Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 17:32   #1
BHPian

FZ1 Ownership Thread

The Superbike Dream ……….its just the beginning!

After looking around for many pre owned sbk’s one day I finally landed up at Yamaha Riders showroom where the Fz1 was on display. The overall look and stance of the bike was good and felt good to ride. The price also seemed right for a 150bhp machine. Finally I decided to book it. It was March the 10th.

The bike landed up at the showroom on 29th. I was impatiently waiting for the Thursday to come when I will have time to go and pick up the bike. The morning started with completion of formalities and documentation. The PDI was set for the evening at 8 pm. We reached the showroom at 7ish , only to see that the bike is ready and final checks are being done on it. The Chief Engineer Nitin briefed me with the basic procedures. After this I was asked to take a brief ride to see if all things were right.

I got on to the main road , ready to launch the bike . Slotted it into first gear , slowly and steadily rolled the throttle and zip. Before I know ,I was already doing 50-60 kmph , I put it in the 2nd gear and now I was touching 80’s . I decided to slow down and put the bike in 4/5th gear. I was cruising easily and throwing the bike around in traffic. It is a very street friendly bike. The effort required to counter steer is way less than the super sports category bikes. The bike felt a little heavy yet nimble. The power is usable and is complemented by the immense stability. After a 3 km ride came back to do the remaining formalities at the Factory Shop.

Now it was time to gear up , fill fuel and head to the open roads. It had been quite some time since we went to Sunny da Dhaba. So me , Vipin , Satyajit and Alok started from YFS for Sunny da Dhaba.

I started riding the bike through city traffic. Riding the FZ1 was a breeze. With the wide and high handle bars its easy to zip through traffic. The only problem so far was the raising temp. The bike was running at around 90 degrees and I cud feel sitting on a hot pan. But unlike the super sports , my legs were not frying with engine heat. We slowly started moving towards the outskirts . I started hitting 80’s and 90’s. The temperature started coming down to mid 80’s and then to 82 degrees at 90kmph in 6th gear. The bike was doing 90kmph at around 3500 rpm. At 82 , the heat through the seat was not bothering me anymore. The moment we got onto the 4 lane highways , I started giving bursts to the bike. Reaching 120 kmph at times and riding at 80 most of the times.

After crossing Kamshet , there are a couple of corners. I took it easy and felt the bike was really really stable. Near the Dhaba , where the road was completely empty , I halted. I wanted to test the acceleration in the first gear. Revved the bike to around 7-8k rpm and then launched it, slipping the clutch. I hit around 130 at 10k rpm in no time. This was intoxicating. Now I realized why people keep on saying that you gotta respect the immense power these bikes have. I took it easy on the way back. Riding mostly at 80 and short bursts to 100-110. The bike started heating as I started slowing down. By the time I reached home , it was already at 92 degrees. After parking , I had to wait for another hour to put the covers on it. The beast was ridden , its power felt and understood the respect it deserves.
Fz1 ,The Mighty Beast.

FZ1 Ownership Thread-1.jpg

FZ1 Ownership Thread-2.jpg

FZ1 Ownership Thread-3.jpg

FZ1 Ownership Thread-4.jpg

FZ1 Ownership Thread-5.jpg

FZ1 Ownership Thread-6.jpg

FZ1 Ownership Thread-7.jpg

FZ1 Ownership Thread-8.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2011 at 12:27. Reason: Inserting your pictures inline, for better readability
Old 6th April 2011, 17:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Beautiful looking bike there.How comfortable is the bike?

How tall are you? How much do you have to lean to grab the handle? I see that this handlebar is slightly different than the one on the Fazer 1000.Probably to give it a more street fighter look.

have you done a long ride on it? How much does a tankful last right now?
Old 6th April 2011, 18:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Beautiful looking bike there.How comfortable is the bike?

How tall are you? How much do you have to lean to grab the handle? I see that this handlebar is slightly different than the one on the Fazer 1000.Probably to give it a more street fighter look.

I am 5'11" , sitting is almost upright. its like ninja/220. (check cycle-ergo.com) . I did 100k's on it the first day. Total 170 ish done so far. Fuel guage shows half . It was full tank on day 1 before the start of ride. I am expecting 250 easily to around 300 in a tankful.
Old 6th April 2011, 19:25   #4
BHPian

Am envious!!!! And, also miss my bike :o(
Congrats dude, have a blast, but ride safe. How much did it cost you in total?
Old 6th April 2011, 20:06   #5
BHPian

Congratulations Nikhil, bike look stunning. How is the ride on broken indian road, is it soft or harsh.

My favourite is BMW GS 800, hope it will launch in India.
Old 6th April 2011, 20:26   #6

Congrats very impressive. I would like to know if you don't mind, the ex showroom price and also the on road price of your beauty. I have always dreamed of owning a sbk. Will keep my finger crossed for that fateful day. Have a great time. Keep revving
Old 6th April 2011, 22:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

One of the best Motorcycle to grace Indian shores.

You get my vote and the color is sick
Old 7th April 2011, 03:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Did 275 with 4-5L reserve.(when Ftrip on console popped up)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Am envious!!!! And, also miss my bike :o(
Congrats dude, have a blast, but ride safe. How much did it cost you in total?
Its 8.7 ex showroom ,OTR 1 Million
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Congratulations Nikhil, bike look stunning. How is the ride on broken indian road, is it soft or harsh.

My favourite is BMW GS 800, hope it will launch in India.
Ride is very comfortable. IF you want a bike which you can use everyday , for touring and for short occasional rides , this is the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleravee View Post
Congrats very impressive. I would like to know if you don't mind, the ex showroom price and also the on road price of your beauty. I have always dreamed of owning a sbk. Will keep my finger crossed for that fateful day. Have a great time. Keep revving
Its 8.7 ex showroom , OTR 1 Million
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
One of the best Motorcycle to grace Indian shores.

You get my vote and the color is sick
Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2011 at 14:46. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 7th April 2011, 03:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

awesome initial review and congrats on bike!

a few questions:
1.does the bike heat up a lot in traffic?
2.what fuel are you using? 97octane or regular fuel with octane boosters?
3.i have seen a silver fz1 here with a belly pan when being delivered, is that an add-on available from Yamaha India itself?

since the engine here is essential the same as the prev gen r1 was wondering the above as me and a few common friends have faced issues with engine knocking and heat on our r1's.

wishing you miles and miles of happy biking!

take care and congrats once again on an amazing and sensible buy

Last edited by aadix : 7th April 2011 at 03:52.
Old 7th April 2011, 05:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

oye phaape, this is a REALLY good show. So I am sure the LB500 (or whichever bullet you were recently riding) is now retired from active touring duties

Congrats - I was quite worried after you ditched the 220 in favor of the 500 and possibly for good!!
Old 7th April 2011, 10:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
a few questions:
1.does the bike heat up a lot in traffic?
2.what fuel are you using? 97octane or regular fuel with octane boosters?
3.i have seen a silver fz1 here with a belly pan when being delivered, is that an add-on available from Yamaha India itself?
take care and congrats once again on an amazing and sensible buy
1. The bike does reach 90 degrees when u doing 30-40 in traffic . This is quite manageable I guess.
2. I had put in Speed 97 first time as I had not read the manual. From last night onwards I am going to put in regular 91 octane fuel as recommended in manual.
3. No add ons available from Yammie India. And silver is not a standard colour , was it a white one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oye phaape, this is a REALLY good show. So I am sure the LB500 (or whichever bullet you were recently riding) is now retired from active touring duties

Congrats - I was quite worried after you ditched the 220 in favor of the 500 and possibly for good!!
Thanks dude
I still have the 500LB and will use it for rides where there could be mud/slush. FZ1 cud also rest at home during monsoons.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:54   #12
BHPian

congrats on the new bike bro. just let me know if you are looking for a exhaust. got a full system akrapovic, got it for a fazer but sold it in a week. PM me if you are interested, ride safe
Old 7th April 2011, 11:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats,she looks hot.
and is also my pick from the current bikes on sale in India.
Ride safe
Old 7th April 2011, 11:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Nikhil. The FZ1 does look marvelous in white. What other choices did you have in mind and what made you zero in on the FZ? The CB1000R was a definite contender in my assumption?

I am guessing this will go unnoticed as it looks very similar to the FZ16 (no offense) except for the fat tires and the header pipes. Or do you get mobbed like most guys on a superbike do?

Anyway, wishing you many years of happy and safe riding.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huwaeiguy View Post
congrats on the new bike bro. just let me know if you are looking for a exhaust. got a full system akrapovic, got it for a fazer but sold it in a week. PM me if you are interested, ride safe
Thanks dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Congrats,she looks hot.
and is also my pick from the current bikes on sale in India.
Ride safe
Thanks buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Congrats Nikhil. The FZ1 does look marvelous in white. What other choices did you have in mind and what made you zero in on the FZ? The CB1000R was a definite contender in my assumption?

I am guessing this will go unnoticed as it looks very similar to the FZ16 (no offense) except for the fat tires and the header pipes. Or do you get mobbed like most guys on a superbike do?

Anyway, wishing you many years of happy and safe riding.
Thanks dude.
Factors in favour of yamaha fz1 (bikes in contention cb1000 and 796)
1. I love the brand Yamaha in comparison to Honda. (Ducati is equal)
2. Meaty looking. cb1000 is too sleek and small , 796 is small.
3. Local service center (lacks in Ducati)
4. Reliable and in like 4 jap (lacks in 796)
5. More HP for same amount of money
6. CB is 1.5L more expensive for no reason.
7. Cost of service , between 4 and 5 k (Ducati is 10-15ish)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks