "feared and fabled" DRI officials. Our's was an Indian invoiced bike so no issues. A Super Blackbird was not so lucky. It was nicked by the officials and hauled off. The bike was a foreign national's bike bought here on a yacht and bike had some mechanical issues and was bought in for service. Don't know whats gonna happen now, just hoping that the guy gets back his love back without much trouble. So guys, if you have a 'Grey' bike in or around Kochi, its better to move it to some place safer, till everything cools off.

Last edited by Dr.Awesomeness : 24th May 2012 at 08:19.
Dr.Awesomeness is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 11:37   #235
Senior - BHPian

Re: DRI Action In Kochi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post
We were in for a surprise yesterday. Took our blade for a liitle checkup at our trusted mechanics place and found three not so familiar faces in the garage. The mechanics dad came to us and asked if we had all the papers, or else leave immediately. On further inquiry we found out that the three gentlemen inside were none other than the "feared and fabled" DRI officials. Our's was an Indian invoiced bike so no issues. A Super Blackbird was not so lucky. It was nicked by the officials and hauled off. The bike was a foreign national's bike bought here on a yacht and bike had some mechanical issues and was bought in for service. Don't know whats gonna happen now, just hoping that the guy gets back his love back without much trouble. So guys, if you have a 'Grey' bike in or around Kochi, its better to move it to some place safer, till everything cools off.
Are you refering to the blackbird from thrissur TN-38 registered ? any way thanks for the information.
Old 24th May 2012, 13:22   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as I know most of the big bikes in Cochin are grey market ones. There was a mechanic in the Kaloor region who was telling me to pick up a 600 last year as a couple of them had come up for sale (he had grossly overestimated the size of my wallet .....) . When I kept pressing him on details of the papers I found out that they werent in place so I didnt even bother finding about more details.
Old 24th May 2012, 14:49   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Are you refering to the blackbird from thrissur TN-38 registered ? any way thanks for the information.
Nope, the one am talking about is a different bike. The bike is on foreign plates, owned by a foreign national.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:14   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, the one am talking about is a different bike. The bike is on foreign plates, owned by a foreign national.
Well isn't this stepping beyond their mandate. Unless that foreigner was staying in India from a long time and DRI was tipped off.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:57   #239
BHPian

Re: DRI Action on Superbikes In Kochi!!

Quote:
.. So guys, if you have a 'Grey' bike in or around Kochi, its better to move it to some place safer, till everything cools off.
common. If its a 'Grey' bike it has to be impounded, recover the loss of duties/tax with interest. why are we talking about hiding? supporting the crime. So somebody has saved on import duties and others like you and me will keep on repaying for it with hiked fuel prices!

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 24th May 2012 at 15:58.
the VTEC guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 17:28   #240
Senior - BHPian

Re: DRI Action on Superbikes In Kochi!!

I heard that the foreign national was carrying the bike on a yacht and did not have permission/approval/papers to use the bike in India. However, since his bike developed an issue, which could not be fixed on board the yacht, it was taken to a local mechanic - where the DRI took the bike into custody.

The black blackbird from Thrissur is safe and sound. It is a legal import.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks