Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2013, 00:34   #436
BHPian

Well why only a Fortuner or a Pajero even a Rexton is a serious contender in sub 22 lac category. XUV W8 also fills the gap but the niggles reported with it is a dampner. And not to miss the Endevour as well. Its a pretty decent SUV too.
Old 22nd December 2013, 07:56   #437
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which is the best diesel 4WD (Not AWD) SUV under 22 lac INR?

This gent's CBR has done those kilometers and he has an Accord which has done close to 7L miles. Now that is a lot.

BTW, have a look as well.

4,00,000 kms of usage would mean, either you would have to retain your car or let it go for a pittance.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 10:06   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Well why only a Fortuner or a Pajero even a Rexton is a serious contender in sub 22 lac category. XUV W8 also fills the gap but the niggles reported with it is a dampner. And not to miss the Endevour as well. Its a pretty decent SUV too.
I agree, regarding the Rexton Especially as it has Mercedes Engine, but it is at best still a SoftRoader. Here is a link to the Top Gear review from early this year

I believe the Endy is going to be priced at around 28-30 OTR and the sheer resale value of a Fortuner would give it that edge

The Yeti, is a great vehicle technically but is still an SUV Wannabe and , as mentioned by everyone, has the presence of a Sedan. in fact i personally feel the Octavia has a better presence than that. For me it can only be a Head based decision and no connect with the Heart ! the VW Tiguan , if it is launched, is what really would float my boat over it, despite it also having only 5 seats.

So Tata Storme and XUV are the only reasonable options in this price range
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:29   #439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
I agree, regarding the Rexton Especially as it has Mercedes Engine, but it is at best still a SoftRoader.
If Rexton is a soft roader, then what is XUV?

XUV, is a monocoque, has an AWD (not a 4X4) and GC is no where near that of the Rexton. Rexton would anyday be my choice over the XUV.

Quote:
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:33   #440
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
Seems so, but then, they don't last like the others. Also, the XUV is a crossover without 4H & 4L and hence doesn't fit my requirements. The Rexton, in its AT avatar doesnt have a proper 4WD system and is an AWD.

Tough situation I tell ya...

Last edited by n.devdath : 23rd December 2013 at 09:35.
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:00   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Seems so, but then, they don't last like the others. Also, the XUV is a crossover without 4H & 4L and hence doesn't fit my requirements. The Rexton, in its AT avatar doesnt have a proper 4WD system and is an AWD.

Hmm. Devdath, I read the opening post again to understand the requirement.

10 Yrs is a very long time, and frankly speaking I don't see any vehicle holding up to 10 yrs other than the TOYOTAS. But the fortuner is ruled out already as it is not VFM as per you.

Can we convert this period to KMS ? Say 2L kms or 3L kms. Then the home bred SAFARI has a very good shot at it.
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:10   #442
BHPian

Quote:

But are you looking at AT? Doesn't it come with low ratio GB in manual version. RX 5.
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:22   #443
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
10 Yrs is a very long time, and frankly speaking I don't see any vehicle holding up to 10 yrs other than the TOYOTAS. But the fortuner is ruled out already as it is not VFM as per you.

Can we convert this period to KMS ? Say 2L kms or 3L kms. Then the home bred SAFARI has a very good shot at it.
Do think the Fortuner is VFM?

Yes, we can. I m looking at 4l kms, for not just the engine and other mechanical parts but the cabin and trim as well. I know that regular replacements of the clutch plates, batteries, tires, brake pads, hoses etc will happen but I do not want/like plastics breaking, cracking and falling apart (like most Mahindras and Tatas), because these small bits and pieces are simply not available to purchase with the dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
But are you looking at AT? Doesn't it come with low ratio GB in manual version. RX 5.
Nope, I m ok with a manual tranny but then Rx5 loses out on a lot of features compared to the Rx-7, and somehow, the cost of maintaining Hariya(My Scorpio SLX CRDe) gives me shivers about purchasing another Mahindra. Read my ownership thread and you will know.
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:21   #444
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Wrong korean pedigree again.

It may be something new for Indians but I have seen too much of the Ssayangyong Musso of the Gulf and Daewoo Rextron of Saudi Arabia.

It is a poor vehicle with terrible drivetrain systems which will give its owners a lot of pain from year two onwards.

I have seen all kind of failures with these vehicles and their cousin called Galloper which was a poor mans Pajero of 1980s version.

Quote:
is all I can say.
Not a crossover like a Nissan Murano.

Read what I wrote with a Poetic Licence.

It is a hastily put together piece for third world countries and in India a competitor for Fortuner.

Just let them have the guts to put a petrol engine in it and compete with Fortuner in the middle east.

The pedigree, the refinement the development has not happened.

A straight pick from farm trucks.

The SFX so called in India is a capable off roader only flaw being excessive body roll.

But this one new Pajero lacks ride quality and refinements.

And of course off roading in a 30 lakh vehicle is not a common thing in India so who cares ?

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2013 at 12:16. Reason: Merging back to back posts
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:38   #445
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
It is a hastily put together piece for third world countries and in India a competitor for Fortuner.
So? All Co's do that. The Fortuner is based on the Hilux/IMV, the Endy on the Everest/Ranger and the Sport on the Triton.

If need an SUV which is not based on a pick up truck, it prolly starts with the FL-2 which is much more expensive and not worth the price.

Quote:
A straight pick from farm trucks.
So what?
What is wrong in a pick up truck based SUV?

Quote:
Just let them have the guts to put a petrol engine in it and compete with Fortuner in the middle east.
As a buyer who wants to buy something for Indian usage, why should I be concerned about this?

Quote:
The pedigree, the refinement the development has not happened.
Quote:
But this one new Pajero lacks ride quality and refinements.
Really? Where and how?
Quote:
The SFX so called in India is a capable off roader only flaw being excessive body roll.
Quote:
And of course off roading in a 30 lakh vehicle is not a common thing in India so who cares ?
This thread is NOT about buying an offroading vehicle.
Old 23rd December 2013, 12:02   #446
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner actually sells in developed markets with a 2.7 petrol engine and 4000 cc IGRFE engine V6 which is a legend on its own. Even lower end landcruisers come with this engine now I drove many of them in LC 200 during route making runs for rallies.

This is courage and daring to compete internationally.

This one called new Pajero.

Is the interior so good ?
Is there an A/T version offered ?
Does it have options of refinement ?
Is a full time 4WD available ?

Is the roll of the body in control ?
Is the ride quality good ? The two examples I drove did not impress me here. It was last month that I drove for over 200 km during an election campaign in Rajasthan.

I was not happy with the car.
Old 23rd December 2013, 12:44   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the ride quality good ?
Do you consider the Fortuner's ride-quality good? Perhaps these things are subjective, but I found the Fortuner very bumpy, and with an uncomfortable 2nd row that has barely enough seat area to plonk your backside.

It is a lot of money to pay for being uncomfortable all the time for the sake of resale and reliability.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd December 2013 at 12:47.
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:58   #448
BANNED

Quote:
Fortuner actually sells in developed markets with a 2.7 petrol engine and 4000 cc IGRFE engine V6 which is a legend on its own. Even lower end landcruisers come with this engine now I drove many of them in LC 200 during route making runs for rallies.
How is this relevant in the Indian context?
How many customers would buy such thirsty engines here given the high fuel prices?

Quote:
Is the interior so good ?
Better than the Fortuner in quality and layout. The Fortuner is just like an Innova on the inside.
Quote:
Is there an A/T version offered ?
Does the Fortuner have a 4WD AT variant?

Quote:
Does it have options of refinement ?
Sorry, what?
Quote:
Is a full time 4WD available ?
Why do I need one when 90% of the roads can be traveled in 2wd?

Quote:
Is the roll of the body in control ?
Absolutely, better than the Fortuner.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 18:44   #449
Senior - BHPian

Just ran into this thread by accident, I cannot help but notice that n.devdath has been researching vehicles left right & center, which is a very good thing to do !! But over 3 to 4 years is a stretch in my opinion.

I recall quite clearly that you had come to see my older Pajero - I think it was in 2009 or 2010 & from then to now you are now the "know it all" of the SUV's of all kinds...kudos to that spirit.

But I am curious to know if this is your hobby or are you actually looking to buy something ?

All the best for the "hunt"

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 21:48   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I cannot help but notice that n.devdath has been researching vehicles left right & center, which is a very good thing to do !!
Guess that is his job... . He is a automotive journalist..

I hope the other forum members are not worried about this...

Last edited by 4x4addict : 24th December 2013 at 22:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks